Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
France is just a bunch of Germanic tribes going around and saying "How do you do, fellow Romance languages?", so that obviously means France and Germany are the same :colbert:

Hazzard posted:

The Italians set up something similar in 1917. Arditi stormed trenches primarily with knives and grenades, given covering fire by LMGs. Apparently they took "significant" casualties in the year they were in service and would have experienced complete turnover if they had lasted for three years.

Then some of them took part in the occupation of Fiume and created the blackshirt uniform the Fascists created later on.

Their knife fighting is interesting, because it's left arm forward, with the assumption your opponent with go for it and probably hit, so you use your right hand, dagger in an ice pick grip to go for their vitals.

At Fightcamp I got to take part in melee fighting and trench raiding. In trench raiding I killed two people! Stabbed one and then tripped when struck with a bayonet, so I punched someone with the basket of my dagger as I fell.

Melee fighting was enlightening. It's now quite easy to understand how one unit can flank another, quite easily. And the unit will struggle to turn around to meet the threat.
It's probably bullshit, but I've heard anecdotes that Gurkha soldiers in WWI had a habit of waiting in their trenches with kukris drawn to gut anyone who got too close instead of popping their heads up to possibly get shot/have to leave the relative safety of the trench. Then again, I've read some of the VC citations that Gurkhas have earned in Afghanistan so I pretty much believe every story involving them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Don Gato posted:

France is just a bunch of Germanic tribes going around and saying "How do you do, fellow Romance languages?", so that obviously means France and Germany are the same :colbert:

It's probably bullshit, but I've heard anecdotes that Gurkha soldiers in WWI had a habit of waiting in their trenches with kukris drawn to gut anyone who got too close instead of popping their heads up to possibly get shot/have to leave the relative safety of the trench. Then again, I've read some of the VC citations that Gurkhas have earned in Afghanistan so I pretty much believe every story involving them.

quote:

On the evening of the day in question [17 September 2010], Sergeant Pun was one of four men left in the southern compound because the platoon had pushed out a patrol to dominate the road to the east in readiness for the next day’s parliamentary elections. All were taking turns to man a single sangar position on the roof in the centre of the compound.
Sergeant Pun was on duty when he heard a clinking noise to the south of the checkpoint:

“I thought at first maybe it was a cow," he said, "but my suspicions soon built up, and I saw Taliban digging to lay down an IED in front of our gate.”

Sergeant Pun had the presence of mind to gather up two radios, which would enable him to both speak to his commander and to call in artillery support, his personal weapon, and a general purpose machine gun.

Realising that he was about to be attacked, he quickly informed his commander on one of the radios, and launched a grenade at the enemy. Sergeant Pun single-handedly fought off an enemy attack on his lightly manned position. In the dark he tackled the enemy head on as he moved around his position to fend off the attack from three sides, killing three assailants and causing the others to flee.

In doing so he saved the lives of his three comrades and prevented the position from being overrun. Sergeant Pun couldn’t know how many Taliban were attempting to overcome his position, but he sought them out from all angles despite the danger, consistently moving towards them to reach the best position of attack:

“I thought there might have been around 20 to 30, but later locals told me it was probably about 15. The firing went on continually for about 17 minutes,” said Sergeant Pun.

“At first I was a bit scared, and I thought definitely they are going to kill me. But as soon as I started firing, that feeling went away.”

Immediately prior to the engagement, Pun, who was with the 1st battalion Royal Gurkha Rifles, was on sentry duty at a checkpoint guarding his unit's compound. Taliban fighters, planting bombs near the compound gate under the cover of darkness, suddenly surrounded and attacked his post with AK-47s and RPGs. Acting Sergeant Pun, alone and believing he was about to die, decided to kill as many of the enemy as possible.[3] During the engagement he reportedly spent all his ammunition (more than 400 rounds), used 17 hand grenades and a Claymore mine before battering the last fighter with the tripod of his machine gun. Two Taliban were still attacking his post when he set off the Claymore mine.

Didn't even get a VC.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

That dude's grandfather:

quote:

War Office, 9th November, 1944

The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the award of the VICTORIA CROSS to:-

No. 10119 Rifleman Tulbahadur [sic] Pun, 6th Gurkha Rifles, Indian Army.

In Burma on 23 June 1944, a Battalion of the 6th Gurkha Rifles was ordered to attack the Railway Bridge at Mogaung. Immediately the attack developed the enemy opened concentrated and sustained cross fire at close range from a position known as the Red House and from a strong bunker position two hundred yards to the left of it.

The cross fire was so intense that both the leading platoons of 'B' Company, one of which was Rifleman Tulbahadur Pun's, were pinned to the ground and the whole of his Section was wiped out with the exception of himself, the Section commander and one other man. The Section commander immediately led the remaining two men in a charge on the Red House but was at once badly wounded. Rifleman Tulbahadur (sic) Pun and his remaining companion continued the charge, but the latter too was immediately wounded.

