Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
One - You lock the target

scary ghost dog posted:

big epic story where the end is just as good as the beginning? let me describe to you the events of hit tv show Under The Dome

I really want this show to descend into full Under The Dome levels of insanity and bad acting. It's about 70% of the way there already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

kcroy posted:

I'm not sure how I felt about Jesse - I always sort of hated him tbh. Seems like he got off pretty easy at the end.

If you weren't paying attention, he had a lot of personal drama go down. I mean, I know his gf was a junkie and everything but Walt watching her asphyxiate was harsh.

He wasn't very actualized, as a character. He just sort of responded to things happening in his life. There was no big "Jesse Moment"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m not sure if it counts as an epic but Six Feet Under still has the best ending in television and it’s not even close.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m not sure if it counts as an epic but Six Feet Under still has the best ending in television and it’s not even close.

Sia:allears:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace had the best ending.
It had the best 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th episodes too.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

GannerOne posted:

It's kind of the same feeling I get from GoT right now. Basically there's two books of TV show left to make, but they squeeze it into to smaller seasons. Everything from teleporting armies and ravens, to major characters showing up/disappearing (Sand snakes, Euron etc.) seems so strange. I hate it that major plot points in the books, as well as things that have been theories for years like the R+L reveal are hosed up by this. Instead of sqeezing 5 minutes of nudity or some other unnecessary into every episode the past 6 seasons the probably could have added several episodes worth of lore, back-story and story-heavy scenes into the show, dramatically elevating the overall quality.

well, it doesn't help that a lot of the teleporting and inexplicable decision-making could be avoided with a modicum of effort when plotting out the seasons

in this episode for instance we've got gendry riding to Eastwatch, a raven flying to dragonstone, and dany flying from dragonstone to north of the wall, all in a few hours

but there's no reason dany couldn't have been waiting at eastwatch to back up the squad all along
she was already on board with their plan, has just inflicted a major defeat on the lannisters, and has large conventional military forces with which to hold her positions in the south.
it's almost as if they went out of the way to force her to teleport all the way from dragonstone

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 18, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Everyone's Waiting is indeed the best.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace had the best ending.
It had the best 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th episodes too.

And this is also true.

e:^ hell, so much could be fixed by injecting prophecies being important into the show again

esperterra fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 18, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I think we can all agree that ASOIAF/GoT is a blight on public discourse.

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/898600719309185024

https://twitter.com/sarahcwestwood/status/898597075931340800

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Shapiro's too short to even be a Child of the Forest.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Is it more or less of a blight than Harry Potter?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Plucky Brit posted:

Is it more or less of a blight than Harry Potter?

Far, far less. At least ASoIaF isn't intended for literal children.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i dunno, introducing the phrase "bend the knee" to the general public was fun

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kavak posted:

Far, far less. At least ASoIaF isn't intended for literal children.

not in a respectable way

the Dany/Drogo rape could be seen as a grooming tool

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nah, that's just Ben Shapiro trying to fool all the hip Youngs into thinking that he's one of their own. There's no way in hell a man who wrote a book screaming about how kids these days are having too much loving sex when he was 15 years old watches a show with mandated full frontal nudity every half hour.

Breitbart and everyone associated with it, past and present, is the blight on public discourse.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There have been a grand total of 2 tits this whole season. 4 if you count Jon Snow's.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
There were tits this season?

I thought they were about to pull off the impossible.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

There have been no tits in season 7

No Sand Snake boobies, no Stark kids nipple slips

Samwell Tarly might have flashed some moobs but that's his prerogative

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Missandei.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Nah, that's just Ben Shapiro trying to fool all the hip Youngs into thinking that he's one of their own. There's no way in hell a man who wrote a book screaming about how kids these days are having too much loving sex when he was 15 years old watches a show with mandated full frontal nudity every half hour.

Breitbart and everyone associated with it, past and present, is the blight on public discourse.

He was a bear of a man - 6'3" in his bare feet, and 215 lbs in his underwear, with greying blond crew cut and a face carved of granite.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

supposedly Winter Is Coming comes from one of the nazi books bannon likes, not from gurm

so the bannon quotation at least is probably real

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I thought HBO had quotas on nudity. Here's hoping everyone in the season finale is 100% naked all the time, regardless of context.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've been rewatching Rome and it has had so much more nudity in three episodes than GOT has had in the last three seasons.

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've been rewatching Rome and it has had so much more nudity in three episodes than GOT has had in the last three seasons.

Atia :swoon:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Atia's gift slave to Servilia :dong:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Large penis is welcome in any household.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
It's a shame Rome was made before HBO got fully on board with the idea of pumping Hollywood levels of money into their series because it was insanely good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMV-GdAeBpU

Same goes for Carnivale.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only downside to Rome season 1 is that they couldn't show off the battles in a way that gave them justice. They blew all their money on designing the greatest city set ever made for television, and it left nothing for fight scenes.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Also Heady's body double.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

bloom posted:

It's a shame Rome was made before HBO got fully on board with the idea of pumping Hollywood levels of money into their series because it was insanely good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMV-GdAeBpU

Same goes for Carnivale.

God, I miss Carnivale.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

PupsOfWar posted:

supposedly Winter Is Coming comes from one of the nazi books bannon likes, not from gurm

so the bannon quotation at least is probably real

I thought Nazi Germany had trouble with winter

They left a lot of holes in St Petersburg/Leningrad but ultimately failed

If you go on a tour there the guides will kindly point out the still existent battle damage from the 30s/40s

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Зима приближается

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

esperterra posted:

God, I miss Carnivale.

I really should rewatch it one of these days. Probably the best thing HBO ever aired.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

syscall girl posted:

I thought Nazi Germany had trouble with winter

not german nazis, the american kind that preppers and whatnot read

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/08/us/politics/bannon-fourth-turning.html?mcubz=1

some nazi authors posted:

History is seasonal, and winter is coming. … The very survival of the nation will feel at stake. Sometime before the year 2025, America will pass through a great gate in history, one commensurate with the American Revolution, Civil War, and twin emergencies of the Great Depression and World War II. The risk of catastrophe will be high. The nation could erupt into insurrection or civil violence, crack up geographically, or succumb to authoritarian rule.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

By crack up geographically does he means the mountains will laugh?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

PupsOfWar posted:

not german nazis, the american kind that preppers and whatnot read

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/08/us/politics/bannon-fourth-turning.html?mcubz=1

Oh yeah.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Atia is like Cersei with way more charisma.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Arcsquad12 posted:

Plus, donkey butt.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Word. I mean I got nothing but love for Lena Headey, but the writing she's working with just can't compete.

Also the bath scene beats the walk of shame any day of the week. :quagmire:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Nthing that Rome was amazing and the show ended far too soon.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/898600719309185024

This analogy so is tortured and misshapen that it'd make Ramsay Bolton cringe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

bloom posted:

Word. I mean I got nothing but love for Lena Headey, but the writing she's working with just can't compete.

Also the bath scene beats the walk of shame any day of the week. :quagmire:

Jaime is so dedicated to Cersei it's nuts he is going to kill Cersei

Lena, Nicolaj and Gwendoline are just fine as hell though

The bear pit scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUt6tpA2v-8

and the bath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBb3Q8VdYas

yikes