Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Made one last pull on FFVII Banner 2, seeing 1/11 got me really worried, got Cloud's BSB2 thank GOD, now I never have to use Fenrir Overdrive ever again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

I really should pull on this FFXV banner since my only synergy is the Engine Blade, but really my augmented OSB weapons have just as much ATK so I'll wait.

Also I finally had fully Legend-dived Cecil with me in a fight that had physical damage. Watching him jump down to cover allies with his little shield out made my heart jump a little, it was the single most powerful hit of nostalgia I've had in this game yet. It's also a fantastic ability and procs nearly constantly. Great for my squishy Faris who's always stuck with a melee weapon in the front row.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

LM2 Cover is really good. LMR Cover is ... less so. Still worth equipping, but not worth bringing that character over someone else with better SB/ability options.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cattail Prophet posted:

:goonsay: This is incorrect, actually. I suspect you accidentally double counted the triple cast result in whatever method you used to come up with your total. The 36.25% is actually the total chance to at least doublecast (meaning the chance of only doublecasting is 32.5%).

I was always bad at stats :negative:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gladio OSB and LM

What do I do with this

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Gladio OSB and LM

What do I do with this

As someone with only the OSB part, apparently rosetta up the OSB and laugh as Celes uses Cloud USB RW to do 55k (per hit) twinstrike firas against the 160 adamantoise, and then proc on the doublecast.

I have a feeling cloud USB is gonna get a lot of work in given that the OSB is my only XV synergy and it can pack a hell of a punch paired with fire stuff.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It is a really good sword at least yes. And I actually didn't notice the fire boost, this is probably the strongest fire weapon I have.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
I figured Gladio is supposed to be a tank so I have his BSB + LMR and slapped on Draw Fire + Retaliate just to play around with new stuff. Is tanking even a thing in this game though?

Also random side question: If I use Rikku's Hyper Mighty G, does Ramza's Shout become useless?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

jebeebus posted:

I figured Gladio is supposed to be a tank so I have his BSB + LMR and slapped on Draw Fire + Retaliate just to play around with new stuff. Is tanking even a thing in this game though?

Also random side question: If I use Rikku's Hyper Mighty G, does Ramza's Shout become useless?

The haste from Shout will be redundant, but the +ATK buff will stack with the +ATK/MAG buff from Rikku's USB. The general rule of thumb is that if two buffs or debuffs modify the exact same set of stats (ATK/MAG and ATK/MAG), they'll overwrite, but if they modify different stats (ATK/MAG and ATK/DEF) then they will stack multiplicatively. If you want to get the most out of it though, you could use something that grants the +ATK buff without the haste, like Minfillia's SSB (which also gives Last Stand).

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

jebeebus posted:

Tanking is kind of a thing but it doesn't come up very often. Draw fire/retaliate or magic lure shenanigans can completely neuter some bosses but most of the time it isn't worth it since you're probably losing out on a lot of damage potential.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Did anyone else fail the mastery for Garuda because they forgot to bring a jump attack?

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Zurai posted:

LM2 Cover is really good. LMR Cover is ... less so. Still worth equipping, but not worth bringing that character over someone else with better SB/ability options.

Well, apart from being my favorite FF character, I have every Cecil relic except for his first (obsolete) and most recent (saving for FFIV) so he's probably my single most used character.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

Geocities Homepage King posted:

Tanking is kind of a thing but it doesn't come up very often. Draw fire/retaliate or magic lure shenanigans can completely neuter some bosses but most of the time it isn't worth it since you're probably losing out on a lot of damage potential.

I love and use taunt a lot. Preferably I can use Gaea's Cross which also hits for quite a bit but Draw Fire works too. Admittably I mostly use taunt for CM content but for me they are the most difficult fights available so it really is a big player. Controlling who takes damage (and actually greatly reduced damage) is important when you have no medica in a 180 CM or a 200 CM torment. If your taunter has a SB available Lionheart RM makes for a strong combo.

