Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Krinkle posted:

I'm hosting a game in six hours and someone asked me last minute if they could be hexblade just now and I wanted to know what the hell as soon as possible. I'm sorry if it looked like I was announcing new UA.

I hope you and your players have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
I would imagine if you had a hexblade in the party, somewhere along the adventure you would offer up an opportunity to find the weapon itself? Drop some hints about its whereabouts, have it wielded by a dark champion who challenges them to a duel, have it as a reward from a warlock, or stuck in the grip of a long dead king? As an intelligent blade it may want to be weirded by its most powerful follower.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

If he gets pact of the blade and starts summoning a sword he has a sword but it isn't The Sword? Or does he just summon a shade of the sword? And make it a lance this time? This is goofy and hard to process.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Probably a shade - maybe house rule it so as you level up the pact weapon takes on more characteristics of the actual weapon?

I'm thinking now though that he could run a Bhaalspawn-esque subplot where the followers of the sword have to hunt each other down, or compete in a competition, and the sole survivor gets the weapon.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Goffer posted:

Probably a shade - maybe house rule it so as you level up the pact weapon takes on more characteristics of the actual weapon?

This is basically our plan, as well as reworking the fluff since our setting is being determined as we play. There's no reason you can't change things to suit your own game.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Splicer posted:

I'm in an LDR with my primary class feature

Frenzy barb?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It worked OK in my group's campaign solely because it was Hoard of the Dragon Queen and my group progresses incredibly slowly so I was just like "so I picked up Hazirawn and I'm already a Blade Pact... can I switch my patron to Hexblade?"

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
The correct way to roleplay the Hexblade:

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Caphi posted:

The dark blade's name is "darkblade."

Mike Mearls™ levels of creativity right there, let me tell you what. So creative that he didn't even bother to change it even a tiny bit six years after releasing the same thing only, somehow, less creative than the one in Heroes of Shadow.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Wiz Wizardson, heir to the House of Wiz, graduate (with honours) of Wizard Academy.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I recall reading a goon made a fix for the terrible challenge ratings in the Monster Manual, but don't remember who, and this is a long thread. Anyone know what I'm talking about and have a handy link?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

glitchwraith posted:

I recall reading a goon made a fix for the terrible challenge ratings in the Monster Manual, but don't remember who, and this is a long thread. Anyone know what I'm talking about and have a handy link?

gradenko_2000 posted:

I wrote about redesigning monster stats here.

I wrote about designing boss monsters here.

I wrote about a more rationalized set of skill check DCs here.

I wrote about encounter design using the by-the-book guidelines here: Part 1 and Part 2

Actually just read everything on https://songoftheblade.wordpress.com/

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Thanks! And thanks to gradenko for the material.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

Krinkle posted:

In Roll20 is there any way to move players to a map without dragging the ribbon from one map to another?

There's supposedly this: https://wiki.roll20.net/Script:MapChange

Though I've never used it and you'd need a pro account anyways to mess with scripts so, probably less than useful for you.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Speaking of, I asked my DM if he knew you can drag individual players to different maps and split the party and he said that's a pro feature that I unlocked when I bought Storm King's Thunder but I think I still do not have pro because the "pay for pro, idiot" time wasting splash page still happens.

Also does anyone know which maps of storm king have dynamic lighting enabled I could go test right now whether I have even temporary pro status or not if I knew.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

I copied gradenko's table into my little DM notebook and that's all I need for making encounters on the fly. I just dream up whatever poo poo I want and then give them level-appropriate stats. I only look at the monster manual for the art now and sometimes to steal special abilities.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Krinkle posted:

Speaking of, I asked my DM if he knew you can drag individual players to different maps and split the party and he said that's a pro feature that I unlocked when I bought Storm King's Thunder but I think I still do not have pro because the "pay for pro, idiot" time wasting splash page still happens.

Also does anyone know which maps of storm king have dynamic lighting enabled I could go test right now whether I have even temporary pro status or not if I knew.

I can check for you quickly

Edit sorry I forgot to check for you.

It seems almost all of them do if they are not above ground or brightly lit.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 18, 2017

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

MTV Crib Death posted:

I copied gradenko's table into my little DM notebook and that's all I need for making encounters on the fly. I just dream up whatever poo poo I want and then give them level-appropriate stats. I only look at the monster manual for the art now and sometimes to steal special abilities.

