Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Yeah, I have a friend who had a negative opinion of Twin Peaks in general and he told me he's only seen FWWM and he thought it made no sense. He was very confused by it. I explained that you really won't understand the movie without watching the entire show first; the movie kind of assumes that you've watched the show and doesn't explain anything that was already explained by the show. Kind of like how season three assumes you've seen all of seasons one and two AND FWWM.

He says he'll give the show a chance soon with that in mind but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

For more on just how virulently hated Fire Walk With Me really was at the time of its release, watch this brief Kermode intro to the film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrpAyb438Sc

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

OK, just watching videos I want to share this story from the (deservedly disliked) Michael J. Anderson, but it's still a goddamn AMAZING story about a scene from FWWM involving a very important prop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtD_RlYu__I&t=773s

:tinfoil: ELECTRICITY:tinfoil:

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's actually the opposite since it's Cooper's body, but his mind that needs to come back.

Ah yes, good point. It's a cool inversion of Kafka in that case.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Slum Village posted:

This explains the fan reaction, but not necessarily critics, many of whom I imagine had not seen the series. Then again, not having seen the series introduces some problems in understanding the film, so maybe that's it. It pleased no one.

Many scenes were inexplicable to most people (convenience store, the Dale Cooper / Philip Jefferies stuff) and seemed to most people, hell even me when I first saw it, as weird self-indulgent nonsense. What does one make of such things as "This table top is made of Formica"?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I'm still not a HUGE FWWM fan. I'd definitely call it one of the worst Lynch movies I've seen, but his career overall being to such a high standard doesn't help there.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I liked FWWM more than the original series when I first saw it and I'm very happy this new season is closer to it in tone.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I liked FWWM more than the original series when I first saw it and I'm very happy this new season is closer to it in tone.

Same here, and I think the new season is the culmination of all of it.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I think FWWM benefits significantly from Q2 fan cut, and I place it up there with his best. One day I'll watch the theatrical cut but I need rewatch Muholland Drive first. It's been a decade since I have.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
FWWM has a lot of imagery that I love, but I'm not really into sitting down and watching it in full. I actually love the Deer Meadow parts, probably more than the Laura stuff.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Zmej posted:

I think FWWM benefits significantly from Q2 fan cut, and I place it up there with his best. One day I'll watch the theatrical cut but I need rewatch Muholland Drive first. It's been a decade since I have.

You watched the fan cut without watching the original? :psyduck:

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

tap my mountain posted:

You watched the fan cut without watching the original? :psyduck:
Yea, I had no interest in watching the theatrical cut then the missing pieces, or watching the movie twice. I just wanted to be efficient with my time lol. I heard good things about the fancut and I enjoyed it just fine.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Zmej posted:

Yea, I had no interest in watching the theatrical cut then the missing pieces, or watching the movie twice. I just wanted to be efficient with my time lol. I heard good things about the fancut and I enjoyed it just fine.

I did the same thing.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Cromulent posted:

FWWM has a lot of imagery that I love, but I'm not really into sitting down and watching it in full. I actually love the Deer Meadow parts, probably more than the Laura stuff.

That's basically how I feel. I loved how it started up until the Laura stuff started. Maybe it would have been ok, but I had enough of the Laura Palmer murder story after seeing the series.

I think the whole thing is better now though that we're getting the continuation of the story.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 19, 2017

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I have a friend who has never seen Twin Peaks but LOVES the movie. :confused:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The fan cut sucks imo. It kills the pacing of the movie.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

The fan cut sucks imo. It kills the pacing of the movie.

the movie has no pacing lmao

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, it's cool if you've seen FWWM already and want to watch TMP the first time that way, but I prefer watching them separately. Horrible way to watch it the first time imo.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Basticle posted:

the movie has no pacing lmao

Maybe tension is a better word.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

idk I think it has a very specific pace and picks up in proper fashion after the stuff in Deer Meadow, which is a sort of calm before the storm while also easing you into the movie having a very different feel from the show.

But yeah, the tension is basically gone in the fan edit, and messing with the pace of the Laura stuff is bad form imho.

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

Zmej posted:

God bless, thank you for this.

Bless you for watching

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008
FWWM isn't about Twin Peaks, its about Laura. The only Missing Pieces that could be placed back in the story are the ones directly related to Laura's plot. Possibly the extended convenience store bit, but I kind of like how vague the original scene is. The extended versions explains too much, but would work if the movie went into the story of Bob and Mike like it was originally planned. Laura is the one.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

FWWM with all the extra stuff added in is exactly like Season 3, so I wouldn't get all hung up on how it ruins pacing unless you're really considering it a stand-alone film, which I don't think it works as. I'd consider it more of connective tissue between Season 2 and 3 where the tone shifts and Lynch introduces new lore elements like the ring, power line pole, time trickery with Laura's diary, and Phillip Jeffries.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I love this man. He also has the perfect weird voice that matches the type of poo poo he makes.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

kaworu posted:

"living above a convenience store" It always stuck with my because it's such an oddly creepy, Lynchian image.

I think I love this comic. :allears:

edit: Holy poo poo

And More fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 19, 2017

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Why is not-Cooper such a fattie

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
A lot of my friends have experienced sexual assault and having listened to and supported them through their own stories, FWWM is an intensely powerful movie. Maybe it's not Lynch's best work, but it's about the most emotional true depiction of domestic abuse ever put on screen and some of my friends have said they watching it was like a year of therapy.

Watching it with the cut stuff added back on really dilutes that impact and I think it's important they FWWM is separate, a story about Laura and only Laura.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I wanted to mention the impact the movie has had on survives of abuse and rape, but couldn't think of the best words, so thank you.