Sometimes I run reta with taunt but not always, there are often more important things to bring.

E: I guess what I'm trying to say is that the utility of taunt depends on your team's overall quality.

If your healer (usually the weakest link) is built like a brick shithouse with 9000 HP from a full Legend Dive a taunt won't be doing a whole lot but if 80% of your team is made out of glass one tough guy drawing all of the hits to himself is very good.

Neutral Zone Trap fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 18, 2017

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

jebeebus posted:

Not Always. Shout increases ATK more than Rikku's USB, and sometimes a +30% attack buff alone isn't enough to get your guys to the soft cap, so Shout might be better for a physical team. Also, you kinda need to look at what the characters themselves can contribute to the fight with their ability access. But in general, yes, Rikku's USB is better than Shout.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
Ohh ok, thanks all, I was wondering because I tend to use Rikku USB RW for harder stuff and never knew if Shout was just redundant. I actually did get Minfilia's SSB but never used her because thats all I had for her maybe I will experiment.

So I guess that means Full Break stacks with Atk/mag/def/res Breakdown as well?

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
You can stack every level of break once:

Penta-break
Full break
X/Y/Z break
X/Y break
X break

it has definitely helped me a lot!

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

ceaselessfuture posted:

You can stack every level of break once:

Penta-break
Full break
X/Y/Z break
X/Y break
X break

it has definitely helped me a lot!

You could also stack:

X/Z
Z/X
Y/Z/W
Z/W
A/W/Z

etc etc, as long as the mix of stats being debuffed are all unique. Of course there is a cap to how much you can debuff a single stat, even if you find all the unique debuffs in the world.. (About -60~70%)

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

jebeebus posted:

Gladio's BSB CMD2 gives the same effect as Draw Fire, so you definitely don't need to put it on him. That said, he can use the Knight ability Gaia Cross which synergizes with his EnEarth, and also does the same thing + damage.

As someone else said, retaliate is only situationally useful these days. Shelke from the VII event, for instance, becomes much easier if you have someone countering her counters.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Been dicking around in Realm dungeons with Noctis' SSB and it isn't difficult content at all, but this thing is fun as heck.

I might have to see how he does on the A-team with just this attack.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Schwartzcough posted:

Not Always. Shout increases ATK more than Rikku's USB, and sometimes a +30% attack buff alone isn't enough to get your guys to the soft cap, so Shout might be better for a physical team. Also, you kinda need to look at what the characters themselves can contribute to the fight with their ability access. But in general, yes, Rikku's USB is better than Shout.

Also remember that the soft cap is soft, and that it's diminishing returns after going over but still improvement. So if you're not damage capping with 9999 on each hit, adding more ATK or MAG buffs above the soft cap is not always a bad thing. Just depends on whether you're giving up other utility to fit the buff in your team.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Semi-rage pulled XV after going OSB/11

4/11

Dupe Gladiolus OSB
Noctis SSB
Noctis LMR
Iris LMR

Makes Noctis a pretty good dude to have, and if I combine those OSBs I have an insane cross-realm sword.

Wanted a BSB but I think I'm court-ordered to be pretty cool with going 4/11 with a disco.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

You guys are tempting me to go for another. Is Gladio an acceptable substitute for Ramza if you're simply comparing Shout to Pep Talk?

I don't need the Haste from Shout, so in a vacuum it's better, but I also need to increase the DPS of my crew. Would swapping in Gladio work better? Knight/Combat/Samurai doesn't seem particularly monstrous for DPS.

But if so, I might just pull again...

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

ceaselessfuture posted:

You guys are tempting me to go for another. Is Gladio an acceptable substitute for Ramza if you're simply comparing Shout to Pep Talk?

I don't need the Haste from Shout, so in a vacuum it's better, but I also need to increase the DPS of my crew. Would swapping in Gladio work better? Knight/Combat/Samurai doesn't seem particularly monstrous for DPS.

