Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
I grabbed the Free-Usenet block to backup my free Astraweb account. Seems to work pretty well so far and cheap for 2TB of backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Just got the email with the login information. It's kinda wonky that each block has its own user name and password, but otherwise a great price for a lot of data.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

:shrug:

Contact support?

The bytes are moving, I'm just not really seeing any results from the files I've looked at. If something fails on my highwinds login, it doesn't pull anymore from the '5 backends' Free Usenet says they connect to. I can't find a list of these, which doesn't help.

I might just be unlucky, but here's a good example of a failed download that didn't do any better. Ignore the 2nd (disabled) server.

https://imgur.com/a/ZJ76m
(Sorry on phone and the app doesn't give you the bb code from what I can see)

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Incessant Excess posted:

Thanks for the heads up. Do you think something like the 416j would be enough to handle business?

https://www.amazon.com/Synology-Station-Diskless-Attached-DS416j/dp/B019ZUR5WQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502220679&sr=8-1

You may want to ask the folks at the NAS thread about this but a quick look on that model doesn't look good, the CPU seems very weak for unrar.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Thanks for the heads up. Do you think something like the 416j would be enough to handle business?

https://www.amazon.com/Synology-Station-Diskless-Attached-DS416j/dp/B019ZUR5WQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502220679&sr=8-1

I would do a ts140 and unRAID

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Catzilla posted:

I ended up switching to Newsdemon, they are a bit cheaper and I'm back to full speed.

They look interesting, i'm going to give them a try now. I've never had any real issues with supernews until now but i'm keen to see if there are decent alternatives.

Kin fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 11, 2017

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Kin posted:

They look interesting, i'm going to give them a try now. I've never had any real issues with supernews until now but i'm keen to see if there are decent alternatives.

I've been with NewsDemon since 2011 and don't think I've ever had any problems. They screwed over a bunch of their heavy users that were on a cheap black friday plan, which sucks, but if you can get past that, they are good. Ever since The Scene started encrypting their filenames, I've had very few failed downloads.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I've been with NewsDemon since 2011 and don't think I've ever had any problems. They screwed over a bunch of their heavy users that were on a cheap black friday plan, which sucks, but if you can get past that, they are good. Ever since The Scene started encrypting their filenames, I've had very few failed downloads.

Good to hear. Also the extra 20 connections above supernews are letting me hit like 100% of my speed instead of the 70-80% i've usually been getting. Just need to test the retention now but the speed alone is enough to make me switch for good.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

The retention is well over 2000 days. I don't think I've ever tried to snag a file that had fallen off the server because it was so old.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I've been with supernews for quite a few years now. When I had 100-150 Mbps internet I always hit the speed limit. Now I'm on 250 and I don't always hit it. That is, most of the time I download at max speed, but every now and then I go to 5 MB (megabytes, not bits) per second. Always assumed it was something with either my ISP, my neighborhood or that others in the house are hitting the net hard (netflix and friends). I'm tempted to try newsdemon, but they don't have that GoT promotion running anymore it seems. Or do they and is only active Sunday/Monday?

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

Volguus posted:

I've been with supernews for quite a few years now. When I had 100-150 Mbps internet I always hit the speed limit. Now I'm on 250 and I don't always hit it. That is, most of the time I download at max speed, but every now and then I go to 5 MB (megabytes, not bits) per second. Always assumed it was something with either my ISP, my neighborhood or that others in the house are hitting the net hard (netflix and friends). I'm tempted to try newsdemon, but they don't have that GoT promotion running anymore it seems. Or do they and is only active Sunday/Monday?

It's only Sunday and Monday, but they said they're not doing that crazy cheap deal anymore. You can try newsgroup ninja for $5.99 https://www.newsgroup.ninja/?promo=unlimitedsale

It's the same backbone as newsdemon.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

sedative posted:

It's only Sunday and Monday, but they said they're not doing that crazy cheap deal anymore. You can try newsgroup ninja for $5.99 https://www.newsgroup.ninja/?promo=unlimitedsale

It's the same backbone as newsdemon.

Oh cool, thanks. Made an account (it is a bit weird the method, with the dashboard/key basically not really protected by anything else). But it is nice to hit 29.5MB/s. I'll see how long it'll last.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I signed up recently for Newsgroup Ninja, but am having problems with SAB connecting. I get a no route to host error when trying Newsgroup Ninja's host. A traceroute revealed the destination IP, and when I tried that, I got a list of acceptable domains when SAB threw a SSL certificate error. On a whim I tried us.newsdemon.com and not only did the test in SAB work, my credentials for Newsgroup Ninja worked for the newsdemon host. Neat.

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

withoutclass posted:

I signed up recently for Newsgroup Ninja, but am having problems with SAB connecting. I get a no route to host error when trying Newsgroup Ninja's host. A traceroute revealed the destination IP, and when I tried that, I got a list of acceptable domains when SAB threw a SSL certificate error. On a whim I tried us.newsdemon.com and not only did the test in SAB work, my credentials for Newsgroup Ninja worked for the newsdemon host. Neat.

