Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In my search for some good flat IEMs and curious about balanced armatures I bought some Audio-Technica E50s used on Amazon and while I like the sound the casing of them is definitely too uncomfortable in my ear, so I think I'm going to return them. I wonder if other IEMs of the curly-Q type would be the same? I apparently can't know from just trying them on in the store; they start hurting after half an hour or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ears and comfort are a funny thing. I thought I would just never be able to wear IEMs for any sustained length of time until I tried a cheap pair of Brainwavz with Comply foam tips and discovered that changed everything for me. Other people hate foam tips :shrug:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DancingShade posted:

Ears and comfort are a funny thing. I thought I would just never be able to wear IEMs for any sustained length of time until I tried a cheap pair of Brainwavz with Comply foam tips and discovered that changed everything for me. Other people hate foam tips :shrug:
Yeah I like foam tips and bought some for the E50s but it's the housing itself that is rubbing against my ears the wrong way. And I can't pull them out of my ears far enough that they aren't doing that but are still making a seal.

Edit: only on my right ear, not both ears.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah I like foam tips and bought some for the E50s but it's the housing itself that is rubbing against my ears the wrong way. And I can't pull them out of my ears far enough that they aren't doing that but are still making a seal.

Edit: only on my right ear, not both ears.

I have no idea if this is helpful or not but the studio IEMs by Audiofly seem pretty ergonomically shaped. Haven't used one though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In the end I returned the E50s and it didn't seem like any others of that design would be any better. I was reading about the Final Audio Heaven II and IV and they seemed like what I wanted so I went to the store to listen to them hoping that the II wouldn't sound that much worse than the IV but poo poo, I had trouble stopping listening to the IV long enough to buy it. That's another step into the expensive world for me.

edit: there are still a lot more steps that I don't intend to take though

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 19, 2017

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
Thought I had finally found a decent pair of cans that would work well for my audio work and not give me a headache and alas, I am yet again incorrect it seems.

I had been suggested to give the AKG-k240 studio headphones a try (as my big issue with headphones is finding one that won't end up pinning my glasses to my head and squeezing them to the point that I end up getting uncomfortable) and at the store, the trial set seemed to fix both of those issues.

I get them home and I ended up using them for about a half hour before the headache arrived. Subsequent tries had the exact same issue happen so I'm sadly back to square one again. At this point, I'm just not sure what to do anymore. I tried another pair of headphones awhile ago (the Audio-Technica ATH-M40x or 50x, I can't remember which they were I'm afraid) but they both seemed to squeeze where my glasses are at. And while I am fine with my Apple earbuds, considering the move away from both iPods and iPhones with headphone jacks, I'm going to run out of luck on where to get those eventually.

Plus, as much as I'm torn that the k240's didn't work, I could get a ton more out of listening to even some of my favorite music and that's just really nice to see. It really is true that you don't get as much out of music with just simple earbuds (naturally)

So, I return to you all to maybe get some good direction on where to head next. I'll be happy to fill out the recommended information on the front page but I was just hoping that maybe I've done something wrong and the headphones will stop doing that eventually... I'm sort of guessing that's not going to happen though. Any clarification would really help; I'd like to get a good comfortable pair for my work eventually!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Seiyal posted:

Thought I had finally found a decent pair of cans that would work well for my audio work and not give me a headache and alas, I am yet again incorrect it seems.

I had been suggested to give the AKG-k240 studio headphones a try (as my big issue with headphones is finding one that won't end up pinning my glasses to my head and squeezing them to the point that I end up getting uncomfortable) and at the store, the trial set seemed to fix both of those issues.

I get them home and I ended up using them for about a half hour before the headache arrived. Subsequent tries had the exact same issue happen so I'm sadly back to square one again. At this point, I'm just not sure what to do anymore. I tried another pair of headphones awhile ago (the Audio-Technica ATH-M40x or 50x, I can't remember which they were I'm afraid) but they both seemed to squeeze where my glasses are at. And while I am fine with my Apple earbuds, considering the move away from both iPods and iPhones with headphone jacks, I'm going to run out of luck on where to get those eventually.

Plus, as much as I'm torn that the k240's didn't work, I could get a ton more out of listening to even some of my favorite music and that's just really nice to see. It really is true that you don't get as much out of music with just simple earbuds (naturally)

So, I return to you all to maybe get some good direction on where to head next. I'll be happy to fill out the recommended information on the front page but I was just hoping that maybe I've done something wrong and the headphones will stop doing that eventually... I'm sort of guessing that's not going to happen though. Any clarification would really help; I'd like to get a good comfortable pair for my work eventually!

