Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

I'm still tempted to try to get my hands on a 1080Ti to replace my 980Ti, which struggles some with 1440P@144 without lowering quality settings. Please stop me from/encourage me into making bad decisions with my money.

I went from sli 980tis to sli 1080tis....look into your heart for the answer you seek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Fauxtool posted:

:hfive:

how low settings are you talking? Have you tried looking up what settings actually matter in the particular game you have having issues with? Sometimes stuff like reflections takes up way too much resources for what you may not even notice.

Yeah, I've done the research on the games in question--Final Fantasy 14, Prey, and (strangely enough--or perhaps not, if you play high difficulty zones with lots of ground effects) Path of Exile are the most recent notables that churn somewhat. A couple of cases I've found have, like you said, had settings where I get a lot of gain without a lot of sacrifice, but to stay consistently above 60 (let alone approach 144) I have to make quality settings noticeably worse. Medium, medium-high presets, like. (DOOM ran like a fuckin' dream though, still scratching my head on that one.)

I also have an HTC Vive that could stand for an upgrade on the 980Ti just because absolute consistency at getting 90FPS is so much more important in VR, but that I consider secondary because I haven't used it in a while.

Scarecow posted:

I went from sli 980tis to sli 1080tis....look into your heart for the answer you seek

My heart tells me "spend the money, get the frames" but my brain tells me "don't be a daft arse just because you have the money" :saddowns:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

redeyes posted:

Lets say you were AMD. You just burned through a few years of capital developing an architecture that basically is a complete failure. What do you do? Eat the cost and dev a new architecture or spin it like Trump?

Eat the cost, no question. It hurts, it slows down recovery financially, but it also means units are moved to begin with and it means I'm not losing good will with the consumer base. Being shady as gently caress and trying to keep margins up makes no sense when it means people end up avoiding you and never buying your product at all. I'd also focus on making Vega 10 have a short as possible production run, and probably make those cards Workstation/HPC/AI as much as possible. If Vega 11 and 12 are real I'd focus my energy on them - they might not best a 1070 or 1080 but the margins on them would be way better and they'd have tangible performance improvements over the Polaris series, etc.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Ciaphas posted:

Final Fantasy 14

For this game if you already have a 980Ti, you're not limited by your GPU or probably even your CPU, because at that performance level, you're not waiting on your own system to produce all the catgirls in town on your screen faster, you're waiting for the servers to crunch through netcode to deliver what the catgirls are going to do next on your screen. Other players' actions create small amounts of overhead that really, really add up once you have 250+ players (and their chocobos) in your channel/instance dogpiling on a FATE.

e: In other words, the Internet sucks when hundreds of thousands of people who play the same game don't live less than 10km from you and the servers.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 19, 2017

Betty
Apr 14, 2008
So I really enjoy my Asus MG279Q 144hz Freesync monitor. I bought it a while back because I use a couple old r290's with the thought that I'll consider upgrading to Vega once it actually was released but I'm not really in any hurry. Now the cards are on the table and its clear they're in deep poo poo. A Vega 64 is meant to perform at the level of a 1080 yet costs, at rough glance, $180 more, will run up your electricity bill more than a 1080, and when it comes to gaming only performs better in a few cases so has on average worse performance than a 1080. Even a 1080 ti is roughly 10-20 bucks more than the 64 and it clearly outperforms it. I guess I feel kinda bad for them but maybe I shouldn't? They hosed up big time and its all sinking in during this release fiasco. I mean I have a freesync monitor and, if I objectively look at it all, have little desire to upgrade to Vega. I guess brand loyalty will help a little but man... They really hosed this up.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Zero VGS posted:

Lol you bought ten? Hope you can return them if you can't flip them.

Nah just two, probably going to flip them to Canadians at a slight profit for myself / deal to them as my way of sticking it to the man. I'm personally looking forward to Sapphire's iteration of the custom PCB. Still really impressed with the Tri-X Fury OC they did.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I'm still tempted to try to get my hands on a 1080Ti to replace my 980Ti, which struggles some with 1440P@144 without lowering quality settings. Please stop me from/encourage me into making bad decisions with my money.

Playing on high settings rather than ultra is not going to be a huge difference.

Betty posted:

So I really enjoy my Asus MG279Q 144hz Freesync monitor. I bought it a while back because I use a couple old r290's with the thought that I'll consider upgrading to Vega once it actually was released but I'm not really in any hurry. Now the cards are on the table and its clear they're in deep poo poo. A Vega 64 is meant to perform at the level of a 1080 yet costs, at rough glance, $180 more, will run up your electricity bill more than a 1080, and when it comes to gaming only performs better in a few cases so has on average worse performance than a 1080. Even a 1080 ti is roughly 10-20 bucks more than the 64 and it clearly outperforms it. I guess I feel kinda bad for them but maybe I shouldn't? They hosed up big time and its all sinking in during this release fiasco. I mean I have a freesync monitor and, if I objectively look at it all, have little desire to upgrade to Vega. I guess brand loyalty will help a little but man... They really hosed this up.