Rifleman Tulbahadur Pun then seized the Bren Gun, and firing from the hip as he went, continued the charge on this heavily bunkered position alone, in the face of the most shattering concentration of automatic fire, directed straight at him. With the dawn coming up behind him, he presented a perfect target to the Japanese. He had to move for thirty yards over open ground, ankle deep in mud, through shell holes and over fallen trees.

Despite these overwhelming odds, he reached the Red House and closed with the Japanese occupants. He killed three and put five more to flight and captured two light machine guns and much ammunition. He then gave accurate supporting fire from the bunker to the remainder of his platoon which enabled them to reach their objective.

His outstanding courage and superb gallantry in the face of odds which meant almost certain death were most inspiring to all ranks and beyond praise.

Despite the above text, Pun told a different story in an interview.[4] He told that he had killed four with his gun and three with his kukri. Later he took a flamethrower and killed a further 30 Japanese in a dugout.

:flame: :black101:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

AYO GORKHALI :black101:

Disinterested posted:

Didn't even get a VC.

So was this just due to institutionalized racism? It looks really similar to Senator Daniel Inouye's Medal of Honor, which was a Distinguished Service Cross until Bill Clinton re-evaluated it to a Medal of Honor in 2000.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Gurkha award citations are always :black101: as gently caress.

Wasn't there an incident in Afghanistan where one or more Gurkhas were reprimanded for bringing back severed Taliban heads to base as trophies?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Don Gato posted:

So was this just due to institutionalized racism? It looks really similar to Senator Daniel Inouye's Medal of Honor, which was a Distinguished Service Cross until Bill Clinton re-evaluated it to a Medal of Honor in 2000.

No the VC is just functionally almost impossible to win and has been getting harder to win as time progresses. Only 4 people have won one since 1982 (and the two people who won them in the Falklands both won posthumously).

Of those winners, one was black and rescued his vehicle column from an ambush doing various insanely dangerous things (including getting shot in the head) and then a month later pulled through another ambush driving his vehicle with his brain literally hanging out of his head.

Of the other three, one guy suicidally charged the taliban at point blank range to allow his squad time to retreat from an ambush and died, another crawled through point blank machine gun fire to throw a grenade at a sniper (and died), and the last guy basically ran up and down a hill evacuating an injured man and running equipment back and forth with bullets bouncing off his rifle.

To win the VC you basically have to make a conscious choice to kill yourself.

There were only 181 recipients in WW2 and fewer than half of the number of medal of honor winners in total.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

This is the most recent Gurkha VC:

quote:

On 21st November 1965 in the Bau District of Sarawak Lance Corporal RAMBAHADUR LIMBU was with his Company when they discovered and attacked a strong enemy force located in the Border area... Leading his support group in the van of the attack he could see the nearest trench and in it a sentry manning a machine gun. Determined to gain first blood he inched himself forward until... he was seen and the sentry opened fire, immediately wounding a man to his right. Rushing forward he reached the enemy trench... and killed the sentry, thereby gaining for the attacking force a foothold on the objective... with a complete disregard for the hail of fire he got together and led his fire group to a better fire position...

...he saw both men of his own group seriously wounded... and... immediately commenced... to rescue his comrades... he crawled forward, in full view of at least two enemy machine gun posts who concentrated their fire on him... but... was driven back by the accurate and intense... fire... After a pause he started again...

Rushing forward he hurled himself on the ground beside one of the wounded and calling for support from two light machine guns... he picked up the man and carried him to safety... Without hesitation he immediately returned... [for the other] wounded man [and] carried him back... through the hail of enemy bullets. It had taken twenty minutes to complete this gallant action and the events leading up to it. For all but a few seconds this Non-Commissioned Officer had been moving alone in full view of the enemy and under the continuous aimed fire of their automatic weapons... His outstanding personal bravery, selfless conduct, complete contempt of the enemy and determination to save the lives of the men of his fire group set an incomparable example and inspired all who saw him.

Finally, Lance Corporal Rambahadur was responsible for killing four more enemy as they attempted to escape...

He displayed heroism, self sacrifice and a devotion to duty and to his men of the very highest order. His actions on this day reached a zenith of determined, premeditated valour which must count amongst the most notable on record and is deserving of the greatest admiration and the highest praise.[1]

He was 10 yards away from the position firing at him and he not only picked up a guy and ran off with him but came back and got another one.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

He's not the only compulsive duelist to appear in the historical record. If you think about it, antisocial personality disorder (sociopathy) is present at varying levels in the population, and if a person has that issue and is born into a level of society where dueling is a means of conflict resolution, he can wind up at an advantage provided he stays lucky. After all, his opponents are just showing up because they have to, whereas he really wants to hurt them. He's not even playing the same sport.
yeah, i've read an account of an 18th century officer that liked duelling a little too much, and his brother officers end up warning one another about him behind his back because in a society like this it would be very difficult just to confront the guy since then you've blackened his name

also i think ridley scott/joseph conrad's The Duellists was based on a true story

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hazzard posted:

Their knife fighting is interesting, because it's left arm forward, with the assumption your opponent with go for it and probably hit, so you use your right hand, dagger in an ice pick grip to go for their vitals.
italians love the ice pick grip for some reason

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Rest assured Sergeant Pun would have gotten one of our many other medals kicking around, the VC is certainly a hardcore thing to get for a reason. The killing efficiency of modern tech really has increased the odds to super human suicidal acts the most recent act mentioned above (also I need to get his autobiography, that guy is incredible).