More than one pull on a non top tier banner is almost never worth it.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ceaselessfuture posted:

If you already have a different hastega you're leading with, then 50% ATK+Last Stand is very good. I use Minfilia (although she juggles her USB and SSB) over Ramza most of the time now.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ceaselessfuture posted:

Pep Talk is a carbon copy of Minfilia's Blessing of Light, just on a unit without Support access. Any arguments for that versus Shout still apply.

Knight 5/Combat 5/Samurai 5 is perfectly servicable as a damage unit; Knight has good damage skills (Guardbringer, Saint Cross/Gaia Cross), Samurai has self-sufficiency (Hailstorm and, in a severe Shout-less pinch, Mirror of Equity), and Combat has, of course, Omega Drive and Full Charge.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Do LMs that increase the duration of stat buffs cast by a character also affect stat buffs from RWs casted by that character? Like, if I have Ramza cast an SS2 RW, would it last longer?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yes.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I've been farming the XII torment with the following team and it has been completely ridiculous.

Lightning with USB and full legend dive
Garnet with BSB2 (imperil lightning +30% ATT/MAG)
Ramza with Shout and Chant
Raijin with SSB (party fast cast, last stand)
Tyro/Penelo with Wall/Medica, doesn't really matter
RW: Cloud USB

Lightning instant casts 4 actions and the boss is dead. This might become my go to full throttle team against enemies that don't resist lightning. You don't even really need the mitigation or medica due to how quickly it wins combined with the spammed last stand.

Once the ability revamp happens Thundering Twinstrike will end up better and easier to use than her BSB2 cmd1 for sustained DPS, I'm not too upset about missing out on that relic. Unfortunately, even after farming the II Torment as much as possible I won't have enough MPOs to r5 Thundering Twinstrike. Lightning goes through lightning hones awfully quick once she uses her USB.

Lightning is really good if you have her USB.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

I can make almost that exact same team, except without Chant. I will have to Legend dive Lightning soon, as I have her USB; but currently I'm holding onto motes in reserve for Faris, hoping the V event is soon.

I did a partial dive on Agrias, to get the plus holy damage, as I've been farming the T Torment. The orbs aren't as useful but it is so drat fun. I setup buffs/debuffs, then Agrias en-holy SSB followed by two BSBs hitting for 40k-50k per hit per target. After which TGCid is setup with OSB->CloudUSB, so he can 15-20k per hit on his BSBx2 to finish off Belias.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Oryp posted:

I can make almost that exact same team, except without Chant. I will have to Legend dive Lightning soon, as I have her USB; but currently I'm holding onto motes in reserve for Faris, hoping the V event is soon.

The FFV event is two to four events away depending on how things get shuffled. For sure we've got FF11 (Zeid/Aphmau), then FF4 (Rubicante); FF5 should be after that but it'd be the first event after our next maintenance, and they've shuffled events before.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Lightning is really good even without her USB. I can do SSB2, SSB2, BSB2 to clear the XII 300. The Ice Azers go down with the second SSB2 leaving Mateus exposed to the BSB2 entry. I had a similar clear for the 3CM with Ramza and Lightning being the quests.

That being said it doesn't look like I'll be farming torments anymore as I can no longer get Fiddler to spit out a session ID. Not a big loss though, my hones are fine already.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

KataraniSword posted:

Knight 5/Combat 5/Samurai 5 is perfectly servicable as a damage unit; Knight has good damage skills (Guardbringer, Saint Cross/Gaia Cross), Samurai has self-sufficiency (Hailstorm and, in a severe Shout-less pinch, Mirror of Equity), and Combat has, of course, Omega Drive and Full Charge.

Awesome, I'll make the swap then! Is Full Charge good enough to use by itself or does it need to be comboed with, eg, Powerchain?

quote:

The FFV event is two to four events away depending on how things get shuffled. For sure we've got FF11 (Zeid/Aphmau), then FF4 (Rubicante); FF5 should be after that but it'd be the first event after our next maintenance, and they've shuffled events before.

