Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
https://twitter.com/thetomska/status/898117891513606148

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Maybe Dany doesn't wanna bang Jorah bc he sold slaves, betrayed her a couple times and/or is super weirdly clingy on top of being an old dude with the pox

Jorah is not v fuckable imo, esp when you compare him to her first husband who she loved v much, that barbarian rapist who wanted his child to gently caress the world

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

Maybe Dany doesn't wanna bang Jorah bc he sold slaves, betrayed her a couple times and/or is super weirdly clingy on top of being an old dude with the pox

Jorah is not v fuckable imo, esp when you compare him to her first husband who she loved v much, that barbarian rapist who wanted his child to gently caress the world

He's cursed to stay in friendzone land

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Are you all men because trust me, Jorah/Iain Glen has a fog of testosterone surrounding him, where as Jon Snuh/Kit Harington looks like he made you a mix tape and will cry if you don't like it. Dany going for Jon over Jorah is one of the least believable things on the show.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

learnincurve posted:

Are you all men because trust me, Jorah/Iain Glen has a fog of testosterone surrounding him, where as Jon Snuh/Kit Harington looks like he made you a mix tape and will cry if you don't like it. Dany going for Jon over Jorah is one of the least believable things on the show.

The actor himself is very attractive and charismatic.

The character is a whiny little bitch who worships her and can't treat her like an equal, and she ain't into that. Also all of these reasons:

Soul Glo posted:

Even though his Greyscale is cured now, I don't think anyone who knew he ever had it would be willing to gently caress him ever again. It's like the ultimate Westerosi STD.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Zotix posted:

What is the leading theory on why Melisandre went to Volantis?

that other red priestess from season 5 is there, probably home base, needs to restock on that old person magic.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

esperterra posted:

As someone with a vagina, the only gross view of gender in this show (to me) is the writers thinking that all you need for a strong female character is for her to be good at fighting and sass.

That doesn't really apply to Cersei, or Cat Stark.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jorah played the best Hamlet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LO4EQcMR2Q

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Iain Glen is fantastic. He has a real shallow but fun show where he plays a hard drinking PI. He also the best part of that newest Resident Evil movie, where he uses super predictive senses to detect that he had a 98% chance to have a drink of scotch after he killed Alice or whatever.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ps was that grrm livejournal comment where he lamented women loving the hound and nobody loving sam real? i got a good chuckle about it when i first saw it posted ages ago it was the gooniest thing.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

WampaLord posted:

The actor himself is very attractive and charismatic.

The character is a whiny little bitch who worships her and can't treat her like an equal, and she ain't into that. Also all of these reasons:

Even though his Greyscale is cured now, I don't think anyone who knew he ever had it would be willing to gently caress him ever again. It's like the ultimate Westerosi STD.

But the character, looks, walks and talks like Iain Glenn. All those qualities you listed would be bad if he looked like Sam/a goon/how he is described in the books. It matters not what the handsome sexyman does or says, a sexyman that handsome who is willing to lay down his life for you and be your sex slave is getting laid. Women watching the show didn't look at Tywin Lannister and "oh no he's really evil and old, I don't think I will have any naughty thoughts today thank you" They looked at him and thought a collective "daddy"

In conclusion this why the Jorah casting or the TV show writing was the bad sort of wrong.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

learnincurve posted:

It matters not what the handsome sexyman does or says, a sexyman that handsome who is willing to lay down his life for you and be your sex slave is getting laid. Women watching the show didn't look at Tywin Lannister and "oh no he's really evil and old, I don't think I will have any naughty thoughts today thank you" They looked at him and thought a collective "daddy"

This is an extreme generalization as to how women think, maybe you don't want to take that particular angle.

You're basically saying that women never reject handsome men, no matter their personality.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Edit: I just noticed your edit in the quote of my post which took it right out of context. That was rather a dick move my friend.

It's an extreme simplification rather than a generalisation because I don't really want to do a huge essay on the way Jorah has been played by Glenn VS what was written in the books being at odds. Some women may prefer a gentleman like Sam, women who were in love with a warlord and had lots of sex with a dangerous cut throat would not.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 19, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

most people are gonna gently caress someone attractive given the chance.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

learnincurve posted:

It's an extreme simplification rather than a generalisation because I don't really want to do a huge essay on the way Jorah has been played by Glenn VS what was written in the books being at odds. Some women may prefer a gentleman like Sam, women who were in love with a warlord and had lots of sex with a dangerous cut throat would not.

My point being, Jorah is not a dangerous cutthroat. He's a beta bitch, to borrow a terrible phrase. He is a goon at heart, that's why we call him Ser Friendzone. Dany doesn't care that's he's handsome, she ain't exactly got a lack of handsome dudes to pick from, she wants someone who respects her, not worships her. He is the prototypical Nice Guy.

If you had Ryan Gosling and Ryan Reynolds to pick from, but Gosling was acting like a total goonlord, wouldn't you want to pick Reynolds instead?

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 19, 2017

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Are we really having an internet debate about why a girl would want a bad boy or brooding mysterious type over a doting nice guy?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm not sure we will agree on this one, if they wanted him to be seen as beta then they should have hired a different actor. It's only goons and the neckbeards of Reddit that see him as Sir Friendzone.
Everyone else sees the TV character as a handsome sexyman who started out trying to regain his honour but found himself in love with a girl he knew that would never love him back. Honour and love compelled him to fight for her, but along the way he has also learned the true consequences of his actions when he traded slaves and it has made him a better man. I'm sure my nan has that mills and boon novel somewhere, only thing lacking is that he isn't a pirate.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

JaySB posted:

Are we really having an internet debate about why a girl would want a bad boy or brooding mysterious type over a doting nice guy?

