Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Gonz posted:

I just hope Obi-Wan's standlone movie will explain why he decided to keep his surname while Vader & Pals were hunting for a Jedi named Kenobi.

Probably the same reason Luke kept his dad's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gonz posted:

I just hope Obi-Wan's standlone movie will explain why he decided to keep his surname while Vader & Pals were hunting for a Jedi named Kenobi.

Its like Antilles, its the Johnson of Star Wars

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Barudak posted:

Its like Antilles, its the Johnson of Star Wars

This makes the most sense.

homullus posted:

Probably the same reason Luke kept his dad's.

The Imperials truly were the Keystone Kops of the galaxy.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

A pity most movies are bombastic while the more focused character moments are for books, comics and TV

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

I'm so sick of imaginative space operas showing me a wide variety of visually and thematically disparate places, ugh

I wasn't really citing it as a negative. My favorite Star Wars films are the ones with the most imaginative locations. I just think it'd be an interesting tonal shift appropriate for one of these anthology movies. Especially after the dreck of Rogue One which included like 35 planets.

Neo Rasa posted:

ANH - Tatooine, Yavin IV
ESB - Hoth, Dagobah
RotJ - Tatooine, Sanctuary Moon
TPM - Naboo, Tatooine, Coruscant
ATC - Coruscant, Tatooine, Kamino, Naboo, Geonosis
RTS - Utapau, Kashyyyk, Coruscant, Mustafar, Alderaan, that montage of a bunch of Jedi getting killed on different worlds
TFA - Jakku, Takodana, Ahch-To, Starkiller Base is still a "planet" despite some modifications
R1 - Lah-Mu, Wobani, Yavin IV, Jedha, Eadu, Mustafar, Scarif

You forgot the best one of all- Bespin. Also the Death Star definitely counts as a planet, especially in ANH.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 17, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If macgregor is cast I hope they turn it into a musical .

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

The MSJ posted:

Played by Dwayne Johnson.

IT'S YODAAAA TIIIIIIME!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gonz posted:

The Imperials truly were the Keystone Kops of the galaxy.

Theres nothing indicating Luke has any real form of ID and hes in a hella backwater farming community on a planet where other people are named Skywalker, plus nobody even knows what Vaders last name is or that he had children so theres nobody whose even going to know what to look for and what would and wouldnt be worth eleveating to Vaders intention.

Like, imagine the force choking your going to get if you find out all this info begind his back and then show up with the wrong guy.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vinylshadow posted:

I'm more interested in the fact they're considering a Yoda film

Here's hoping it takes place 600 years before the Prequels instead of him screwing around on a swamp ball for two hours

:getin:

[edit] Aww, the image was already posted. Whatever.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Barudak posted:

Young, long haired, perpetually stoned out of his gourd yoda who barely takes his job seriously would rule.

But that's his ESB character.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gonz posted:

They should scrap that poo poo and make a Vader movie about him hunting down the last of the Jedi.

It's a knock off of Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World. Palpatine is Ramona.

Clearly.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gonz posted:

Taintrunner posted:

They should scrap that poo poo and make a Vader movie about him hunting down the last of the Jedi.

For maximum nerd rage they could do both. Have Vader aware of Kenobi being on Tatooine but he leaves him alone because on some level there's still good in him and they on rare occasion keep in touch. "I wanted my son to have my old lightsaber when he was old enough..." Canonize that they kinda sorta almost want to work together to covertly manipulate poo poo and destroy the Emperor so that they can accomplish the revenge of the Jedi but then Vader gives up for reasons/goes totally bad.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Obi-Wan's plan was for Vader to come to Tatooine and then they'd have their rematch. Luke kept his grandmother's surname because he was bait. But it turns out Vader still hates sand, so he never showed up, and that's when Obi-Wan improvised Plan B, which was to radicalize Luke and turn him into a weapon aimed at the Emperor at the cost of his own life.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Thanks to this video I never need to see another star war ever again.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

euphronius posted:

If macgregor is cast I hope they turn it into a musical .
Just retcon Obi-Wan's pre-Phantom Menace backstory into being Moulin Rouge!.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Raxivace posted:

Just retcon Obi-Wan's pre-Phantom Menace backstory into being Moulin Rouge!.
I mean, according to Clone Wars he was involved with a woman named Satine.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

G-III posted:

Thanks to this video I never need to see another star war ever again.