Yeah, I'm planning for 4, then 5, then 6.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ceaselessfuture posted:

Awesome, I'll make the swap then! Is Full Charge good enough to use by itself or does it need to be comboed with, eg, Powerchain?

Full Charge is as good as most pure damage Unique-tier single target soulbreaks. It's four hits, a total of 4.68x potency, but takes 3.3 seconds to resolve - so about the same speed as a Soul Break, for about the same damage as the earliest stuff.

It's "good" for slot filler (most 5* skills hover around 2.5-3x damage, on average) but it mostly excels in situations where you can shorten the cast time - such as using Noctis/TGCid OSBs, or Powerchain.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
I didn't Legend Dive Lightning because I figured that it wouldnt be worth it after missing out on her BSB2, even though I have her USB. Maybe I should reconsider huh...

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
Man it feels good to beat nemesis @ 255 with a pub team, without shout. We all just stacked magic/physical blink, radiant shield was the real mvp though, and selphie's usb.
That boundless ethereal cannon + whatever horseshit aoe was pretty corny though.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Managed to take care of the FF15 U+ and A+ and the last two Rebirth Dungeons tonight. Kuja was pretty annoying but essentially raced him to death while barely holding on. Good fun, and Y'shtola is a mere hop away from finishing her Legend Dive and getting that clutch White Magic dualcast. If only I had been willing to do the Garuda torment, but oh well.

Speaking of Torments, I'll see if I can do something about the FF12 one on Monday. I don't really know how it'll work with the physical party I have, but theoretically I should be okay. Yet to be seen.

I also have some raids to do; hopefully I can take care of those before they disappear. I'll try to do one tonight at least.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Shock Trooper posted:

I didn't Legend Dive Lightning because I figured that it wouldnt be worth it after missing out on her BSB2, even though I have her USB. Maybe I should reconsider huh...

I would. She was one of the first people I legend dived in JP with just her USB and she's been one of my top units since. I ended up pulling on the last XIII event just for a chance to get her 25% dualcast lightning LMR (and got it!), making her even better. When the ability buff comes around that makes most 5* abilities 4-hit, it's even better because she can generally put out 40k damage every turn at triple speed.

Her LM2 really is great- with Lifesiphon, she can get more than a full gauge before most of the rest of your team has finished their first turn. With jump start, she can armor break, summon cloud USB, and then her own USB about the time Shout is finished being cast.

What I'm saying is I'm really sad I didn't get Lightning's USB in global.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, Autohaste + Instant Cast 3 is one of those materias that seems kind of "oh, that's nice, I guess?" until you use and realize that it's actually easily in the top tier of Legend Materia types. I wasn't sold on it until I decided to dive Lightning myself in JP, but wow using it really does show you just how valuable it is. If nothing else, it means you're guaranteed to get Wall (or whatever your RW is) up before the boss has any chance whatsoever to use any non-scripted killer attacks -- and then you still have Haste + IC2 left over.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Unfortunately I'm now realizing I blew all my Dexterity motes on Refia and have nowhere near enough to fully dive Lightning. Back to waiting for events that don't award Vitality, Bravery, or Wisdom motes I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
Can anyone give me some advice on how to beat belias d300?

Currently I'm running...

Agrias - Cleansing Strike, Divine Ruination BSB
Faris - Beryl Serpent BSB, Sea Lord's Broadside SB
Ramza - Shout SSB, Tailwind SB, Unsung Hero BSB
Vanille - Transcendent Dream BSB, Convalescence USB
Basch - Fulminating Darkness SB, Apocalypse Shield SB
--- SG rw

I got all the bells and whistles accessory-wise, and other characters that are pretty stacked. I probably have whatever is suggested.

Holy-wise I have...

Firion - BSB
Locke - OSB
Pecil - BSB, OSB
Celes - BSB, that 5 hit runic SSB
Penelo - BSB, 3 hit heal SSB
Hope - Everything except his BSB2

Do I use noctis' rm4 to keep dishing damage when my abilities run out?

• Locked thread