In the books at least the discussion is whether Dany would go for Victarion, Euron or Jon.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I would personally have sex with Ian Glenn the actor but not Jorah the character. That's how I feel about this incredibly important topic.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

learnincurve posted:

I'm not sure we will agree on this one, if they wanted him to be seen as beta then they should have hired a different actor. It's only goons and the neckbeards of Reddit that see him as Sir Friendzone.
Everyone else sees the TV character as a handsome sexyman who started out trying to regain his honour but found himself in love with a girl he knew that would never love him back. Honour and love compelled him to fight for her, but along the way he has also learned the true consequences of his actions when he traded slaves and it has made him a better man. I'm sure my nan has that mills and boon novel somewhere, only thing lacking is that he isn't a pirate.

"Everyone else"

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

JaySB posted:

yeah dany needs the bad pussay

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

learnincurve posted:

but found himself in love with a girl he knew that would never love him back

this is why he's king of the friend zone.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I also want to gently caress Iain Glen irl and am upset by people making jokes about his character

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm team Jamie :colbert:

I just think it's terrible casting if you want people to think of him as some sort of beta is all. Kind of odd/utterly hilarious seeing neckbeards jump on this like "look incredibly attractive men can be friend zoned too!!" like it somehow means life is slightly more fair for them.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
You sound incredibly insecure by constantly calling people goons / neck beards

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You know the kind of fellow I mean, we all went to school with that kid who now spends his days not bathing and playing wow while wondering why he can't get a girlfriend because he's such a nice guy.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

learnincurve posted:

You know the kind of fellow I mean, we all went to school with that kid who now spends his days not bathing and playing wow while wondering why he can't get a girlfriend because he's such a nice guy.

Right, and that's exactly what Jorah's character is, but because he's played by a hot actor you've convinced yourself he's somehow the opposite.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It requires a significant suspension of belief, it's like having Quasimodo played by Brad Pitt - people who have only seen the TV shows are going to be very confused. Cast a ugly actor, or as I said, his plot line ends up right out of a mills and boon romance novel where "loving her and not expecting her to love him back" is tragic yet incredibly romantic.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Tyrion is supposed to be a hideous monster but they cast probably the sexiest small person(or whatever the correct term is) to play him. It's TV, they're not gonna make the good guys ugly.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dany's just an idiot whore who deserves to have her dragon die because she won't date the man that's been there the whole time and is a nice guy and cares about her and only dates bad boy dicks that treat her bad. gently caress her, I thought she was smarter than this. Bitch. Idiot bitch.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
dany is a horrible ruler whose sole worth derives from her royal bloodline that shouldve been extinguished + some wedding gifts she was handed and did nothing to deserve

she's caused immense pain and death to continents solely for her own ego

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bloom posted:

Tyrion is supposed to be a hideous monster but they cast probably the sexiest small person(or whatever the correct term is) to play him. It's TV, they're not gonna make the good guys ugly.

not even bad guys the much better book ramsay is a giant ugly monster and they hired a small handsome guy for some reason.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

people will read ugly but they will not watch ugly

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

dany is a horrible ruler whose sole worth derives from her royal bloodline that shouldve been extinguished + some wedding gifts she was handed and did nothing to deserve

she's caused immense pain and death to continents solely for her own ego

She's basically the smug "It's my destiny" Hillary equivalent in Game of Thrones.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Dany's just an idiot whore who deserves to have her dragon die because she won't date the man that's been there the whole time and is a nice guy and cares about her and only dates bad boy dicks that treat her bad. gently caress her, I thought she was smarter than this. Bitch. Idiot bitch.

Wild Cards 2008: Duh, Dany is a bad character with a bad storyline and a loving idiot too boot lmao
Wild Card 2017: Please do not criticize this shows terrible romances

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

learnincurve posted:

You know the kind of fellow I mean, we all went to school with that kid are who now spends his days not bathing and playing wow while wondering why he can't get a girlfriend because he's such a nice guy.

FTFY

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I agree that Dany and Jorah is starting to feel like meme writing at this point. The writers saw people on the internet call him Ser Friendzone and they're not going to break away from that. They're both attractive people. They both like each other. What's the problem? Get it on.

I would be saying if the same thing if it was Jorah rejecting Dany. Why? Looks are not the problem. Personality is not the problem. You both care for each other. I would be wondering "What's the matter with you, Jorah?"

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

learnincurve posted:

people who have only seen the TV shows are going to be very confused.

It doesn't seem that hard for most people

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

NutritiousSnack posted:

Wild Cards 2008: Duh, Dany is a bad character with a bad storyline and a loving idiot too boot lmao
Wild Card 2017: Please do not criticize this shows terrible romances

Never said she wasn't a bad character with a bad storyline and wasn't an idiot. I'm just saying it's stupid to apply MRA notions to loving titty dragon TV show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Total coincidence but I...I...just found this shirt is a legitimate thing that people have actually bought and my brain can't quite believe it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arrival-Men-Summer-Fashion-Style-T-Shirts-Game-of-Thrones-Nights-Watch-Oath-T-shirts/32639533445.html

• Locked thread