Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

13Pandora13 posted:

What world do you live in where an HR department has access to another competing company's Loss Runs? There's no reason anything about a property loss experienced by a company would come up in a background check for an individual. That's not how insurance works.

I didn't say it would come up in an individual background check did I? I said this is a documented incident that the hiring company will be able to find out about if they do their due diligence and if it is really any kind of thing anyone cares about at all. They don't need a loss run.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Report: There Just Something Dark And Intriguing About Man With Serious Personality Disorder

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What happens with the other kids? Will he be going to all their events but not this new child's? Will he be forcing this new child to have dinner separately? How is this arrangement supposed to work?

tiffany trump

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What happens with the other kids? Will he be going to all their events but not this new child's? Will he be forcing this new child to have dinner separately? How is this arrangement supposed to work?

Don't be obtuse like you've never seen an attic retard before

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Pick, probably posted:

This, but unironically

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
No, you see, women are supposed to teach them how to feel their feelings, because women are better at feelings by virtue of being women. This is somehow not insanely offensive to all involved.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Every time I hear about someone like this guy who has an accidental pregnancy because they didn't understand very well about fertility (which I can sympathize with, because my sex education was in a Southern state and lol ) and didn't educate themselves better about birth control and fertility (especially by 45 with three children, what the gently caress), I just shake my head and wish I could just send them this loving picture because that poo poo is way more preventable than people realize: (Spoilered cuz I guess a medical diagram of a dong might be NWS)

For example, I am friends with a married couple who as far as they told me were using a fertility calendar only because they wanted to be all natural, and yup, they had to unexpected children in 8 years, right on the nose. Two very loved and well cared for children, happily, but the parents never realized how much control they potentially did or did not have over the situation.
If you have a normal sex life and get an IUD, it would take you approximately 100 years to get pregnant, statistically speaking, and if you combined that with another method like condoms or even withdrawal, that's what, 500 years? Assuming this guy went with just birth control starting when he was 35...that's a 63% chance that she would have had another pregnancy by this year. And just lol that they went off condoms when she became pre-menopausal because they thought that meant she was now infertile (even more lol worthy that it was "my wife told me" not "the doctor told us"). It's just so depressingly preventable.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Well, the main advantage of the very safe methods is that they make it hard to mess up. With an IUD or sterilization, you don't have to do anything for years after you get it or forever.

With the less safe methods, the number one cause of unintended pregnancies is people not using it consistently. If you do use it consistently, most things in the bottom box there have a failure rate below 5% per year, which is still not nothing, so if you really hate the thought of having a baby you better double up.

The problem is that nobody believes they'll mess it up. Nobody says "I better get an IUD because I'm to flakey to take a pill every day". And that's how approximately one in two babies is an unintended pregnancy.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pick posted:

Context for funtimes friends: a poster was claiming I was promoting child rape and how triggering it was for them. When I told them to go back and look at my art and point out where anything was like that ever, they had to admit they hadn't actually read it and when they did that there was no such content there. I told them to cry to their therapist because it was clear their issue had nothing to do with me, which as it turned out, was literally true, because their attempt to brand me a promoter of child rape was based on, and this is an important detail here, a completely made-up perception of art they hadn't looked at. Flip the genders and all of gbs'd have been on my side. this is apparently the worst thing I've ever done in over 8 years and 50,000+ posts.

Wasn't that poster also posting a garbage webcomic that was going through a rape storyline at the time too

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Catalina posted:

(even more lol worthy that it was "my wife told me" not "the doctor told us")

I missed this in the first reading. That woman wanted another baby and was too afraid to tell her husband that she wanted another baby so she lied about being infertile.

And yeah, that family is gonna implode, doubly so if the baby has a genetic disorder- 1 in 100 chance of Downs at age 40 and 1 in 10 chance at age 49.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The wife is only 42, and they're clearly just both too dumb to grasp the "pre" in "premenopausal"

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

COMRADES posted:

I didn't say it would come up in an individual background check did I? I said this is a documented incident that the hiring company will be able to find out about if they do their due diligence and if it is really any kind of thing anyone cares about at all. They don't need a loss run.

due dilligence? they're not acquiring the other company

not surprised the dude with a tankie avatar doesn't understand how companies work

(FL) Officer threw my license in my face after lecturing me about speeding and weaving in and out of traffic. (I was not) After he threw my ID back at me, I asked for his badge number. He then asked for my ID back and then issued me a careless driving ticket. (self.legaladvice)

quote:

As the title says, I was on the highway and traffic was going slow. Like 50mhp in a 65mph. Cop was behind someone going 50/55mph and I went passed and kept a VERY close watch on my speed. I switched lanes maybe 3 or 4 times with him still behind me. I used turn signal every time. After about 2 miles he flies up on me and pulls me over. As he approach my car he's already yelling about me doing 80mph and reckless driving in a heavy down pour. Rain had stopped minute before. I was not feeling good about the situation so after he took my ID and he returned to his car. I started to record on my cell phone.

