Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

shoulda gotten laphroig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Josh Lyman posted:

shoulda gotten laphroig

While this is true Ardbeg is still good.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Carefully extracting with a corkscrew usually works.

I keep all my old stoppers in a tin for this exact reason.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Ralfy's got you covered for explaining the obvious

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

spankmeister posted:

Carefully extracting with a corkscrew usually works.

The other options are to push the cork through the neck (may be possible depending on how far in the cork was when it broke), saw(or dremel or snap) the neck off, or drill through the cork and drop some sort of hook & line down and pull the cork out. All of those probably should get filtered into a decanter or a spare bottle you have lying around, though. Don't really want to drink glass dust.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Moatman posted:

The other options are to push the cork through the neck (may be possible depending on how far in the cork was when it broke), saw(or dremel or snap) the neck off, or drill through the cork and drop some sort of hook & line down and pull the cork out. All of those probably should get filtered into a decanter or a spare bottle you have lying around, though. Don't really want to drink glass dust.

There's a wine bottle opener my buddy got me I use for this situation. It has hollow needle that goes through the cork, then you jerk it off real fast and it pumps air into the bottle until the cork pops out.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

There's a wine bottle opener my buddy got me I use for this situation. It has hollow needle that goes through the cork, then you jerk it off real fast and it pumps air into the bottle until the cork pops out.

I think that's just a basketball pump

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Seems like the obvious solution is to remove with with a corkscrew like a wine bottle/

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

My wife expressed interest in trying whiskey since she sees how much I enjoy a great old fashioned but the problem is she is a fan of overly sweet and fruity drinks and I have no idea how to not ruin a whiskey but find a drink she would like.

Anybody have a suggestion on what to try? I was thinking of making a simple syrup with macerated cherries and try to make a variation on the old fashioned.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Mint julep? Whiskey with a craft cola and lime? KY Mule?

I've recently been adding to my bourbon collection and here are my one word reviews:

Michters 10yr bourbon : Awesome
Elmer T Lee : Meh
Weller Antique (NCF version) : Stupendous
Old Forrester 1920 : Great
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof : Powerful

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rythe posted:

My wife expressed interest in trying whiskey since she sees how much I enjoy a great old fashioned but the problem is she is a fan of overly sweet and fruity drinks and I have no idea how to not ruin a whiskey but find a drink she would like.

Anybody have a suggestion on what to try? I was thinking of making a simple syrup with macerated cherries and try to make a variation on the old fashioned.

Buy a bottle of Drambuie? It's made from whisky, and quite sweet.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Rythe posted:

Get her a bottle of Laphroig and tell her not to be such a pussy.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Rythe posted:

Make your own simple syrup and sweet and sour. Whiskey sours or whiskey smashes all day.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A KY mule is a good start. Then something intermediate, then a Manhattan. The Manhattan is pretty sweet with the vermouth and natural sweetness of a lot of whiskeys.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

A KY mule is a good start. Then something intermediate, then a Manhattan. The Manhattan is pretty sweet with the vermouth and natural sweetness of a lot of whiskeys.

Whiskey and ginger is a classic for a good reason. So is something like a Lynchburg Lemonade or even just simple whiskey and lemonade.

I'm a big fan of New York Sours as well, the wine adds a real nice character that might appeal to people who like fruitier drinks.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

spankmeister posted:

That was my excuse when I started but years later I have a couple hundred corks for what reason ???

:iiam:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

wormil posted:

That was my excuse when I started but years later I have a couple hundred corks for what reason ???

As an old bartender friend used to say...

"I save the cork to build a raft to go back to Cuba."

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

wormil posted:

I had to use them once or twice. You need a shitload of them because they're all slightly different size.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
FYI, they make great bumpers, to stop a door from hitting the wall. I'm using one screwed to the wall while remodeling our bathroom.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I'm looking for a new bourbon to try that isn't too heavy on the oak flavors/smells. Price up to say $35.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 16, 2017

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Eagle rare.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

No kidding, I was thinking to myself, "If nobody suggests anything I'll just get some Eagle Rare to try, I guess." :effort:

e: It's funny how all over the place bourbon reviews are. Eagle Rare 10 gets everything from "IT'S A BOARD IN YOUR MOUTH Y'ALL" to barely using the word "oak" at all. I know it's a single barrel so there is a bit more variation, but just lol at some of that poo poo.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 17, 2017

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I recently started getting into bourbon, and I'm finding the selection to be rather intimidating when I don't know precisely where my tastes lie yet. I do have a bottle of Bulleit Bourbon that a friend recommended I try, and I think it's pretty good. Where should I go from here? I really like the vanilla aromatic that the Bulleit has, if that helps at all.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

sean10mm posted:

I know it's a single barrel so there is a bit more variation

Speaking of single barrel variations, I had a glass of Four Roses single barrel last night. The nose had this really unpleasant acetone thing going on. Like I was about to drink nail polish remover. I was much more happy with the Black Bush that I had just been drinking.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Nth Doctor posted:

Speaking of single barrel variations, I had a glass of Four Roses single barrel last night. The nose had this really unpleasant acetone thing going on. Like I was about to drink nail polish remover. I was much more happy with the Black Bush that I had just been drinking.

