Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
depends on a couple things: how familiar are u with a keyboard and how much u wanna spend?

there are some bomb rear end semi modulars out, such as the moog mother 32 and the make noise 0-coast (nc reppin til the day i die) for about half a stack -- for the same price you can get the korg minilogue, which has a built in keyboard but no patch points (so u wont be tempted to get a modular :getin:)
for a couple bills or so theres the arturia microbrute and the korg monologue, which are both p cool and quite capable instruments whose small footprint would make them worth keeping to carry around some time even if u go on to something bigger/better

now all of these but the make noise 0-coast are gonna be basic east coast style synths, which is a deep paradigm and traditionally the way many synthesizer players learned was on instruments like these

however theres also all manner of cool digital doodads out now and dropping soon -- and theres all kinds of old digital stuff you can find for cheap somewhere. i wouldnt rly recommend starting with a digital synth tho, because the user interfaces tend to be rather opaque if you dont already have some general idae of how to synthesize

n/e ways theres lotsa questions so ask away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

depends on a couple things: how familiar are u with a keyboard and how much u wanna spend?

there are some bomb rear end semi modulars out, such as the moog mother 32 and the make noise 0-coast (nc reppin til the day i die) for about half a stack -- for the same price you can get the korg minilogue, which has a built in keyboard but no patch points (so u wont be tempted to get a modular :getin:)
for a couple bills or so theres the arturia microbrute and the korg monologue, which are both p cool and quite capable instruments whose small footprint would make them worth keeping to carry around some time even if u go on to something bigger/better

now all of these but the make noise 0-coast are gonna be basic east coast style synths, which is a deep paradigm and traditionally the way many synthesizer players learned was on instruments like these

however theres also all manner of cool digital doodads out now and dropping soon -- and theres all kinds of old digital stuff you can find for cheap somewhere. i wouldnt rly recommend starting with a digital synth tho, because the user interfaces tend to be rather opaque if you dont already have some general idae of how to synthesize

n/e ways theres lotsa questions so ask away

thank u very much bebop and apologies 4 the late response as i appreciate that u took the time 2 give such a detailed response...

that said, i was seriously asking for a friend as the the original question was prompted by me suggesting they buy a synth once they move into a new place - they thought well of the idea but seemed dismissive due 2 their perceived total lack of musical comprehension/ability (tho ofc they have excellent taste and certainly love the bleep bloops)...so not knowing much myself, and ofc knowing that u do, i said i would ask to see what a good starter synth would be if they are indeed serious. so ill pass this along and sit back and lol when asked wtf an east coast synth is HA

unfortunately im the same way, major life regret not learning a keyboard instrument when young as i got hands like chopin and obviously a huge passion 4 music (albeit as a spectator) and we even had an organ at home growing up but my parents were never really the type 2 force things on me so i never got pushed 2 learn via being forcibly sent 2 an old ladies house after school for piano lessons and eventually the organ was donated 2 the local congregational church by the time i had this realization. oh 2 think i coulda been like the garth hudson of the 21st century :sigh: fml :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_7q9_EJYvE

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Mariana Horchata posted:

thank u very much bebop and apologies 4 the late response as i appreciate that u took the time 2 give such a detailed response...

that said, i was seriously asking for a friend as the the original question was prompted by me suggesting they buy a synth once they move into a new place - they thought well of the idea but seemed dismissive due 2 their perceived total lack of musical comprehension/ability (tho ofc they have excellent taste and certainly love the bleep bloops)...so not knowing much myself, and ofc knowing that u do, i said i would ask to see what a good starter synth would be if they are indeed serious. so ill pass this along and sit back and lol when asked wtf an east coast synth is HA
east coast basically means that its got a cool filter, hopefully with a lotta balls, so u can do classic filter sweeps n such
like what the tubeway army equipped themselves with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrdNmJSpeu4

west coast is waay more esoteric, even the big california synth companies like sequential circuits and oberheim made strictly east coast synths til they started building more complex digital toys in the 80s

subotnick's silver apples of the moon is considered probably the first classic of the west coast synth genre, but suzanne ciani is my favorite personally. she def reps the east coast poo poo too, famously appearing on lettermans show when it was in the fukken morning (!!! extreme dedication cuz synthesizer people have a tendency away from the deesy) to demo a sequential prophet 5 (killer synth from california, but total east coast sound)