This is on video: he returns and asking if I have ever been arrested, if I've had tickets, what for and how many. After another minute or so he sarcastically says have a nice day and threw my ID in my face. I felt completely disrespected and pissed at this piont. I ask for his badge number and he kept walking and got into his car. I pulled my phone out to try and get a car number or something and he then sees my cell phone. He then returns and asked what I just said to him. I ask again for his #, he gives it and ask for my ID back. After 10min or so he then returns with a careless driving ticket.

I have filed a complaint online already.
Any advice would greatly be appreciated!

(turns out an officer's behavior has no bearing on whether they can write you a ticket, and legaladvice basically tells OP they can make a complaint but the ticket will still be valid)

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

PSA for all the testicle bearers of this thread: if a woman under 50 years old tells you she's to old to get pregnant and has had problems with infertility in the past anyway, you still need to wrap your dick up because she can probably still get pregnant.
Actually if any woman under 50 tells you she can't get pregnant without laying out a clear and convincing reasoning as to why that is so, don't believe her.

E: unless you want a baby I guess, no judgement here

pidan fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 20, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Is dating a meritocracy? (self.dating_advice)

quote:

I'm just going into college, and I've been feeling pretty desperate for a physical connection with someone lately (not necessarily sex, just cuddling or holding hands would do). I've been trying to become less desperate, but all the online articles that I've found say things along the lines of "you need to recognize the qualities that are good about yourself."

The thing is, I do. I completely acknowledge that I am decently smart, decently attractive, caring and empathetic (sometimes to a fault) and that I truly do value people that I'm close to. I'm not perfect, but I'm perfectly datable.

The problem is that that doesn't mean I'll get dates. Sure, I'll ask, but there's no guarantee that anyone will say yes to a first date. There's no guarantee that anyone will want a second or third date. And there's no guarantee that anyone who does want all those things would be a compatible partner for me.

I'm not saying there should be guarantees for those things. That's not how the world works. But I guess I just feel that no matter how good I might be, there's still no guarantee that that will mean anything.

"Is it true that I'm smart and have money, but sometimes women won't gently caress me? I find this highly problematic"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

maskenfreiheit posted:

Is dating a meritocracy? (self.dating_advice)

"Is it true that I'm smart and have money, but sometimes women won't gently caress me? I find this highly problematic"

I feel like if this is a wuestion you need to ask reddit for help on you legally shouldnt be able to call yourself smart.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

fruit on the bottom posted:

Content.

I'm [29F] the Maid of Honour for my sister's [31F] wedding. Had an argument and she's kicked me out of her bridal party. What should I do?

Why is she so worried about what her abusive sister that she doesn't like even think. Why didn't she say gently caress off when asked to be
MoH? Why is she now upset about getting kicked out of a toxic wedding party? Argh.

Also, young mom should probably put her husband out of his misery.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Tell Racist Adult Son that if he wants to keep his money he either has to go to therapy with Woke Dad, or go to every house in Ethnically Diverse Cul-de-sac and calmly lay out his arguments for white supremacy while taking whatever rear end-beating Minority Neighbors want to hand out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

Why is she so worried about what her abusive sister that she doesn't like even think. Why didn't she say gently caress off when asked to be
MoH? Why is she now upset about getting kicked out of a toxic wedding party? Argh.

Also, young mom should probably put her husband out of his misery.

Turns out abuse fucks you up but goddamn your older sister bailed on this tire fire you have a role model

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Actually, this was the one at least 4 people independently sent me the link to

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

andrew smash posted:

Tell Racist Adult Son that if he wants to keep his money he either has to go to therapy with Woke Dad, or go to every house in Ethnically Diverse Cul-de-sac and calmly lay out his arguments for white supremacy while taking whatever rear end-beating Minority Neighbors want to hand out.

I feel forcing Charlottesville marchers to sit down with a minority and explain their position would be both beneficial to racial harmony and awkwardly entertaining as poo poo.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Catalina posted:

If you have a normal sex life and get an IUD, it would take you approximately 100 years to get pregnant, statistically speaking, and if you combined that with another method like condoms or even withdrawal, that's what, 500 years? Assuming this guy went with just birth control starting when he was 35...that's a 63% chance that she would have had another pregnancy by this year. And just lol that they went off condoms when she became pre-menopausal because they thought that meant she was now infertile (even more lol worthy that it was "my wife told me" not "the doctor told us"). It's just so depressingly preventable.