I have the same monitor just get a 1080 or ti and call it a day. I sold a 390 and used the money to buy a 980 ti for the same cost and the added fps makes up for lack of freesync. You notice less tearing at higher fps. Those frame drops can be kind of annoying though.

I cant bring myself to spend more than $300 anywho and it seems like 980 ti is more of an upgrade than a rx 580. I am pretty happy to play at high settings in most games at 100 fps. Maybe next year I can get the Vega 64 when it tanks down to $300 lol.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evaBde4MKDQ

Linus, Luke, JayzTwoCents and Dimitri have a discussion about the AMD price fiasco and bullshit embargo dates. They discuss the possibility of creating a union or alliance of tech tubers to coordinate video releases when the alliance is ready, and not when the embargo lifts.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wonder how many holocubes AMD will send linus to appease him this time

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Ciaphas posted:

I am on the same fence but will keep waiting for Volta because "only" 50 fps instead of 60+ fps on Ultra Settings in recent AAA Games is a gamers first world problem.
So spending 800 bucks for 40 % more fps (hence make a 50 fps @1440p a 70 fps game @1440p) seems a "waste" for me when Volta may only be 7-9 months away.

On the other hand, if you have the money spare / if it's disposable, why not, gaming is a hobby and rational arguments may fail, it is about fun, mate.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Mr.PayDay posted:

I am on the same fence but will keep waiting for Volta because "only" 50 fps instead of 60+ fps on Ultra Settings in recent AAA Games is a gamers first world problem.
So spending 800 bucks for 40 % more fps (hence make a 50 fps @1440p a 70 fps game @1440p) seems a "waste" for me when Volta may only be 7-9 months away.

On the other hand, if you have the money spare / if it's disposable, why not, gaming is a hobby and rational arguments may fail, it is about fun, mate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5ZsaavKNR8

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

I prefer the several Reshade options and filters by the way, they deliver more eyecandy than the ingame settings and kill that brightness-light-mist that feels like a nebulous overlay (levels.fx filter)

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Aug 19, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mr.PayDay posted:

I prefer the several Reshade options and filters by the way, they deliver more eyecandy than the ingame settings and kill that brightness-light-mist that feels like a nebulous overlay (levels.fx filter)

ReShade does wonders for a lot of games and I'd rather use that than crank all the settings to ultra. Helps that I have a 1080p144 monitor and not a 1440p144 monitor.

FFXIV has this horrendous grey slightly desaturating colour grade over everything and using ReShade to remove that just makes the game so much more lively.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

ReShade does wonders for a lot of games and I'd rather use that than crank all the settings to ultra. Helps that I have a 1080p144 monitor and not a 1440p144 monitor.

FFXIV has this horrendous grey slightly desaturating colour grade over everything and using ReShade to remove that just makes the game so much more lively.

Once you play with lumasharpen , clarify or/ and levels.fx filters the games look better. I played The Division and Witcher 3 yesterday and holy poo poo, just toggling reshade vs. original settings makes the games indeed more "true" colored, "lively " and "realistic" graphics wise

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
isnt that just cranking saturation up to the moon though?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

A considerably more thoughtful video than I initially thought it would be.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Paul MaudDib posted:

surely a Chief Gaming Scientist knows what they're taking about?

Has Robert ever said anything correct? He's gone on record saying the the way to get Freesync working is to switch on vsync.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Should I consider finally building a new system for Volta?

I'm on a 3770k/SSD/16 gigs of ram build from 2012. I started with a 680 and then every 2 years I'd flip the old card for half on ebay and grab the new x80. Currently on a 1080, which if it's being bottlenecked by the other components, it's so slight I really don't notice.

I have a VR HMD, and nothing I own is at 4k. I've had a 2560x1600/60 monitor as long as I've had the rig and I don't see upgrading that either anytime soon.

With this next gpu buy, that'll be a brand new gpu with 6 year old hardware..it feels..wrong? How likely is it that volta will be held back by older cpus (sandy bridge, ivy, etc)?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Since no one outside of nVidia and close partners has played any games on it yet, that's a bit hard to say. It also depends on what kinds of games you play.

Keep an eye on your CPU usage while playing your normal games. If it's close to maxing out however many cores that game can make use of, upgrading your GPU might push it over the edge.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

zer0spunk posted:

With this next gpu buy, that'll be a brand new gpu with 6 year old hardware..it feels..wrong? How likely is it that volta will be held back by older cpus (sandy bridge, ivy, etc)?

One thing that needs stating, Nvidia already has Volta ready. They been using it in data centers for months now, in fact Volta has been out since May.

Nvidia isn't looking to release Volta to consumers yet, you may not see it for another 9-12 months. Not even the Titan Xp is held back by quad cores.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 19, 2017

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
Anybody know if I'd be able to get a RMA for a BSOD on my GPU?

