Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Toops posted:

Absolutely kill yourself.

Brutal

Turning that costume into a coffin would be easy though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Internet males are creepy as hell

They really should just get back in the garage and change oil or something.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Shitizen dies, is finally immersed in flames, burn down successful, o7

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016
Big Bennys Caskets

Die Rot!

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Well I'm sure glad multiple new streamers have spontaneously and simultaneously managed to discover star citizen, one week after all their streamers quit

I was thinking the same thing and laughing at how blatant it is - and that it's gotten so bad that the only people that talk positively about the game are the ones paid to do so

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
$1 that Chris will flee Gamescom in that Benny box.

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

I still subscribe because the puzzlebox tells me to.

Star Citizen.... you're playing right now.

Mr.Tophat posted:

*vomits all over you*

Now you're hot, and I'm not afraid to post about it

seems a bit harsh

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

TheAgent posted:

I realize I am comparing the current state of star citizen with being shot

I should apologize, playing star citizen, in any form, is much worse than being shot

thanks for letting me clarify

If I had to choose between another valve replacement and playing as much Star Marine as WTFSAURUS has, I'll take the heart surgery.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Cosplaying a loving vending machine?

Oh yeah because there's no actual characters or story or game in the game so it's go as either ships or vending machines or any other inanimate objects that have more loving character than any actual people in "game".

I think this trainwreck is long overdue on it's loans.

Still, at the rate shitizens throw money at Crobblers they should probably get living in a cardboard box practice and hide it as a legit 'cosplay' thing.

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 20, 2017

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I think the real question that should be asked is if the final big bennies vending machine cosplay will punch above it's weight or not?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Xaerael posted:

I think the real question that should be asked is if the final big bennies vending machine cosplay will punch above it's weight or not?

How do we determine that? Does Derek fight it?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

The Titanic posted:

Friend, you're locked onto a bad target. Pull up and dive into some chill. :)

Don't listen to this siren's song TopHat. Her idea of deep end is 3800 meters and chill 2.5deg C

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

LGD posted:

How do we determine that? Does Derek fight it?

The real test will be if it can vend quicker than the eponymous master of ships and Chris Roberts historian can consume.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

Friend, you're locked onto a bad target. Pull up and dive into some chill. :)

:thejoke:

click here for prizes

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

The Titanic posted:

Haha!

Not shown: A single piece of an image from the actual game.

Such a triumphant closer: "...at least now I can feel something solid under my feet."

I almost feel bad for the writers. I mean sure, puff-piece, cover story game hype helps keep the lights on, but at least when you're doing it for something like Battlefield 2 or XCom-2, you have assurances -- expected date of release, what the finished game will look and play like, etc.

Hyping Star Citizen, especially at this point, just has to feel greasy and queasy. Anything you put in writing, any claims by Chris, any dates, any planned features -- it can and likely will be irrelevant in months. Yet you can't say "Chris Roberts changes his plans several times a year and has no problem doing so so take all this crap with a grain of salt".

Consider some of the claims of last year's PC Gamer 3.0 write-up...

PC Gamer - August 2016: 'Star Citizen's ('totally faked though we didn't know it at the time of this puff piece') 3.0 planetary demo blows No Man's Sky's away! posted:

• 3.0, which is coming towards the end of this year ("no sooner than 14+ months from now"), brings the first proper ("possibly as much as 25% of the first of 100 promised") star system("s") in Star Citizen to life, and is a major ("woefully meager") step towards making this universe feel like a gigantic backdrop ("a slightly bigger tech demo still missing most of the initial game mechanics and features promised in 2012").
  • Within this system, there are four big planets ("the same unapproachable gas giant we've had since 2.0, with the 3 remaining big planets MIA"), a smaller planet, space stations and moons, where you can apparently trade, haul cargo or partake in piracy ("carry one unit of cargo at a time to possibly sell once the developers figure out how not to have the box slam into the NPC merchant.")
  • The planet is fully rendered, Roberts tells me, with no skybox. The sun is in a fixed position, while the planet moves ("just a bright light source for this fake demo though Roberts assurances me his will eventually have better solar flares than Braben has in Elite.")
  • They then travel to an asteroid field near a moon, where they quickly locate the vessel—but also a group of pirates ("couple of pirate ships piloted by CIG employees concealed from my view so Chris can pretend this is spontaneous, AI driven action not local multiplayer larping.") After a quick and successful dogfight against a few enemy ships ("the hidden CIG employees"), the captain jumps out of the spacecraft and floats through the black until he boards the Starfarer. There are more pirates ("hidden CIG employees") on-board, as well as the frozen corpses of the crew to push through.
  • Star Citizen still has a very long journey ahead, but the move to 3.0 ("hasn't even really started yet and will not for months as it is just a fiction we are being asked to give verisimilitude to as CIG kicks off their annual fundraising telethon") feels like a significant step closer to building an exciting, online sci-fi universe that people will want to spend time in.

