Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2017/08/19/live-updates-free-speech-rally-counter-protests-boston-common

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Sir Tonk posted:

im the zero retweets

im the alliterative c name

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
"53-year old Indian American, who claims to have invented email when he was 14 and later was briefly married to fran drescher, is kicking off his senate campaign (funded by the $750,000 settlement he was awarded in the hulk hogan vs gawker civil suit) by speaking at a neo-nazi rally in boston" is the sort of thing that confirms my belief that we're living in a simulation which is rapidly breaking down

awyeahz has issued a correction as of 14:48 on Aug 19, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

that goddamn guy.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

Any bits I could read about this?

Sure. Here is a Gawker article about it.

Gawker posted:

The Oath Keepers in Ferguson just lost their highest-profile member. Sam Andrews, who led armed members of the militia-style group into protests following Michael Brown’s death and its one-year anniversary, quit in characteristically loud fashion amid a verbal war with the group’s founder this week, citing what he called a “racist double standard” within the Oath Keepers.

Andrews’ spat with the Oath Keepers follows his announcement that he plans to hold a march in conjunction with black protesters in Ferguson during which marchers would legally carry guns in a symbolic showing of force against the police. Like most Oath Keepers, Andrews is a fierce believer in the Second Amendment. Where he may diverge from the orthodoxy of the group—which is mainly composed of ex-members of the military and law enforcement agencies—is his belief that residents of Ferguson and similar communities should arm themselves to combat oppressive police forces.

Reason reports that Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes asked Andrews to lay off the arm-the-protesters rhetoric, and that Andrews flatly refused. “All we were doing is saying, ‘Look, Sam, don’t make it sound like we’re gonna arm violent people who were rioters,’” Rhodes said. “We’re gonna arm the good people of Ferguson, to stand up for their rights against the police and to control the hoods.’”

Andrews noted Rhodes’ apparent hypocrisy, pointing to the standoff at Cliven Bundy’s ranch, where Oath Keepers were more than happy to assist people who stood against the government and happened to be white. “The law enforcement side of [Rhodes’] board and membership are racist, and he does not want to lose their money,” Andrews said. Rhodes shot back, calling Andrews a “lying sociopath” with a “personal vendetta.”

It is not surprising that Andrews would leave the formal Oath Keepers organization, and the split will likely mean little to him in practical terms beyond the loss of a nationally-recognized group with which to affiliate his name. I spoke with Andrews and other Ferguson-area Oath Keepers extensively following the one-year anniversary protests of Brown’s death earlier this month, and learned that despite his high public profile, Andrews was already acting on the fringe of the group. Even before quitting, he had never attended a meeting of the local Oath Keepers chapter, and when he brought his men and rifles into Ferguson, he was acting independently, without the knowledge or authorization of Oath Keepers leadership.

Edit: Beaten.

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 14:52 on Aug 19, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Prester Jane posted:

Edit: Beaten.

pssht. multiple sources are always good for at least making an attempt at avoiding bias so its appreciated.

not that those two are super dissimilar but :shrug:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

rudatron posted:

Nazis are not revolutionaries.

The point is that the whole 'defensive' poo poo is nothing but a smokescreen, a convenient lie that they may or may not buy into themselves. They're not 'defensive' in any meaningful sense of the term, you're just buying into their marketing.

i'd argue the nazis are totally revolutionariess but that's because i've mostly been arguing with 'what's so bad about fascism anyway' conservatives

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

StashAugustine posted:

i'd argue the nazis are totally revolutionariess but that's because i've mostly been arguing with 'what's so bad about fascism anyway' conservatives

Is it much of an argument when you can just point to all the death?

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
you could make an argument nazis are revolutionary in that they want to change society from being based on the profit motive to being based on war loot and slavery. doesn't mean it's a good revolution. it's a reactionary revolution. that's bad.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Zeroisanumber posted:

Is it much of an argument when you can just point to all the death?

but her gulags

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Ague Proof posted:

im the alliterative c name

nice

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

StashAugustine posted:

Historically though they've occasionally called themselves revolutionaries (and even then only very infrequently after 1933), the Nazis are more accurately viewed as counter-revolutionaries, reacting against what they see as the diseased legacies of the 1918 armitice, German Revolution, and Weimar state that emerged from it. Similarly, their modern day descendants are virtually always reacting against some perceived revolutionary change, which they want to roll back, or from which they want to reclaim their "lost" country.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Historically though they've occasionally called themselves revolutionaries (and even then only very infrequently after 1933), the Nazis are more accurately viewed as counter-revolutionaries, reacting against what they see as the diseased legacies of the 1918 armitice, German Revolution, and Weimar state that emerged from it. Similarly, their modern day descendants are virtually always reacting against some perceived revolutionary change, which they want to roll back, or from which they want to reclaim their "lost" country.

or in layman's terms, when white people feel their grip on power is threatened, and they feel threatened a lot

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Oh, and also it gets harder to call them genuine revolutionaries when they always purge the revolutionary wing of their organization either before coming to power or just afterward.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
https://twitter.com/RIPMarkusJ/status/898806084013498369

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

did the watermark tip you off

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It doesn't really matter what they call themselves, or how they see themselves as acting. The basis of revolution is a 'bottom up' overthrowing of a corrupt political system, or a political system infiltrated by a corrupt tendency, that no longer serves the interest of the people, nor is able to intimidate them any longer.