Have you considered studio IEMs?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Is there any reason why you wouldn't try a good set of IEMs? They'll bypass all the comfort issues with your glasses, give you good isolation and you can get damned good ones cheap these days.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Seiyal posted:

Sennheiser HD 569 and AKG 7XX haven't messed with my glasses, but my frames are kinda bendy so that may play into it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Perhaps a monocle will be the solution? :v:

Passburger
May 4, 2013

DancingShade posted:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Seiyal posted:

I used ATH-M50 for awhile but I switched to the Beyerdynamics DT-770. They clamp less and are much more comfortable. Might be worth looking into?

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

DancingShade posted:

Have you considered studio IEMs?

grack posted:

Is there any reason why you wouldn't try a good set of IEMs? They'll bypass all the comfort issues with your glasses, give you good isolation and you can get damned good ones cheap these days.

I had not actually, I'm really not sure why I hadn't (besides probably not knowing brands to look at etc) Perhaps I had avoided them due to price in the past? If you've got any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

NewFatMike posted:

Sennheiser HD 569 and AKG 7XX haven't messed with my glasses, but my frames are kinda bendy so that may play into it.

Yeah, my glasses are incredibly old (and I really need to look for a new pair here soon) but it's good to have some extra suggestions.

mariooncrack posted:

I used ATH-M50 for awhile but I switched to the Beyerdynamics DT-770. They clamp less and are much more comfortable. Might be worth looking into?

Also good to keep in mind as well, thank you!

DancingShade posted:

:allears: If only monocles would work, it would be quite amazing! (That or the mostly failed google glass)

So, in a few more :words:

I'd love some more information about Studio IEM's, I'll be honest in the fact that I hadn't even considered them before. And thank you all so much for all this information, I really appreciate it!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I have only half of one suggestion because I very recently ordered a pair (in the mail, have yet to receive them) of the Audiofly AF100s. https://audiofly.com/shop/af100/ The bottom end model of their studio IEM range. A single dynamic driver instead of some quantity of balanced armatures and a whole heck of a lot cheaper.

There are basically zero reviews for it online that I can find apart from "flat" which is exactly what I want anyway. When I get them I'll pop back with an impression.

And if I made a bad decision you'll know that too :v:

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
Decided to go with the Sennheiser HD600 and am not sure if I need a DAC in addition to an amp. For vinyl I assume I don't since I could plug the headphone amp into the preamp. But for use with digital files on my Macbook and streaming via Macbook, iPad, and Android, how much will the sound quality suffer if I connected any of those just to a headphone amp and not to a DAC?

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

DancingShade posted:

I have only half of one suggestion because I very recently ordered a pair (in the mail, have yet to receive them) of the Audiofly AF100s. https://audiofly.com/shop/af100/ The bottom end model of their studio IEM range. A single dynamic driver instead of some quantity of balanced armatures and a whole heck of a lot cheaper.

There are basically zero reviews for it online that I can find apart from "flat" which is exactly what I want anyway. When I get them I'll pop back with an impression.

And if I made a bad decision you'll know that too :v:

Yeah, I'd love to hear about your impressions of them. The idea of Studio IEM's sound like they may be a really good option for me and I can get an impression of my ears (for custom ones) made fairly easily from the audiologist. If it'll be a good sound pair that'll last me awhile it may be something to look into!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Try something like a KZ ZST first. The shells are similar in shape to a custom, they're cheap and they sound pretty good. A good way to find out if IEMs will work for you, and if they don't, returns on Amazon are really easy.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
I just got a pair of Sony extra bass MDR-XB70BT Bluetooth earbuds and I'm super disappointed. The bass overpowers everything, even if I turn it down in an equalizer. Sound is all over the place and their is a constant hiss in the background. I'm taking them back tomorrow. What a rip off especially at 60 bucks.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I tried out the extra bass bluetooth over-ears and I kind of liked them once I turned all the bass boost to a minimum, they didn't fit my head right, though.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

qirex posted:

I tried out the extra bass bluetooth over-ears and I kind of liked them once I turned all the bass boost to a minimum, they didn't fit my head right, though.

I could deal with the bass but the constant hiss is unacceptable.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

So after many good years of service, my Audio Technica ATH-AD700 died as a result of my cat chewing the cord. I imagine this could be repaired, but I don't have the skills/knowledge or tools to do so.

What would make for a good replacement of the same style? (Open-Air, Circumaural) Those specific headphones were discontinued for the ATH-AD700X, which may be an option, but are a bit of a step-up in price. I'm using these as PC headphones, comfort is #1 priority since I'll usually have them on for many hours at a time. I'm not opposed to headset recommendations, but I've not had much luck finding open-air style headsets. 200$ is the absolute high end I'll pay, but I'm leaning to something on the cheaper end since there's the risk of my cat chewing the cord again. Also would prefer something I could buy through a Canadian store.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Oxyclean posted:

I'm leaning to something on the cheaper end since there's the risk of my cat chewing the cord again.

