Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't know anything about Dark Eye, apart from the fact that it's a reprint of Germany's #1 fantasy RPG.

I picked it up to see how it is. Beautiful book, and interesting world for pretty basic fantasy, but the skill system is mind blindingly bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I picked it up to see how it is. Beautiful book, and interesting world for pretty basic fantasy, but the skill system is mind blindingly bad.

It is brutally fiddly, that's for sure. I've read the rules, but I've never played them. I had basically the opposite reaction to yours, though. I thought the skill system was interesting, but I thought that the setting was pretty basic for fantasy. It's Golarion or Abeir-Toril through a German lens (i.e., the designers have heard of the Thirty Years' War). "The North" is a cool and good North, and the middle latitudes have a few good Ruritanias, but the South is orientalist crapola. The skills, meanwhile, and I've never run or played it, mind, but they seem to me as though they accomplish the goal of inflicting MAD on every character class as a means to enforce the low-fantasy setting. Also the chargen is next-level brutal. Skill rolls are not simple, though, for sure.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I felt like it made for a good CRPG system solely because it was so utterly alien compared to what we are accustomed to otherwise that it actually made the entire game feel different (for better or worse, of course). Though yeah the system itself is pretty much the definition of "janky" overall.

I hope the attention on this new English edition means that my ~2009 American release is now magically valuable. Probably not.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

some loving LIAR posted:

It is brutally fiddly, that's for sure. I've read the rules, but I've never played them. I had basically the opposite reaction to yours, though. I thought the skill system was interesting, but I thought that the setting was pretty basic for fantasy. It's Golarion or Abeir-Toril through a German lens (i.e., the designers have heard of the Thirty Years' War). "The North" is a cool and good North, and the middle latitudes have a few good Ruritanias, but the South is orientalist crapola. The skills, meanwhile, and I've never run or played it, mind, but they seem to me as though they accomplish the goal of inflicting MAD on every character class as a means to enforce the low-fantasy setting. Also the chargen is next-level brutal. Skill rolls are not simple, though, for sure.

Oh yeah, the setting isn't breaking new ground for sure. But if you consider the age of it I think it compares pretty favorably with its contemporaries. One thing about character creation is that all the race stuff is all strong suggestions so you can ignore all the Dwarven bonuses and penalties if you want, which is different.

All the skills requiring that you roll under three different stats, and your skill being a pool of points you use to modify those rolls is... Something.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

S.J. posted:

Are these games any good?

Torg is functionally Rifts if Kevin Siembieda wasn't involved but it still committed just about every other capital sin of Rifts. Eternity apparently cleaned stuff up a bit but it's still about the same. The Dark Eye is exactly what you'd imagine if someone described a "fantasy RPG designed by Germans in the mid 80s" to you.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Eternity apparently cleaned stuff up a bit but it's still about the same. The Dark Eye is exactly what you'd imagine if someone described a "fantasy RPG designed by Germans in the mid 80s" to you.
So Earthdawn with less magic, more tables, more nihilism, and a very grimy aesthetic?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

Torg is functionally Rifts if Kevin Siembieda wasn't involved but it still committed just about every other capital sin of Rifts. Eternity apparently cleaned stuff up a bit but it's still about the same. The Dark Eye is exactly what you'd imagine if someone described a "fantasy RPG designed by Germans in the mid 80s" to you.

So a game where the whole thing follows a regimented timetable and my only interactions with the GM are showing him my papers?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Comrade Gorbash posted:

So Earthdawn with less magic, more tables, more nihilism, and a very grimy aesthetic?

yes, yes, no, no

I mean look at this :kimchi: as heck amateur cosplay, the hair especially is just awesome on all the Ugurcan covers

http://nandurion.de/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/DSA2-Abenteuer-Basis-Spiel-Helden-Cover.jpg

http://nandurion.de/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Die-Schicksalsklinge-1992-Cover-Ugurcan-Y%C3%BCce.jpg

Look at the big guys in this:

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_Md9g9XAAEZiUv.jpg

THOSE ARE OGRES!!!

Goa Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 14, 2017

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
To be fair, if this was back when DSA was still using Runequest/BRP as a base system, 'handsome as gently caress ogres' were the default. (Apparently based on a Cornish legend?)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

It's grimy in the "grr! arrgh! We're doing D&D combat but better!" way, but not to the point of nihilism.

Barudak posted:

So a game where the whole thing follows a regimented timetable and my only interactions with the GM are showing him my papers?

