Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

cosmicjim posted:

solo, duo, or squad?

I'm sitting at 1.8 kdr solo dropping at school for half the matches, but only .65 squad.
My squad excuse is I play with bad people, and if you aren't the person initiating contact in bad groups you will have a lower kdr. I play with people from work, and one is a loot goblin that dictates where we go and usually drives. He shoots first. So he's either soaking up easy kills first, or getting us in bad situations that wipe us. I wish I could be invisible when I'm playing, because I actually take this abuse so it doesn't affect my relationship with people at work. He's a lead production engineer that has some bearing on my future. I tried bringing him with me to play with some online friends when I first started, and they have banned me from bringing him back, because he uses open mic and spent most of the time sniffling and eating.

While typing this out I just realized I need to drop another $30 dollar on another steam account.

In squad games you also have the possibility of your playing an excellent match where you hit all your shots but you end with zero kills because someone else got the last one in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jvilmi
May 29, 2004

Elentor posted:

I live in a country where people openly talk about their lol rankings in their work environment. My mom and her neighbor like to compare stats on Pokémon GO.

What a strange country!!

I'm getting rain now every other game, and playing on the asian server really is weird. I landed on school and there was nobody else there. :confuoot:

jvilmi fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 19, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ChesterJT posted:

Edgy stuff there

about as edgy as saying the moon revolves around the earth.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jvilmi posted:

What a strange country!!

I'm getting rain now every other game, and playing on the asian server really is weird. I landed on school and there was nobody else there. :confuoot:

It's not that strange, 25-35 yo Americans really like to feel guilty about games, but no one else really cares about being a nerd in 2017. You press a button, kill someone and get a rank, that's everyone who's ever had contact with a smartphone by now.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's more that league is very very bad. it's like talking to your chums about how many times you went around the carousel at the playground.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll grant you that I can't stand hearing about how people can't get out of Bronze anymore, or people complaining about their coworkers who can't get out of Bronze. But it's a free game and when a free game goes viral in Brazil it goes viral hard.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 19, 2017

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

jvilmi posted:

What a strange country!!

I feel like I get the dusk map 80% of the time and then the other two very little. I love the rain maps but I never get it.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Groovelord Neato posted:

about as edgy as saying the moon revolves around the earth.

:thejoke:

I've started dropping at the school like others have suggested. I usually get 2 kills before dying which is fine for me. Plus I can get killed quick and get back out there! The long middle game is almost boring to me now.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I wish it wasn't a full minute for game warmup. I want to Super Meat Boy this poo poo

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

ChesterJT posted:

:thejoke:

I've started dropping at the school like others have suggested. I usually get 2 kills before dying which is fine for me. Plus I can get killed quick and get back out there! The long middle game is almost boring to me now.

This is my latest fpp school drop game. It's vaguely entertaining, I think, because I should have died 2-3 times as I potato'd a ton of shots, but I came out on top by the skin of my teeth. It does seem like the skill levels are still totally all over the place in fpp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj7goqeYZ1o&t=283s

This mid game is still hecking boring to me though.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

willroc7 posted:

This is my latest fpp school drop game. It's vaguely entertaining, I think, because I should have died 2-3 times as I potato'd a ton of shots, but I came out on top by the skin of my teeth. It does seem like the skill levels are still totally all over the place in fpp.

The solution to someone grabbing a shotgun like that in the beginning is to jump and punch their head off, it is super satisfying.

I had a game where I spent too long thinking about how funny it would be to bonk a guy with a frying pan and ended up not being able to bonk him at all, I hung out just behind him for far too long before I even started recording, but I think I made up for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncPmBmQBGRI

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

lohli posted:

The solution to someone grabbing a shotgun like that in the beginning is to jump and punch their head off, it is super satisfying.

Does jumping and hitting in the face do more damage then a regular punch?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

lohli posted:

I had a game where I spent too long thinking about how funny it would be to bonk a guy with a frying pan and ended up not being able to bonk him at all, I hung out just behind him for far too long before I even started recording, but I think I made up for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncPmBmQBGRI

nice win but yea you really shoulda bashed his head in at that rock

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish you could choose the map. i love me some rain.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Confer posted:

Yes

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Confer posted:

It's like 80 damage with a flying iron fist to the face, any followup (or prior) hit will finish them off. I took 99% damage from one guy's S12K before landing an iron fist once :getin:

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
The Groza is insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-3j6_M4_Hc

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Number one thing people do that they shouldn't: Prone way too much.