If it's a new bottle let it set for a day or two and try again. If you still get that, contact 4 Roses.

@matsuri, try the recommendations in the OP.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

wormil posted:

@matsuri, try the recommendations in the OP.

Will do. Thank you.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

This was my experience with Four Roses as well, I haven't gone back to try another.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

wormil posted:

If it's a new bottle let it set for a day or two and try again. If you still get that, contact 4 Roses.

Let it set just as-is? Or should I leave the top off?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
As is, top on.

MalleusDei posted:

This was my experience with Four Roses as well, I haven't gone back to try another.

Then you are missing out on one of the best bourbons, or at least it was when Jim Rutledge was there. I haven't had a bad bottle yet.

Speaking of Rutledge, he didn't stay retired long.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Matsuri posted:

I recently started getting into bourbon, and I'm finding the selection to be rather intimidating when I don't know precisely where my tastes lie yet. I do have a bottle of Bulleit Bourbon that a friend recommended I try, and I think it's pretty good. Where should I go from here? I really like the vanilla aromatic that the Bulleit has, if that helps at all.

Go to a bar that has a good selection and get a flight or samples. That way you can try several without committing to a bottle that you may not like.

I don't like most of the bourbons in the OP so tastes vary!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Just had a glass of Oak Cross...it was fine? Blend of some highland scotches I guess?

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

It's a Compass Box whisky, they're really good at giving a breakdown of the construction on their website:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Dave Angel posted:

It's a Compass Box whisky, they're really good at giving a breakdown of the construction on their website:

That's the one! Anyone had it? It really just tasted like generic scotch if I could describe anything that way. Wasn't bad, for sure, just...nothing jumped out.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

I think I must have had Oak Cross at some point, and that I can't really remember anything about it means my assessment would have been much in line with yours.

Compass Box are an interesting company though, they don't do their own distilling but buy spirit from a range of distillers and then do further barrel aging and blending to make their bespoke whiskies. They're kinda like what craft beer brewers are for the beer industry, experimenting with stuff.

Apparently they frequently butt heads with The Scottish Whisky Authority on what they can and can't do in the process and the labelling of their stuff. In whisky labelling the age statement refers to the age of the youngest whisky in the mix, so your 10 year old might actually be from mainly 11 and 12 year old barrels from the distillery. Obviously this is to prevent people from using a small amount of older whisky and trying to brand it as that, e.g. describing it as 30 year old when there's 10% 30 year old and 90% 5 year old in it. Compass Box wanted to give a full breakdown of what they used in each of their whiskies, e.g. their Compass Box is 24.1% 30 year old Clynelish, 27.1% 14 year old Caol Ila, etc. They weren't allowed to, they were told they could only give the age of the youngest whisky, meaning the age statement policy is preventing further information on the bottle's contents from being divulged. If you're interested, you can go on their website and click a "Request Recipe" link for each whisky and they'll email you the full details, which is cool. They later thumbed their noses at the SWA over this by making a whisky called Three Year Old Deluxe, with big, ornate branding focused on the 3 year old part.

Anyway, I'd recommend their Peat Monster (peaty, obviously), Spice Tree and Hedonism (really interesting blended grain whisky without any malt whisky in the mix) from their standard range, and I've got half a bottle left of a very nice Flaming Heart in my whisky stash I'm still working through.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Flaming Heart is amazing, I also want to give this is not a luxury whisky a try

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

spankmeister posted:

Flaming Heart is amazing, I also want to give this is not a luxury whisky a try

It is great, although I can still that about most compass box expressions

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Gravitee posted:

Go to a bar that has a good selection and get a flight or samples. That way you can try several without committing to a bottle that you may not like.

I don't like most of the bourbons in the OP so tastes vary!

Ah, good idea. I know a place! I'll try it sometime.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Oak Cross is great. I actually like it better than Spice Tree. Peat Monster is also decent as a medium "clean" peated blended-malt. For a change of pace, also try stuff like Hedonism, which will remind you just a bit of American whiskies.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Enjoying some Russell's Reserve for the first time in a couple years. So nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment

3 badasses. If you like rye and haven't tried that bottle in the middle, get on it.

So I never post pics anymore. Wtf happened to photobucket.....? Holy poo poo it is so terrible.

wontondestruction fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 26, 2017