Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

How long would it take to get a heatstroke at 131 degrees fahrenheit? I'm guessing a lot less time than to walk to a mountain on the horizon.

Depends on the humidity. In very low humidity sweating is an efficient way to shed heat. Sunburn and dehydration would be a bigger concern. Once you're dehydrated the heat will kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trip report: DS9 season 4, episode 8 "The Sword of Kahless"

I hadn't remembered the Sword of Kahless was the One Ring. I give Dax a lot of crap, but my favorite moment was her shooting Worf, and then, just as he begins to gloat, Kor. Speaking of whom, John Colicos is fantastic as always.

Episode 9 "Our Man Bashir"

Bashir shooting Garak felt earned here, in a way it wouldn't have earlier. Avery Brooks though, man. Sometimes he just goes off his meds or something, and puts in a really weird performance. I get that it's part of the premise, but he's... something else.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Brooks is what happens when an old-school artsy acting scenester learns the power of how to be the biggest ham in a five mile radius.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

How do they eat? Milkshakes must be very popular on their plant.

They did the "mouth covered in fleshy bits" thing more than once and somehow no one ever pointed out how this was dumb and would never happen even by Star Trek standards.

Arglebargle III posted:

Depends on the humidity. In very low humidity sweating is an efficient way to shed heat. Sunburn and dehydration would be a bigger concern. Once you're dehydrated the heat will kill you.

Yeah you have to know the wet bulb temperature, which depends on humidity. Any wet bulb temp over 35 C it becomes impossible for the body to cool itself and you'll die in less time than you'd think.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Arglebargle III posted:

Well they had literally no water.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Once you run out of sweat you get heat stroke and die then. 53 C is pretty extreme but maybe those uniforms are some kind of... nah they're just PJs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My dad was watching The Savage Curtain earlier today and I'd completely forgotten what the villain looked like;

I legitimately love this design. The mushroom head, the giant collarbone, the dinosaur legs, it's fantastic. It's tough to judge based on pictures alone, so here's a video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEDLI3baJpw&t=140s

It's a season three episode, so I'm sure the design was a product of limited time and budget, but I really dig how alien it ends up looking. It's the kind of design that could really only work in TOS.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The Savage Curtain may very well be my favorite episode of any TV ever. It's a miracle that when watching it, corn doesn't just steadily pour out of every hole in your TV.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Aww, Terry Farrell and Adam Nimoy got engaged :3:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The_Doctor posted:

There are really is no getting away from Star Trek, is there?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
If anything, it makes this a little weird:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2pBqY5ECU4

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My dad was watching The Savage Curtain earlier today and I'd completely forgotten what the villain looked like;

I legitimately love this design. The mushroom head, the giant collarbone, the dinosaur legs, it's fantastic. It's tough to judge based on pictures alone, so here's a video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEDLI3baJpw&t=140s

It's a season three episode, so I'm sure the design was a product of limited time and budget, but I really dig how alien it ends up looking. It's the kind of design that could really only work in TOS.

One of S3's redeeming qualities is that there's a couple of the aliens that wind up memorably really weird rather than being completely normal humans but they're aliens because I said so, or humans with a bunch of latex on them. I assume this was a consequence of them being unable to afford normal humans to film or put latex on, but it still works. This guy, the Tholians, the dude from Specter of the Gun, the really ugly guy from Is There In Truth No Beauty...sometimes TOS' cheapness really works in its favor.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Finally, a new celebrity couple to help me get over Chris Pratt and Anna Faris breaking up.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

wow 20 years really ages you

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

Um, surprise?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah, I've really changed since I was 9.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Arglebargle III posted:

You're older than you've ever been. And now you're even older. And now you're even older. And now you're even older.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arglebargle III posted:

I hope I look that good when I'm 53.

Edit: Which will actually be in 20 years.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Timby posted:

I hope I look that good when I'm 53.

Edit: Which will actually be in 20 years.

lol, as if any goon will or has ever looked that good.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Watching The Loss. Too bad it's not just called Loss.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Aw

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The heck is going on.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Intro thought: I hope this involves actual ghosts. Either way I'm interested to see if Troi feels some kind of overwhelming suffering coming from somewhere.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The audience.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Cute exchange with Data censoring himself

Welp there's the ship getting slammed

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Watching The Loss. Too bad it's not just called Loss.

A lot of people don't like this one, but I can't fault the show runners for at least TRYING to do something interesting with Troi for a change.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I hope Troi's hosed up empathy sense is because something overloaded it

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

If I had empathy cheats I'd probably rely on them instead of reading people the old fashioned way, so I wonder if that means Troi's going to be mind-blind now.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Aw it's not ghosts. I hope it's at least a metaphor for ghosts.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Powered Descent posted:

A lot of people don't like this one, but I can't fault the show runners for at least TRYING to do something interesting with Troi for a change.

It's a double whammy though because the dialogue is bad and Sirtis doesn't have the chops to pull it off anyway.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

apparently this episode was a big hit with the disabled crowd

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Okay I've been wondering this for a long time, but is there some kind of production rule that people can't talk with their hands? It's weird seeing Picard with his arms just hanging down ramrod straight as he talks sometimes.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Well this is getting a little obnoxious

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Hoo boy

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
It's already been established that Troi went to school for psychology, so she's supposedly trained as a psychologist.

I'm assuming she partied her way through school and graduated by the skin of her teeth or something, because apparently without her empathic abilities she can't do her job?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Marina Sirtis has told an anecdote about this one. Apparently when her husband saw it for the first time he asked her, "how come when Troi loses her powers she turns into Marina?"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I thought the "cosmic string" was gonna have something to do with string theory since these beings have a different number of dimensions than us, but nope, it's a super fantasy black hole

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This is the only episode I can remember where the big threat/sci fi part is more interesting to me than the character part.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Data's conversation with Troi is so boring I had to rewatch part of it to understand what was going on because I tuned out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Episode over. The part about the emotion that overloaded her being happiness instead of suffering was pretty cool, but otherwise it just wasn't good.