You could probably also just note down the details of a handful of fairly general special abilities and tailor them to taste without touching the MM at all.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Krinkle posted:

The caves after nightstone has dynamic lighting.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
That site is great, thanks for linking it. The newest post on telegraphing monster actions is especially good advice and something I like to do when I want to invite the players to think tactically.

Most of the time I do that by having a Commander character who will shout orders. That way the players can take him out and leave the rest of the monsters making shittier decisions. Even in other cases, though, having the fantasy equivalent of a red dot show up on a character's forehead is fun and interesting, especially if it invites players to decide whether they want to take less DPS-y actions on their turn to stop it from happening.

Edit: I just realized I had already been linked to this blog from other RPG sites. Small world!

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 19, 2017

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

What are the 5E books that have actual player mechanics?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Ither posted:

What are the 5E books that have actual player mechanics?

Players Handbook (PHB) has everything you need to play.
Dungeon Master's Guide (DMG) has stuff useful for running a campaign, like magic item lists, encounter/scenario design guidelines, and optional rules. Not strictly player mechanics, but it's all stuff that interacts with it in one way or another.
Of the other books, the only notable one in terms of player content is Sword Coast Adventure Guide (SCAG) which includes a bunch of new class archetypes and spells.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Volo's guide to monsters has a bunch of races.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Yeah. When DMing i specific just give monsters powers to stop players from making every combat samey, especially important battles. Just make the recharges feel right for how telegraphed and strong the powers are, or make them have triggering conditions (or both).

This powerful solo mimic forces a positioning minigame, it tongue sweeps you if you bunch up in front of it and beat on it for too long. If you only stay at range it closes and takes reduced damage until it tongue reels you in. Attacking from the sides does reduced damage. Attacking from directly behind deals extra damage as you attack the hinge, but... It moves by attaching to the ceiling and swinging, dealing damage and pushing with a high dc as a full action... But it only moves in straight lines and slowly. It prios protecting its back over other concerns. You have to figure out what your strenghths are and what it's weaknesses and patterns are to beat it. Iirc in this battle we had new party members joining who were webbed up behind the mimic so there was a first phase in which the mimic showed some of its patterns.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So what the hell else other than Blade Ward is worth using in Astral Refuge, the Seeker patron's 6th level ability? I guess if you have the invocations, Mage Armor or False Life. There's a handful of spells that take slots but for god's sake you're a warlock.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Volo's guide to monsters has a bunch of races.

Most of those are in the free Elemental Evil player companion PDF though aren't they?

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So what the hell else other than Blade Ward is worth using in Astral Refuge, the Seeker patron's 6th level ability? I guess if you have the invocations, Mage Armor or False Life. There's a handful of spells that take slots but for god's sake you're a warlock.

Armor of Agathys and Blade Ward combo is legit af, especially vs multi-attackers. P garbo ability overall though, it'd be better if it removed you from the Material until the start of your next turn or something.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

doctor 7 posted:

Most of those are in the free Elemental Evil player companion PDF though aren't they?

No just one. Still it's mainly a monster manual. Not a player races book.

The Upcoming Xanathar's Guide appears to be the big player options book.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 19, 2017

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

In Roll20 is there any way to move players to a map without dragging the ribbon from one map to another?

What i usually do is just copy paste the characters tokens to each map

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

MonsterEnvy posted:

No just one. Still it's mainly a monster manual. Not a player races book.

The Upcoming Xanathar's Guide appears to be the big player options book.

I just checked and it has a decent number of player races but not all in Volo.
http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/player%E2%80%99s-companion

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yo, I'm a first time 5e DM and I'd like some help scaling a monster's challenge rating. Specifically I'd like to scale a wight to CR 9 or 10, to turn it into some kind of Mega-Wight. But, since I have no experience with this edition, I haven't the faintest clue how to do that. I know I could just reskin another monster but I'd rather not.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lurdiak posted:

Yo, I'm a first time 5e DM and I'd like some help scaling a monster's challenge rating. Specifically I'd like to scale a wight to CR 9 or 10, to turn it into some kind of Mega-Wight. But, since I have no experience with this edition, I haven't the faintest clue how to do that. I know I could just reskin another monster but I'd rather not.