Also the condoms have an 18% failure rate because for whatever reason apparently a lot of people have issues putting them on properly. If used right the fail rate is a lot less than that.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

maskenfreiheit posted:

due dilligence? they're not acquiring the other company

not surprised the dude with a tankie avatar doesn't understand how companies work

Listen friendo if an employee did something that ends up on an insurance document then a future employer can find out about it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

COMRADES posted:

Listen friendo if an employee did something that ends up on an insurance document then a future employer can find out about it.

Which is why you should spread rumors about it whenever anybody asks. Also it isn't something "an employee did" it's something "a company scapegoated an employee for".

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

COMRADES posted:

Also the condoms have an 18% failure rate because for whatever reason apparently a lot of people have issues putting them on properly. If used right the fail rate is a lot less than that.

What awful country are we talking about that has condoms with 18% failure rate, because with those odds I'm sure I'd have a lot of children going around.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Which is why you should spread rumors about it whenever anybody asks. Also it isn't something "an employee did" it's something "a company scapegoated an employee for".

However you want to phrase it, the claim was made and the incident is recorded as are the names of the persons involved. If an incident is bad enough, a future employer will find out about it so it does you no good to try and act like it never happened and then get all deer in the headlights if it comes up in the interview.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 20, 2017

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Again I think Liz is probably blowing this "incident" way out of proportion and we're probably talking about a few grand tops but in general do you guys really think that if you were involved with an incident that resulted in the loss of say a $100k+ piece of machinery that no one outside the company is ever going to be able to find out about it?

ZearothK posted:

What awful country are we talking about that has condoms with 18% failure rate, because with those odds I'm sure I'd have a lot of children going around.

Western modernized/industrialized countries. People are just loving idiots.

quote:

While perfect condom use has a 98 percent success rate at preventing pregnancy, errors can increase the risk of breakage, slippage or other condom failure.

From the study, here are the top condom errors:

1. Late application: Between 17 percent and 51.1 percent of people reported putting a condom on after intercourse has already begun. Other studies found that late application happens in 1.5 percent to 24.8 percent of sexual encounters.

2. Early removal: Between 13.6 percent and 44.7 percent of individuals in the studies had taken a condom off before intercourse was over. Other studies found that early removal happens in between 1.4 percent and 26.9 percent of sexual encounters.

So about half of people either put the condom on after they've already started loving or take it off before they finish defeating the entire goddamn point.

Also notable mentions:

quote:

6. Inside-out condoms: Between 4 percent and 30.4 percent of people reported rolling on a condom inside out and then flipping it the other way around, potentially exposing their partner to bodily fluids.

12. Incorrect withdrawal: Failing to promptly and properly withdraw after ejaculation was a common mistake, occurring in up to 57 percent of encounters in one study. About 31 percent of men and 27 percent of women reported this error.

e: due diligence when hiring a new employee obviously

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 20, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ZearothK posted:

Russia, US?

Also its over the course of a year I believe? So its not 18% per incidence of loving but cumulitive.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ZearothK posted:

You need to be blowing your load in a woman for condom failure to result in a child

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I can understand getting going and then having an 'aw gently caress forgot the condom hang on' moment. But who the gently caress thinks 'yeah, five minutes should be enough, I'm gonna take it off and nut in ya. It's cool we used protection'? Wtf.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

COMRADES posted:

that kind of "due dilligence" isn't even used for some security clearances, let alone a private company hiring some lady to run the printing press

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Barudak posted:

Russia, US?

Also its over the course of a year I believe? So its not 18% per incidence of loving but cumulitive.

oooh oooh oooh i know this one

basically if you don't use it right it fails more often

(ex: too large or too small, don't squeeze the tip to let air out etc)

so there's a hypothetical failure rate and a more realistic one

kind of like how full luxury communism where everything is governed by robots is allegedly "the best" but really the best we can probably hope for is everyone actually pays their taxes and we have health care and a strong welfare net like in iceland

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Outrail posted:

I can understand getting going and then having an 'aw gently caress forgot the condom hang on' moment. But who the gently caress thinks 'yeah, five minutes should be enough, I'm gonna take it off and nut in ya. It's cool we used protection'? Wtf.