I still don't understand why the BBC have never considered a mini series looking into bad rear end acts of British soldiers from India during the 20th century. Just a few episodes with the budget from the 1st World War one would do (no shakey cam please!).

Also reguarding the Cornish stuff, I'd have to ask my old man as aside from his service where he went abroad he spent more of his life in Cornwall for a break down, but their are difference between the Welsh and Cornish I wouldn't worry you wouldn't offend anyone with that assumption and instead encourage you to seek out the information with a good book. Sadly I can't suggest anything from the top of my head though.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Yo hazzard what is this fight camp and tell us more because that sounded kind of cool

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Their own drat fault for saxoning and viking up the isles in the first place

Best bet would have been if King Canute's dynasty took. Then Britain would be part of the united Scandinavian Empire :black101:

Bonus, we would be having this conversation in a language without any French influence in it so probably with way more sensible spelling.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

Talking about formal duels, I've read mostly about late 18th century and onward. I don't think any of this really applies to the kind of situation she is really talking about, because her guys are earlier on, even more concerned about personal honor, and also gambling and drinking heavily on a daily basis.

Anyway, according to what I've read duels are mostly about showing up and demonstrating that you're serious about your personal honor. They were structured events involving the principals, who were the people dueling, and the seconds, who were backing up the principals. The main function of the second was actually to persuade the principal not to have the duel at all, and apparently most aristocratic-type "duels" ended without violence. The seconds would persuade their friends that it wasn't worth dying over. They would show up at the field of combat, demonstrating that they were willing to die over the offense, which in itself was enough to establish their personal honor, and then one or both of the parties would apologize and that was the thing. Other times it would actually proceed to violence, and somebody would take a wound, and then say uncle. This is much the same thing, only with a little more determination to prove your seriousness. Somebody asked about aiming in a duel with pistols: often the objective was not really to hurt the other guy, but to show up and stand bravely when the pistol was fired at you, thus showing that you had honor, nerve, grit, whatever. Usually each person would discharge their weapon without aiming, and they would agree it was fine.

"Barry Lyndon" actually has a great example of this at the end of the film. There's a duel with pistols, and Lyndon's opponent fucks up and wastes his shot. Lyndon has the guy's life in his hands, can do pretty much whatever, and he chooses to fire his own pistol into the wall as a gesture. And then the guy reloads his pistol and shoots Barry Lyndon in the leg... because gently caress him, right?

This is true if you're talking about aristocratic dueling but there's a working class version of dueling that operates very much the same way re: honor but is much more focused on inflicting bodily harm. Flip back a few pages and look at what I posted about 17/18th century southern/western "rough and tumble."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grand Prize Winner posted:

What's the difference between the Cornish and the Welsh? Not trying to play a dumbass here: as far as I can tell in distant California it seems they're both celtic cultures that managed to survive the Normans.

e: so welshmen and conrwallers(?) please don't be pissed at mean

Welsh people live in Wales, Cornish people live in Cornwall?

They're different places, if you're going to lump all the Celts together you're going to be lumping half of Europe together. "Celtic" is applicable to a huge bunch of different cultures across antiquity.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Welsh people live in Wales, Cornish people live in Cornwall?

They're different places, if you're going to lump all the Celts together you're going to be lumping half of Europe together. "Celtic" is applicable to a huge bunch of different cultures across antiquity.

Just different flavors of pants wearing barbarian.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Also welsh culture and identity is very well-formed still. People in wales, or at least a large group of them, strongly identify as being welsh as much as british. Cornish people have an independence movement but it's a pretty tiny thing and most cornish people don't really care if they're called english.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

When a dude is down to one eye, is he still required to participate in rough and tumble?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Just different flavors of pants wearing barbarian.

We have some sweet rear end helmets and swords too.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Marder II

Queue: Field modifications to American tanks, Israeli improvised armoured cars, Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR, Polish 37 mm anti-tank gun, T-37 with ShKAS, Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38, Tank destroyers on the T-30 and T-40 chassis, 45 mm M-42 gun, SU-76 prototype, ZIK-7 and other light SPG designs, SU-26/T-26-6, SU-122 precursors, SU-122 competitors, Light Tank M5, Medium Tank M3, Tankbuchse 41, s.FH. 18, PzVII Lowe, Tiger #114, Chrysler K, A1E1 Independent, Valentine I-IV, Swedish tanks 1928–1934, Strv 81 and Strv 101, Pak 97/38, 7.5 cm Pak 41, Czechoslovakian post-war prototypes, Praga AH-IV, KV-1S, KV-13, Bazooka, Super Bazooka, Matilda, 76 mm gun mod of the Matilda, Renault FT, Somua, SU-122, SU-122M, KV-13 to IS, T-60 factory #37, D.W. and VK 30.01(H), Wespe and other PzII SPGs, Pz38(t) in the USSR

