Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I keep finding Phillip K dick books at used book stores. Really good condition and all of them the new printings with the lines of the spine so they look good all together on the shelf. And not his famous stuff, his less popular stuff like The Solar Lottery and Now Wait for Tomorrow

The problem is that I don't like to read two books by the same author back to back. So now I have a growing stack of Phillip K dick books I can't read until I buy other books by other writers and read them inbetween

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

A guy who works in a different department is pretty nice but kind of dim.
I almost never see him but when I do he tries to rope me into whatever MLM he's latched onto.

I can't be mean to him because he's not a bad dude but jeez.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Inzombiac posted:

A guy who works in a different department is pretty nice but kind of dim.
I almost never see him but when I do he tries to rope me into whatever MLM he's latched onto.

I can't be mean to him because he's not a bad dude but jeez.

If someone's trying to scam you, they're a bad dude.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I need to go to the shops but I don't feel like it. If I don't go today I'm going to have to go tomorrow, and it's a public holiday so they may not be open.

Cowslips Warren posted:

edit: My pizza was undercooked and too much sauce was slathered on. Maybe because I got the pan crust.

And now I want pizza :argh:

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

Friend wants me to read the book series Mistborn, so I have enough of a grasp of it so she can GM a new rpg. I told her to sum up the basic poo poo for me, because it can't be that hard, right? I mean, poo poo, you can sum up Game of Thrones with a civil war of a dozen families. Instead I got two hours of 'well if you work with Tin then you can PUSH this.' And there's like a dozen different metals and each has their own use and then there's like a dozen more dual-user poo poo.

Whoa whoa whoa. Tin makes you see things better, my dude. That's where that old reverse image search thing got its name from (Tineye)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I know the predictive nature of it is poo poo, but on a whim I decided to load google maps and see just what I would be dealing with on Thursday, when I have to go into the city (Chicago) for something.

The estimated time is 1hr to 2hrs-and-20-min. :negative:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sunswipe posted:

If someone's trying to scam you, they're a bad dude.

I'd agree but he's not smart enough to realize that he's getting scammed as well.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm guessing from the way your talking about it that he's just smart enough to rationalise why he didn't get scammed, or have you just not tried to tell him?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm guessing from the way your talking about it that he's just smart enough to rationalise why he didn't get scammed, or have you just not tried to tell him?

You may be right. I tried to steer him away and he kept defending it with the Ol', "It's not like those ones you've heard about."

Dude, it's Amway. It's like the only one I've heard about.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I once worked for a legit company, in that they had government contracts to do their door-to-door stuff because they needed to make sure everyone's insulation was up to the new standards (If not they got a free upgrade) but they functioned like an MLM despite me never giving them money directly so it made no sense to. They were 100% commission based despite advertising the job with a flat rate, they had a lovely little one-room office as their entire headquarters with no furniture, just a single table and a cd player on the windowsill. Thy were claiming "Oh we don't want to spend unnecessary money" but part of me hopes that they were secretly hiding being severely underpaid themselves because the assholes were constantly making excuses "Oh, you just need to get better at the job and you'll start making some commission!" and those old talking points instead of admitting that their model was nonsensical at best.

I literally made no money those three months, and quit because I literally could no longer even afford the train/bus fares to get to the sites. Happily I accidentally scared off a new recruit by admitting to her when we were alone "Oh I've been here three months and made gently caress all" causing her to just wander off and go home. After I left I immediately stopped regretting that and was glad I'd done it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's a Chinese movie right now called Wolf Warriors 2 that's breaking all kinds of box office records while probably never coming out in the US. Last year there was a Stephen Chow movie called The Mermaid that did similar numbers. We're getting left behind without even knowing it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

clockwork chaos posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. Tin makes you see things better, my dude. That's where that old reverse image search thing got its name from (Tineye)

drat, I always misread that as Tinyeye.

My coworker is a pretty fun guy but he is rude as gently caress to people and it's starting to get on my nerves. It's not at work so it's not like customers will complain, but still.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
My desk at work isn't big enough

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm not prone to anxiety at all. I've been in near death experiences and kept my poo poo together.

The news is making my chest feel like it's caving in. I cannot comprehend how we can continue on like this.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, same.

This is more of a real problem but my neighbors keep drinking in the street and they don't let me sleep. I've called the police twice tonight. Nothing happens. Assholes.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
I'ts nice and warm during the week while I work and come Friday afternoon it will start to rain, dropping the temperature in the night to almost 0°C.

Also I'm currently on a physical PC, using a virtual PC to access my Laptop (that's in another part of the company) remotely.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The barista overfilled my coffee so little rivulets of coffee kept leaking out from under the lid as i was walking back to the lab. Just before I got there the cardboard sleeve pulled a part because one rivulets had soaked it through even though I'd been dabbing all the ones I saw with a tissue.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Didn't realise I'd set my discord to a secondary email that I never used, so had to recreate a new account with my actual email, as I wasn't receiving notifications.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I had planned, in advance, for the traffic I'd likely experience between where I live and where I'm going, tonight.

Now, I'm sitting at a Starbucks, burning off an hour and change, because my planned-for traffic isn't as severe as the actually-seems-to-be-happening traffic. I can't even just leave early, because I'd have to pay for earlier parking than I already have, and I already have a slightly over-allocated buffer between my park time and the beginning of the event I'm seeing.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 21:45 on Aug 17, 2017

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My phone is blowing up with class notifications cause the professor is changing the due date for every single assignment and exam

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
I engorged myself with pizza and now Im fatter and more alone with bad acid reflux

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I had to argue over the phone for two full hours, non stop, to convince a client they can't simply bend over when a local public office (who has a vendetta against them) demands something, but rather ask why they're demanding something to see if they have a legal leg to stand on.

