Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am not a Sonic "fanboy" and I think Sonic controls fine for the game he is in. This isn't Super Meat Boy or some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Norns posted:

What do you hope to gain by proving him wrong

An admission that Sonic isn’t the perfect 10/10 better-platformer-than-Mario he claims it to be. Like, the games are good, but they’re not better platformers than goddamn Mario.

Anyway with my purchase of Jackbox Party Pack 2 this morning I now own 24 games for my dead console that has no games, and I only regret buying one (Tumbleseed).

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Let the loving guy have his own opinion?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
He also made it personal by saying I don’t like Sonic because I’m bad at video games.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sonic controls well when moving quickly. Mario controls well moving slower. Both of you can be right?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Looks like 9th grade is shaping up to be a tough one, huh?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Well it says Mario is the best on my Trapper Keeper so gently caress off

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Looks like 9th grade is shaping up to be a tough one, huh?

:laffo: “Stupid discussions about video games only happen between immature high schoolers,” he said, completely blind to the rest of the internet and even the very forums he posts in

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

loving come on guy

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

lelandjs posted:

:laffo: “Stupid discussions about video games only happen between immature high schoolers,” he said, completely blind to the rest of the internet and even the very forums he posts in

The Internet makes you stupid.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

lelandjs posted:

you're owning yourself powerfully today

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
:rolleyes:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Now you can tell the schoolyard about how wrong people are on the internet!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

As the great philosopher once said, Mario rules and Sonic drools.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wish the Sonic maneuvers that require him to be at full stop had just a bit more leeway as to what constitutes a full stop. And that I didn't have to take my finger off left or right to turn into a ball.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Genesis Sonic games aren’t bad. They just aren’t the best platformers. This wouldn’t even be a discussion in 2017 if a bunch of Sonic fanboys hadn’t masturbated so furiously onto a keyboard that the electronics shorted out and accidentally coded a new Genesis-style Sonic game.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Corncobbing in the Switch thread
Corn in the Switch thread
Corn in the Switch
Growing corn on the Switch

... Stardew???

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

lelandjs posted:

The Genesis Sonic games aren’t bad. They just aren’t the best platformers. This wouldn’t even be a discussion in 2017 if a bunch of Sonic fanboys hadn’t masturbated so furiously onto a keyboard that the electronics shorted out and accidentally coded a new Genesis-style Sonic game.

Dawg I like Mario way more than sonic but this is just embarrassing

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Mario is good.
Sonic was good, then was bad, and now is good again.
Namaste.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

It sounds to me like you don't like Sonic because you're bad at videogames

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
You don't understand! He made it personal by vaguely implying that I'm bad at video games! I must defeat him!!

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Sonic sucks to play until you memorized everything and know how to take the paths you want for max speed/score then it's fun but the moment you have to stop holy hell building momentum is a complete chore.

No idea if this applies to the new one but that's my memory of the originals

Edit: The faux 2D levels in the newer games tend to least look way more fun cause the level design is way better generally far as giving you a chance to see how to take the high path and do it on the fly instead of janky poo poo like putting in a 1 block higher jump on a random straight path that if you're going at full speed you're gonna have a bitch of a time reacting fast enough before you just go bonk stop.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 19, 2017

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

The best "pwn" back in the day was to post a side by side comparison of a SMW level layout and a Sonic 2 level layout.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

Kiranamos posted:

The best "pwn" back in the day was to post a side by side comparison of a SMW level layout and a Sonic 2 level layout.

Which day was this back in? I was playing sonic in the early 90's and the only thing you could post was physical paper! The only place you could discuss issues of this scale was the literal playground.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What happens when Sonic and Mario fight in Smash

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I love classic Sonic and Mania but Mario is better. It's kinda amazing how consistently good mainline Mario games are with how loving old the series is. Older than me and still amazing.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

nerd_of_prey posted:

Which day was this back in? I was playing sonic in the early 90's and the only thing you could post was physical paper! The only place you could discuss issues of this scale was the literal playground.

