Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

pancreas reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

a kitten posted:

Yeah it actually sounds like it could be right up my alley as a story. But, lol anyway at the title.

This.

I would also watch it if it was indeed pancake.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
aguri is the best part of gamers

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I want to believe that someone actually screwed up the first one and the director went "Nah, let's roll with it."

Also,

The Colonel posted:

aguri is the best part of gamers

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The pancreas thing is great because the live action movie is coming out here in Japan and it gets a laugh every time I tell someone what the name translates to. The story seems sad, but the name is just ridiculous.

rvm
May 6, 2013
Man, I feel hang over as if I drank for weeks even though I haven't touched alcohol in years. Post-op SUCKS.

Anime (specifically Tany the Evil) is saving me :)

Anyway, it's a good show and would only work as anime. I don't think it could work in any other medium.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Well, you could check out the LNs if you wanted to find out for sure.

But yeah, it's a good show. Looking forward to a second season whenever that happens.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

So yesterday I saw the movie In This Corner of the World. I guess it came out last year, and won a big pile of awards, but its american release is now, so maybe it's in your local theater, too.

It's about a young woman living through WWII. It's mostly a pretty low-key story about everyday wartime life. There's a tragic middle (I can't imagine there not being one, really) but it's ultimately pretty optimistic.

It's solid- I feel the the ending is oddly short, especially how, despite the main character being from Hiroshima, it covers the bombing and aftermath so briefly- but as I thought more about it afterwards it comes together very nicely. There's a few pretty scenes, and one gross one (which came super out of the blue. I don't know what to think about it, really. It's...appropriate but it comes at a real weird time). I don't know, I'm bad at writing reviews. watch movie.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm looking forward to watching it. I really liked the manga, although not quite as much as Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms by the same author.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Neeksy posted:

Has anybody else been watching 18if? Because it's become an interesting show out of nowhere.

well poo poo, that sure was an episode
really wish the show as a whole was more of that/episode 3 type stuff, where it's visually interesting and the story is engaging. or in the case of this week, a story you have to actively decipher and has multiple possible outcomes.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

a kitten posted:

I'm looking forward to watching it. I really liked the manga, although not quite as much as Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms by the same author.

I'm going to read Town of Evening Calm while I wait for In This Corner to be available. The trailers have looked pretty lovely

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Knorth posted:

I'm going to read Town of Evening Calm while I wait for In This Corner to be available. The trailers have looked pretty lovely

It's real good.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Calling it now, drunk wife show is AotY

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is it weird that I'm seeing a lot more Original Anime? Wasn't the tendency to avoid doing that kind of thing?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Not much jumps out to me. Ancient Magus's Bride, maybe? At least I'll still have Mahoujin Guru Guru.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Plausible.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Houseki no Kuni has a neat look to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL3vytC1140

Same with Children of the Whale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrKzNx2uy2c

I think Dav posted the Girls Last Tour trailer in here earlier, I really like the manga so I hope the anime is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u_2PbMgwR8

This woman has flowers growing in her hair, so that seems pretty swell

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't know, it's got BBB season 2 to compete with, and the motorcycle racing and 30 year old NEET woman shows might be fun. I also want to check out Kino.

Maybe the Houseki no Kuni anime will actually be remotely possible to follow compared to the manga.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
houseki no kuni will be interesting cause it's a full production by studio orange, who are known for doing actually nice-looking cg

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lot of good stuff there

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, if you're interested: Juuni Taisen is an adaptation of yet another of Nisio Isin's works.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you have to drink to be social, you are not a social drinker but who gives a gently caress if it's cute?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Assuming it covers the arcs I think it will, March comes in like a Lion S2 will be one of the best shows in years.

Osomatsu-san should also be great and while its manga has a heap of flaws I might cautiously look forward to UQ Holder.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Was Blood Block Battle good or did people just lose their minds over the ED?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

kater posted:

it was good

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

its manga has a heap of flaws I might cautiously look forward to UQ Holder.

Remember, Akamatsu stuff never gets a good anime. Also heap of flaws is putting it very lightly.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
BBB was ridiculously good, even with the less-than-stellar ending because it did SO many things right before getting to that point. Basically, imagine the 1st season of Durarara but instead of Kida's arc lasting like 7 episodes, it's over in 2.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

kater posted:

it's the best anime of 2015

i dunno if the new season will be as good cause the director of season 1 just had a loving amazing sense for visual flair and timing and pacing and she's not returning for this one, but the later stuff in the manga is supposed to be really good so it will probably still be good

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
March Comes In Like A Lion was already the best anime of this year (started in october, ended in march) and now Season 2's gonna do it again

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chumbler posted:

Remember, Akamatsu stuff never gets a good anime. Also heap of flaws is putting it very lightly.
On the one hand I do agree, because what I remember of the Love HIna anime wasn't all that great. On the other hand, it did put Yui Horie on the map, and she's rad. On a third hand, I need coffee.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
uq holder had too many naked children, even for akamatsu. it'd be nice if the anime censored that poo poo, but i'm not holding my breath.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Moltrey posted:

March Comes In Like A Lion was already the best anime of this year (started in october, ended in march) and now Season 2's gonna do it again
I kinda wish it had a more accurate title, but I do like The misadventures of Captain Frownyface Shogibutt. :)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Huh, Hozuki no Reitetsu is back. Also cute girls racing motorcycle... sidecars? Didn't even realize that was a thing.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

StandardVC10 posted:

Huh, Hozuki no Reitetsu is back. Also cute girls racing motorcycle... sidecars? Didn't even realize that was a thing.
Turns out Girls Und Panzer was the savior anime needed.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
On the other hand, if one of them is Steve McQueen, it could be pretty good.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Blend S is one of those premises that could go really well or really bad

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Blend S is one of those premises that is really bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Wark Say posted:

I kinda wish it had a more accurate title, but I do like The misadventures of Captain Frownyface Shogibutt. :)
A Depressed Teen Deals With Being Alone And The Anxieties Of Adulthood While Trying Not To Fail And Again Bring Ruin To Everyone He Cares About is a less good title tho.

Rei is the only good SadBoy ever in fiction imo

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 20, 2017

• Locked thread