Available for request:

:ussr:
IM-1 squeezebore cannon
GAZ-71 and GAZ-72
Production and combat of the KV-1S NEW

:britain:
25-pounder
Churchill II-IV

:911:
105 mm howitzer M2A1 NEW

:godwin:
Pz.Sfl.V Sturer Emil
PzII Ausf. G-H
15 cm sIG 33 NEW

:france:
Prospective French wartime tanks NEW

:sweden:
L-10 and L-30
Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951
Strv m/21
Strv m/41
pvkv m/43

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Stolen from the Cold War thread:

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is true if you're talking about aristocratic dueling but there's a working class version of dueling that operates very much the same way re: honor but is much more focused on inflicting bodily harm. Flip back a few pages and look at what I posted about 17/18th century southern/western "rough and tumble."

Right, I meant to discuss formalized duels of the kind engaged in by gentlemen. Rough and tumble was also about public demonstration of masculinity, but there was a class aspect because you handled your opponent with your hands, no weapons. Aristocratic duels always featured weapons for the opposite reason, because two gentlemen didn't batter each other with their fists or try to gouge out eyeballs. This came up in one of the goldmined threads a long while ago, and I linked an article about rough-and-tumble by Elliott J. Gorn in AHR; he wrote that the practice of rough and tumble declined in the 1820s-1840s because guys began to skip the fight and simply kill each other with knives and pistols.

HEY GAIL posted:

yeah, i've read an account of an 18th century officer that liked duelling a little too much, and his brother officers end up warning one another about him behind his back because in a society like this it would be very difficult just to confront the guy since then you've blackened his name

I rather like this entry about Colonel Harvey Aston in the Oxford Book of Military Anecdotes, page 195:

quote:

He had seen a good deal of the world before he came out to India, had been a great fox-hunter, a patron of the fancy, and a leading member in the sporting circles. He had many good points about him; was generous and brave; but he had a most inveterate disposition to quizzing, which involved him in many personal encounters, whereby he obtained the reputation of a professed duellist. He used to tell a story of one of his affairs, which, though not at all creditable to himself, was the best satire on the practice of duelling that can well be imagined.

'I was in the theatre one night,' said he, 'and, seeing a fellow eating apples in the box where there were some ladies, I took the liberty of poking one into his throat with my finger. The man struck me. I knocked him down, and gave him a sound drugging' (for the Colonel was a famous bruiser).

'He called me out. I shot him through the arm; and the fool called that satisfaction.' One of the few instances in which he was known to have been right, was on the occasion which proved fatal to him. On receiving his antagonist's shot, which took effect in his body, he staggered a few paces; then, recovering himself, he presented his pistol deliberately at his opponent and said, 'I could kill him' (for he was a capital shot); 'but the last act of my life shall not be an act of revenge!'

-John Blakiston

Reading between the lines, this guy is a total rear end in a top hat who goes around insulting other men in public, which forces them to get into violent confrontations with him. Being tough and mean and good at combat, he always gets away with it, until finally he doesn't.

Also, sorry about misidentifying the ethnicity of the Deadwood miners.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

Lol if you think you have honor worth defending after touching on things as interesting as the difference between 17th century honor and Victoian honor without explaining more. :v:
So let's take a look at Siivola's link about Dishonored
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/criticalintel/10133-Corvo-Is-Not-An-Honorable-Man
Corvo Is Probably An Honorable Man (17th Century Edition)

quote:

According to Dr. Banks, to understand British honor culture, we have to jettison our normal conceptions of right and wrong, since dueling was less about morality and more about displays of social power. We also have to leave behind our modern understanding that what separated the British upper classes from "commoners" was their wealth, social power, and political clout. Gentlemen - as the ruling class called themselves - believed that they were different from the working class not because they had these advantages, but because they had a store of internal honor that most of humanity lacked, which made them unwilling to be subjugated.
He's correct to say that honor has little to do with what we think of as right and wrong. He's not exactly correct when he says that it is a property of certain classes and foreign to others. Even peasants have honor, and they'll happily sue--or kill--one another over it. But early modern Germany isn't a class society, it's a society of Staende (the singular is Stand), "estates," "social segments." Artisans, soldiers, nobles, college students, guild members, etc. Each is in its place, and--except for dishonorable trades like shepherds and executioners, etc--each has its honor.

quote:

To drive home the point that they were not only socially but physically different, the small group of gentlemen controlling society structured every aspect of English culture to reinforce the message that they were above the common masses. "The way this was done," explains Dr. Banks, "was through the repetition of acts that constantly emphasized that a gentleman was distinctly and qualitatively different." Gentlemen, for instance, always served as officers in the military and were granted certain privileges, such as the ability to take quarters outside of camp and an exemption from physical punishments like flogging.
Many officers are also noble, but many are not. Some common soldiers are nobles. The two do not necessarily go together. Also, the authorities are very reluctant to flog soldiers, because it's important to keep them happy, but officers will sometimes try to beat them up, and if they really want to make it sting they'll do it with their rod of office. But that isn't a dishonoring punishment, the dishonoring punishments are known and marked out, and if you receive them you can't be a soldier any more. Most involve contact with the executioner. If you get tortured they might kick you out of your company because an executioner has touched you.