How about getting something with a replaceable cable instead?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-he4xx-planar-magnetic-headphones
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-akg-k7xx-red-edition
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PEUBIKM/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001ARCFA/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ENMK1DW/

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Figured that was going to cost me a bunch. These recommendations are great - but what sets apart Audio Technica ones from the Phillips ones? Big price difference, not opposed to spending on quality just curious if the difference is worth it who's pretty audio-un-savvy.

E: AT-ATH ones are 250$ CAD to the 70$ for the Phillips ones.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 23, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Oxyclean posted:

So after many good years of service, my Audio Technica ATH-AD700 died as a result of my cat chewing the cord. I imagine this could be repaired, but I don't have the skills/knowledge or tools to do so.

What would make for a good replacement of the same style? (Open-Air, Circumaural) Those specific headphones were discontinued for the ATH-AD700X, which may be an option, but are a bit of a step-up in price. I'm using these as PC headphones, comfort is #1 priority since I'll usually have them on for many hours at a time. I'm not opposed to headset recommendations, but I've not had much luck finding open-air style headsets. 200$ is the absolute high end I'll pay, but I'm leaning to something on the cheaper end since there's the risk of my cat chewing the cord again. Also would prefer something I could buy through a Canadian store.
I sure like my AD700X, but I don't know how it compares to its predecessor.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Very tempted to go with them - I missed them when checking my options on Amazon.ca - only downside is no detachable cord.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

mariooncrack posted:

FWIW, I also use 770s with glasses and have never had an issue whatsoever.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Oxyclean posted:

Very tempted to go with them - I missed them when checking my options on Amazon.ca - only downside is no detachable cord.
Coat the cord in another cat's piss or something.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Beyers are the most comfortable but not having a detachable cord makes them a liability. I would either save up more money or go with the Philips for their really good value if you can't wait

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Lube banjo posted:

Beyers are the most comfortable but not having a detachable cord makes them a liability. I would either save up more money or go with the Philips for their really good value if you can't wait

Ordered the Philiphs since they were on sale for 70$ on newegg.ca

Thanks all for the recommendations!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Oxyclean posted:

Figured that was going to cost me a bunch. These recommendations are great - but what sets apart Audio Technica ones from the Phillips ones? Big price difference, not opposed to spending on quality just curious if the difference is worth it who's pretty audio-un-savvy.

E: AT-ATH ones are 250$ CAD to the 70$ for the Phillips ones.

Well the AT are closed backed, so there's that. I haven't heard them personally but if they're anything like my ATH-M70x then they're really well detailed for being a closed backed headphone. That's about it though.
I'm pretty sure the going recommendation for cheap headphones is Status Audio and the Phillips SHP-9500

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
edit: what the gently caress SA? didn't post my poo poo 3x then doubleposts it when i give up

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Build quality wise, it's a downgrade in every way. Cheaper thinner scratchy cloth pads. Hollow headband wing pads. Cheap re-designed 3D wings. lovely floppy cable that has a mind of its own with a plastic plug. The only upside is it's black instead of purple. Sound is more or less the same from the short time I tried it.

Oxyclean, I suggest asking around locally for someone that can repair the cable for you instead.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Seiyal posted:

Yeah, I'd love to hear about your impressions of them. The idea of Studio IEM's sound like they may be a really good option for me and I can get an impression of my ears (for custom ones) made fairly easily from the audiologist. If it'll be a good sound pair that'll last me awhile it may be something to look into!

Ok got my Audiofly AF100s in the mail today. I ordered the clear ones with no in-line controls because gently caress those annoying things at a desk.

These are the most comfortable IEMs that I can believe exist. After putting them on and after fiddling a bit they no longer exist. Haven't done any tip swapping. Isolation is pretty great too (makes sense since they have comply foam isolation tips fitted stock) but I can still hear myself typing with the music off. Once it starts (and I'm not remotely blasting these - value my hearing too much) then that goes away too. Stock permanently attached cable is nice.

Pretty happy with them.

Oh - sound. Flat yeah. The bass sounds punchy but doesn't feel too punchy so I think that means some low sub bass rolloff. That also means less listening fatigue which makes sense for monitors I guess. Not the widest sound stage but we're not talking zero like as if you were listening to HD600s. There is absolutely some detail loss compared to my full sized retard bad with money audiophile headphones but considering the price difference (these are entry level) that isn't an issue.

Carpenter Brut & King Crimson still great.