Thanks for this, was wondering why I was getting a connection error

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I don't know if I've been taking stupid pills lately or what, but I cannot seem to find what the current version of Sonaar is, and so I have no idea if mine has been updating itself or if I'm years behind. Does anybody know?

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't know if I've been taking stupid pills lately or what, but I cannot seem to find what the current version of Sonaar is, and so I have no idea if mine has been updating itself or if I'm years behind. Does anybody know?

You can check your version under system -> updates.

My install is at version 2.0.0.4949 - Aug 12 2017, I'm not sure if that's the latest.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

originalnickname posted:

You can check your version under system -> updates.

My install is at version 2.0.0.4949 - Aug 12 2017, I'm not sure if that's the latest.

If it's at the top of the list with no other version above your installed version, it's the latest for the main branch.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Oh for fucks sake. I checked System but I didn't notice the Updates tab. Thanks guys.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

porktree posted:

PSA - Dog is allowing you to use Amazon Gift cards to renew; $20/year $50/3 or $75/5- if you do 3 or 5 years they adding a bonus year. Accordingly they are only accepting Amazon GC's for this week. Usually you have to send bitcoin or "buy" a tshirt.

FYI: They've extended this until tomorrow.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I dont really understand how repairing or missing articles work.

I have 4 different servers configured in SAB, I was under the impression that if you had missing articles from server X it would attempt to backfill the missing articles from server Y. is this correct? I have the servers prioritised in order I want them used. Both Sonarr and Radarr will download the file, it will fail, and then it will try a different NZB.

I also had Sonarr attempt to grab something and, because my NAS was not connected, the download failed (could not create final folder error, as my NAS was disconnected) it hit about 30 different downloads for the same file until eventually my computer rebooted and remapped its network drives and the download could unpack to the NAS. Can I tell the apps to consider this specific error message a 'complete' rather than a 'fail' that triggers a re-download? it caused my SSD to fill up entirely which had the knock-on effect of stopping other downloads working.

Looking at the settings I can see you can disable re-download on fail, which I have done, but ideally if a download fails, I want it repaired first, and then if not, re-downloaded (and, if download fails with error 'cant create final folder', ignore and dont re-download). is that possible?

Laserface fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 20, 2017

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
All Sonarr/Radarr know is that SAB is telling them that the download failed, and that's it. SAB handles grabbing missing articles from backup servers, doing PAR repairs, and everything itself, and will normally only report a failure if it can't repair the file, OR if it fails because it can't store the downloaded data.

In short, I don't think so. Can you have it store completed downloads locally, and have Sonarr move them to the NAS? Otherwise you'd just have to ensure that the NAS is always connected when download processing happens. It sounds like you have Sonarr grabbing, and SAB doing the downloading, unpacking, AND sorting. To make it do what you want it to do, I'd turn off SAB sorting/renaming/etc, and let Sonarr handle renaming and moving everything after the initial download and repair. Then the worst that will happen is the files remain in completed downloads, and Sonarr gives you an error that it can't rename/move the files, which shouldn't trigger a re-download.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

PitViper posted:

All Sonarr/Radarr know is that SAB is telling them that the download failed, and that's it. SAB handles grabbing missing articles from backup servers, doing PAR repairs, and everything itself, and will normally only report a failure if it can't repair the file, OR if it fails because it can't store the downloaded data.

In short, I don't think so. Can you have it store completed downloads locally, and have Sonarr move them to the NAS? Otherwise you'd just have to ensure that the NAS is always connected when download processing happens. It sounds like you have Sonarr grabbing, and SAB doing the downloading, unpacking, AND sorting. To make it do what you want it to do, I'd turn off SAB sorting/renaming/etc, and let Sonarr handle renaming and moving everything after the initial download and repair. Then the worst that will happen is the files remain in completed downloads, and Sonarr gives you an error that it can't rename/move the files, which shouldn't trigger a re-download.

SAB doesnt handle post-proc - all renaming/moving is done by Sonarr/Radarr.

If I set them up how you have suggested, does that then mean I need to manually run a post-process afterwards on a failure?

I could move the SAB 'completed' dir back to being a local folder and then have Sonarr/Radarr move stuff to my NAS afterwards. it would probably improve the unpack time as well since my connection to the NAS is Ethernet only.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Yeah, if the completed directory is on the NAS, SAB can't do anything and just fails the download, which triggers the re-download. Make the completed directory local, and Sonarr will move it from there to the NAS. If the NAS isn't available, Sonarr shouldn't do anything except give a failure warning, and wait for the NAS share to be available.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I haven't paid attention to what's going on in Usenet land in... five years? I have $10/mo unlimited with Supernews (but I seem to miss a good number of nzbs?), I have sabnzbd 0.7.11, which appears to be dreadfully out of date, and this whole time I've just been improvising from there.

Are there guides to getting Sonarr/etc. set up properly (and to what etc.s exist)? They seem more useful than my current "solution."