quote:

Challenges to honor most often came from inside the gentlemanly order. The world of the upper classes was a competitive world, where men jockeyed for position and recognition from authority, leading to strange power relationships. At all times, men tried to uphold their honor and show that they deserved a position amongst society's elite, meaning that disrespect could not be tolerated socially or else they would be seen as lacking the manly strength to resist subjugation, and therefore lose their social capital. In this culture, a disrespectful gesture in itself was cause for a gentleman to defend his honor via pistols - since no one, the logic went, disrespects a man who is considered respectable.
The example the dude uses is pretty over-thought-out for my guys, but the sentiment is more or less the same.

quote:

Throughout the course of Dishonored, the leaders of the Loyalist Conspiracy regard Corvo with a formal friendliness - but they don't treat him with respect. Despite his centrality to the Loyalist plans, Corvo's attic room in the Hound Pits is the worst in the building, both dirtier and in poorer repair than the servant's quarters. Even though he was formally Lord Protector and the Loyalists know the title was unfairly stripped from him, he is the only noble in the conspiracy that everyone - even the servants - refers to by first name. Worse still, they order him around like a servant, sending him out on dangerous missions to do the conspiracy's dirtiest wetwork, that is, when he's not delivering messages or filling whale oil tanks. None of these examples are acceptable treatment of an aristocrat of Corvo's stature, especially one who is part of the Empress's inner circle. But of course, there's the rub: the Empress is dead, and her assassination occurred on Corvo's watch. Though he is entirely innocent of her murder, Corvo is still publicly disgraced by his failure to protect Jessamine, and due to that failure his social status appears to have been downgraded. Under the code of honor he is no longer a gentleman
No. My dudes would think he was still a gentleman, because you get your status from your birth or as a reward for services rendered. He is just a gentleman who is being treated with gross disrespect by his comrades, and if he were one of my guys he would get incredibly loving pissy about it.

quote:

The type of fighting that the Loyalists order Corvo to perform precludes him from regaining his status as a gentleman, since his missions force him to further stain his character. According to Dr. Banks, in the 18th and 19th century mind, "Honorable combat is about equal combat."...Regardless of how the player approaches missions in Dishonored, Corvo never fights fair. He stabs people from behind. He snipes guards long-distance. He uses booby traps and magic. Shockingly to an 18th century mind, he rifles through people's private correspondence. In short, the already-disgraced Corvo does all the tasks the blue bloods of the Loyalist Conspiracy are unable to perform because it might sully their reputations.... Corvo isn't interested in respecting his opponents. He's not a gentleman, but a killer crawling through the sewers. "Corvo," says Dr. Banks, "seems to be the exemplar of everything an English man of honor would despise."
lol nope. You fight to win. gently caress the other guy. Duelling is about equal combat, but if it's not a duel, you try to kill him. You couldn't engage in 17th century combat--especially during the 40s, which was full of guerrilla fighting--if you hedged yourself about with artificial bullshit like this.

There is one exception to this, and that's the officer who told the Margrave of Hesse, "If you were not my lord," that is if I were not a mercenary in your employ, "I would lie in wait for my enemy and just jump him on the street." Another guy got into a legal quarrel with another officer after the latter told him "If you had no lord you could go from fair to fair cutting purses." It seems that if you are not employed you can do things that when you are employed are dishonorable. It seems that at least some of the officers took the bond between employer and mercenary as a serious moral obligation.

quote:

And that's the interesting part, of course, because Corvo isn't English. Or rather, he's not from Gristol like the other members of the conspiracy. Corvo hails from Serkonos, a southern island filled with grapes and dates, with sunny beaches and trade links to the East. Due to the island's description and place names, as well as the name "Corvo" itself - which means "crow" in Italian, and can mean either "crow" or "raven" in Portuguese - Serkonos seems to be Mediterranean in nature, which opens up an exciting line of inquiry in our discussion of honorable combat.
Nobody has ever either said or implied that "members of [ethnic group I don't like] have no honor," unless those people are also non-Christian, and even then it's complicated. There are pissy little slapfights in the Imperial officer corps between "Germans" (people from modern southern Germany and Austria) and Italians, but that's not one of the insults levied.

In short, this reminds me of how bushido got super strict and elaborate once it was no longer relevant to anything in the real world. The honor culture described in this article is elaborate, strict, and overworked--it isn't shared by the people I study, who are killing one another on a regular basis and also trying to stay alive and sane in the middle of the largest war (proportionally) that Europe has ever seen.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's a really interesting writeup, thanks!

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008
I've been reading Ensign Expendable's blog and came across a common thing regarding Nazi vehicles. They seem to be addicted to renaming poo poo, especially captured gear, over and over and over. The article about the Marder that used captured Soviet guns said it was renamed 10 times. Did other contemporary militaries do this, or was it just another organizational Nazi clusterfuck?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

bewbies posted:

So I am almost done with baby's first book about the Crusades.