I guess so, if you follow the metaplot that flows continuously through the editions from the 1980s to the present. Your GM actions will certainly be limited by the prewritten adventures.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
"More Than 1000 Ogres" is such a German title for an adventure.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Jimbozig posted:

"More Than 1000 Ogres" is such a German title for an adventure.

it's probably the best adventure of all time*, the final assault turns into a literal fantasy wargame with its own rules, a hexmap, and counters and poo poo

*when you're 13

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Look at the big guys in this:

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_Md9g9XAAEZiUv.jpg

THOSE ARE OGRES!!!
That's more a result of the instructions to Ugurcan didn't really get instructed on how DSA ogres look (fat, unkempt).

Just like they didn't explain to him how orcs have fur all over their body and are not just mongols with greenish-brown skin.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

unseenlibrarian posted:

To be fair, if this was back when DSA was still using Runequest/BRP as a base system, 'handsome as gently caress ogres' were the default. (Apparently based on a Cornish legend?)
Ogres in Glorantha are attractive, charming, charismatic - and also cannibalistic chaos monsters.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Frazetta ogres are now canon for my homebrew campaign.

That campaign now has the following features:

* Frazetta ogres

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

FMguru posted:

Ogres in Glorantha are attractive, charming, charismatic - and also cannibalistic chaos monsters.

My favorite fantasy setting by far. I've only run one session in it but it was glorious and easy.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

FMguru posted:

I'm aware! It's just that the description entry for them in multiple editions of Runequest mentions 'inspired by Cornish Ogres' and I've never actually been able to track down the cornish Ogres it's referencing.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

unseenlibrarian posted:

I'm aware! It's just that the description entry for them in multiple editions of Runequest mentions 'inspired by Cornish Ogres' and I've never actually been able to track down the cornish Ogres it's referencing.

I think it's these guys.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Apparently Blood in the Chocolate won the Ennie for best adventure, and now I have to explain to my friends what Blood in the Chocolate is.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, I think so. I talked to him yesterday about it, he said it'll use a new d6-based system that'll be faster and unrelated to older versions.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Tales from the Loop cleaned up at the Ennies which is awesome, because Tales from the Loop is awesome.

Any game based on this guys art had to do well.

http://www.simonstalenhag.se/

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 19, 2017

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Honestly, I'm not at all surprised about BitC winning, given the history of brigading in parts of the OSR community. What's baffling is how it got nominated in the first place.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Haystack posted:

Honestly, I'm not at all surprised about BitC winning, given the history of brigading in parts of the OSR community. What's baffling is how it got nominated in the first place.

Some community leader got really horny after reading it? Barely adapting a very popular movie plus more horror isn't exactly groundbreaking.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Haystack posted:

An OSR guy was voted into the judge's panel because judge spots are won by public vote, the judges pick the products from public submissions, and the public votes on the nominees.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, at the end of the day that's what's wrong with the Ennies: it's just a flat-out popularity contest. Quality isn't measured, probably because gamers will argue that "quality is relative" or "you can't say a game is actually bad" until they're blue in the face.

I actually saw someone saying RPGs were useless a few days ago because "fun is relative".

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
All awards are popularity contests. If they weren't, they'd be called "reviews." :v:

Their usefulness is primarily to the population their popularity represents, and we obviously aren't that with respect to the Ennies.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

All awards are popularity contests. If they weren't, they'd be called "reviews." :v:

Their usefulness is primarily to the population their popularity represents, and we obviously aren't that with respect to the Ennies.
There's also the fact that at no point does anyone have to say why something was nominated or won. What makes BitC the best adventure of the year, let alone the best product? What puts it above everything else?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Evil Mastermind posted:

There's also the fact that at no point does anyone have to say why something was nominated or won. What makes BitC the best adventure of the year, let alone the best product? What puts it above everything else?

That fact that swollen blue women get raped 1d6 times through the adventure?

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Tales from the Loop cleaned up at the Ennies which is awesome, because Tales from the Loop is awesome.

Any game based on this guys art had to do well.

http://www.simonstalenhag.se/

At first, I thought someone made a Miss Peregrine's series RPG. It looks more like stranger things, which still sounds really cool.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
It's worth remembering that most of the problems with the ENnies are more features than bugs. The point is supposed to be that everything is chosen by the fans: they vote for judges who will represent their interests, the judges come up with the nominations, then fans vote. Fans sometimes vote for big name publishers for its own sake and it's really susceptible to Sad Puppies-style brigading (vote in a friend as a judge, they push to nominate your games, you vote for them as a bloc) but it's hard to change the formula without removing the whole fan empowerment thing they're supposed to be about. (It's also harder to stack the deck as much as the Puppies, because you'd have to produce enough material to dominate a category and somehow fill all the judge spots with your mates, so there's that.)