The real answer is much more sad, it's men tricking women by taking it off when they can't see it. :smith:

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

maskenfreiheit posted:

that kind of "due dilligence" isn't even used for some security clearances, let alone a private company hiring some lady to run the printing press

Okay :shrug:

Either way lady is dumb for being shocked it came up in the interview and then refusing the job just because they are aware of it.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 20, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

maskenfreiheit posted:

While not to the level of "investigate their insurance history" in my industry its expected once you get to a certain level if a brand you worked on did poorly while you were there the interviewer will rake you over the goddamn coals about it. One company actually paid people to spam friend requests to potential new hires so they could see their friends only social media content to eliminate them.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If it was a big incident and it's a small business community then everyone is going to find out because gossip is a thing. Also yeah it might not be professional to get your friend a job, but that's how a stupid percentage of jobs are filled. The guy managed to mention 'the incident' and still got her the job, he did her a favor.

Anyone who works in an industry with potential for expensive accidents will eventually have an expensive accident. That's built into their business plan, that's why they have insurance. If it's a one off its basically a statistical blip. Who cares? I've seen coworkers roll trucks, smash wing mirrors, forget to drill to the right depth resulting in tens of thousands of dollars loss and not lose their job, poo poo happens.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I knew that story would get the thread into a huge discussion, I chose wisely.

E: Aw hell, have some more content

My [25M] girlfriend [24F] is being slut-shamed by both our families and everyone in my friend group

quote:

I dated this girl back in high school, it was a very big relationship for us but being teenagers it naturally ended with us doing some really mean things to eachother and breaking up (about five times). We weren't on good terms.

In the time we were apart we both developed a bit of a "history", leaving a serious relationship into the big world of hookup culture does that. I can't deny talking poo poo on her with friends immediately after the breakup for that reason (lovely teenager), but then, of course, I did the same.

So we've got a past, and most people in our lives are aware of that past, but me being a guy I don't get ostracized for that behavior. Funny stuff.
Anyways we got talking again years later, found we shared a lot of similar ideas on the world/success/relationships + the undeniable chemistry, one thing led to another and we're moving in next week. It feels great, we've done it right this time.

But when the time came to tell people, it went off the rails a bit. My parents "....her? Be careful, I've heard a lot of bad things about that girl". Her mother "you've been with a lot of guys, how do you know he's the right one?" (in a passive aggressive kind of way, not an innocent question).

We stayed with my family for a night and my mother made a comment about the past so blatantly I had to pull her aside and say "that's inappropriate, don't do that". My step-father straight up used the term "town bicycle" in a private conversation with me. So uncomfortable.

The girlfriend is naturally very bothered by this. She and I both are very open-minded about sex, it's not an issue for us but getting scorned by people she might be seeing for a very long time is.

These experiences are making me very uncomfortable with breaking the news to some of my friends, a few of the same friends I'd talk smack with back in the day remain some of my best friends. I doubt they'll give me poo poo, I'm more concerned they'll gossip amongst themselves about what a "stupid decision" I'm making and it might affect our friendship. They're the only ones aware of the toxicity our past relationship had and right now I can't imagine any way to justify this action without sounding like I'm in denial or something.

It sucks because right now the only negative aspects of this relationship are the opinions we're being fed from everyone significant in our lives. It's hard to imagine a future where everyone gets along. I'm sad, pls help

TL;DR: Girlfriend is slut-shamed by family (despite our pretty comparable history), I'm scared about telling my friends I'm dating "her" again, the relationship is tight aside from the flak we're receiving from all directions

Okay, you have to step the gently caress up and yell at anyone who does that, you idiot. You and her are a team now, you gotta do that poo poo. If they keep doing it anyway, cut them out of your life.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Outrail posted:

If it was a big incident and it's a small business community then everyone is going to find out because gossip is a thing. Also yeah it might not be professional to get your friend a job, but that's how a stupid percentage of jobs are filled. The guy managed to mention 'the incident' and still got her the job, he did her a favor.

Anyone who works in an industry with potential for expensive accidents will eventually have an expensive accident. That's built into their business plan, that's why they have insurance. If it's a one off its basically a statistical blip. Who cares? I've seen coworkers roll trucks, smash wing mirrors, forget to drill to the right depth resulting in tens of thousands of dollars loss and not lose their job, poo poo happens.

Exactly yeah.

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

maskenfreiheit posted:

I worked at a pharmaceutical manufacturer years ago, and had a member of the "Million Dollar Club" on my overnight shift.

This was a group of people who caused the loss of over a million dollars of equipment or product, and were still employed.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Outrail posted:

If you never listened to the radio show Loveline you absolutely should. These people are out there, they're going to be the ones raising the next generation, and it is terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

WampaLord posted:

The real answer is much more sad, it's men tricking women by taking it off when they can't see it. :smith:

You can def feel the difference so she is letting herself be tricked if she don't call him out