It seems like in most cases, the Franks tended to get the better of the Muslims in combat on a man-for-man basis: most of the Muslim victories were when the Franks did something dumb and got themselves badly outnumbered, surrounded, cut off from water, or something else silly like that. 1) is this perception accurate, and 2) if it is, why?

This is from a few pages back but I will say that that is an extremely simplistic view of things. First of all it should be stressed that good numbers aren't always easy to come by for medieval battles, especially earlier ones. Second that it really depends on the situation which side will benefit and in that case superior or inferior numbers may not count for as much. The best example of that would be when Saladin was defeated at Montgisard as a couple of hundred knights came upon Saladin's larger force in narrow quarters (and I think under heavy mist so were essentially undetected) and shattered it with their charge, an example of the Muslims (Saladin) blundering and being handed a crushing defeat. Hattin (where the nunbers were in the Muslims' favor but not vastly so, though Saladin had many more mounted men) would then be an example of a Frankish blunder and subsequent defeat.

Of all the Crusades it was only really the First Crusade that was truly successful and in many of its earlier battles the First Crusaders significantly outnumbered their foes, at least until they had crossed Anatolia. After the battle of Dorylaeum Frankish accounts are full of praise for the Seljuk Turks they fought there, who were outnumbered by the Franks and seriously threatened Bohemond's forces, though Bohemond kept his army together until the rest of the Crusader forces arrived (undetected by the Turks who thought they faced the main host, again an example of a blunder leading to a defeat) and scattered the Turks. Then at the battle of Antioch it seems like the various Turkish rulers who showed up essentially fough each other when they were besieging the Crusaders and were then swept aside when the Crusaders emerged from the city as a unified force.

The last point goes a long way to explain early Frankish success as there was no unified Muslim response to the Crusades for many years to come. The Seljuk empire had essentially broken up into a bewildering array of successor states in Syria, Iraq and Iran, in Egypt the Fatimid Caliphate had essentially become a highly unstable military dictatorship that was further weakened by having the Kingdom of Jerusalem on its doorstep. Figures such as Saladin, Nur al-Din and Zengi did reintroduce jihad (maybe even reinvent as it was now to reclaim lost Muslim sites) to fight against the Franks, but all of these actually spent more of their time fighting against other Muslim states than they did fighting the Crusaders. Their domestic situation was also pretty tenuous, they depended militarily mostly on elite Turkish slave soldiers and a military aristocracy associated with these, in the absence of victory a ruler could quickly find himself in a dangerous position as regards his army (eventually Saladin's dynasty, the Ayyubids were overthrown by their Turkish soldiers and officers).

As for the Crusaders they seem to have known that the odds were against them should the Muslims make common cause against them. They couldn't necessarily divide and rule very effectively as they weren't quite so powerful to make use of this, but at times they did ally with weaker Muslim states against the more powerful ones, though at other times they tried to pounce on the weaker ones such as Damascus during the Second Crusade which ended in a disaster. For the most part the Franks saw that giving battle to the Muslims was simply to risky and they basically resorted to positional warfare. Using fortified castles to take and hold ground and to tie up and pin down invading Muslim armies rather than engaging them directly. When an army besieging a castle was met by a relief army (and at its height Jerusalem could field a respectable, though not very large army) it usually retired rather than risk being caught between the castle and the army. This cautious nature of the Franks is noted by Muslim writers who considered it both a weakness and a strength as it made the Franks difficult to decisively defeat but it also meant that the Franks very rarely managed to seize upon their victories against the Muslims because of the risks involved (Hattin demonstrates the disaster of losing the army).

I'm sorry if this isn't a straight answer to your question other than a way to say "things were a bit more complicated than that" in way too many words.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
A governor of South Carolina wrote a manual on aristocratic dueling, which you can read on Project Gutenberg.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GAIL posted:

In short, this reminds me of how bushido got super strict and elaborate once it was no longer relevant to anything in the real world. The honor culture described in this article is elaborate, strict, and overworked--it isn't shared by the people I study, who are killing one another on a regular basis and also trying to stay alive and sane in the middle of the largest war (proportionally) that Europe has ever seen.

Thanks for doing this and for using this specific example. I found the article really interesting (it jumped out at me that the Professor in the article is describing people in some sort of participatory caste system) and then later I read a book on the Samurai and it emphasized how the Bushido code as we know it is a lot like how we think of cowboys today, IE it creates a myth even as the real subject fades away.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

Thanks for doing this and for using this specific example. I found the article really interesting (it jumped out at me that the Professor in the article is describing people in some sort of participatory caste system) and then later I read a book on the Samurai and it emphasized how the Bushido code as we know it is a lot like how we think of cowboys today, IE it creates a myth even as the real subject fades away.
more precisely, when these guys have more time on their hands they can use that time to romanticize their situation and what they thought their situation would have been like in the idealized past. it's also easier to romanticize your life when fewer people are tying to murder you for real. actual samurai were hard af, the people who got really into bushido worked in a loving bank in nineteen ten

edit: when people are actually living according to a code like this, which has grown up organically as part of a culture, it's complicated and flexible, because it's real life and the way you live must respond to the exigencies of your life. when people invent a code for themselves and decide to follow it, it gets artificial-looking like that, in my opinion.