"I'm telling you, String, the people doing the shilling nowadays, they make the last bunch look sanctified. I mean, that's some shameful poo poo."

EDIT: I guess somebody just pointed this out on Reddit. I anticipate healthy and reflective discussions will ensue shortly. (Just kidding... expect the past as you remember it to undergo a magical transformation so that it can lead congruently to this present moment without undermining anyone's future-facing narratives...)

G0RF fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 20, 2017

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Now imagine an actual hard working developer for this company seeing this at Gamescom, and realize the only tangible cosplay/retard dress-up your game has to offer is a sweaty fart of an in game prop that quite literally means absolutely nothing on the grand scale of the game, which says a lot for being a part of Mr. Fidelity's Greatest Space Sim Carnival Extraordinaire

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

nawledgelambo posted:

Now imagine an actual hard working developer for this company seeing this at Gamescom, and realize the only tangible cosplay/retard dress-up your game has to offer is a sweaty fart of an in game prop that quite literally means absolutely nothing on the grand scale of the game, which says a lot for being a part of Mr. Fidelity's Greatest Space Sim Carnival Extraordinaire

I would say that it must be really hard on the char artists especially, but there is only one, and he's not even live yet. So yeah. A loving vending machine is the most personable thing about the game.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/Dastro34/status/899048950434586633

The dark and messy room, and test setup is horrifying.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

nawledgelambo posted:

At least it's not that Hello Kitty thing.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

I can't wait for the next thrilling installment of the big bennies vending machine cosplay saga, where the guy has to apologise to all the people he got excited because his poor housekeeping and shoddy electrical workmanship caused a housefire, burning the much beloved cardboard effigy to ash, along with all his belongings and house.

Ironically, he now lives in a cardboard box.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Didn't someone already do a vending machine cosplay last year? Hopefully it was this same guy. It's too sad to imagine multiple people wasting so much time and money doing something so embarrassingly stupid.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

G0RF posted:

EDIT: I guess somebody just pointed this out on Reddit. I anticipate healthy and reflective discussions will ensue shortly. (Just kidding... expect the past as you remember it to undergo a magical transformation so that it can lead congruently to this present moment without undermining anyone's future-facing narratives...)

It is extremely dishonest and the lowest kind of FUD to remind people of promises that were made a year ago. Everyone knows this.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Blueprints for my CitCon "Giant Worm" cosplay:

Please don't steal.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I'm going to cosplay as the other notable character in Chris Robert's Star Citizen, Giant Space Station Wheel Constantly Spinning Out Of Control.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tokamak posted:

i know we are looking for reasons to make fun of people and while it may be dark it's very obvious that it's messy because of the making of the cosplay and not from years of neglect like a true neckbeard but whatever I guess

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Norway is very disability friendly! You can get around in a wheelchair there pretty easily.

Norway is harry as gently caress

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

thatguy posted:

Please don't steal.

The worm is not a joke!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Tokamak posted:

What's truly horrifying, to me, is what this represents. There is no game here, no hint of gameplay, no plans to make a game. This "Big Benny's" machine is the only object in the world, and these people have latched onto it to the point where they're doing real-world cosplay as a loving vending machine because the cult they're a part of worships a non-existent video game whose only movable asset is the aforementioned machine.

What this represents is a poor parody of humanity. This is not a healthy, normal fan response by any definition. This immersion into the cult mindset is so deep it beggars belief. To build a real-life version of a placeholder asset in a tech demo and pretend you're a fan of the asset and the scam it was built to prop up - this is the kind of stuff that should have these people on watch lists.

I don't think I've ever seen a more mentally unhealthy sampling across the gamer spectrum as I have with those connected to this shitshow, and I've been doing this from the beginning. There's something about this particular scam - it somehow had the secret sauce to attract the worst bottom-feeders in the world. I didn't even know my hobby had people like this involved in it - it's like Chris Roberts found a way to scrape the bottom of the genetic cesspool with this poo poo.

What's starting to worry me is what happens when Star Citizen goes away - these freakshows will no longer proudly wear their warning labels (which they see as a badge of honor), ditch the bunny suits, and once more walk among normal people. The rest of us will have no warning before we get clubbed from behind near a Gamestop, dragged into the back room, and subjected to the inevitable consequence of piracy.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpZJ13xww6Y

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

thatguy posted:

Please don't steal.

loma

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Scruffpuff posted:

What's truly horrifying, to me, is what this represents. There is no game here, no hint of gameplay, no plans to make a game. This "Big Benny's" machine is the only object in the world, and these people have latched onto it to the point where they're doing real-world cosplay as a loving vending machine because the cult they're a part of worships a non-existent video game whose only movable asset is the aforementioned machine.

Hey, it's more real than the game and as horrifying as one of my songs.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

:vince: :five: :five: :five: :five: :five:

Toops fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 20, 2017

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

doingitwrong posted:

It is extremely dishonest and the lowest kind of FUD to remind people of promises that were made a year ago. Everyone knows this.

