Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Atlas Hugged posted:

GRRM has said he's burning his notes if he kicks it.

Did he ever give any reasoning for that anyway? It seems like such a bitch move. Not that anyone's gonna care about the books anyway once the show is finished.

Also the answer to "what fantasy books to read?" is always going to be the original Conan the Barbarian stuff by Robert E Howard. It's really nice to read fantasy that's 1) really well written and 2) doesn't try to be a 10,000-page epic. Just fairly simple stories told extremely well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Apparently the Robert Jordan Conan is good too.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I wonder what HBO is gonna do once GoT is over? I'd be down for a Conan series that adapts most of the original Robert E. Howard stories. Seems like there'd be lots of cross-over appeal for GoT people - sorcerers, T&A, anachronistic quasi-historical settings, political intrigue, etc. Sure, Conan would have plot armor but everyone else is fair game. Hell, they could probably just re-use the GoT sets and shooting locations with some minor changes. You could probably get 3-4 seasons out of it.

Shows have been trying to ape got for years now and aside from two seasons of Spartacus and occasionally Vikings they have been exceedingly garbito.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I feel like GRRM wouldn't actually burn his notes, and with the show it'd be futile anyway. They could just novelize the show starting with the last couple of seasons as a work around if the estate wouldn't allow a Sanderson to finish it officially.

GRRM probably just said that as a defense mechanism against people praying for his death and it's hard to blame him in that context.

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.
i wanna see Adventures of Dunk & Egg

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I hope a giant steps on some more people.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If he is dead how is he gonna burn the notes?

I hope a giant steps on him.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

The notes are inside his brain you see and they will cremate his body

It's a play on words, imbecile

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

im cute posted:

Shows have been trying to ape got for years now and aside from two seasons of Spartacus and occasionally Vikings they have been exceedingly garbito.

Spartacus came first and is more like 300 than Thrones.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Fartbox posted:

Tell me of some good books that are as good as or better than "Game of thrones book 1-8 or howver many are out right now"

I need some good reading

Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe

No watery poops though

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

ElGroucho posted:

No watery poops though

:smith:

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
Stupid question, but who were the guys dying at the lake when Seal Team 7 was there? First you see someone getting whacked offscreen by the undead bear, then someone falls and crashes through the ice along with several zombies, then later in the fight someone falls over the edge of the low cliff and is quickly despatched by the zombie horde. I did not notice any cannon fodder leaving Eastwatch with the Brotherhood of Snow. Were they random freefolk? Or did they tag along with the group / follow Tormund?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Sioux posted:

Stupid question, but who were the guys dying at the lake when Seal Team 7 was there? First you see someone getting whacked offscreen by the undead bear, then someone falls and crashes through the ice along with several zombies, then later in the fight someone falls over the edge of the low cliff and is quickly despatched by the zombie horde. I did not notice any cannon fodder leaving Eastwatch with the Brotherhood of Snow. Were they random freefolk? Or did they tag along with the group / follow Tormund?

They tagged along. You can see them leaving Eastwatch and walking with the group. Just redshirts, I think wildlings.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

solar energy panel posted:

Spartacus came first and is more like 300 than Thrones.

Spartacus owned!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Ros

Ros was a prostitute working at Winterfell, she was very intelligent and had the kind of "street smarts" Littlefinger likes, so she wound up working for him. Ross was killed by a crossbow, an analogy for the consequences of her sinful life.

Doreah

Doreah was a prostitute hired by Viserys to bang him and show Dany how to bang correctly. She betrayed Dany by working with Michael Clarke Duncan and was subsequently locked in an empty vault with him to die of thirst, an analogy for the consequences of her sinful life.

Shae

Shae was a prostitute hired by Tyrion to pretend to be his girlfriend and bang. Tyrion is betrayed by her when it is revealed she was a prostitute who was pretending to be his girlfriend and bang. She was strangled by Tyrion, an analogy for the consequences of her sinful life.

Mole's Town Prostitute

The Mole's Town prostitute was a bigoted northern woman who hated wildlings, claiming they are bloodthirsty cannibal savages. She is killed by bloodthirsty cannibal savage wildlings, an analogy for the consequences of her sinful life.

Olyvar

A male prostitute in the employ of Littlefinger, Olyvar had trysts with both the Red Viper and Loras Tyrell. He testifies against Loras to the Faith Militant and is presumably tortured horribly until his death from a massive wildfire explosion, an analogy for the consequences of his sinful life.

