Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Poldarn posted:

I never thought I'd enjoy a low-fantasy economic thriller but it's real good.
I don't have the link handy (but I bet GB does) but there was that one review that described it as "Social Justice Middle-Earth" which still makes me giggle every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

I just finished Philip Jose Farmer's Riverworld series.
It was a book series about famous people reincarnated in the future in perfect un-aging bodies alongside a giant world spanning river.
The series was extremely bad overall, with a literal author self-insert in the finest tradition of Stephen King & Robert Heinlein.

One of the worse things in the Riverworld books was the author rehabilitating Hermann Goring as a super-impressionable guy who wasn't evil, he just
took on the character & ideas of anyone he hung around with for longer than 3 days. wtf. WTF?

I give the series bonus awful points for the giant reveal about the Riverworld reincarnation mechanic being something close to but just different enough to not be sued
by the church of scientology for theft.

Philip Jose Farmer was a lovely pulp writer who was grandfathered into the science fiction new wave because his ideas were, "like, really out there, maaaan." He was also apparently a really nice man, so I won't disparage him too much, but even Alfred Bester said he was only ever an idea guy whose execution wasn't great. I've tried to read Farmer more than once, and I can't stomach more than a paragraph of his lovely prose, it's so bad.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

One of the worse things in the Riverworld books was the author rehabilitating Hermann Goring as a super-impressionable guy who wasn't evil, he just
took on the character & ideas of anyone he hung around with for longer than 3 days. wtf. WTF?
that sounds really funny

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

A human heart posted:

that sounds really funny

It's not worth reading the series, trust me & Stuporstar about that.

I was duped into reading Farmer by a really cool 1970s commentary book named "Robots Robots Robots" that was about robots/mechanical simulacra from ancient pre-history myths to modern era stories & devices. It really went into depth regarding all the various simulacra that were created pre-industrial age. My favorites were Edgar Allen Poe's guesstimate essay on how the chess-playing Mechanical Turk worked (totally wrong btw), and Vaucanson's mechanical duck.
Other than the Farmer recommendation, it was a solid book.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

That's more or less true about humans in general tho, in that we're mostly the product of our environments.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Chairchucker posted:

That's more or less true about humans in general tho, in that we're mostly the product of our environments.

If you include the environment in the womb immediately prior to conception, sure. :biotruths:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Number Ten Cocks posted:

If you include the environment in the womb immediately prior to conception, sure. :biotruths:

Sorry I don't really get what you're saying.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Chairchucker posted:

Sorry I don't really get what you're saying.

Your parents may have provided a substandard environment in the womb immediately prior to your conception, filled it with poor quality sperm and egg.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 18, 2017

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I think the main reason I'm confused is that you appear to be applying the 'biotruths' tag to something that is the exact opposite.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Chairchucker posted:

To a degree. I assume you are referring to behaviour and personality rather than anything more essential. A lot of behaviours have strong biological bases (although biology is not the exclusive determinant and environment is important). Some of the more striking examples are the identical twins raised apart studies that show twins who have commonalities like both enjoying coughing in elevators to startle people, holidaying in the same location and smoking the same cigarettes. The influence of biology on political views is also interesting; we think of politics as complicated and so inherently environmental as to be separate from genes, but there is a high apparent hereditability of political views for people raised in households dominated by political views which are the opposite of birth parents'. Again, biology is not going to be the overwhelming determinant of these kinds of things, but it's very important.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

I just finished Philip Jose Farmer's Riverworld series.
I only read a couple of these. To Your Scattered Bodies Go was (once you'd got over the initial premise) not all that interesting. Gods of Riverworld though, I found somewhat intriguing due to the "Reflections on Trusting Trust"-style aspect of how much anyone could trust a computer system that someone else might be in control of. Later I was reminded of it by the end of Vinge's The Peace War, kinda.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Finished House of Suns and enjoyed it quite a bit, Reynolds really knows how to blow my mind with his far-future concepts and sense of awe-inspiring scale.

I read that a few months back and generally agree, great concept that was pulled off well but the ending was abrupt. Fwiw Reynolds had said a sequel isn't out of the question.

One other thing that was a bummer: the Spirit of Air seemed to be heavily implied to be the boy Abigail played with, which would make the whole book sort of a weird maybe-love story set over millions of years, which I thought was super cool, but Reynolds said in an interview that this was not the case and Valmik and the boy are unrelated.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Anybody know if the last couple of Old Man's War sequels are worth a read?

I never thought the series was worth all of the Hugo + Nebula buzz it got, but i found it enjoyable and somewhat regret losing track of it around the time the spinoff from the protagonists' daughter's perspective was published.

my bony fealty posted:

I read that a few months back and generally agree, great concept that was pulled off well but the ending was abrupt. Fwiw Reynolds had said a sequel isn't out of the question.