"No Man's Sky there's more in Alpha 2.6 than that One Man's Lie has a year after release lol!"

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Asema posted:

i know we are looking for reasons to make fun of people and while it may be dark it's very obvious that it's messy because of the making of the cosplay and not from years of neglect like a true neckbeard but whatever I guess

Doesn't make it any less haunting.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Scruffpuff posted:

What this represents is a poor parody of humanity. This is not a healthy, normal fan response by any definition. This immersion into the cult mindset is so deep it beggars belief. To build a real-life version of a placeholder asset in a tech demo and pretend you're a fan of the asset and the scam it was built to prop up - this is the kind of stuff that should have these people on watch lists.

I don't think I've ever seen a more mentally unhealthy sampling across the gamer spectrum as I have with those connected to this shitshow, and I've been doing this from the beginning. There's something about this particular scam - it somehow had the secret sauce to attract the worst bottom-feeders in the world. I didn't even know my hobby had people like this involved in it - it's like Chris Roberts found a way to scrape the bottom of the genetic cesspool with this poo poo.

What's starting to worry me is what happens when Star Citizen goes away - these freakshows will no longer proudly wear their warning labels (which they see as a badge of honor), ditch the bunny suits, and once more walk among normal people. The rest of us will have no warning before we get clubbed from behind near a Gamestop, dragged into the back room, and subjected to the inevitable consequence of piracy.

:staredog:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

This was an unironic video someone posted on reddit, I'm just boosting its signal.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

Yeah, it really is bizarre that Chris Roberts got a vending machine tribute to his single biggest fan in the world -- his Master of Spaceships and Director of Community Engagement --crammed into his Magnum Opus before nearly any other piece of original fiction that isn't a spaceship.

A game with the biggest development budget and supposedly the grandest vision in all gaming has basically one piece of "original" creative in it that is not a 3+ figure dlc spaceship, an in-universe store or its Hot Topic player swag. Even the single planet thus far existent in the PU is Jupiter in all but name only.

All other fiction -- the Lore, the Empire Report, the Squadron characters and plots, the aliens, anything that owed its existence to an actual human being and not some co-opted game trope -- remains outside the PU. One retrieves it from a webpage or CIG video and when traipsing about the PU at 20 FPS, one projects it into your gameplay experience.

Theorycrafter DreamEngine posted:

"Soon there will be a jump gate that can take me to the Helios system! I bet we'll have underwater vehicles by then and I can explore the vast depths of Helios II! I'm going to set up deep sea mining operations as soon as its live so I can get a head start carving out my thrilling future as an Oceanic Mining Tycoon!"

But there is no jump gate, there is no Helios, there is no mining, there is no economy. The adventure of a thousand lifetimes starts and ends in your head. But fear not, there is something original already in the game. Consider it a goodfaith down payment on the wonderland of creative treasures inbound soon, the stuff that's going to leave Rockstar, Bethesda, and everyone else in the industry in the dust. Do you like noodle-dispensers with immersion-breaking nods to real employees working for this gaming studio? Capital! You'll find them pretty much everywhere and we've even arranged them into a Stonehenge structure to destroy your immersion and our creative credibility even further...

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Star Citizen.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

G0RF posted:

But there is no jump gate, there is no Helios, there is no mining, there is no economy. The adventure of a thousand lifetimes starts and ends in your head. But fear not, there is something original already in the game. Consider it a goodfaith down payment on the wonderland of creative treasures inbound soon, the stuff that's going to leave Rockstar, Bethesda, and everyone else in the industry in the dust. Do you like noodle-dispensers with immersion-breaking nods to real employees working for this gaming studio? Capital! You'll find them pretty much everywhere and we've even arranged them into a Stonehenge structure to destroy your immersion and our creative credibility even further...

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Star Citizen.

Jesus, thats such a brutally depressing way to put the whole thing. And its the truth.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
We had a pretty funny game of PUBG earlier tonight:

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/168345995

4 man and we each had a vehicle, which we drove around right till the end. Ran over some peeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Hopefully someone will cosplay as an expensive coffee machine and maybe someone else can be the 1x1 cargo box.

Do they really not see how dumb cosplaying as an inanimate vending machine is? Were their parents refrigerator, cooker or deep fat fryer cosplayers in the sixties or something?

In a world of cosplayers done up to look like incredibly impressive 7ft tall Space Marines, lithe Elven archers, muscular Ork Warlocks, detailed Anime characters, the SC community is represented by some weird berk in a mother loving inanimate cardboard pasta dispensery which ironically does not dispense pasta in game or out, and has no function other than to take up an area of 1m width x 1m depth x 1.5m height and be glitched through the side of a jpeg with varying degrees of success.

I've never really understood cosplay, seems very juvenile and childish to me, but some costumes are incredibly impressive and I admire the work and dedication serious cosplayers have for their craft. I can't honestly see a vending machine being taken seriously at all.