edit 2: something just struck me, which is that written duelling codes existed in the early modern period as well, just somewhat later than my specialty (i think). so part of the difference may be that i am focusing on the way people live rather than on formal codes. it's possible that early modern italy or whatever would look just as strict and ossified if i focused on their written texts, and that 19th century england would look just as complicated and messy if i focused on the daily lives of upper class gentlemen.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 20, 2017

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I've been watching some Band of Brother's clips on Youtube, was Sobel as bad as he seemed? Was he at all effective as a instructor?

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

AmishSpecialForces posted:

I've been reading Ensign Expendable's blog and came across a common thing regarding Nazi vehicles. They seem to be addicted to renaming poo poo, especially captured gear, over and over and over. The article about the Marder that used captured Soviet guns said it was renamed 10 times. Did other contemporary militaries do this, or was it just another organizational Nazi clusterfuck?

The weirdest Nazi ersatz klepto-tank was a captured Soviet T-26 converted to a tank destroyer and armed with a captured French 75mm Mle 1897 field gun that's been converted to a mediocre AT gun. They called it the 7.5 сm Pak 97/38(f) auf Pz.740(r) and only built 10, which were only in service for 3 months.

http://ftr.wot-news.com/2013/10/16/french-guns-on-german-tanks/

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
3 months is plenty of time to rename it a few times!

The British renamed some vehicles, I guess, but I can't think of anyone but the Germans overriding their own name.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

I've been watching some Band of Brother's clips on Youtube, was Sobel as bad as he seemed? Was he at all effective as a instructor?

Do you mean the real-life person, or how he was depicted in the show? In the miniseries, Sobel is clearly a very effective instructor. He drives them hard and they hate him, but they rise to his challenge and develop as soldiers under his instruction. To the extent of preparing the men for action, he is as responsible for their survival and success in combat as any character on the show. At the same time, he's not really competent to command them in the field. He's indecisive, he doesn't understand maneuver, he can't read maps, etc. The show gives the character a lot of credit as an instructor but none as a leader of men.

IRL, I don't know. The miniseries follows Stephen Ambrose's book pretty closely, and that was all based on first-person interviews, after-action reports, and so forth. I did not read the book; I did watch the series; I don't know how factual any of it is. I will point out one thing I definitely noticed the show failing to seriously address: Sobel was Jewish. I can't believe that his background didn't have a significant effect on his relationship with people above and below him in the chain of command, particularly given the elite nature of airborne troops. For example, maybe the soldiers that Ambrose interviewed all said that he was an unlikable martinet, and refused to serve under him, mainly because they resented taking orders from a Jew, and they later found reasons to justify it. It isn't at all implausible, given the default level of antisemitism of American society in the 1940s.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

HEY GAIL posted:

more precisely, when these guys have more time on their hands they can use that time to romanticize their situation and what they thought their situation would have been like in the idealized past. it's also easier to romanticize your life when fewer people are tying to murder you for real. actual samurai were hard af, the people who got really into bushido worked in a loving bank in nineteen ten

edit: when people are actually living according to a code like this, which has grown up organically as part of a culture, it's complicated and flexible, because it's real life and the way you live must respond to the exigencies of your life. when people invent a code for themselves and decide to follow it, it gets artificial-looking like that, in my opinion.

edit 2: something just struck me, which is that written duelling codes existed in the early modern period as well, just somewhat later than my specialty (i think). so part of the difference may be that i am focusing on the way people live rather than on formal codes. it's possible that early modern italy or whatever would look just as strict and ossified if i focused on their written texts, and that 19th century england would look just as complicated and messy if i focused on the daily lives of upper class gentlemen.

I think you are being unduly harsh on these systems of belief. Elaborate and convoluted systems of etiquette and codes of honor may look ridiculous from our position. However if you're an impoverished samurai barely surviving by teaching merchant kids to read and write or the third son of a minor English aristocrat looking for an advantageous marriage, knowing all those little rules might be the only way you have to assert your status. Losing that status can destroy your livelihood alongside your honor.

In Yanomamö society anthropologist Napoleon Chagnon wrote that duels are almost all about projecting an image of strength. Men who turn away from insults get a reputation for weakness, and soon become targets. Their wives and female relatives will be kidnapped and while they and their brothers will be sought out and killed. By some estimates Yanomamö civilization was the most violent society on earth, with 45% of adult males in one survey having killed at least one person. Showing everyone that you are brave and aggressive enough to fight at the slightest provocation is simply being practical. If you can kill your opponent in the duel even better, he's not going to come back looking for revenge.