Or even what recourse I could have short of buying another GPU? How about how long might it take for EVGA to ship a new one out assuming they accept it?

Kinda boned to be sitting here having to pay another $400 to deal with this when it only happens every few months. On the flip side, I'd like to get it replaced and hope for an upgrade in the process.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zer0spunk posted:

I'm on a 3770k/SSD/16 gigs of ram build from 2012. I started with a 680 and then every 2 years I'd flip the old card for half on ebay and grab the new x80. Currently on a 1080, which if it's being bottlenecked by the other components, it's so slight I really don't notice.

I have a VR HMD, and nothing I own is at 4k. I've had a 2560x1600/60 monitor as long as I've had the rig and I don't see upgrading that either anytime soon.

dont buy a new system until you see how intel responds to ryzen. Your current system seems fine and I dont see any point in replacing it as long as it runs modern games which it should be doing great. New tech like optane isnt that amazing.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

If it were me, I'd skip Volta and upgrade the mobo/cpu/ram and maybe an m.2 ssd. 1080 should drive that monitor until the "1280" rolls around.

e: that is, next year after the new Intel stuff drops, not right now

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ILikeVoltron posted:

Anybody know if I'd be able to get a RMA for a BSOD on my GPU?

Or even what recourse I could have short of buying another GPU? How about how long might it take for EVGA to ship a new one out assuming they accept it?

Kinda boned to be sitting here having to pay another $400 to deal with this when it only happens every few months. On the flip side, I'd like to get it replaced and hope for an upgrade in the process.

Assuming it's within warranty you should be fine, EVGA is known to have some of the best customer service in the industry. Though, I have to ask, have you checked for other causes? Like using DDU in safe mode to clean out drivers? Switching PCI-e slots? Testing your RAM?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
If it happens every few months its probably not defective. I would probably look at other parts of your system first.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Measly Twerp posted:

Linus, Luke, JayzTwoCents and Dimitri have a discussion about the AMD price fiasco and bullshit embargo dates. They discuss the possibility of creating a union or alliance of tech tubers to coordinate video releases when the alliance is ready, and not when the embargo lifts.

That would be real interesting.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

OhFunny posted:

That would be real interesting.

Measly Twerp posted:

How hard would it be for someone else to take their place and play ball, though? There's a relatively low barrier to entry to making a YouTube channel so long as you can edit video and have some sort of camera.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Wirth1000 posted:

NCIX has a Vega promo where you get Wolfenstein 2 and Prey for free.

But lmao at the prices.... http://www.ncix.com/subpromo/1970.htm

$789 to $899 CAD

Canadian prices are always :barf:

e: Jay Zed looks like the old man of the group who is tired of this poo poo.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Wistful of Dollars posted:

He's sitting next to a 30-something man who dresses like a 13 year old. I think he's starting to realize exactly what the business he's in *is*;.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

The wan show seems bad

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
not as bad as AMD's limited pricing scheme

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Let's see how long it takes before (if?) AMD brings in driver fixes and price cuts.

I really, really wanted to buy a Vega card but :suicide:

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010
Count me in as one of the people with an mg279q waiting for Vega so I can do a full Ryzen system build.

I'm just going to keep waiting to see if Vega FineWines or if the brands like Sapphire can achieve a better card. It's not like I NEED to upgrade as my rx480 does a good enough job to get me into the midrange of freesync on BF1, but there are times when it chugs uncomfortably. That could easily be my 4670 cpu or just BF1 being poorly optimised though.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

hitze posted:

The wan show seems bad

There's no way I'd ever listen to the whole thing but they do conveniently provide a bunch of timestamps for the various topics so I listen to like 5 mins of it.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Dude Sweet posted:

Count me in as one of the people with an mg279q waiting for Vega so I can do a full Ryzen system build.

I'm just going to keep waiting to see if Vega FineWines or if the brands like Sapphire can achieve a better card. It's not like I NEED to upgrade as my rx480 does a good enough job to get me into the midrange of freesync on BF1, but there are times when it chugs uncomfortably. That could easily be my 4670 cpu or just BF1 being poorly optimised though.

Its not your 4670 or BF1 being poorly optimized so look forward to that

eames
May 9, 2009

what a trainwreck :allears:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Canadian prices are always :barf:

He's 5 years older than Linus... 36 vs 31.

Dude has some stress issues.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

He's 5 years older than Linus... 36 vs 31.

Dude has some stress issues.

Jesus, really? You can tell Jay worries a lot but that is not a 36 year old's face. Or hair. Poor guy.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Arivia posted:

Jesus, really? You can tell Jay worries a lot but that is not a 36 year old's face. Or hair. Poor guy.

Jay was also 500 pounds at one point, I kind of doubt Linus has ever broken 150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

Jay was also 500 pounds at one point, I kind of doubt Linus has ever broken 150.

https://twitter.com/jayztwocents/status/692097600632147969?lang=en

Holy poo poo, what a recovery :eyepop: