Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
By the way, my faith made wiki's article of the day, if anyone's interested in how we do things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

out of curiosity, what's the short response for romans 13 from an anarchist perspective? preferably one that's not just 'ignore Paul'

I dunno if historical-critical exegesis is considered "ignore Paul" or not, but Marcus Borg at least makes a pretty convincing argument that Romans 13 is Paul's pastoral concern and not a command to the Church in every situation. Namely, Paul was writing shortly after Nero came to power and instituted burdensome taxes, but well before the Neronian persecutions. Add that to the fact that Judea was not too happy with Rome at the moment (they'd be in open rebellion within ten years due to a string of really poo poo governors) and Borg concludes that there must have been a fomenting tension between the Jewish Christians, who sympathized with their brothers in Judea, and the gentiles in the Roman church.

So Paul tries to calm everyone down to prevent a schism; put in the broader context of Romans as a whole, he reminds all the listeners that they're actually Christians now throughout the whole epistle; Jews and Gentiles alike are in the same boat.

When viewed in its historical context it's less about obedience to government in all times and in all places and more about the unity of all Christians. Why Paul didn't say "yeah you all should be mad, Judea is a hot mess right now, gently caress that Nero guy" would be a good follow-up question for discussion, I guess.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Is catholicism like orthodoxy in that you can just say some nonsense latin and end a theological debate like how you can end theological debates in orthodoxy by starting to speak in greek

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Roma Locuta Est, Causa Finita Est. Rome has spoken, the case is closed.

I use that on my mom. Works wonders.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Smoking Crow posted:

Is catholicism like orthodoxy in that you can just say some nonsense latin and end a theological debate like how you can end theological debates in orthodoxy by starting to speak in greek

It's referred to as motu proprio, thanks for asking.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I got into a talk with a couple of friends the other day about the patriarchs. As it usually does, it gets to Kirill vs Bartholomew. One of my friends said he doesn't like Bartholomew as well as Pope Francis because they tend to be really glib and vague in encyclicals instead of making definitive statements about the faith. He said that no hierarch should ever need his subordinates to explain his statements.

Is this true? I haven't read encyclicals from either of them. Is this a common criticism of them

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I've read them and liked them. I don't think Francis is any more vague than Jesus was.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Smoking Crow posted:

I got into a talk with a couple of friends the other day about the patriarchs. As it usually does, it gets to Kirill vs Bartholomew. One of my friends said he doesn't like Bartholomew as well as Pope Francis because they tend to be really glib and vague in encyclicals instead of making definitive statements about the faith. He said that no hierarch should ever need his subordinates to explain his statements.

Is this true? I haven't read encyclicals from either of them. Is this a common criticism of them

I've seen "Francis was too vague" comments from people on the right of the Catholic spectrum, usually about family and divorce issues, pretty commonly. Not about his encyclicals though, because the same group has to do theological cartwheels to continue to deny climate change despite Pope Francis' explicit use of the term and clear acceptance of the theory. (In their defense, they're right in that they don't have to believe something a Pope teaches if it is a matter of science.)

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
Though given that said Pope also has a degree in chemistry, they might want to give him a little more credit.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Bel_Canto posted:

Though given that said Pope also has a degree in chemistry, they might want to give him a little more credit.

A Master's at that!

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
to be fair chemistry and climate science are not the same thing and thinking knowing one means you know the other is the slope that led to neil degrasse tyson tweeting about how despite what the film back to the future would have you believe, we don't have time travel technology

also why steven hawking talks about how ai and aliens are gonna kill us all

Tias
May 25, 2008

and I have got to argue with loving physical engineer friends that the twin towers were not infused with nanothermite :eng99:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tias posted:

and I have got to argue with loving physical engineer friends that the twin towers were not infused with nanothermite :eng99:

Actually, they were. Reflective red paint uses iron oxide for a pigment and aluminum flake for sparkle and heat reflection. There you go - nanothermite.

It had nothing to do with any conspiracies, though, as such paint is widely used in every construction everywhere. It's also just paint - it poses no structural or flammability hazard. The fact that they found it in the WTC means nothing whatever.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
I think it's fair to say that Pope Francis has been deliberately vague about the issue of communion for divorcees; he seems content to let local bishops interpret AL for the faithful in their dioceses. That's in line with his pontificate being a mostly pastoral one, though, same with Pope John Paul II -- who was also controversial in some circles due to his shotgun approach to canonizations, but people seem to have mostly forgotten about that.

But both Pope Francis and Pope John Paul II are incredibly popular popes due to their pastoral approaches and both have done a lot of good for the Catholic Church's image worldwide. Pope Benedict XVI was a brilliant theologian and had a pretty conservative pontificate but he's also mostly remembered for looking like a Sith Lord.

Senju Kannon posted:

also why steven hawking talks about how ai and aliens are gonna kill us all

wow what a dumbass, everyone knows that the Jesuits have silently been replacing people with clones to form an army, that's what's gonna kill us, I saw it on worldstarhiphop and I have a STEM degree so I'm qualified to speak on the matter of a clone army

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

No opinions on Bartholomew I guess

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Different question i guess

The other day I said that converts of different races shouldn't be treated differently than cradle Orthodox and used Galatians 3 as my textual backing (you know the part). A reader came over and said that that's not what that section of scripture means. I then said that that was what the Antiochian Church used to anathematize those white supremacists a few years back. He said, well the Antiochian Archdiocese used it wrong too.

What does that section mean then

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Smoking Crow posted:

Different question i guess

The other day I said that converts of different races shouldn't be treated differently than cradle Orthodox and used Galatians 3 as my textual backing (you know the part). A reader came over and said that that's not what that section of scripture means. I then said that that was what the Antiochian Church used to anathematize those white supremacists a few years back. He said, well the Antiochian Archdiocese used it wrong too.

What does that section mean then

well they were condemned for phyletism, you'd have to see if the council of constantinople based their definition of that heresy on galatians 3 or what

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

HEY GAIL posted:

well they were condemned for phyletism, you'd have to see if the council of constantinople based their definition of that heresy on galatians 3 or what

But then what does that section mean then

What does neither jew nor greek, male nor female mean

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Smoking Crow posted:

i mean that's what i believe, i think that dude was full of poo poo and either a racist or a dumbass
but you've gotta ask him what he believes

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

That's certainly how the Assembly of Bishops uses it in their statement on Charlottesville.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Keromaru5 posted:

That's certainly how the Assembly of Bishops uses it in their statement on Charlottesville.

dassa good statement

if you're the sort of person who needs explicit rules, it's really lucky for us that racism is explicitly heresy if you're orthododx

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Smoking Crow posted:

there's no other possible meaning to that section and anyone who claims to need it explained is being dishonest with you

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'll take good news where I can get it - a private Christian college in Florida known for expelling female students for premarital sex or adultery after they were raped has expelled a student identified as one of the neo-Nazi marchers in Charlottesville.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Just for reference, here's what the Orthodox Study Bible says about Galatians 3:28-29 (boldface theirs):

quote:

We share one human nature in Christ. Therefore, valuing people based on opinions and ethnicity (neither Jew nor Greek), pride and social status (neither slave nor free), or gender (neither male nor female) has no place in the Church. All are one in nature, and so all are equal in dignity.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Alright, so I haven't been posting in a while and now I'm gonna do a big comeback post now that I've charged up the posting crystals. HERE'S WHY I HAVEN'T BEEN POSTING:

I have bipolar I with psychosis. Last year, after getting beset with setback after setback some of which were my fault (my gpa is too poo poo for grad school because I was off-meds for most of my college career even though multiple professors have recommended me to go) and some of which weren't (I was stricken with severe back pain for most of last year) I got put on a new medication because I couldn't sleep, and I was cycling again. Turns out, it's a bad medication. I start to feel really suicidal and disconnected from everyone after taking it. I had trouble keeping jobs because I couldn't concentrate. After a while, I finally decided I was going to hang myself.

Thankfully, I told my psychiatrist and made me go. Well, she didn't really force me but we decided it was in my best interest. Still probably can't buy a gun in the state of Ohio though. Anyway, I went to the hospital and they took me off the medicine and put me on lithium.

The hospital stay was loving awful. I only spoke to my doctor and social worked the day I left. The worst part came when I left. They couldn't get my blood/lithium levels up to par so they decided to just double what I was taking and send me out without testing my blood. I left the hospital and I immediately started getting the shakes and vomiting all the time. I was extremely angry all the time as well. I called my psychiatrist and she said I had lithium toxicity and had to stop. I could have lost a kidney.

Once I left the real fun started. It took me a couple weeks to get over the toxicity. During that time, I lost my job because I wasn't showing up to work enough and they didn't think I was reliable enough to be on a new project. I also lost all my money due to a combination of hospital bills and having to pull all my food and rent/utilities out of savings. On top of that, my lease ran out and I didn't have a place to stay because of no job/no money. That's why I said I was homeless. I'm staying with relatives now, so don't worry about me.

It was awful. For a lot of it I thought God was cursing me. A lot of times I wondered if I had done something wrong to provoke God's wrath. Now I realize I was stupid; I was just on a bad medicine.

Anyway Jesus tax: I think I learned a lot from this. As I've told friends, I have no money, no home, no job; all I have now is perspective. The main thing I took from this is: GO TO CHURCH DUMMY! I didn't go to church a lot of times because I didn't want to interact with anyone. I realize now that if I had talked to my friends and priest more, I probably would have figured out why I was so depressed earlier.