None of this matters for 19th century aristocrats, so it would be absurd to expect them to behave in a similar way. The challenges of their life are completely different, although competition for social status remains the same. Competing for office is real life, and actually killing your opponent while you prove your honor (as the protagonist of the film Ridicule found out) is more likely to cause you trouble than make you more secure. If you don't know all the inane little rules that govern honorable behavior, you're probably not a real gentleman anyway., and rivals for status are sure to point it out.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

Do you mean the real-life person, or how he was depicted in the show? In the miniseries, Sobel is clearly a very effective instructor. He drives them hard and they hate him, but they rise to his challenge and develop as soldiers under his instruction. To the extent of preparing the men for action, he is as responsible for their survival and success in combat as any character on the show. At the same time, he's not really competent to command them in the field. He's indecisive, he doesn't understand maneuver, he can't read maps, etc. The show gives the character a lot of credit as an instructor but none as a leader of men.

IRL, I don't know. The miniseries follows Stephen Ambrose's book pretty closely, and that was all based on first-person interviews, after-action reports, and so forth. I did not read the book; I did watch the series; I don't know how factual any of it is. I will point out one thing I definitely noticed the show failing to seriously address: Sobel was Jewish. I can't believe that his background didn't have a significant effect on his relationship with people above and below him in the chain of command, particularly given the elite nature of airborne troops. For example, maybe the soldiers that Ambrose interviewed all said that he was an unlikable martinet, and refused to serve under him, mainly because they resented taking orders from a Jew, and they later found reasons to justify it. It isn't at all implausible, given the default level of antisemitism of American society in the 1940s.

I don't have the specifics on this, but from what I recall, Ambrose's interviews with people were often fairly selective and he didn't really bother to contextualize those interviews or put much legwork into critically analyzing what people told him. So while some parts of it might reflect views guys actually had, it's questionable whether those perceptions really match the reality of the situation.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

HEY GAIL posted:

British honour culture is a fairly old institution, and has its roots in 16th century Italian courtesy books like Castiglione's Book of the Courtier. Dueling over it takes more formal forms over the centuries but as far as I can tell, British gentlemen have been huge babies about their honour from the beginning. One of the worst insults you could lay down was to accuse someone of lying, and while it's a banal read, my guess is people took it very personally because everyone was constantly flat broke and in debt.

Echopapa's gutenberg link includes an Irish dueling code from 1777 (so way after your period) and while it is convoluted and prescriptive, it also allows everyone involved a fair amount of leeway in negotiating their particular case. To me it reads a lot like a "best practices" article that addresses fairly practical issues one might run into when setting up a duel.

But you're not wrong in that dueling as Banks describes it is a peacetime hobby. Both he and Billacois assert that duels become less popular when there's an actual war to stab people in.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Considering how loath military filmmakers are to touch matters of prejudice, I think BoB did allright. We see Guarnere(I think) stating that he doesn't want to fight next to Sobel because Sobel is a jew.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I would say discussing prejudice is a common theme throughout war films. There have been films about the Buffalo soldiers, the 442nd infantry, etc. Definitely a common theme in Vietnam war movies. Crimson Tide is one of my favorites and is absolutely about race.

Rah rah war films from the 40s and 50s can be examined in retrospect for exhibiting racist views common at the time

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

Don Gato posted:

I'm willing to believe what he said about the Arditti, because they are basically German Shock Troops, who were effective if you look at a mission by mission basis. It's just a tactic that doesn't scale up well, due to killing all your best soldiers very quickly.

HEY GAIL posted:

italians love the ice pick grip for some reason

I've seen depictions of ice pick grip longsword and arming sword. I don't remember where the drawing is from.

Suddenly remembered that the bloke told us that the pictures of the soldiers have some knives in ice pick and some in forward grips. And he emphasised this was a martial art to be taught in a few weeks, not over years like the knife fighting he'd taught earlier that day.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Yo hazzard what is this fight camp and tell us more because that sounded kind of cool

It's an event run by one of the Larger HEMA groups in the UK [ducks tomatoes]. Lots of people in the thread have said they don't like HEMA in the past. Considering the rows on the Facebook groups, I can see why.

There were lots of classes on various weapons and martial arts. I may make an effort post summarising it in the fencing thread later.

Some interesting facts I learnt. In the 19th century British Army, before some reforms, Officers would use any blade they wanted, as long as it had a regulation hilt. This went as far as one officer attaching a 17th century Spanish Rapier hilt to his saber guard. I'm sure Hey Gal will be simultaneously thrilled and horrified to hear it.

Naval officers really liked broadsword blades, we don't know why.

And apparently the Rebel Yell from the American Civil War came from the Highland Cry, which was used in the Jacobite Wars. Can somebody tell me the significance of the Rebel Yell?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hazzard posted:

Some interesting facts I learnt. In the 19th century British Army, before some reforms, Officers would use any blade they wanted, as long as it had a regulation hilt. This went as far as one officer attaching a 17th century Spanish Rapier hilt to his saber guard. I'm sure Hey Gal will be simultaneously thrilled and horrified to hear it.
Here's some examples of the blades Wilkinson offered on their swords: http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?101383-Wilkinson-Blade-Types

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hazzard posted:

thrilled yes, horrified no: there's a lot of hand protection with the cup hilt, i just don't really like the spanish quillions