I'll link you to my Geocities page

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What happens when Sonic and Mario fight in Smash

Apparently they're both right next to each other "Tier wise" for however much stock you put into that.

It's weird they made Mario so good this time around. I know I'm not the only one who would verbally pick Mario over Sonic on the playground growing up but then never actually play as him in spin-off games at home if I could help it.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Sorry for the dumb question but is one of these cables better than the other?

AmazonBasics USB Type-C to USB Type-C 2.0 Cable - 3 Feet (0.9 Meters) - White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GGKZ0V6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_hhhMzbH765EVY

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24285

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lelandjs posted:

An admission that Sonic isn’t the perfect 10/10 better-platformer-than-Mario he claims it to be. Like, the games are good, but they’re not better platformers than goddamn Mario.

lelandjs posted:

Freaking fanboys.

:thunk:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

GoldfishStew posted:

Sorry for the dumb question but is one of these cables better than the other?

AmazonBasics USB Type-C to USB Type-C 2.0 Cable - 3 Feet (0.9 Meters) - White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GGKZ0V6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_hhhMzbH765EVY

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24285

First and foremost, I don't know if the Monoprice has been tested as compliant.

That said, if you are just looking for phone/switch use, there will be no difference. The amazon one is limited to 3A while the Monoprice one is limited to 5A.

So, if you are only looking to charge a phone/switch, get the Amazon one. You only need higher than 3A if you are charging a USB-C notebook or other high powered device at 60watt and 100watt.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Apparently they're both right next to each other "Tier wise" for however much stock you put into that.

It's weird they made Mario so good this time around. I know I'm not the only one who would verbally pick Mario over Sonic on the playground growing up but then never actually play as him in spin-off games at home if I could help it.

I'm the maniac that plays Mario in game that I have the opportunity to do so

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

RCarr posted:

Are the Jackbox games fun for 2 people or do you need a bunch of people to enjoy it?

The only one that's any good 2-player is Jackbox 1's You Don't Know Jack 2015. Not sure if it's $25-by-itself good, but watch a let's play of any-old-round of it and you'll be able to tell if it's for you pretty quickly.

It actually is worth it for me as a now-portable entertainment option for when I visit various relatives.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

bull3964 posted:

First and foremost, I don't know if the Monoprice has been tested as compliant.

That said, if you are just looking for phone/switch use, there will be no difference. The amazon one is limited to 3A while the Monoprice one is limited to 5A.

So, if you are only looking to charge a phone/switch, get the Amazon one. You only need higher than 3A if you are charging a USB-C notebook or other high powered device at 60watt and 100watt.

The monoprice one says it's USB-if certified. Doesn't that mean it's compliant?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

GoldfishStew posted:

The monoprice one says it's USB-if certified. Doesn't that mean it's compliant?

Short answer, yes with an if; long answer, no, with a but.

It increases the probability dramatically that it is compliant, but there have been a non-zero number of USB-IF certified cables that have been found non-compliant in one way or another. Manufacturers (not Monoprice, but the factories behind various brands) have been known to send a golden sample to be certified and then cheap out on the actual product.

Amazon's cables are safer because Amazon themselves are sending in samples for testing and other 3rd parties have verified that they are good.

They are both probably fine. But unless you need 5A capability, I would go with the cheaper of the two which happens to be the Amazon cable that's also 3rd party verified.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Thank you!

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Woa I just opened this thread and got teleported to the early 90s again. I can't believe we are having this argument again*

*I never really had this argument because everyone I grew up around knew that mario was better than sonic but sonic was also good. I guess my peers were just very level headed.

Sonic mania is also good and mario will still be better, why is there confusion here?

Now someone find me a third party dock/adapter that can get to me in 9 days that won't blow up my switch god dammit.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Stardew please.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The correct comparisons would be between Sonic Forces/Super Mario Odyssey, and Sonic Mania/Super Mario World on the Switch.

Wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'm about to try Mario Odyssey.:3:

• Locked thread