Don't know about a direct sequel, given the way House of Suns ended, but I'd definitely read a second book set in that same milieu.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

my bony fealty posted:

One other thing that was a bummer: the Spirit of Air seemed to be heavily implied to be the boy Abigail played with, which would make the whole book sort of a weird maybe-love story set over millions of years, which I thought was super cool, but Reynolds said in an interview that this was not the case and Valmik and the boy are unrelated.

this did occur to me to be likely or probable; in terms of parallels the ah... what's the original of the clone copy clan's name? abigail? anyway, her copy clan was partly a way to reach immortality, and that was one of the major drivers behind the spirit of air's history, too, so a connection between them had some resonance within the plot. it also would partly explain why he was willing to give himself up at the end.

anyway seems like everyone else's experience of the book tallied with mine fairly closely. though i will say i found the first half of the book so loving cool, as it evoked this sense of grandeur and awe which felt gothic and romantic (which is a funny juxtaposition, since hard sci-fi systematises and explains, whereas romanticism was a reaction to empiricism and science chasing the magic and wonder out of the world), that the latter half being a comparative let-down is no great criticism and the overall book i would still give a 4.5/5 to.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Neurosis posted:

this did occur to me to be likely or probable; in terms of parallels the ah... what's the original of the clone copy clan's name? abigail? anyway, her copy clan was partly a way to reach immortality, and that was one of the major drivers behind the spirit of air's history, too, so a connection between them had some resonance within the plot. it also would partly explain why he was willing to give himself up at the end.

anyway seems like everyone else's experience of the book tallied with mine fairly closely. though i will say i found the first half of the book so loving cool, as it evoked this sense of grandeur and awe which felt gothic and romantic (which is a funny juxtaposition, since hard sci-fi systematises and explains, whereas romanticism was a reaction to empiricism and science chasing the magic and wonder out of the world), that the latter half being a comparative let-down is no great criticism and the overall book i would still give a 4.5/5 to.

The scene where they start Damien Hirst-ing a dude is where the book started to lose me.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

PupsOfWar posted:

They're not that good and get progressively worse imho.

Neurosis posted:

To a degree. I assume you are referring to behaviour and personality rather than anything more essential. A lot of behaviours have strong biological bases (although biology is not the exclusive determinant and environment is important). Some of the more striking examples are the identical twins raised apart studies that show twins who have commonalities like both enjoying coughing in elevators to startle people, holidaying in the same location and smoking the same cigarettes. The influence of biology on political views is also interesting; we think of politics as complicated and so inherently environmental as to be separate from genes, but there is a high apparent hereditability of political views for people raised in households dominated by political views which are the opposite of birth parents'. Again, biology is not going to be the overwhelming determinant of these kinds of things, but it's very important.
And here I thought he was just saying, "yo momma so drunk"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stuporstar posted:

Philip Jose Farmer was a lovely pulp writer who was grandfathered into the science fiction new wave because his ideas were, "like, really out there, maaaan." He was also apparently a really nice man, so I won't disparage him too much, but even Alfred Bester said he was only ever an idea guy whose execution wasn't great. I've tried to read Farmer more than once, and I can't stomach more than a paragraph of his lovely prose, it's so bad.

On the subject of Farmer and ideas, was the Dungeon series ever completed? I was only ever able to find the first three volumes of a planned six.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

PupsOfWar posted:

I enjoyed them, especially in a "well, that escalated quickly" sort of way. Scalzi isn't at his best writing politics though. He's at his best when he sticks to the snarky smarter-than-you hero who planned for the final confrontation with the bad guy. I really enjoyed Android's Dream.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 18, 2017

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Jedit posted:

On the subject of Farmer and ideas, was the Dungeon series ever completed? I was only ever able to find the first three volumes of a planned six.

I remember reading all six of them.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

PupsOfWar posted:

I never thought the series was worth all of the Hugo + Nebula buzz it got, but i found it enjoyable and somewhat regret losing track of it around the time the spinoff from the protagonists' daughter's perspective was published.

Don't know about a direct sequel, given the way House of Suns ended, but I'd definitely read a second book set in that same milieu.

I like the second one a good bit too, 3rd was awful and dropped the 4th when it didn't seem to be any better.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I haven't read the last two Old Man's War books but I was really let down by Zoe's Tale both for it being mostly a retread of the one before it and because it was about a ~super special teenager~ which is a trope I despise. Scalzi's teen girl voice is not good--it's mostly his normal middle-aged white dude voice with sarcastic comments about how all them olds just don't get it with the rock music, dig. I'll probably eventually read the last two but since they came out so much later I just hadn't kept up. Scalzi in general is firmly in the "okay" category for me--I usually find him readable but he doesn't introduce me to a lot that is new. That might be why some of his fans like him even, as he doesn't push their boundaries very far. Also he wrote a book about old people fighting in a space war around the time a lot of SF fans were right in the demographic that would've been eligible and you know all those old Heinlein-nards would leap at the chance. "Service guarantees Medicare!"

hell i'd probably leap at the chance

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Your parents may have provided a substandard environment in the womb immediately prior to your conception, filled it with poor quality sperm and egg.

i love genetic determinism

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

A human heart posted:

i love genetic determinism

You can't help it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bhodi posted:

I enjoyed them, especially in a "well, that escalated quickly" sort of way. Scalzi isn't at his best writing politics though. He's at his best when he sticks to the snarky smarter-than-you hero who planned for the final confrontation with the bad guy. I really enjoyed Android's Dream.