I don't know if I'll stay Orthodox. The family I'm staying with are heavily Catholic, and I think I will go to mass with them. I'm going to be honest with you, I believe I joined the Orthodox Church while in a manic episode. I was definitely not of sound mind until I was 22, a year after I joined the Church. At the same time, the good feelings brain juice got replaced with normal juice and I just felt really separated from the church, like I wasn't enjoying it. I enjoy learning about the faith, but only from a pure academic standpoint. I don't feel much spiritual connection to it. Plus, I've always felt a bit lesser than everyone else because my family is English and Scottish on both sides. Nary a hint of anyone east of the channel. Not Slavic is what I'm saying. Definitely not Greek or Syrian either. I always felt like an interloper because my name doesn't end in -vic.

Anyway, I'm going to mass tomorrow. Please pray for me, if you have time. Sorry for the wall of text. Sorry Orthodox for the whole Catholic thing. Who knows, I might still be Orthodox after all. I'll keep y'all posted

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 20, 2017

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

:glomp:

May the love of God go with you, brother. Heal and grow.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Smoking Crow posted:

Anyway, I'm going to mass tomorrow. Please pray for me, if you have time. Sorry for the wall of text. Sorry Orthodox for the whole Catholic thing. Who knows, I might still be Orthodox after all. I'll keep y'all posted

Praying for you. It doesn't matter whether you end up Orthodox, Catholic, or whatever, what's important is you're healthy and back on track!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I'm walking right beside you, brother, I know the struggle. You are strong and God is even stronger. We are with God and even more God is with us.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
God doesn't care what liturgy you do or don't do in church, or what language the priest or pastor speaks. Do what works for you, and God will take care of the rest.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Writing it out, I still can't believe they misdosed my lithium

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Writing it out, I still can't believe they misdosed my lithium

ESPECIALLY because lithium is supposed to be one of the safer medications!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I would encourage you to attend church and other social functions with your family that is hosting you, and friends etc in the future. I don't know you, but personally I'm an introvert and asocial at times, and it's bit me in the rear end a few times in terms of career, romance, friendships etc. Try to do something outside your home twice a week (at least), even if you have to force yourself. In my experience it's an effort and a chore to be social for several hours, but the payoff ends up being totally worth it.

Anyway I'm not a psychiatrist or counselor, that's just my two cents.

edit: I should say I'm a very social introvert. I can be chatty, sociable, and charming but it takes effort and I'd rather read a book or be on the internet (HEY GAL has hung out with me a bit and can attest). It turns out social interaction is really important and good once you get over the anxiety, though!

e2: I realize my equating church with social interaction is likely extremely Midwestern.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 20, 2017

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Try to do something outside your home twice a week (at least), even if you have to force yourself.
Anyway I'm not a psychiatrist or counselor, that's just my two cents.

This is actually the exact advice my Dr gave me. He even told me if my sister had a job interview, drive her there just to get out of the house.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Thirteen Orphans posted:

This is actually the exact advice my Dr gave me. He even told me if my sister had a job interview, drive her there just to get out of the house.

@ Smoking Crow and Thirteen Orphans

Do it my man. Go out and do social things.

You know how you sleep better after exercising? Same goes for socializing. It can seem like a huge chore to go out and do something with people, but you'll end up enjoying yourself and having so much better "me time" when you're back home and alone.

I would encourage you to set a goal for the next month to do something sociable, preferably outside of your family, twice a week. Push yourself towards that, and evaluate how you feel after a month. Church stuff, clubs, organizations, whatever.

We here in the dead gay internet forum Christianity thread will always be supportive of you, God speed! :)

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Everything everyone's saying is true. Having quit Citalopram last Fall, only to go back on in Spring after almost mistaking depression for a call to monasticism, I'll be praying for you.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thirteen Orphans posted:

that's a pretty big if lmao

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Peace be with you, Smoking Crow. I love you.

If the Lord's victory is also your victory, then your victory is already assured.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I'm feeling you, Smoking Crow. Mate of mine forgot his Lithium for one day last week, and that was really not pretty.

There are literally thousands of christian sects, and I doubt God has elected just one of them to be the only proper way to worship. Keep your mind on constructive worries, if you must worry.

I'll pray for you, hang in there!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
God bless you, Crow. We're all with you.

Misdoses or even just giving someone the wrong meds are more common than people not involved in the health care thing think--when my mother's father was dying they gave him the entirely wrong meds once and he hallucinated for a whole day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

Tias posted:

By the way, my faith made wiki's article of the day, if anyone's interested in how we do things!

Is Heathenry considered Christian at all? How did you find this faith?

• Locked thread