the west coast has way less emphasis on the filter or keyboard, and was exemplified originally by buchla and serge
suzanne ciani is still an amazing master of the buchla, heres her on her 200 series fortysome years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCfRqIqnSNY

quote:

unfortunately im the same way, major life regret not learning a keyboard instrument when young as i got hands like chopin and obviously a huge passion 4 music (albeit as a spectator) and we even had an organ at home growing up but my parents were never really the type 2 force things on me so i never got pushed 2 learn via being forcibly sent 2 an old ladies house after school for piano lessons and eventually the organ was donated 2 the local congregational church by the time i had this realization. oh 2 think i coulda been like the garth hudson of the 21st century :sigh: fml :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_7q9_EJYvE

the synthesizer is not the keyboard ;)
this is one of the things even bob moog stressed, tho most of his early customers disagreed (such as carlos doing a whole album of bach keyboard pieces to debut the synthesizer on vinyl)
the west coast folks were deffo anti traditional keyboard, buchla and serge both made units that had metal touchplates instead of moving keys, and each plate must be tuned independently
(i in fact have one little unit with 4 plates in my modular rn, i used to have 2 of them but, as each plate can output 3 tuned voltages, tuning 2 dozen keys was too much for my stoner rear end lolol)
and tangerine dream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qae7k321nVo, among others, did lots of work with east coast synths while ignoring the keyboard (they bought the rolling stones' moog after keith richard realized it was nothing but a tavle for an ashtray and a cocktail, the tolex too bumpy to even do a proper line off of)

my heroine eliane radigue, in fact, played an arp 2500 she bought while studying in new york and took only the main voice unit when she returned to france, leaving the keyboard behind completely!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypKM2LedOso

and ofc if you do get an instrument with a keyboard, most analog synths are monophonic -- they only play one note at a time, so its much more user friendly way to get acquainted with the keys than a piano as far as harmony and dissonance and such

i would look at the arturia minibrute, the roland sh-01a and se-02, and the behringer minimoog (mini d or w/e they call it) as well as the synths i mentioned previously, the moog mother 32 and make noise 0-coast and arturia microbrute :thumbsup:

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
patch cords

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

:getin:

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

also said person told me they have an internet friend on slack who is the daughter of the guy who invented the midi controller

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mr. Bradley did you get your Civic back?

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/08/junkyard-find-1986-honda-civic-1300-hatchback/

I'm building a plastic model of a Dodge Ramcharger

It was a blocky as gently caress truck that was in production for like 20 years with a single styling refresh

In Canada they rusted off the roads decades ago so I subsist on plastic

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

i got the stealthwagon back and some days it will even start! hoepfully today is one :regd09:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Nebakenezzer posted:

Mr. Bradley did you get your Civic back?

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/08/junkyard-find-1986-honda-civic-1300-hatchback/

I'm building a plastic model of a Dodge Ramcharger

It was a blocky as gently caress truck that was in production for like 20 years with a single styling refresh

In Canada they rusted off the roads decades ago so I subsist on plastic

i like building plastic models of robots

aka gunpla

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Condiv posted:

i prefer being the real thing :smugdog:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Condiv posted:

aka gunpla

I sorta wish all the people building small nerdy things could get together in a big thread

But if we did that, there would be a post once every twenty pages from a scale modeller, it'd be almost entirely youse small robot builders and mini-painters

PS> We have a really skilled model trains dude in the scale model thread and we've learned that it is incredibly easy to troll the average model railroader, they'd have your angry conservative uncle calling them reactionary

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Al! posted:

toe jam and earl is an anime right

psot

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Mariana Horchata posted:

ur wonderful 4 many reasons and one of them is ur pro-sig stance

:sg:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Nebakenezzer posted:

I sorta wish all the people building small nerdy things could get together in a big thread

But if we did that, there would be a post once every twenty pages from a scale modeller, it'd be almost entirely youse small robot builders and mini-painters

