Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Al! posted:

i never thought i'd die fighting side by side with an elf
\

please spare me your ethnohistoric neo-racist hypersemantics thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

hey guys

shut the gently caress up

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

please respect our santacops

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Officer 5'4 reporting for duty

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Beantown delenda est.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
pick up the milk and cookies, citizen

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I thought it was about all ancestral identities across the board. The original passage you quoted draws a line that shows why having black pride is ok while having a white pride isn't.

The original passage purports to show one weird trick to ward off alienation. Ancestral identities are reactionary across the board.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Al! posted:

i never thought i'd die fighting side by side with an elf
\

lol

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

The Kingfish posted:

Ancestral identities are reactionary across the board.

you can tell someone is white by the interesting ways they find to call people backwards savages

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Al! posted:

whats super interesting 2 me about this cobvo is its not just about the exisrence and esirabilirty of identity politics, but fundamebtally about its place in the revolution and the extent to which it shoulsd affect democratic decisions within the revolution.

long story short im actually p happy we're ideoligically hashing out whether and to what degree wokeness is counterrevolutionarry cuz i think that cleavage is one of our biggest ones to total solidarity

lol no one here is a revolutionary, this conversation is stupid and masturbatory.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Hodgepodge posted:

you can tell someone is white by the interesting ways they find to call people backwards savages

don't be an rear end in a top hat.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

Gio posted:

lol no one here is a revolutionary, this conversation is stupid and masturbatory.

shitposting in cspam?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
al is a revolutionary with a cadre of political science students

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
i didnt buy any eclispe glasses, should i look at it anyway

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

deadgoon posted:

al is a revolutionary with a cadre of political science students

lol like id teach a class

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

deadgoon posted:

I can't recommend it. If you're super lazy, just find a tree with some light streaming through onto the ground. The shapes will go nuts during the eclipse.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

deadgoon posted:

yeh

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Al! posted:

lol like id teach a class

i used to be friends with somebody who liked to stream their drawing and she offered to teach me how to make animated gifs and i was like "nah idek how to draw and if i want to cap something i'll just use one of them there gif making programs" and she was like "THOSE PROGRAMS ARE TRASH AND THEY MAKE IDIOTS THINK THAT JUST ANYONE CAN MAKE A GOOD GIF, U DONT RESPECT MY ART FORM!!!!!!!"

so nyway u should teach a gif glass

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

deadgoon posted:

i used to be friends with somebody who liked to stream their drawing and she offered to teach me how to make animated gifs and i was like "nah idek how to draw and if i want to cap something i'll just use one of them there gif making programs" and she was like "THOSE PROGRAMS ARE TRASH AND THEY MAKE IDIOTS THINK THAT JUST ANYONE CAN MAKE A GOOD GIF, U DONT RESPECT MY ART FORM!!!!!!!"

so nyway u should teach a gif glass

i agree with her except im way to intept to teach a class

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

im working on this tho

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

deadgoon posted:

yes
https://twitter.com/sam_kriss/status/898926691346767872

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
is the spaceship antifa

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Just think, the same sun, that shines down on all of America, also shines down on us

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Al! posted:

im working on this tho

oh man i can hear that thing and it sounds bigly, just the best :smugdon:

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Al! posted:

the part where he talks about how ppl become revolutionary within their own struggles and then turns around and says that personal narratives are meaningless
Grand historical narratives are meaningless, divining meaning from the tea leaves of the past is 100% psychological projection. Personal stories and affirming's one's goals are fine. You have to take ownership for your own actions, and why you're doing them.
Causal relationship =/= transfer of meaning. History, like all knowledge, has instrumental value, but does not bear meaning. I bang a nail in with a hammer - the hammer is useful, but has no meaning.

Narratives exist because that's how people process information, but there's no metaphysical force animating them, and its dangerous to treat then as such.

All of which is tangential too: people only ever use the past to justify their own actions, in lieu of thinking for themselves. Looking up your family tree is easier and less discomforting, than doing the difficult work of psychological introspection, uncovering your own neuroses. But only one actuality provides knowledge of the self.

Similarly, projecting the fantasy of the past into the present, is a way to lie to yourself about what you are actually doing and experiencing right now. The Nazis working at death camps saw themselves as defenders of an inherent german-ness -- when actually, they're just a bunch of mass murderers. Alt-right dickheads see themselves as Maverick Culture Warriors, triggering libs and saving America -- when actually, they're just a bunch of anti social dickheads, screaming obscenities and bashing black people (or trying).

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Things still mean stuff even if you say they don't.

rudatron posted:

The Nazis working at death camps saw themselves as defenders of an inherent german-ness -- when actually, they're just a bunch of mass murderers. Alt-right dickheads see themselves as Maverick Culture Warriors, triggering libs and saving America -- when actually, they're just a bunch of anti social dickheads, screaming obscenities and bashing black people (or trying).

what if both things are true at the same time

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 04:20 on Aug 20, 2017

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
the sun never sets on the american empire

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

nothing means anything, you simpleton and it's counterrevolutionary to think meaning exists

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

deadgoon posted:

is the spaceship antifa

Posadas obviously

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darkman Fanpage posted:

the sun never sets on the american empire

What mean means can the American empire mean, my maen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn7QvnhJgeA

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

White people think the Black Omen looks like THIS, but black people think the Black Omen looks like THIS.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

What mean means can the American empire mean, my maen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn7QvnhJgeA

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the sun never sets on your posting

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/atbobb/status/898954980224192513

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

deadgoon posted:

is the spaceship antifa

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Do not do baloogan's ride

Conrad killed me, holy poo poo

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's on the last page of Das Kapital, actually. you can't be a true Marxist unless you call yourself and all your friends Conrad. But it's not like you leftists actually read, do you?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

oh man commy plank would be a pro tier username