Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Is Splinter their enemy because it hurts to get a splinter in your Foot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Firstborn posted:

So...

The Hand

The Foot

Master Stick

Master Splinter

Hmmm... :420:
congrats on your cosmic brain

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
It's more a post for "things I never noticed", but still ... never noticed

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Let's be honest here guys, the Hand were perfectly competent and evenly matched villains to Danny Rand, the Immortal White Fist.

TFRazorsaw posted:

the article says that there were a good amount of watchers for later episodes, so.

First three episodes yeah. I'd also be legitimately curious to see how many people who finish Season 1 watch season 2

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Please do one for Starcraft and WH40k next, I need to feel 13 again

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Predator... is like Protoss
Zerg... is like Alien

The Terran Dropship says "in the pipe, 5 x 5", a direct quote of Aliens

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
You might also notice that the original Turtles all wore red headbands.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Random thing: I rewatched DDS2 a few months ago, and at some point near the end, Foggy is walking through a police station, and he stands next to a calendar that says December 2015, which technically means it happens after Avengers 2, that season came out March of 2016, only a few months off. So the theory that all this is happening in the past just after Avengers 1 is nonsense.

Finished it all, thoughts It was pretty okay. Better than IF. Danny remains so stupid it's hard to suspend my disbelief, all the way to the very end, again. "Golly, their whole plan they need me to magic punch this wall open, but grr now I'm mad, I'm gonna turn on my fist and punch the lady standing right in front of the magic wall! Hope she doesn't duck." I enjoyed everyone coming together because I can't help but eat that MCU schlock up, so that's a positive I guess. Gao remains the best and I hope she survives too, some kind of post hand poo poo going on with her would be fun. Maybe she made it out with a dragon bone or two. Everyone dunking on Danny all day er'ry day was good.

Worst offenses:

Dragon bone cave magically holding up New York is stupid. Everything about that plot was stupid. These people have been around for centuries at least, but they wait until they're dangerously close to running out of immortal juice before replenishing their supply, or did Electra take a ton of extra immortal juice for some reason? Considering they hand that poo poo out to folks like Rand it couldn't be that rare. How do the blood incubators work anyways? In DD2 it turned them into zombies loyal to the hand. One of two things must be true; either the entire dome is made out of magical concrete that can withstand literally anything except the iron fist, therefore it can have a tiny hole drilled it in and the bones removed and it can still hold up New York, or the door really was six feet wide and they could have just kept digging a little more and this would have never been an issue.

The lying loving trailer said there would be loving punisher in this poo poo. A post credit trailer is a cop out. gently caress you guys, I wanted the punisher to actually show up.

Opening fight scene still the worst thing they ever filmed. Like sand snakes fight bad.

Questions:
Why was everything covered up at the end? With the hand gone, or at least in disarray who's doing the covering up? I'd assume Manhattan would be a bit sensitive about the whole skyscraper suddenly collapsing thing. Or at least wonder about it, but I guess no one cares anymore.

Where is Matt? I assumed Kun Lun but I doubt they have catholic prayer beads there. Maybe the actual dome was up above and he's living in the dome of the catholic mole people now. He'd probably love that.

Why black sky again? Was it literally just Alexandria's daughter's spirit or whatever and she wanted it back? I can't remember that conversation now because it wasn't very good.

Firstborn posted:

So...

Yes, TMNT is based entirely off Daredevil. Stick > Splinter, Hand > Foot. Even the goo that made the turtles was from the same accident that blinded Matt at some point.

Expired Vitamin
Jul 3, 2017

Bassed on everything I read I skipped Iron Fist; Defenders leaves me thinking I should watch It, Finn Jones makes me hate that thought. It seems like Defenders draws off of Danny and Matt's back stories more than anything. Elodie Yung seems like a heck of a silver lining at least.

Seriously, Finn Jones and the script form a rare synergy in which they fail harder than the sum of their parts would allow on their own.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Expired Vitamin posted:

Bassed on everything I read I skipped Iron Fist; Defenders leaves me thinking I should watch It, Finn Jones makes me hate that thought. It seems like Defenders draws off of Danny and Matt's back stories more than anything. Elodie Yung seems like a heck of a silver lining at least.
IF features zero mystical stuff, which makes it extremely dumb. There's some plotline back and forth, but they don't really dwell about any actually cool IF lore. It's mostly people beating each other up in dojos, skyscrapers, and parking lots.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Defenders was good. Sigourney Weaver was good. I don't think she is wasted any more than the big name actors showing up in Game of Thrones are wasted.

One of my disappointments was the amount of like-fights-like (black fights black, Asian fights Asian, woman fights woman). Another was some of the writing (especially "we're not so different," holy poo poo), though not the overall plot, which is comic-book-acceptable, and if you couldn't follow it you were distracted. Plot armor (person is unstoppable one moment, but then suddenly gets booped on the nose, or distracted by somebody saying mean things, and they lose all their abilities) showed some lack of imagination.

