Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
My grandma was deported to Siberia from Poland by the Russians during WWII. Since the family owned a decent chunk of land the soviets took it and split up the family that ended up killing a few of them including my great grandmother. My grandma has hated the Russians ever since and brings it up every week when we have dinner with her. She thinks they're behind everything she doesn't like in this country for the last 60 years.

So her poo poo head younger friend picked her up on election day and convinced her on the way to the poling place that Clinton was going to feed the olds to immigrants or something, and got her to vote for Trump. We continue to talk poo poo about him at dinner but try to avoid the fact that she probably voted for the very thing she's been afraid of for all these years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
My parents are came over here from Sicily in the 70s. They got their citizenship and are probably too stupid to see through Trump's poo poo.

But I don't know for sure. Haven't talked to them in years.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
So the Boston protest never actually started because the ~20 alt-right guys that showed up and occupied the bandstand ran away and left the cops to clean up their flags. Now there are hippie drum circles and covens of witches out in the Common having a grand old time.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Diabeesting posted:

So the Boston protest never actually started because the ~20 alt-right guys that showed up and occupied the bandstand ran away and left the cops to clean up their flags. Now there are hippie drum circles and covens of witches out in the Common having a grand old time.

Seeing counter protest crowd is being estimated at 20-30 thousand

https://twitter.com/kid_mao/status/898931810729701376

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Seeing counter protest crowd is being estimated at 20-30 thousand

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/898957347875192832

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

:swoon: :swoon:

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Starting to think democracy was a mistake. The American people have demonstrated that they have no business deciding who leads the country. You wouldn't trust an unemployed, racist, delusional meth addict with a gun, so why trust coal miners with choosing who controls the world's largest nuclear stockpile?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i don't think democracy is that bad if everyone actually loving participates

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Democracy is the least poo poo alternative out of all the other extremely poo poo alternatives.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Nobody knew world leadership could be so hard.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

australia has compulsory voting.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Bolow posted:

Democracy is the least poo poo alternative out of all the other extremely poo poo alternatives.

we just need a voting system that rewards centrist politicians. I'm kinda afraid of Democrats enacting universal healthcare in 2020 then Republicans ripping it away in 2024. These big swings are incredibly tiresome.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
So the boston rally was a flop. A couple dozen alt right shitheads showed up. With thousands of counterprotestors looming, they ran away and left a mess behind for police to clean. Since then the rally has turned into a loving hippie feel good get together with drum circles and people chanting "if you're a nazi and you got fired it's your fault"

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

we just need a voting system that rewards centrist politicians. I'm kinda afraid of Democrats enacting universal healthcare in 2020 then Republicans ripping it away in 2024. These big swings are incredibly tiresome.

Take money out of politics.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

It's great if you have an educated and informed populace or something approximating thereof. The evil influence of people like Murdoch and Fox News cannot be overstated.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Take money out of politics.

Funny enough, McCain's signature push in his senatorial career in ending earmarks is what led to congress grinding to a complete loving standstill.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mr. Mambold posted:

The evil influence of people like Murdoch and Fox News cannot be overstated.

Ya this and I seriously don't know how you go about stopping it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Two Finger posted:

Ya this and I seriously don't know how you go about stopping it.

i posted this yesterday, but stuff like this is a good start:

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc-news/watch/trump-advisor-brad-thomas-defends-potus-amid-ceo-backlash-1026775107752

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

dscruffy1 posted:

"Someone on the internet named Genocide Tendency said I should come up and say hi"

"Oh good ol' GenTen? I love that guy!"

This would work.

She knows the 4 internet handles I use. And telling some random stranger to go say hi to her for me is also exactly what I would do. We have an.. Odd friendship.

To be fair... I don't know if the brass knuckles part is real. But its something she would use. The knife is though. I bought it for her and she accidentally stabbed me with it. Twice.

Apparently they found the Indianapolis. Which I thought they found years ago:

http://fox59.com/2017/08/19/lost-uss-indianapolis-found-saturday-in-the-philippine-sea/

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I believe in one man, one vote. I should be the man, and I should get the vote.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I more meant when you have a significant portion of your population who will outright dismiss something as not being real if Fox disagree with it. Like, what the gently caress do you even do?

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Two Finger posted:

I more meant when you have a significant portion of your population who will outright dismiss something as not being real if Fox disagree with it. Like, what the gently caress do you even do?