Android's Dream is far and away Scalzi's best work and I really wish he would write more in that vein instead of endless Old Man's War extensions.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Android's Dream is far and away Scalzi's best work and I really wish he would write more in that vein instead of endless Old Man's War extensions.

Did you read The Dispatcher?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mister Kingdom posted:

Did you read The Dispatcher?

Actually I'd missed that one, I'll give it a shot. Scalzi is almost always worth reading, it's just one of his books has fart-based assassinations and the rest don't. The world needs more comic SF; it doesn't need more MilSF, even if MilSF is what sells.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Farmer had the best covers (we got a few of his books in my bookshop)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

These covers are so weird I must read this author immediately just to have some kind of context. I love it. :psyduck:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
He has good titles also, "The Stone God Awakens" and "To Your Scattered Bodies Go" are both extremely good even if the books are not that great.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

These covers are so weird I must read this author immediately just to have some kind of context. I love it. :psyduck:

That's exactly the same mistake I made.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
I've had surprisingly good fortune picking books based on a cool title. Unfortunately my most recent gamble, which also had great cover art - didn't pay off:

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

Stuporstar posted:

That's exactly the same mistake I made.

Me too. I was 14 at the time, though.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/kbOZodQ.jpg :nws:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Koburn posted:

I've had surprisingly good fortune picking books based on a cool title. Unfortunately my most recent gamble, which also had great cover art - didn't pay off:

I'm upset that you're telling me this is bad, because gently caress it looks good.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

This is the one that got me:

Sometime in my late teens I went through every bookstore in my area looking for SFF books with interesting psychedelic covers and noticed that most of my favorites were by Gene Szafran. I scanned them and stuck them on a website around 2000 because there was hardly anything about the artist up there at the time. It's now gone, but I still have the images, so I tossed them all up in an imgur album: :nws: http://m.imgur.com/a/Y2qb8 :nws:

At some point I actually decided to read everything in my hoard, which led me to discover that I like Robert Silverburg (at least his golden period between 1967 - 1972), and helped me discover hidden gems like The Waters of Centaurus by Rosel George Brown. Unfortunately, it also introduced me to some of Heinlein's most heinous work like Farnham's Freehold, The Sixth Column, and Methuselah's Children. I've since gotten rid of a bunch of them, so all I have left are these crappy scans. Oh well.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 19, 2017

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Rough Lobster posted:

I'm upset that you're telling me this is bad, because gently caress it looks good.

Ya that cover is sooo rad.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Ulio posted:

Ya that cover is sooo rad.

You fools are falling into the BAEN cover trap.

Baens Law: The shinier the cover & the bigger the author name; the more you should avoid the book at all cost.

edit: actual content post.

I got a few James Blish & Frederic Brown paperbacks when I got Farmer riverworld books.
So far James Blish is incredibly readable & lightyears beyond Farmer talentwise.
Even Blish's weirdest book so far (catholic faith crisis caused by evolved dinosaur planet) is 15x better than farmer's attempt at theology in riverworld series.

Brown books should be good too, after all one of Brown's short stories was directly ripped off into a classic Star Trek OST episode.
A really iconic one too the gorn one, the Star Trek OST bought the rights to the short story after producing the episode.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 20, 2017

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Stuporstar posted:

This is the one that got me:

Sometime in my late teens I went through every bookstore in my area looking for SFF books with interesting psychedelic covers and noticed that most of my favorites were by Gene Szafran. I scanned them and stuck them on a website around 2000 because there was hardly anything about the artist up there at the time. It's now gone, but I still have the images, so I tossed them all up in an imgur album: :nws: http://m.imgur.com/a/Y2qb8 :nws:

This is awesome, thanks for putting in the time.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Baens Law: The shinier the cover & the bigger the author name; the more you should avoid the book at all cost.

Clarke Corollary: if the book is not authored solely by Arthur C. Clarke, avoid at all costs.

Really useful rules of thumb when browsing old SF.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Koburn posted:

I liked that one, reminded me a little about The Demolished man or Philip K Dick.
The slow degradation of the protagonist is interesting to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ima let u finish in me posted:

Me too. I was 14 at the time, though.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/kbOZodQ.jpg :nws:

Hey now I'm pretty sure that Pegasus centaurs do not have dicks coming out of their chest