They did the best they could with the Iron Fist they inherited.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there a good reason for why they had seven directors for eight episodes?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Firstborn posted:

So...

The Hand

The Foot

Master Stick

Master Splinter

The turtles stuff was done on purpose as mockery.

EDIT: f;b

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 19, 2017

Expired Vitamin
Jul 3, 2017

homullus posted:

They did the best they could with the Iron Fist they inherited.

Yeah, he was not enough to ruin The Defenders but a long shot, but he is still a serious weak link in both the story and the cast. I think I can see what they are going for with him they just have their script phasers set to, miss. It seems like IF does a half hearted Christian Bale tough talk/growl at times too.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
First two episodes put me to sleep. I actually might have to rewatch the second one. It could have just been me being sleepy, or maybe it was really slow. I don't really know, because it put me to sleep.

Also the first episode triggered the Auto Motion Plus feature on my TV. I watched the first half of the episode thinking they filmed the show at a higher framerate until it started giving me a headache and I starting playing around with my TV settings. gently caress that stupid feature on every TV.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lycus posted:

I thought they were gonna do something crazy with Matt's survival, like he winds up in another dimension or something.

he should've
ended up in kun lun with elektra. i don't care how. there was a portal in the dragon, whatever. it's more sensible than him being dug out and healed by nuns or whatever

also the punisher showing up would've been hysterical. what are the threats all the heroes fact together: a couple rooms full of 30ish ninja mooks + the 5 fingers? punisher would've gunned everyone down in 15 seconds and the show would be over

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 19, 2017

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Slowpoke! posted:

First two episodes put me to sleep. I actually might have to rewatch the second one. It could have just been me being sleepy, or maybe it was really slow. I don't really know, because it put me to sleep.

Also the first episode triggered the Auto Motion Plus feature on my TV. I watched the first half of the episode thinking they filmed the show at a higher framerate until it started giving me a headache and I starting playing around with my TV settings. gently caress that stupid feature on every TV.

What's really terrible is that there are morons out there that think that poo poo looks good. Why yes, I want everything I watch to look like it was filmed in video tape like a god damned soap opera.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Finn Jones is an okay actor when he's speaking like a normal person. When he tries to show anger or frustration, it just sounds like he's overacting and it is just so bad. It really grinds everything to a halt.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DrNutt posted:

What's really terrible is that there are morons out there that think that poo poo looks good. Why yes, I want everything I watch to look like it was filmed in video tape like a god damned soap opera.

These people deserve to burn in the ninth circle of hell.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

E6: Alexandra's big speech about how she's done all this poo poo that she actually hasn't really was the perfect time for that :allears: Laughed big time because there's no greater annoyance to me than an incompetent villain being treated as competent by the narrative and to see it turn around like that was :discourse:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Here I went watching the series still thinking Weaver was supposed to be Mephisto. Guess that was just a casting rumor. Though, of course, they did intentionally say "Did you see the body?"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lycus posted:

I thought they were gonna do something crazy with Matt's survival, like he winds up in another dimension or something.

That's because every single thing in the entire show up was leading up to that conclusion. And then they decided, nah, it's actually all about Chinese folk medicine.
[whole season]
  • Alexandra uses the last of the resurrection juice to bring back Elektra as the Black Sky even though she's dying in a few week/months and could use it to be alive next winter.

• The true goal of the Hand is revealed to be their return to K'un-Lun, and all the resurrections and other bullshit is in service to that.

• The 5 Fingers repeatedly talk about how they are on the cusp of their goal. Closer than ever to completing their ultimate objective.

• The 5 Fingers also repeatedly talk about being out of resurrection juice as if this is the first time and a permanent change of status. Not something affecting their goal, but something affecting their strategy.

• Given their continued goal of returning, they didn't do anything to K'un-Lun at the end of Iron Fist. Which means K'un-Lun still exists but is probably back in another dimension. Completely believable that the Dumbest Iron Fist yet misread his portal clock.

• The super important goal of the giant hole from Daredevil was being obstructed by a barrier that utilized Iron Fist chi to make it impassible. This is apparently the first time in their long history of digging giant holes under cities that this has happened.

• When Danny idiotically busts through the doorway, he gets pissed about desecrating Shou-Lao. Gao retorts that's ironic since he did punch Shou-Lao right in the heart. So this is a corpse of Shou-Lao.

• When the bomb is prematurely activated, the heroes are still fighting in the cave and the timer is counting down from something like 8 minutes. Implying that Coleen, Claire, and most of Misty can make it out the front door but there's no way the team is finishing the fight, getting out of the pit, and through the building before the explosion.

Everything was leading up to the Hand repeatedly digging giant holes under cities trying to find a secret back way into K'un-Lun. Finally finding the actual back door in New York, but thwarted by an Iron Fist who had sealed the entrance with their Chi.