I've averaged about 19GB/mo over the past year, but that includes highs of ~60GB and a low of ~2GB. Should I be spending my money more wisely than Supernews?

Thanks!

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Download the installer, run it. Point it at your download client, your directories and setup your indexers. Test your configuration. That's really about it, there are other miscellaneous things like metadata download and whatnot but I just let Plex handle that crap.

I suggest updating sabnzbd first. Then grab Sonarr, do the above then maybe the same for Radarr if you want that too.

Also you need a backup server now, DMCAs are so common that you can't really get by with one provider. Grab a block account from blocknews or tweaknews.eu. They last a long time, I grabbed a 1TB block years ago that is still going strong.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

Download the installer, run it. Point it at your download client, your directories and setup your indexers. Test your configuration. That's really about it, there are other miscellaneous things like metadata download and whatnot but I just let Plex handle that crap.

I suggest updating sabnzbd first. Then grab Sonarr, do the above then maybe the same for Radarr if you want that too.

Also you need a backup server now, DMCAs are so common that you can't really get by with one provider. Grab a block account from blocknews or tweaknews.eu. They last a long time, I grabbed a 1TB block years ago that is still going strong.

Cool, thanks. SABnzbd updated, Sonarr installed and I'm trying to configure it. It seems like nzbs.org is a good indexer (also, it seems to be highly in demand for these purposes...!) so I'm going to see how things run. Next is picking out a block account.

Thank you!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I haven't really touched my setup for awhile, but I've been getting some failed downloads so I figured I would revisit. I've been using an Astraweb unlimited account with a block account from a Blocknews. Would getting another block from Newsdemon help me out?

Also, I just found out Radarr existed! Is there a way to tell it to rename the folder into something that looks nice like Title (Year) but not rename the file underneath? I want to keep the filenames in case I have to go looking for subs.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is there any reason to switch to Sonarr if I have a working Sickbeard install?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

To be one of the cool kids.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

prom candy posted:

I think it's worth switching for the better error handling.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

prom candy posted:

Failed download handling alone makes it more worthwhile to me.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

EC posted:

I haven't really touched my setup for awhile, but I've been getting some failed downloads so I figured I would revisit. I've been using an Astraweb unlimited account with a block account from a Blocknews. Would getting another block from Newsdemon help me out?

Blocknews used to use readnews as it provider, and newsdemon is a highwinds reseller. However i think blocknews uses highwinds now?. Tweaknews would be a better option for a secondary block account. I also use https://free-usenet.com/client/block/ as my primary block now as they are cheaper than blocknews.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Just chiming in that the completion check script for NZBget Here is loving amazing with sonarr and radarr. Configure it with a fast unlimited account and a decent set of block accounts for retention, and it's suddenly tons faster.

I have it set to check 2k articles, and if more than 50% aren't on my main provider, to fail that nzb and try another one, my speeds have gone up substantially because it isn't checking 6 servers sequentially to find the article, and my block usage has also gone down substantially.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Just chiming in that the completion check script for NZBget Here is loving amazing with sonarr and radarr. Configure it with a fast unlimited account and a decent set of block accounts for retention, and it's suddenly tons faster.

I have it set to check 2k articles, and if more than 50% aren't on my main provider, to fail that nzb and try another one, my speeds have gone up substantially because it isn't checking 6 servers sequentially to find the article, and my block usage has also gone down substantially.

Yeah, I installed it last night and it's great. I set my delays on sonarr/radarr to 0 and it just goes and no more worries about wasting my block accounts.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Is this faster than sab's completion check?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Volguus posted:

I just switched my main provider from Supernews to Frugal Usenet. Hopefully I don't regret my decision - $40 vs $120 a year was too tempting.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I keep meaning to add this as it does sound useful. If I add say 20 items to the queue in one go, will it check the whole lot as added or only when it goes to that item? It's nice to be able to add stuff and know if it's gonna be ok or not then walk away rather than find errors on return and have to try alternates.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

EL BROMANCE posted:

I keep meaning to add this as it does sound useful. If I add say 20 items to the queue in one go, will it check the whole lot as added or only when it goes to that item? It's nice to be able to add stuff and know if it's gonna be ok or not then walk away rather than find errors on return and have to try alternates.

Yes, yes it will. I'm currently using it to slowly update the 2700 or so DVD quality divx rips of moves to eye searing 1080p, and will use Radarr's cutoff unmet screen to bulk search and add 50 movies at a time or thereabouts. it keeps track of which items the script itself paused, and will go through them sequentially. You can also add then force-unpause files you just want to download asap, and it'll go back to the paused list of stuff once those are done. It's really well done.

Greatest Living Man posted:

Is this faster than sab's completion check?

You can make it check as many or as few articles as you like, so it would all depend, I guess?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ace, I've got a few 'home alone' projects to do over the next week or so and I'll add that to the pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

prom candy posted:

Sonarr is several magnitudes of order better. Much better error handling, much better UI (my wife can add her own drat shows), ...