Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I hope the next page is just Kramer busting down the door to reveal his intricately carved cat meme scars or something and kramering around the room uncontrollably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Alright, I'm willing to try an experiment. It's been suggested that I ask the pack of uncontrollable shitposters in here how you think Alison and Clevin's relationship will turn out. So what do you think, mm?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
As a man, Clevin will eventually do something wrong, and be reduced to a strawman character as Allison dumps him, and possibly assaults him. She will then come to the conclusion that all men are just bad and enter a gay relationship with either Mary or a later added woman, since Valkyrie lady was already paired off with Feral.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
They will absolutely never gently caress, if that's what your asking.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

Alright, I'm willing to try an experiment. It's been suggested that I ask the pack of uncontrollable shitposters in here how you think Alison and Clevin's relationship will turn out. So what do you think, mm?

Who suggested, mm?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Typical Pubbie posted:

Who suggested, mm?

Nuns with Guns.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Expressing displeasure at the bad parts of a sometimes-good comic is not shitposting.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Their relationship being ~too perfect~ is a complaint that I haven't seen. The complaints are that he's a boring, milquetoast character that just sort of drifted into a banal relationship with Allison. Also his hair is weird.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Elysiume posted:

Their relationship being ~too perfect~ is a complaint that I haven't seen. The complaints are that he's a boring, milquetoast character that just sort of drifted into a banal relationship with Allison. Also his hair is weird.

Too perfect you say?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Alison dies, comic becomes Cleventures.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Expressing displeasure at the bad parts of a sometimes-good comic is not shitposting.

Correct. I'm not sure what that has to do with this thread, though.

That said, the last few pages seem to be less pestilent than I remember, so I suppose we'll see how it goes. Gives me something to do while I wait for my physical copy of the book, anyway.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

Flesh Forge posted:

Are you guys ready for the most awkward love triangle ever? Allison/Clevin/Patrick cringe fodder incoming

hope you didn't think I was joking

cause I wasn't

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

This should go in the OP, OP

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

idonotlikepeas posted:

Clevon's skin will turn gradually darker until he's black. Their strong, loving interracial relationship will last forever.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I just went back and reviewed like 40 pages of the thread and several times I laughed so hard I almost choked to death :kimchi:

This is my favorite thread, thanks everybody for all the awesome poo poo you've created in it.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

This should go in the OP, OP

That would require me to approve of a BravestOfTheLamps post in some way. While I am willing to try many things, I am afraid there are limits. Maybe I'll put something in there explaining how the Clevin subplot was a good direction for the comic to go in; it sounds like that would make everyone happy.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

How can you not approve of that brilliant edit, it illustrates so much of the current state of the comic? :confused:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Why do you hate freedom, and goodness

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Perhaps the true obsession with Clevin lies not in the comic... but in yourselves! Free yourself of the fear of Clevin, and the world will be a brighter and happier place.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

idonotlikepeas posted:

Clevin will die soon and become a jesus. Alison will never get another boyfriend because he was too perfect for this world. That's the end of that plot line. Maybe she'll hook up with feral after? IDK.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

idonotlikepeas posted:

That said, the last few pages seem to be less pestilent than I remember

How do you feel about Clevin's complaints that he didn't get a shout out for existing in her thank you address and her apologizing for that fact?

Personally I'm very excited to see Clevin very graciously understand why this seemingly crazy man is in his gf's apartment and help her put him to bed on the couch and nothing remotely close to a plot happening for another 40 pages.

Or at the very least well have a 3 person conversation that will go on for 40 pages when it only really need 6 or so to get it's point across.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 20, 2017

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
clevin is going to die and we'll get to meet his family of multiracial gender-neutral smurfsonas at a traditional wiccan funeral. allison will walk into the blazing pyre and emerge with a winged clevin on each shoulder and one suckling at her breast. meanwhile patrick commits suicide by throwing himself from the statue of liberty

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Finally, acknowledgement of Clevin as our lord and saviour

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

How do you feel about Clevin's complaints that he didn't get a shout out for existing in her thank you address and her apologizing for that fact?