:thumbsup:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
This set of ATH-M50x has been my "daily driver" for 3 1/2 years, but they've recently started to peel away:

I figured I'd use it as an excuse to upgrade. Is there like a fairly consistently recommended "next step" up from these? I'd like closed, full-size, over-ear, but also really hoping I can find some that has more comfortable "cloth" pads.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Tell you what though, if I don't get the fit of these IEMs in my canals just right the channel imbalance is utterly unforgiving.

Xik posted:

This set of ATH-M50x has been my "daily driver" for 3 1/2 years, but they've recently started to peel away:

I figured I'd use it as an excuse to upgrade. Is there like a fairly consistently recommended "next step" up from these? I'd like closed, full-size, over-ear, but also really hoping I can find some that has more comfortable "cloth" pads.

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/accessories/products/headphone-memory-foam-earpads-sheep-skin
(they also sell significantly cheaper protein leather ones if you prefer those)

A better headphone than X is pretty open ended and I don't know anyone can answer that for you without something like a budget and knowledge about what you like to listen to. While you're thinking about that, those 3rd party ear pads will do you just fine.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Aug 24, 2017

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

DancingShade posted:

A better headphone than X is pretty open ended and I don't know anyone can answer that for you without something like a budget and knowledge about what you like to listen to. While you're thinking about that, those 3rd party ear pads will do you just fine.

I didn't really think about just replacing the pads, I might end up doing that (these sort of seem like my poo poo), but I'm also pretty keen to see what is out there in terms of replacements/upgrades.

Apparently, according to my listening history, I mostly listen to: Future bass, Ambient Electronica, Deep House and Synth-pop.
Budget is probably "Mid-Range Headphones: $150-$300​", but could potentially go higher for more comfort since I basically live with them on.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Xik posted:

I didn't really think about just replacing the pads, I might end up doing that (these sort of seem like my poo poo), but I'm also pretty keen to see what is out there in terms of replacements/upgrades.

Apparently, according to my listening history, I mostly listen to: Future bass, Ambient Electronica, Deep House and Synth-pop.
Budget is probably "Mid-Range Headphones: $150-$300​", but could potentially go higher for more comfort since I basically live with them on.

I have a pair of the Brainwavz angled pads in my collection and they also fit great on the Audio-Technica closed backs (amongst others) so the ones you linked will work just fine for you. The comfort is going to blow your mind after using stock pads for 3 years, holy poo poo.

Honestly you're probably using the best headphones for your tastes already unless you want to go significantly more expensive. Some ZMF Vibro Mk IIs would blow your mind but that's a whole other story being both quite expensive and in need of a pretty serious amplifier.

I guess just get those pads you're looking at and save a ton of cash. You'll also end up with a super comfy headphone which is really the best thing anyway.

Just note that every pad changes the sound signature of every headphone, so welcome to the start of your ear pad collection. Before you know it you'll have a whole box of them and be concerned with things like dampening drivers with fabric to reduce resonance caused by other things you've done in your quest for whatever tone you're seeking :v:

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Aug 24, 2017

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
Speaking of ear cups, does anyone know of any non-leather style for Bose QC25? I couldn't find any with a couple quick searches. The factory ones are comfortable, but can get a bit... hot? after 3-4 hours. That's not quite right, but I really miss my "suede" cups from my HD 590's, I could wear those all day.

Say what you will of Bose stuff, but the noise cancelling is the best I've used, and they are really comfortable. Great for work.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Lube banjo posted:

They're loving tanks. I've treated mine like poo poo and had them, god, 8 years maybe? Beyond that, the cord really isn't hard to replace if you do need to. It's three huge solder points.

subx posted:

Speaking of ear cups, does anyone know of any non-leather style for Bose QC25? I couldn't find any with a couple quick searches. The factory ones are comfortable, but can get a bit... hot? after 3-4 hours. That's not quite right, but I really miss my "suede" cups from my HD 590's, I could wear those all day.

Say what you will of Bose stuff, but the noise cancelling is the best I've used, and they are really comfortable. Great for work.

Quick google gave me this: https://wickedcushions.com/products/replacement-earpads-for-bose-headphones-black-velour?variant=34389790533

I'm sure there are other options. Anyway, what you're looking for are "velour" ear pads.

FWIW I really like my QC15s still too. Had them a long time. They're expensive as poo poo, sure. But they're super comfortable and sound pretty drat good. If you have a Bose store local they're super easy to get repairs/exchanges on. I brought it my beat to poo poo ones a couple years ago and they swapped them out with a new pair for $100. They gave me a case for free, gave me replacement cables for free in the past. Maybe I just have a good store local. I dunno.

ddogflex fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
What really pisses me of is that the shp9500 are us$50 on Newegg USA but they won't post to Britain and Newegg GB doesn't sell them. The only people who sell them in Britain want over a hundred British lira for them.