I just won a solo game I should have lost. Two of us left. He had a long dip in a hill to hide behind, I had a single rock in an open bit of grass. He knew exactly where I was, I knew that he was somewhere along the dip, moving around. Final zone had us both out, so I figured I was hosed, since we'd both have to move at about the same time, but he'd know exactly where I'd start from, whereas he could be coming over the dip from anywhere along the 20 meters or so it stretched.

Instead, well before the zone started moving in and forcing our hand, he came crawling over the top of his hill, while I was still in full cover behind the rock. It was the easiest thing in the world for me to pick a side of the rock to lean from and tear him apart before he even got a shot in. He had the game won but decided to use his prone key to throw the drat thing away.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

The Mash posted:

Number one thing people do that they shouldn't: Prone way too much.

I just won a solo game I should have lost. Two of us left. He had a long dip in a hill to hide behind, I had a single rock in an open bit of grass. He knew exactly where I was, I knew that he was somewhere along the dip, moving around. Final zone had us both out, so I figured I was hosed, since we'd both have to move at about the same time, but he'd know exactly where I'd start from, whereas he could be coming over the dip from anywhere along the 20 meters or so it stretched.

Instead, well before the zone started moving in and forcing our hand, he came crawling over the top of his hill, while I was still in full cover behind the rock. It was the easiest thing in the world for me to pick a side of the rock to lean from and tear him apart before he even got a shot in. He had the game won but decided to use his prone key to throw the drat thing away.

I can't tell you how many games I've lost because my team has made the decision to "just crawl the rest of the way" instead of waiting for the circle to make everyone else move up at once. Drives me nuts but sometimes you just have to go with the team.

chocoTaco
Jul 22, 2017
new video is out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NR6qx9KQVA

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

This linstar guy.

https://clips.twitch.tv/PowerfulHandsomeHornetSuperVinlin

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Confer posted:

I can't tell you how many games I've lost because my team has made the decision to "just crawl the rest of the way" instead of waiting for the circle to make everyone else move up at once. Drives me nuts but sometimes you just have to go with the team.

We've won games before because of crawling the entire distance of a circle through wheat fields in FPP, dudes walking right past not seeing us through that poo poo.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Shima Honnou posted:

We've won games before because of crawling the entire distance of a circle through wheat fields in FPP, dudes walking right past not seeing us through that poo poo.

The wheat usually works really well. The people I play with though think crawling is the magical solution and will use it anytime the circle gets remotely small.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Confer posted:

The wheat usually works really well. The people I play with though think crawling is the magical solution and will use it anytime the circle gets remotely small.

On the other hand, I usually get the poo poo smacked out of me by some prone punkbat wizard with a rifle while I'm running/crouch running. I'm paranoid about going prone but it always seems to work for OTHER PEOPLE WHO ARE FUCKERS

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's complicated. Whether you should prone or not depends on a myriad of factors, including the altitude of the people around you, whether you know or not where every remaining player is, from which direction you have cover, whether people on higher ground are already trading fire or not. You're also really vulnerable to grenades.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Elentor posted:

It's complicated. Whether you should prone or not depends on a myriad of factors, including the altitude of the people around you, whether you know or not where every remaining player is, from which direction you have cover, whether people on higher ground are already trading fire or not. You're also really vulnerable to grenades.

I'm assuming it's best to lay prone when everyone's all on the same level of terrain / you have the high ground?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

ive won dozens of games by going prone and lost dozens more by not proning when i should have

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The silenced groza sounds like putting s suppressor on a chaingun haha

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Confer posted:

I'm assuming it's best to lay prone when everyone's all on the same level of terrain / you have the high ground?

I'd say things depend also on your reaction time, but generally:

Say you're in a flat terrain, everyone is proned and someone kinda knows your whereabouts they can toss a grenade and it's game over for you. They can also do it blindly. If someone is not proned they will probably spot you and kill you if you're not facing them straight away.