Also agreed 1000% on the importance of watching Fire Walk With Me as a focused look at Laura's last week alive. The TMP stuff really fucks with that when added back in.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The conversation with Pete about the 2x4s in The Missing Pieces is one of my favorite comedy bits in all of Twin Peaks but it really has no place at all in Laura's story.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

A lot of my friends have experienced sexual assault and having listened to and supported them through their own stories, FWWM is an intensely powerful movie. Maybe it's not Lynch's best work, but it's about the most emotional true depiction of domestic abuse ever put on screen and some of my friends have said they watching it was like a year of therapy.

Watching it with the cut stuff added back on really dilutes that impact and I think it's important they FWWM is separate, a story about Laura and only Laura.

I just want to Nth this, because I'm like one of those friends of yours and the reason why I became so attached to the mythology of Twin Peaks was as much because of Laura's journey and Sheryl Lee's intensely amazing portrayal of Laura Palmer in FWWM. I loved the series, of course, but FWWM is probably my favorite film of all time depending on the day, and that's never going to change. It makes me hurt when I hear that people just watch the fan edits now, even though I did appreciate the extra footage a great deal, of course.

To be honest, my original read on all the "mythology" of Twin Peaks was that all of the mythology was created by Laura as a coping mechanism in a sense, the persona of Bob and the concept of "becoming like bob or dying" actually being more like a choice she creates for herself with her increasingly self-destructive life and unsustainable contradictions in all the layers of lies she's had to tell herself and others. Something like that. We have evidence that it was more than this, but I felt like Laura maybe had such a powerful psyche that she manifested these real monsters out of the intensity of her pain. That rang true with me, in a way. Hard to continue thinking that after Episode 8, in a way, though. Who knows.

I actually would love it if season 3 doubled back on this somehow. We know Laura is important and that has been underscored, but the tragedy that was her life remains something largely silent this season, for whatever reason. I would like it if Lynch tied it all together some classic free-associative Lynchian fashion, I'm sure he will :cool:

Basically, I'm saying that Ray Wise and Sheryl Lee ARE a part of the cast and I'm fairly certain he didn't bring each of them back for that one scene in the second episode. At least, I hope not - it would be a criminal waste of two very good actors, on a basic level.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 19, 2017

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm wrapping up a baby shower for my first child and we had a "design a onesie" station. My way-too-talented Twin Peaks buddy made this:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm wrapping up a baby shower for my first child and we had a "design a onesie" station. My way-too-talented Twin Peaks buddy made this:

I spaced out for a second and I thought this was a shirt for a man

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A drat fine onesie.

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013

kaworu posted:

To be honest, my original read on all the "mythology" of Twin Peaks was that all of the mythology was created by Laura as a coping mechanism in a sense, the persona of Bob and the concept of "becoming like bob or dying" actually being more like a choice she creates for herself with her increasingly self-destructive life and unsustainable contradictions in all the layers of lies she's had to tell herself and others.

This is how I interpret Twin Peaks and pretty much any fiction that contains supernatural elements.. It's all symbolic representations of the characters' or the creator's Too Real experience.. Sometimes you need fanciful interpretation to cope with the Evil That Men Do. We all know there are no inter-dimensional forces guiding the hands of men-- Incest, rape, murder, they're all things we do, that we invented, and the blame can't be placed anywhere else. But we can try to understand those evils through symbolic interpretation. Lynch's work has a LOT of sexual violence in it, but it's never exploitative. Laura's portrayal as a Victim is sincere and important throughout, and that's pretty righteous.

Keep on keepin' on, Kaworu. :thumbsup:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
david lynch films do a really good job of making me feel incredibly anxious and it's something that other movies have never given me. FWWM is really good and the music that plays over the intro credits is easily one of my favourite themes from any movie soundtrack. windswept by johnny jewel gives me the same feeling

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

strap on revenge posted:

david lynch films do a really good job of making me feel incredibly anxious and it's something that other movies have never given me. FWWM is really good and the music that plays over the intro credits is easily one of my favourite themes from any movie soundtrack. windswept by johnny jewel gives me the same feeling

Windswept is awesome. I listen to that at work a lot. Nothing like some depressing Lynch music while I'm sending emails.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
This show has made me into a huge fan of the Chromatics and Johnny Jewel. I loved "Shadow" and "Windswept," and that led me deeper into their back catalogue (since Jewel is a member of the Chromatics too). His label, Italians Do It Better, has tons of great music, mostly involving him, and the vast majority is REALLY cheap. I'm talking $1 album downloads and $3 CDs. I suspect it would appeal to most of you.

http://italiansdoitbetter.bigcartel.com/

And I'm sure this link has already been posted several dozens of pages back, but I doubt everyone saw it the first time.

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013
Windswept is incredible and I've had multiple workdays spent listening to it on repeat.. If I'm not wrong that was the music playing in that end-of-episode scene where Coop is sadly admiring the lawman statue's shoes?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The fan cut of FWWM was the first version I watched and I wouldn't trade it for the world - mainly due to the Bowie scene (because the one in the theatrical cut loving blows) and for the scene where Laura stares into the fan and slowly starts smiling super creepily, which honestly might be my favourite shot in the whole film.

Anyway I like the film a lot, I can see why people were divided on it because it's so different from the show but in light of Return I think it gets even stronger in hindsight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

The fan cut of FWWM was the first version I watched and I wouldn't trade it for the world - mainly due to the Bowie scene (because the one in the theatrical cut loving blows) and for the scene where Laura stares into the fan and slowly starts smiling super creepily, which honestly might be my favourite shot in the whole film.
Dang, I didn't know the fan-stare scene was a Missing Piece. That shot injects more intensity into the movie so well. It's like a turning point, when the anxiety and tension ramps up into this unadulterated horror and chaos. I think it adds another layer to Laura Palmer's psyche and darkness.