PS> We have a really skilled model trains dude in the scale model thread and we've learned that it is incredibly easy to troll the average model railroader, they'd have your angry conservative uncle calling them reactionary

c-spam gunpla and friends thred

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
omg dazzler

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

or wait is that jubilee??? how come the xmen have two characters with firework powers

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Al! posted:

omg dazzler

thats jubilee you sone of a gun :clint:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Al! posted:

or wait is that jubilee??? how come the xmen have two characters with firework powers

jubilee fits my custom title & sig color palette really well. makes my sig pop

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

its super good ya

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Al! posted:

jubilee has fireworks powers because shes chinese-american

dazzler can turn sound into light incl lazor beams because shes from disco

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Squizzle posted:

jubilee has fireworks powers because shes chinese-american

dazzler can turn sound into light incl lazor beams because shes from disco

lol im an xmens now?! wtf yo

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
c-spam gunpla group build challenge would be fun

my gunpla and chill shirt just showed up in the mail, and I still need to finish my patlabor kit

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

jubilee is pretty cool

so are plastic model kits

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

punchymcpunch posted:

jubilee is pretty cool

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
A C-SPAM Gunpla challenge I think would be the thing to finally make me try something more ambitious than a straight snap build.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I make gundams every week

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poo poo, what should we do? Ball Gundam? Zakus? Something not too pricey/hard to get

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Taintrunner posted:

poo poo, what should we do? Ball Gundam? Zakus? Something not too pricey/hard to get

hygogg!

https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby...keywords=hygogg

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think you'd want a simpler design that people could do different stuff with, like a GM or a Hi-Mock or something.

Or an (ed) Ball(s) but honestly the HG Ball kit kinda sucks.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think you'd want a simpler design that people could do different stuff with, like a GM or a Hi-Mock or something.

yeah I guess the Ball is a bad start. we could all do a basic Zaku and encourage people to be creative painting them and what not?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Taintrunner posted:

yeah I guess the Ball is a bad start. we could all do a basic Zaku and encourage people to be creative painting them and what not?

if we do anything i'd hope it can be in december cause i can't afford any new models till then

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Condiv posted:

if we do anything i'd hope it can be in december cause i can't afford any new models till then

winter c-spam gouf troop would be rad

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Guy Goodbody posted:

It`s funny you mention the Hi-mock, the scale model thread did a group build of those and it was rad

Unkempt posted:

Here we go.

Ensign Expendable posted:

November just ran out, and you know what that means! Go, Soviet commubot!

Smash the invaders!

Even the toughest fascist beasts are no match for its strength!

Feel safe, comrades, knowing that the commubot vigilantly defends your borders night and day.

Base Emitter posted:

Hi-Mock + red metallic paint job + 1/24 truck accessories + 1/6 revolvers + low effort base

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Those are awesome. And they show off the versatility of the Hi-Mock. I'm definitely voting we do Hi-Mocks now.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's like less than 10 bucks on some various gunpla sites, too. Mad doable https://www.cambridgelsat.com/bookstore/bandai-hobby-hgbf-1-144-hi-mock-model-kit/B00P5R148U/

Taintrunner has issued a correction as of 00:08 on Aug 20, 2017

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

hi mock indeed, puny attempts to mold robots into the shape of a human without thinking how the robot will shape you :smugdog:

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
wouldn't that be more relevant to tachikomas versus gundams, not one gundam versus another gundam?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

hi mock indeed, puny attempts to mold robots into the shape of a human without thinking how the robot will shape you :smugdog:

the pastime of building miniature versions of massive, impractical weapons of war is a psychological catharsis where the worker who is alienated from the product of their labor imagines constructing the tools of their liberation - massive and impractical, as is any attempt to overthrow the capitalist nation-state's illegitimate citizens

as the forces of capital have divided our local communities into disenfranchised individuals, a group build is the communal effort to reconnect with our primal desires of realizing a greater future (i.e. one where humanity can construct massive titans of steel and circuitry)

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

code:
d o e s n o t c o m p u t e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Taintrunner posted:

It's like less than 10 bucks on some various gunpla sites, too. Mad doable https://www.cambridgelsat.com/bookstore/bandai-hobby-hgbf-1-144-hi-mock-model-kit/B00P5R148U/

OK lol why is a LSAT prep site selling Hi-mocks

• Locked thread