One change I'd like to see is feedback. A while ago I submitted Breakfast Cult to a bunch of award places and I got really positive feedback from one of them—at least some of the judges even went through a session first, which is above and beyond what I expected. The judges of the others could have just added the PDF to their collection and not read it for all I know. It would probably be really hard to give feedback for every single nomination (and someone more likely to get bad feedback from strangers would probably disagree with me here :smug:) but a man can dream.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Really, as much as I want the game industry to pay professional editors and technical writers, I'd be glad if some game writers would even accept honest feedback. So many of them are so drat sensitive and/or arrogant they seem to think they don't need it.

So having award-givers also offering "official" feedback might penetrate some few would-be aspirants as to their fixing points. It might not of course, the number of stories I've heard about authors going apeshit at publishers or editors who rejected them is just obscene.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

occamsnailfile posted:

Really, as much as I want the game industry to pay professional editors and technical writers, I'd be glad if some game writers would even accept honest feedback. So many of them are so drat sensitive and/or arrogant they seem to think they don't need it.

So having award-givers also offering "official" feedback might penetrate some few would-be aspirants as to their fixing points. It might not of course, the number of stories I've heard about authors going apeshit at publishers or editors who rejected them is just obscene.

Maybe it's because my day job is in advertising but I just do not understand that attitude at all. I submit game writing expecting extensive feedback from editors, and if I don't get it, my first thought is "i hosed that up so bad they don't even want to bother with revisions." Even now after several times writing for Eclipse Phase I still think that if Posthuman doesn't give me much feedback.

For writers who think like this: you're not that good. No one is. That's why editors exist.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I mostly write investment memos with an intended audience of fewer than 20 people, and I crave people's feedback on form and substance as I put it together. I really don't get the attitude that admitting imperfection is worse than shipping a worse product.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
It's just... dumb. Two of my writing rules which have helped me personally and professionally are that 1) everything you write is a chance to improve, and 2) every piece of feedback you receive is a chance to learn. Sure there's bad feedback, but part of being a professional writer is learning to identify that vs. good feedback and using it to learn and improve your craft.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Even feedback that I don't agree with or incorporate adds to my understanding of how an audience might receive my future writings!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Y'all talking this way about writing and feedback is very similar to how I feel about feedback on my coding. I guess pretty much every profession is like this, though.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
On one of the first freelance fiction projects I did, the editor took the time to write me afterwards and thank me for being so flexible and professional with their feedback. I remember thinking "what, people AREN'T that way?" Now I've been around the block enough to know that those prima donnas are definitely out there.

Again, I work in advertising, and worked my way up to CD, so I feel like it's just part of how this game is played and any little snot who comes in and doesn't take feedback is usually out on their rear end because we don't have time for that poo poo here, and I default to assuming that every industry is the same way but nope.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Peas and Rice posted:

On one of the first freelance fiction projects I did, the editor took the time to write me afterwards and thank me for being so flexible and professional with their feedback. I remember thinking "what, people AREN'T that way?" Now I've been around the block enough to know that those prima donnas are definitely out there.

Again, I work in advertising, and worked my way up to CD, so I feel like it's just part of how this game is played and any little snot who comes in and doesn't take feedback is usually out on their rear end because we don't have time for that poo poo here, and I default to assuming that every industry is the same way but nope.

Yup, there's a huge range in how well people take feedback. I once edited a rulebook for a game by a comics-industry influencer, who responded to a bunch of my edits and suggestions with phrases like "you're killing me." Other people, though, have told me I'm one of the kindest and most measured editors they've ever worked with.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
My first piece of honest peer feedback hurt like a son of a loving bitch, especially since I was so proud of the piece I'd offered up. After the initial embarrassment cooled off, I felt enormously better because they'd given me enough praise on my other stuff that I'd wondered if they were humouring me. Not to mention that the crit I was given was 100% on point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think writing criticism is a bit different from game design criticism - the former has a much more developed lexicon and understood rules, and the latter has a not insignificant number of people championing the idea that it literally cannot be refined (because it's wholly subjective and thus all things are good for some people and bad for others) or thinking balance is bad or whatever.

It's hard to have a mature, critical discussion of mechanics in most places people frequent like forums or conventions, so would-be designers never actually learn what those conversations should look like and critics/playtesters think it's appropriate to use phrases like "the combat is janky" when giving feedback. There's definitely people who are too sensitive to feedback to create polished games, be they tabletop rpgs, board games, or other, but I don't think the problem is as simple as "why can't other industries just be mature like mine, which has existed for well over a century, has significant cultural capital, and has a plethora of viable routes to it through academia".

• Locked thread