Personally I'm very excited to see Clevin very graciously understand why this seemingly crazy man is in his gf's apartment and help her put him to bed on the couch and nothing remotely close to a plot happening for another 40 pages.

Or at the very least well have a 3 person conversation that will go on for 40 pages when it only really need 6 or so to get it's point across.

Clevin jumps up and down and claps with excitement, he knew he packed a third set of jammies for a reason and now all his prudent planning is paying off. Patrick, the heel, takes an extra scoop of ice cream. In the background on the now-ignored TV we see Cleaver break loose and publicly flay Donald Drumpf, at which the entire nation as one stands up and applauds.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 20, 2017

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I hope this chapter ends with Clevin and Patrick hooking up and Allison learning a lesson about polyamorous relationships and hurriedly apologizing to Clevin for not understanding it before.

They'll laugh and laugh about their understanding of real oppression and how to positively change the world as the camera cuts outside to that homeless man Allison beat up all those chapters ago dies in an alley, alone and cold and wishing someone had invited him to their non-profit's gala.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Next chapter: Valkyrie gets its first client and it turns out the abuser is the libertarian guy! Allison drops him in the ocean and the rest of the comic is a 'musical interlude' where the gang gets together and sings the entirety of Hamilton to celebrate a job well done.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

How I want the "relationship" to go: Alison realises that Clevin is a whiny, entitled Nice GuyTM and dumps him as hard as she dumped Max when he turned into a Libertarian.

How it will actually go: She settles and they get married cause he's just so nice and uncomplicated and everyone loves Clevin right?

Honest to God, nerd guys are the loving worst and he embodies a whole lot of male nerd entitlement with his "i'm sad cause you didn't profusely thank me, your bf of all of 20 pages, in a speech that had literally nothing to do with me". It's a gigantic red flag, but the author doesn't see that because the author is that giant red flag.

When that scene started at the end of a page with him saying he felt sad, I thought it would be because Alison and the gang were reminiscing about the good times they had with the murderer who killed his friend. And that, although his friend turned out to be a dick, he still had complicated feelings about it. You know, something actually interesting.

But nah, it's because he's a loving whiny self-absorbed prick upset about a dumb speech.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's especially terrible given that all of the relationship development happened off camera, the comic showed one actual date where they held hands on a train and then suddenly Clevin is all weird clingy needy guy that needs to get dumped ASAP.

e: I'm all for Less is More, but sometimes Less is actually Less.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

A bizarre, disjointed rant where Allison breaks down and admits she was never a lesbian and loves Clevin, only Clevin, and thanks him profusely for his pasta and moral support helping launch her cartooning career.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

A bizarre, disjointed rant where Allison breaks down and admits she was never a lesbian and loves Clevin, only Clevin, and thanks him profusely for his pasta and moral support helping launch her cartooning career.

:drat:

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Valkyries first client will be a young man who started dating a biodynamic individual, who only a few days into the relationship began using their powers to coerce and abuse him. Forced into hiding from his abuser, he now reaches out to project Valkyrie, presenting a unique case where having a support - organisation staffed by superheroes might actually be necessary to deal with the situation.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

YOWZA.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

She had won the victory over herself. She loved Clevin.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The comic is not good, OP. Sorry you've wasted money on it.

I predict that at some point Clevin will not be able to keep up with Alison's sexual appetite on the account of her super strength, and will end the relationship, making Allison very sad for five chapters, until she finds a cure for biodynamism, and reunites with Clevin. The lesson is super strength is literally worthless, and all you need is a rape uber app and good friends.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Flesh Forge posted:

I guess I conflate "shitposting" with general jokes thanks to some deep-rooted trauma. I'm cool with people joking/shitposting about the comic being bad, of course, because it is

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think Clevin's going to turn out to be an agent of the global conspiracy. I'm an optimist.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Crimpolioni posted:

Valkyries first client will be a young man who started dating a biodynamic individual, who only a few days into the relationship began using their powers to coerce and abuse him. Forced into hiding from his abuser, he now reaches out to project Valkyrie, presenting a unique case where having a support - organisation staffed by superheroes might actually be necessary to deal with the situation.