Will take some work to get it to scale how you want, but the math in this link should give you some guidance in what stats it should have.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

doctor 7 posted:

I just checked and it has a decent number of player races but not all in Volo.
http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/player%E2%80%99s-companion

I know that. I meant Volo's only has one of the EE races. The rest are exclusive to it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

relatively new 5e player here (had a group about a year ago but it only lasted about five sessions) had a quick question

got a local group forming soon so i started poking around for character ideas. for some reason the idea a ranger using two handed weapons really stuck out to me so i've been fiddling with this. my DM is cool with supplemental materials/unearthed arcana so im looking st revised ranger and... is it just me or is this really good?? i've barely played 5e so i don't have much a frame of reference, but I rolled some stats and at put my good numbers in str/dex/con. at level 1 i have 2d6+3 for damage and 15 AC. other stats are kind of pants but that's cool, i like flawed characters. i'm pretty sure the personality i have in mind for her definitely would have a -2 charisma modifier anyway. lower wisdom makes my spells crappier and means i can't multiclass but i figure there are enough spells i can take that don't rely on saves and just buff myself instead.

revised ranger also gets +2 to damage against favored enemies (i'd go humanoid because lol why wouldn't i) and i guess advantage on initiative rolls??

anyway long story short am i unknowingly picking something that is overpowered or am i just vastly overestimating how good i'm actually going to be?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
You're overestimating how good you're going to be. Your damage and AC values are both pretty average for someone of that level. The +2 damage against humanoids is neat, but not necessarily better than the damage bonus from Barbarian Rage or the 1st level Fighting Style that Fighters get. (Which you get at level 2, but then they'd pick up Action Surge so it kind of evens out again.)

Advantage on initiative is more or less worthless. Initiative in D&D is a cycle, so "going first" matters only for a tiny moment and then loses all meaning. In fact, for a melee character it can be outright dangerous. I've seen many Rogues and Monks win initiative, go forth to slay their enemies, and then get torn to pieces because the monsters were up next - with only that one PC as the nearest available target. I suggest you carry a couple of hand axes around for throwing, because "winning" initiative as a melee character can be tantamount to suicide under some circumstances.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ok awesome, last time i played i was more or less the healer so i didn't get to do much combat and get a feel for what's some good damage to put out. i'm super on board with being average.

thanks!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Did you roll for stats? If not, how did you get a -2 Cha mod?

Don't roll for stats.

Edit: Echoing the above poster; any melee damage character worth their salt is going to be rolling 2d6+3 damage minimum, and a 15 AC is Not Good for melee. I haven't looked at either version of the Ranger so I don't know their armor options.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 20, 2017

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i rolled for stats because i personally think it's more interesting, a little more variety. you can get some higher highs and lower lows. that said I try to keep it "balanced" in the sense that i don't take stats i roll if there's like three 16+ and no negatives. i like characters that are good at some things and bad at others!

EDIT: just to be clear i'm getting together with a bunch of casual/new players and i'm not looking to min/max my decisions, i was just looking for stuff that's fun. hell my original idea was tiefling barbarian but eventually shied away not because tief doesn't do anything for barbarian but because barbarian didn't really do what i wanted. after i rolled some good numbers i just wanted to make sure my character wasn't going to overshadow anyone else because my experience in 5e combat is limited. i'm super down with being average to not great, combat can be fun when things go wrong :getin:

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 20, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kaubocks posted:

ok awesome, last time i played i was more or less the healer so i didn't get to do much combat and get a feel for what's some good damage to put out. i'm super on board with being average.

thanks!
The big thing for the revised ranger is that going first means you can pick and choose who to attack for your "first round attack gets advantage" ability. Spend your bonus attack marking and then attack with a ranged weapon (or throw a dagger or a hand axe). Splash rogue after level 5 and the advantage will trigger your sneak attacks for some decent alpha striking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

i rolled for stats because i personally think it's more interesting, a little more variety. you can get some higher highs and lower lows. that said I try to keep it "balanced" in the sense that i don't take stats i roll if there's like three 16+ and no negatives. i like characters that are good at some things and bad at others!

With point buy, you can have 8, 8, 8, 15, 15, 15 before racial adjustments. That means all kinds of room for variety, especially if you're just discarding a bunch of 16+ rolls.

Is your GM ok with you rolling stats at home? I sure wouldn't be.