If you're surrounded by terrain tall enough to hide you but you can have third-person view of your surroundings, great. If the ground can cover you but only if you're prone, you're vulnerable to people with third person view who might approach you from the sides. This can be an issue if it's raining. You lose sight of everyone. You do things like this if people are trading fire, you know how many of them there are, and you want to pick off the survivor. I won a duo where my partner got DCd early on by proning behind some cliff walls (that was the only way not to show my helmet off), waiting the duo in front of me to kill everyone and killing them from behind.

There are many high ground situations where the people on the high ground are gonna die a miserable death due to revealing their position when they shouldn't because they're not Grimmz, VulgarAndStupid or Koala and won't be able to kill 4 or 5 people by themselves. A good situation to lay prone is if you're absolutely sure that no one uphill has seen you, you've got a decent cover and you're waiting for them to kill themselves. If they're not scouting or if they have already scouted, you can kill a bunch of people by yourself once they've killed the people in the low ground who could pose a threat to you.

So basically, you prone if you're absolutely sure no one is gonna spot you, there is >some< cover, you have a decent awareness of your surroundings and there's strategic value in doing that. The usual EV being higher routine. I usually prone more when my duo partner is murdered/crashes/dcs and I need to 1v2 for the rest of the match.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Makes a lot of sense. I'm assuming a lot of this changes while in first person mode as well? It seems like it's a lot harder spotting people in grass / wheat when your point of view is lower like that and you don't have such a higher viewpoint.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Confer posted:

Makes a lot of sense. I'm assuming a lot of this changes while in first person mode as well? It seems like it's a lot harder spotting people in grass / wheat when your point of view is lower like that and you don't have such a higher viewpoint.

This is basically all you need to be invisible enough to let everyone else kill themselves and then ice whoever's still left as he tries to find you in FPP. Poor bastards never even saw my dude once he got down in the wheat and still didn't see him when he had to crawl out into the grass for the circle. The rest of the team died in a firefight for a house with two other squads but he pulled it through at the end there by just laying low.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
Movement is hard, especially in those final stages. I try to make use of the terrain and try to be clever about things, but I'm just not good enough at spotting and remaining unseen. The way I move isn't much different from how ChocoTaco seems to do the same, but he's a lot better at spotting people before they start shooting at him. :v:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

On the other hand, I usually get the poo poo smacked out of me by some prone punkbat wizard with a rifle while I'm running/crouch running. I'm paranoid about going prone but it always seems to work for OTHER PEOPLE WHO ARE FUCKERS

Whats a punkbat

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Some people call the game that for some reason instead of by it's god-given pronunciation of pub-guh.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

PlayerUNKnown's BATtlegrounds
Sometimes it's PLUNKBAT instead

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Neopie posted:

PlayerUNKnown's BATtlegrounds
Sometimes it's PLUNKBAT instead

Just call it pubg like a normal person

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

A little bit of elevation will help you immensely against sneaky snakes. But at the same time, so will tossing your second primary and backpack.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Are there plans to adjust the loot distribution? Right now I'm still finding defined clusters of similar items - if I find a level 3 bag, I know there's one or two more within 100m. If I find an 8x scope, I'll pick another one up in 30 seconds. It's also supremely frustrating to run through entire loot-rich areas like apartments or docks and see nothing but pistols and shotguns, but if there's a single assault rifle anywhere I'll have more ammo than I can carry available all around me.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McKilligan posted:

Are there plans to adjust the loot distribution? Right now I'm still finding defined clusters of similar items - if I find a level 3 bag, I know there's one or two more within 100m. If I find an 8x scope, I'll pick another one up in 30 seconds. It's also supremely frustrating to run through entire loot-rich areas like apartments or docks and see nothing but pistols and shotguns, but if there's a single assault rifle anywhere I'll have more ammo than I can carry available all around me.
Way to fall victim to confirmation bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

McKilligan posted:

I mean, the "seeding" is noticeable and weird, but how would you adjust your looting plans if it was completely evenly distributed? You wouldn't, so at the end of the day, who cares?

• Locked thread