This will never happen for a thousand reasons, but it would be perfect.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Clevin is an android that Paladin built to be Allison's perfect boyfriend so that she would go away and Paladin could spend more time with Feral. Patrick will discover this when Clevin returns and he can't read his mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Joe Slowboat posted:

This reminded me of something the comic is, I guess, supposed to be about : Being the one with all this power and privilege and not knowing how to change the world.

Allison isn't just Superman But Ineffectual - she's always been smart, physically able, raised in a loving family, white, upper-middle-class. She finds it easy to do the right thing because she's never been in a situation where she personally would pay the price for doing so. She's a cipher of the author, and moreover, of all of us who are well-intentioned privileged types. The comic is to some degree a metaphor for how hard it can be to figure out how to actually use what you're given to make the world a better place, and how easy it is to not understand people who face harder challenges. Allison characterizes what in Sartre's Age of Reason is called a bourgeoisie spirit, a fundamentally middle-class and conventional personality even when more radical ideals are being held up. This isn't to say that middle class types can't be progressive or radical, but there are interesting tensions there, and Allison was someone trying to find a way to get beyond that (while having a massive savior complex over being a rich brilliant white person deigning to save the world, of course). She's so used to a certain kind of assumption of safety and power that it distorts her behavior.

And, because everything comes back to Clevin, like some kind of vacuous mobius strip, Clevin is the opposite of this - and so he robs the narrative of purpose.

Clevin is the 'woke boyfriend' who is safe, unchallenging, politically positive but not associated with any attempt to organize outside of his incredibly diverse band*. He is a child of privilege, or at least appears to be one, on par with Allison's background, but he has no anxiety to overcome. He's doing something politically useful (the fundraiser) without having to actually confront his own failings, he's a Nice Guy, he's the easy answer to the question of 'when life gives you so much, how do you give back?' You do it by being you, baby, by being slightly unconventional and doing some good on a personal level and being nice. That's it, that's the answer, and if you noticed that it fixes nothing but your conscience in the long run, way to go!

He's the death of this comic. Because he offers a conventional, uninteresting, unchallenging definition of Doing The Most You Can. He's bourgeoisie as all hell and has no interest in confronting its own shallowness. He is an option to just... not bother really doing anything. And of course he appears alongside Project Valkyrie, aka Uber But For Feminism. Because Valkyrie is absolutely a project that does less than it wants to think, that does something useful but can't possibly be more than a drop in the bucket, and is hugely pleased with itself to do so. Clevin running a GoFundMe party for someone's mom is precisely the same: Small projects that do, legitimately, do good, but completely ignore the systemic issues that makes the small projects necessary a thousand times over.

Of course, what's really weird about all this is that Clevin started off incredibly un-woke. Remember his now-murdered buddy, a literal rapist? Clevin remains the guy who was friends with a date rapist and never thought anything was wrong until it was on the news. He's not himself a predator, but he clearly won't recognize or oppose predators in his social circles. He was a figure of ineffective good intentions letting horrors slide. He still is. Clevin is the moral death of this comic; as long as he is at its center and not complicated in some way, it can only get worse.

*also how telling is it that he has a multiethnic group of friends in his band but none of them get any spoken lines except him? I think it's very telling. Then again I don't want to meet anyone who willingly hangs out with Clevin.

Here's what I said a while back that I think summarizes the baneful influence of Clevin on the narrative. Other than repeatedly using 'bourgeoisie' instead of 'bourgeois' I think it holds up pretty well.
Clevin and Allison's relationship will conclude with them focusing on art, culture, and personal matters as fascism rises around them; historians will call this 'internal Clevigration'

• Locked thread