Reaction is the reassertion of that exact corrupt tendency, by the people who benefit the most from it, and who take and maintain power through pure intimidation. In the case of the Nazis, in was the imposition of extreme anti-semitism on a weakened liberal democracy. But they didn't come from nowhere, and they certainly didn't come from 'the bottom'. Their take over is better viewed as something like a coup d'etat.

They're not 'defensive', and they're not 'revolutionaries'.

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
idk i'm quite sympathetic to don hammerquist and jai sakai's interpreation of nazis and fascists being prepared to institute a different sort of economic system compared to capitalism, where the abstraction of violence behind the law is replaced by... pure violence

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Boston stream of the anti racist rally: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c?RebelutionaryZ?live

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

video not working

that witless x guy is streaming again. id reccommend muting the commentary tho lol

https://twitter.com/witlessX/status/898885716779728896

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

He must have turned off linking.

Youtube link: https : //www.youtube.com/c/RebelutionaryZ/live

FB link: https : //www.facebook.com/pg/RebZtv/videos

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/jacksmithiv/status/898924266938404865

https://twitter.com/jacksmithiv/status/898925238033027073

https://twitter.com/jacksmithiv/status/898927399068413952

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
ok i think we can wrap this one up lol

https://twitter.com/universalhub/status/898930624404303877/photo/1

as long as the police dont start poo poo

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Is that married to Fran Drescher thing fake because I always thought she had really good politics.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Al! posted:

ok i think we can wrap this one up lol

https://twitter.com/universalhub/status/898930624404303877/photo/1

as long as the police dont start poo poo
:dong: guess we're not getting viral videos of fash teary eyed panic attacks and tearing off their 'uniform' at the first sign of conflict

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Normies cheering for antifa while a bunch of Pepe alt lite chuds cower behind police.

Cville was such a massive disaster for the right wing. the smart ones know this so they won't show their faces for the rest of the summer.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Buzzfeed has a stream, but signal is bad everywhere in Boston at the march/protests.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/BuzzFeedNews/videos/?ref=page_internal

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

https://twitter.com/spacedeath2/status/898945858275758081

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

And Univision, a Spanish-language network, has an aerial view of the anti-racist march.

https://twitter.com/reynaviajero31/status/898947182568423425

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

He is about to go to prison for a few years (facing multiple felonies related to protesting and he already has already served three prison sentences) and in prison he will be a huge loving target with no friends. (Also automatically ineligible for parole.) But hey he got to bask in the adulation of a bunch of virgin basement dwellers for a few months, so I'm sure it was all worthwhile.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

im a rebelutionary

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Montasque posted:

Normies cheering for antifa while a bunch of Pepe alt lite chuds cower behind police.

Cville was such a massive disaster for the right wing. the smart ones know this so they won't show their faces for the rest of the summer.

lol you said normies

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
i feel like 'charlottesville' is basically entering ~the discourse~ the way 9/11 means what it means

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thatim posted:

lol you said normies

the dorks are coming from inside the forums.

*turns on monitor*

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

freckle posted:

the dorks are coming from inside the forums.

*turns on monitor*

*turns off monitor*

nice

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
lol the nazi's hosed off and left the boston commons

https://twitter.com/Nikfraz14/status/898950497582710784

how much do you bet they'll say they've been oppressed into silence by the REAL fascists?!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Well like I said I'm mostly talking in the context of talking to Catholics somewhere on the trad spectrum. What I mean is that fascists are quite eager to destroy any elements of 'conservative' society that inhibit their rise. The Nazis talked up Christianity (at least enough of them to get people to buy it) but they were quite happy to murder priests if they made fusses about "maybe don't kill Jews?"

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

nazis will co-opt institutions that enable their ability to commit violence, and destroy those which do not. you cant call nazis revolutionary anymore than you could a rabid dog hth

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

More likely I'm just using the word wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

Well like I said I'm mostly talking in the context of talking to Catholics somewhere on the trad spectrum. What I mean is that fascists are quite eager to destroy any elements of 'conservative' society that inhibit their rise. The Nazis talked up Christianity (at least enough of them to get people to buy it) but they were quite happy to murder priests if they made fusses about "maybe don't kill Jews?"

Very few priests made enough of a fuss in that direction to even get tossed in KZ let alone executed, and those that made a fuss about other things like Aktion-T4 were accommodated and appeased rather than murdered. And that's even before we get into the brownshirted ones who enthusiastically embraced the movement.