(Just imagine I posted several random tweets from this Twitter account.)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
It's half past ten in the morning, for the first time in months it's cool enough that I can have my windows open and not feel like a steak on a barbecue.

A car alarm has been going off in the distance for the last twenty minutes, causing the downstairs neighbour's dogs to keep barking at it :shepicide:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
:v: "Oh hey I saw you training in (other department) yesterday, if you want more hours I can just give you more hours, but you have to change your very reasonable availability!"
:j: "Oh hey thanks, more hours would be nice, but I'm not training because I want more shifts, I'm training because I hate literally everything about the position I'm in and I've been trying to get out of it for nearly two years! That's why I keep bugging you to let me train elsewhere!"
:eng99: "Oh.."

That's pretty much how my conversation with the general manager went the other day. For nearly two years I've been begging him and all the other managers to transfer me out of this department and I keep getting shot down because I'm too good at what I do and can't be replaced. The problem is, what I do makes me absolutely miserable, and I only stick around because I'm a fat sad depressed goon that's too lazy to find a different job.

:sigh:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Saw fat instructors at a gym. No thanks.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I met a fat nutritionist once, and natch she was insisting anyone who did not follow her brand of woo was doing it wrong, and bringing it up all the time (in a nonprofessional setting). Lady, te cure ipsam.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Nutritionists aren't a real profession or legally protected title. Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. What you want is a registered dietitian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRqB5-egs1s

If "dietitian" is like "dentist", then "nutritionist" is like "toothiologist".

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Kuiperdolin posted:

I met a fat nutritionist once, and natch she was insisting anyone who did not follow her brand of woo was doing it wrong, and bringing it up all the time (in a nonprofessional setting). Lady, te cure ipsam.

Ask her about the importance of Himalayan salt, and how toxic table salt is.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I brought in my desktop to work today because I expected a 12 hour shift with no work load due to bad weather. The weather has cleared up within 2.5 hours of starting my shift. Now I will probably only get paid to play 6 or 8 hours of video games

Also an alarm for our ATIS system went off and it goes audible every hour so I have to ack it every hour

EvenWorseOpinions has a new favorite as of 16:58 on Aug 20, 2017

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Nutritionists aren't a real profession or legally protected title. Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. What you want is a registered dietitian.

Depends where you live. Here the prefered term is nutritionist and while both terms are protected they don't like being called dietitian since they want to be seen as more than people that give you a diet so you lose weight.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That's what they are though :v:

My FWP: I finished both World War I Day by Day books written by a goon, he hasn't finished the third yet, and I'm jonesing for more Barathas bitching about his superiors :arghfist::saddowns:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My gross co-worker has now taken to picking his nose, lazily rolling up the boogers and tossing them at the feet of his chair.

I WANT TO loving DIE.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm experiencing an esoteric form of buyer's remorse. I'm not upset that I bought a new computer game, since it was on sale and I've been waiting for a while, plus I realized that a chunk of what I thought was DLC was baked into the main game... but I just don't want to play it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

MisterBibs posted:

I'm experiencing an esoteric form of buyer's remorse. I'm not upset that I bought a new computer game, since it was on sale and I've been waiting for a while, plus I realized that a chunk of what I thought was DLC was baked into the main game... but I just don't want to play it.

We call that Steam Sale Syndrome.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

We haven't even owned this house for two months and it's like the appliances are dying one by one, first the heat pump, then the washer, and the dishwasher may be next.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

queserasera posted:

We haven't even owned this house for two months and it's like the appliances are dying one by one, first the heat pump, then the washer, and the dishwasher may be next.

You could get an electrician to check the voltage of your service, if it was drastically too high or too low it could do that. Or it could just be coincidence

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

A client really liked my design and barely had any revisions.

However, all the small things they want to change are what make it interesting to look at.

Whatever. I'm not paid for my opinions :negative:

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

starkebn posted:

You could get an electrician to check the voltage of your service, if it was drastically too high or too low it could do that. Or it could just be coincidence

The day after we moved in, we took the multimeter to all the appliances. Everything seemed okay but I'm not the technical one in the relationship. :downs: Maybe we should get an electrician to give it a once-over. New houses should not be this hard. :saddowns:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Malachite_Dragon posted:

We call that Steam Sale Syndrome.

I guess, but it's this weird schizophrenic duality of wanting to play it and simultaneously not wanting to. I can watch videos or Let's Plays of it, but deciding to actually hit play on my own? Nah.

Late edit for content: skin is peeling off both index fingers. The edges between oldskin and newskin are catching on stuff, peeling it manually is gross feeling, and the newskin isn't 100% ready for prime time anyway.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 21:55 on Aug 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

The main screen or lock screen or whatever you call it on Windows 10 has gorgeous backgrounds, but there is always a little box in the corner saying "[Do you like what you see?]"
The only options are yes or no, not a single option for "Yes, so shut the gently caress up and get off my screen."
Now it seems they're putting more text boxes on the screen, trivia and whatnot. God drat it, I don't care, just show me the pretty picture while I log in.
If there is a way to turn off this "feature," I'd love to hear it. I doubt it though because haha Windows 10.