Push facts and wait for the stupid to die.

But in reality, its already changing through the same process that got us Trump. Demoralization. Fox's ratings are plummeting. The news cycle is so bad for them they are just not watching anymore. With out a black guy as president to be a foil, and the complete incompetence of Trump they look at the poo poo show and decide they just don't want to watch their hopes of a utopia burn to the ground in front of them. Its also going to show up in voting unless something changes drastically. If the first 3/4 of next year are anything like the first 8 months of this year, Republicans just won't vote. Or the primary process will be such a disaster that they will wind up with a candidate that half the party won't vote for.

Fox has two problems. 1 - No foil. Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi just don't carry the weight a Clinton or Obama did. 2 - They don't have Rodger Ailes who was the one who truly understood how to program for and exploit the audience. They will need to make drastic changes over the next 7 months because once we get out of the primary season for midterms and get to the actual elections if they plan on being relevant.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Showed up to the Boston rally toward the end to get some photos, saw like a half dozen pro Trump olds and a couple fights, mostly just a giant hippy love fest. Did get to see someone get stomped and got a mouth full pepper spray when the cop I was photographing breaking up the stomping sprayed the poo poo into a gust of wind.

Most exciting part was watching a company-plus worth of riot cops march in from Chinatown in formation and immediately upon hitting the common just turn into alleys and start taking their poo poo off and getting on buses.

I'll throw some photos up later

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 19, 2017

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Here's a boston.jpg that has been making the rounds.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

facialimpediment posted:

Here's a boston.jpg that has been making the rounds.

I liked this one too,
https://twitter.com/Dread_Botlord/status/898929945757528065

Oh and now Trump's tweeting that it's nothing but anti-police agitators in Boston. Which is funny considering I've yet to hear of the police having any issues with the counter-protesters.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Not be a horrible person...but odds that it was just drinking (possibly rubbing alcohol) related?

Nah it was Chechens

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

old people are loving dense.

I deal with old timers regularly at work. A lot of people think that when you get older, age and experience will cause you to gradually filter out the horseshit in your brain. Not so. If you're born stupid you stay stupid.

People basically suck, is what I'm saying.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Our voting system has rewarded centrist politicians for the past 200 odd years. That's what a first past the post and a de facto two party system do. They reduce, structurally, the influence of fringe politics and fringe parties, and promote the conglomeration of political parties with the inherent result of more moderate party platforms.

While this has clearly been failing in recent years, I'd say that's more due to radicalization than it has to do with failures in our broader political system.

America is built off of the idea of small, moderate steps in a rightward or leftward direction, and thus has it been since Washington.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Handsome Ralph posted:

I liked this one too,

Oh and now Trump's tweeting that it's nothing but anti-police agitators in Boston. Which is funny considering I've yet to hear of the police having any issues with the counter-protesters.

What the everliving gently caress.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

What the everliving gently caress.

Tina Fey
https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/08/let-us-eat-cake/537294/

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Handsome Ralph posted:

I liked this one too,

Confirmed, everything was cordial between the cops and protestors. Only "negative" thing I saw was some idiot following the riot cops yelling about a police state right before they all just got on the bus. Protesters cleared out without incident at 2pm when cops dispersed them.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

There's always at least one person at these protests who wants to start poo poo with the cops, I saw a guy with a "free mumia" t shirt screaming at some bored uniforms at a Earth Day gathering once

he wandered off eventually

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Smiling Jack posted:

There's always at least one person at these protests who wants to start poo poo with the cops, I saw a guy with a "free mumia" t shirt screaming at some bored uniforms at a Earth Day gathering once

he wandered off eventually

Edit: I'm retarded and thought I was posting in a different thread then the one I literally just said the same thing in

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 19, 2017

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
derrrrrrrrrp

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/899001860639641600

Man that was a broken-rear end tweet.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

BPD: Please stop throwing piss at us.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Is there going to be a Little Red Book someday with this and other Tweets from Chairman Jackass?

edit

Untagged posted:

BPD: Please stop throwing piss at us.

soccer fans spotted

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Does he mean heal? Like, did he delete it twice and still get it wrong?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Some cool news out of the Pacific

https://twitter.com/PaulGAllen/status/898945611520552960

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
No, he means we need to behave better, like dogs

• Locked thread