I'm glad someone else appreciated that incredibly stupid video as much as I did.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Ewwwwwwwww

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yoda's a dumbass.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yoda's a dumbass.

600 years death stick you smoke, think clearly you will not

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm very curious to see if Mcgregor would be interested in coming back to the role. His career is fine but at the same time he's not exactly lighting the world on fire, and this would be a major payday.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

I'm very curious to see if Mcgregor would be interested in coming back to the role. His career is fine but at the same time he's not exactly lighting the world on fire, and this would be a major payday.

He has said he would love to do be Obi Wan again.

He even had a voice cameo in The Force Awakens.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Rumour has it that he showed up on his motorbike, charmed everyone, crushed the line in one take and refused payment before riding off into the sunset.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

well why not posted:

Rumour has it that he showed up on his motorbike, charmed everyone, crushed the line in one take and refused payment before riding off into the sunset.

Part of that comes from a direct quote from JJ Abrams.

JJ Abrams posted:

“Here’s the cool part. We asked Ewan McGregor to come in and do the line. And he was awesome and we were very grateful. He was incredibly sweet and handsome, and all that stuff. Then he rode off on his motorcycle. Literally the coolest voice over actor ever.”

Well, not the refusing payment part.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

As I recall, they recorded the line, but the final cut of the film ended up using some spliced-together Alec Guinness audio from A New Hope.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Bongo Bill posted:

As I recall, they recorded the line, but the final cut of the film ended up using some spliced-together Alec Guinness audio from A New Hope.

From what I remember, the line is "Rey, you have taken your first step" and "Rey" is from a chopped up Guinness line (I think they cut up the word "Afraid") and the rest is McGregor.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
That's correct.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
If they don't get Ewan McGregor for this dumb movie then that just seems like they're trying too hard to distance themselves from those awful prequels. Ewan is a fine actor.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Judakel posted:

If they don't get Ewan McGregor for this dumb movie then that just seems like they're trying too hard to distance themselves from those awful prequels. Ewan is a fine actor.

They should solidify the links to the prequels to make it easier to sell the inevitable blu ray(or more likely digital) 12 film mega pack. A Ewan McGregor Obi-Wan movie would own. That sounds much cooler than an Obi-Wan origin story with a new actor.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Judakel posted:

They brought back Jimmy Smitts I can't think of a reason Ewan wouldn't be back other than some kind of scheduling conflict.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Spacebump posted:

They should solidify the links to the prequels to make it easier to sell the inevitable blu ray(or more likely digital) 12 film mega pack. A Ewan McGregor Obi-Wan movie would own. That sounds much cooler than an Obi-Wan origin story with a new actor.

They'll cast Cumberbatch and the Internet will lose its poo poo.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Timby posted:

And the director will insist he isn't playing Kenobi but then it turns out he is.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Timby posted:

I hope they cast Michael B Jordan. At least 25% of Americans heads will explode.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

In addition to Han Solo, Obi-Wan and Boba Fett, Variety says that a standalone movie about Jabba is in development, as well. :stare:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Imagine if Scarface stars a giant slug, and the ending is all his enemies are the one floating dead instead (in a pot, and then Scarface eats them all).

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Timby posted:

In addition to Han Solo, Obi-Wan and Boba Fett, Variety says that a standalone movie about Jabba is in development, as well. :stare:

I'm only interested if they keep the stupid Episode 6 gag(?) where he sneaks up on people, battles to the death, and so-on - all while maintaining the same 'lounging on his side' pose.

Like make the entire film about the filmmakers having to shoot around the fact that he's a rigid statue. Co-starring the Fuccons.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

lmfao Disney is really going to milk origin stories for every star wars character

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RedSpider posted:

lmfao Disney is really going to milk origin stories for every star wars character

Jar Jar Binks wont get one despite that actually being a plot point in the films and him being a wacky goofball

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

RedSpider posted:

Capitalist hegemony is the greatest monkeys paw of all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Barudak posted:

Jar Jar Binks wont get one despite that actually being a plot point in the films and him being a wacky goofball
At least the later episodes of TCW gave the gungans a sorely-needed reputation boost

And the Mace Windu/Jar Jar teamup in Season 6 was pretty fun

• Locked thread