Then it turns out that for whatever reason the corpses of Shou-Lao the Undying get dumped into caves beneath major metropolitan areas. It is still unclear whether cities naturally form over his bones or if someone is purposefully placing them under cities. The Hand have been harvesting the bones of the various Shou-Lao corpses for centuries, and for some weirdass reason the corpse under New York is inexplicably sealed with the seal of the Iron Fist unlike any other corpse. This also means that all the talk about being out of immortality juice is a somewhat regular occurrence for the Hand and that for some reason they just happened to be bad at budgeting immortality juice leading up to the planed excavation of the inexplicably protected corpse under New York.

We also caused a plot hole in finding out that while some people resurrected don't have heart beats, we know that the 5 Fingers do. Gao never caused Matt to freak out about her lack of heartbeat. Alexandra gets a full medial workup without anyone wondering if her organ failure might stem from her lack of heart beat. Stick and Matt both check African Hand guy's pulse.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

E6: Alexandra's big speech about how she's done all this poo poo that she actually hasn't really was the perfect time for that :allears: Laughed big time because there's no greater annoyance to me than an incompetent villain being treated as competent by the narrative and to see it turn around like that was :discourse:

Agreed. It was a a good Deep Blue See moment.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Matt's friends are the loving worst.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Their all bad friends

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
What can I say except I liked it?

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
Something I was thinking about Stick. Outside the moment of execution, no one gave a poo poo that he died. It's questionable if Matt was perturbed over that more than the fact that it was Elektra killing someone. He really was a total rear end in a top hat who endeared himself to exactly no one, and everybody just kind of moving on without a word was the slightest bit cathartic.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cran posted:

Something I was thinking about Stick. Outside the moment of execution, no one gave a poo poo that he died. It's questionable if Matt was perturbed over that more than the fact that it was Elektra killing someone. He really was a total rear end in a top hat who endeared himself to exactly no one, and everybody just kind of moving on without a word was the slightest bit cathartic.

That reminds me, this show was the culmination of a centuries long battle between two ninja clans, right?

Why the gently caress wasn't there a single ninja vs ninja fight?

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
There were like ten ninjas left because both clans are awful at everything.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

bunnyofdoom posted:

What can I say except I liked it?

Agreed. I enjoyed it!

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.
The Defenders is the film equivalent of the color Beige.

Did like JJ and Matt screen time. The two should have cross overs.

Hoping they don't hose up Punisher now though...

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CodeJanitor posted:

Hoping they don't hose up Punisher now though...

One thing Punisher has going for it is that the actions scenes are considerably easier to film for TV. People expect the superhuman in these stories, but to achieve that Frank doesn't have to lift cars or do triple backflips, he just has to kill people deader and faster than ought to be possible. Preternatural strength and crazy martial arts both require a non-trivial amount of work in pre and post-production, but the violent brutality that is the hallmark Castle's world isn't quite so demanding.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah that's why I give Jessica a pass. She should be just tearing people up while yawning but it's tough to make Rittter look like a brute. Luke is easy, clanging ADR and a bored look but Jessica should realistically be able to go ballistic, aside from her desire to ignore her powers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Skippy McPants posted:

One thing Punisher has going for it is that the actions scenes are considerably easier to film for TV. People expect the superhuman in these stories, but to achieve that Frank doesn't have to lift cars or do triple backflips, he just has to kill people deader and faster than ought to be possible. Preternatural strength and crazy martial arts both require a non-trivial amount of work in pre and post-production, but the violent brutality that is the hallmark Castle's world isn't quite so demanding.

Helps that Punisher usually prefers guns, so the fight choreography probably won't be as involved as for Daredevil, Luke, or Iron Fist.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
My favorite part of Daredevil Season 2 was easily the Punisher, i'm very excited for his series. If they follow any of the Garth Ennis beats it will be a good show.

JackDarko fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 19, 2017

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I really really don't want yet another loving adaptation of welcome back Frank. Now some MAX storyline would be good I guess

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

bunnyofdoom posted:

I really really don't want yet another loving adaptation of welcome back Frank. Now some MAX storyline would be good I guess

Yeah I should have been clear! I do mean MAX, id love to see Barracuda.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Given the current national climate I hope the Punisher season 1 is Frank taking down a gang of neo Nazis and white nationalists.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
In retrospect, it's weird that Gao and Nobu were seemingly on equal footing in DD S1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I kinda liked/hated the show. I was ok with the story and actually felt it did a great job tying everyone together. The first 6 episodes were pretty good but the last 2 completely didn't work for me.

E8: I pretty much hated the entirety of the final fight. Jessica didn't really fight like someone who's actually super strong (as shown by the elevator scene). So it felt jarring to see her punching people no harder than Matt then 5 minutes later grab a thousand pounds or more one handed. Luke did all right, he didn't really flinch or budged and threw a ton of people around. Matt did about as well as they could have done for him. Danny had way better combat than his previous showing but holy gently caress making his fist some kind of use once a fight thing was and still is stupid as hell.

So having all of this turn into one continuous fight against a bunch of mooks just kinda amplified how they weren't really playing up to the character strengths and by then I just wanted the show to end.

Also the conveniently timed only a couple of dudes actually have guns and they mostly go for Luke moments were silly as hell.