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

etalian posted:

Spartacus owned!

Season 1 was a masterpiece with the most satisfying ending of all time.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

She had some of the nicest titties in GOT

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Fartbox posted:

Tell me of some good books that are as good as or better than "Game of thrones book 1-8 or howver many are out right now"

I need some good reading

Asimov's Foundation. They're doing a tv version of it for HBO as well and I'm super scared it'll be poo poo.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I'm still convinced Shae was poisoning Tywin and one day Tyrion is going to find out and drink himself to death.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Coohoolin posted:

I'm still convinced Shae was poisoning Tywin and one day Tyrion is going to find out and drink himself to death.

She was trying to give him a heart attack by loving him to death.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Fartbox posted:

It's not as bad because you knew it was bad going in. Expectations lowered

Anyway, the reason they don't use dragonglass arrows is because then the white walkers would just do this:

Because teh show is an anime now

The show has always been anime.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Universe Master posted:

She was trying to give him a heart attack by loving him to death.

Decent way to check out, imo

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Coohoolin posted:

Well, I'm convinced. You're delusional.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

El Padrino posted:

She told Theon if he didn't want to pay, he ought to get himself a wife. Think about how much better his life would have been if he proposed then and there.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

El Padrino posted:

I think Fake Sansa still wins this important contest

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

She told Theon if he didn't want to pay, he ought to get himself a wife. Think about how much better his life would have been if he proposed then and there.

Theon really should've been content being a noble fuckboy. Live with a loving if dumb family, bang hookers, go hunting and stuff. Eventually marry into some minor northern house probably.

But I guess living on some lovely islands and having to murder fishermen for your food and clothes sounded better. Didn't turn out so well for him.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

bloom posted:

Theon really should've been content being a noble fuckboy. Live with a loving if dumb family, bang hookers, go hunting and stuff. Eventually marry into some minor northern house probably.

But I guess living on some lovely islands and having to murder fishermen for your food and clothes sounded better. Didn't turn out so well for him.

Don't forget molesting your sister.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bloom posted:

Theon was basically the GoT version of weeaboo.

Oh I pine for the noble authentic Iron Islands culture!

He basically threw away being able to motorboat Ros titties every night.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

etalian posted:

He basically threw away being able to motorboat Ros titties every night.

lol, he deserved everything that happened to him.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
This whole series could've been a heartwarming yet sexy sitcom of Theon and Ros's marriage. :unsmith:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The Whorecast, a podcast by sex workers talking about sex worker rights and such, had an episode with one of the women who was hired specifically for nude work on Game of Thrones. She talks a bit about how HBO casts people for those roles and the experience of the shoots.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

bloom posted:

This whole series could've been a heartwarming yet sexy sitcom of Theon and Ros's marriage. :unsmith:

Theon comes home from work, naked Tyrion moving naked from hiding place to hiding place behind Theon's back as he tries to make his exit while a laugh track plays.

Theon keeps hearing noises behind him, finally Ros has to reveal the outfit she's wearing under her robe to distract him. The laugh track makes the "WOOOOOOOOO!" sound then a giant steps on Tyrion.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I just realized the hound said yarp in hot fuzz

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I forget. Did the show ever give Theon his "I only ever wanted to be a Stark," line?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP-H16OYOqE&t=158s

should've played caruso while draggin' out the dragon

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Fartbox posted:

I need some good reading

Black company books were always good I liked em. Details a mercenary company and their jobs in a low fantasy world, written by an ex-military guy.

*ed*

Also if you got a lust for character death Black company does it in droves.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 19, 2017

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.

ElGroucho posted:

Caligula: The Series

gently caress that, a new version of "I, Claudius" would be dope

imagine how terrible that would be if the likes of D&D did it

find a showrunner willing to stick to the source material and it would be dank although the BBC teleplay still holds up to this day

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm excited for D&D's next project, "Confederate"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ArmZ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP-H16OYOqE&t=158s

should've played caruso while draggin' out the dragon

Everybody should watch Fitzcarraldo, it's the most impressive and fascinating movie ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

steinrokkan posted:

Everybody should watch Fitzcarraldo, it's the most impressive and fascinating movie ever made.

If ur bored of GoT, watch Herzog - Kinski collaborations.