Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Reveilled posted:

I don't know enough about Overwatch to understand what's happening in that video,

she's killing a shitload of people in that video. whenever you see [redtext] [whitetext] [redtext] under the cursor that means she just got a kill

Reveilled posted:

refusing to believe that a Korean girl is one of the greatest e-sports players in the world at a game where one of the characters is literally a Korean girl who is the greatest e-sports player in the world is just loving incredible as a microcosm of everything wrong with gaming.

it was a couple of korean men who said and, to be fair, her aim is so uncanny at times that it kinda looks like an aimbot. but no she really is that good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I've always thought that women would best men in gaming eventually because women tend to be more disciplined as a group.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Games are way more mainstream these days and playing games is no longer an automatically shameful thing

Same thing was happening on a smaller scale in the comic book community air quotes after the marvel movies turned out to be a money machine

Well yeah but that doesn't affect you if you want to be a big shut in with them. You can still buy goony games and play them in your basement if you want to. There's nothing inherently social about games except possibly that a bunch of games now get made with a multiplayer focus, but you can just not buy those, it works fine for me.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

temple posted:

I've always thought that women would best men in gaming eventually because women tend to be more disciplined as a group.

Dodgy gender essentialism aside, the physical differences argument you see in real sports doesn't apply with videogames and I think it will be quite interesting to see how things develop in E-sports as more and more women filter into what has so far been a super male dominated arena with the reduction of social pressures that typically made games, especially 'hardcore' games, something girls weren't meant to play.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
To the best of my knowledge, women quite regularly outperform men of equal experience in sharpshooting competitions. If that holds up in the gaming world, then I'd expect women's representation on the Pro-FPS circuit to increase dramatically within the next generation, as the demographics of gamers even out.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
This image is used as an example of what certain people think and does not represent my own opinion. This image is only posted as a example of why certain men dont like females in their hobby.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
That was not made by a man, it was made by an ant.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

khwarezm posted:

Dodgy gender essentialism aside, the physical differences argument you see in real sports doesn't apply with videogames and I think it will be quite interesting to see how things develop in E-sports as more and more women filter into what has so far been a super male dominated arena with the reduction of social pressures that typically made games, especially 'hardcore' games, something girls weren't meant to play.

IDK but I think it was assumed that women have better fine motor skills and muscle endurance. Its isn't biotruths because it doesn't inform behavior.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Weird BIAS posted:

That was not made by a man, it was made by an ant.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

This image is used as an example of what certain people think and does not represent my own opinion. This image is only posted as a example of why certain men dont like females in their hobby.

Oh, wow, thanks for this essential perspective on women intruding on our precious games for attention. Or something.

"Females join the vast majority/totally male hobby in an effort not to play the game, but to attract attention largely uncontested by boys."

I need an emoticon that combines :psyduck: with :cawg:. What, why would a woman get involved in a hobby simply to distract the people playing with her feminine wiles. How does this ruin the hobby, they can just ignore it. Why is that the automatic assumption of a woman's intentions. How actually common can this genuinely be. Why would 'Dudebros' get involved as a result. Why does your dumb hobby have to be so rigorously policed and cliquey. How loving arrogant can you be that you assume that the women are there exclusively to steal your extremely valuable attention what with your irresistible nerd magnetism you gained by taking a dumb game super seriously. If you're easily winning against the girls and dudebros, that are totally a big problem, due to them not being good at the game isn't that a victory of its own that makes you feel superior. Why did they draw all the new guys and gals in the last panels as people who seem fun to hang out with and know how to enjoy themselves while the original hobbyists just look like massive sourpusses. Wha... uh.. wuh? Ugh.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
You're thinking too hard. Author of the comic is most likely a sad incel with poor social skills. So they're projecting really, really hard about women's motivations, as well as the motivations of the dude's who are socially competent enough to get laid.

There's never such a thing as just being an interesting person with varied hobbies. Unless you're part of the inner circle of other obsessive incel nerds, then you're probably a lovely casual who has ulterior motives for engaging in the hobby.

I knew one dude who brought an entire big binder of rares and one of those giant white boxes of commons/uncommons to basic training. Stuck it in the bottom of his locker, which earned some odd looks on inspection. Nonetheless, I'd love to see these losers get utterly trounced in a game of magic by some of the jacked military nerds I met when I served.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
Posting manosphere delusions that are fundamentally on the same level as conspiracy theory thinking? How exciting.

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

This image is used as an example of what certain people think and does not represent my own opinion.

I don't believe you.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 19, 2017

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

JVNO posted:

You're thinking too hard. Author of the comic is most likely a sad incel with poor social skills. So they're projecting really, really hard about women's motivations, as well as the motivations of the dude's who are socially competent enough to get laid.

There's never such a thing as just being an interesting person with varied hobbies. Unless you're part of the inner circle of other obsessive incel nerds, then you're probably a lovely casual who has ulterior motives for engaging in the hobby.

I knew one dude who brought an entire big binder of rares and one of those giant white boxes of commons/uncommons to basic training. Stuck it in the bottom of his locker, which earned some odd looks on inspection. Nonetheless, I'd love to see these losers get utterly trounced in a game of magic by some of the jacked military nerds I met when I served.

Nerds deserve to be bullied tbh

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Corvinus posted:

Posting manosphere delusions that are fundamentally on the same level as conspiracy theory thinking? How exciting.

I don't believe you.

That image has been floating around the internet for years.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

the thing about this image is that i've always played role playing games and nerd poo poo with girls. i used to go to the girl next door's house to play NES. i'm old enough to have participated heavily in the first CCG wave and the anime fangirls at my high school loved this anime card game. my first dungeon master was a girl

the two dorks in the first panel of this image are really misunderstanding why they were never hanging out with girls in the first place. it has nothing to do with their hobby

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

boner confessor posted:

the two dorks in the first panel of this image are really misunderstanding why they were never hanging out with girls in the first place. it has nothing to do with their hobby

I think that cuts to the core of the issue of a lot of nerd assumptions about women's participation in different game scenes, be they traditional or digital. I grew up with girls who owned consoles, would later play D&D with, and so on. They were not on par with the guys in terms of numbers, but they were certainly present, and enjoyed the hobbies just as much and as "authentically" as the dudes. Which is why the idea that women simply aren't constructed to enjoy nerd media and only do it for attention or social capital is so alien and idiotic to me, but I can kind of understand that notion (but not the rabid commitment to it) if the people who hold it never met girls who enjoyed the same things as them growing up. Though it's also likely that they did, but dismissed them as inauthentic or abnormal and shoved it into the memory hole.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
My D&D group as a kid was 4 boys and 2 girls, some of my fondest memories as a kid are from all the crazy poo poo that happened in my D&D group, and the gender of the participants did not matter one bit to the quality of the experience, except possibly that casually misogynistic jokes were off-limits due to the presence of the girls (a good thing, obviously). And yeah, sometimes after we got pizza halfway through we wouldn't actually get back to the game and would sit around chatting or watching flash videos on the internet, so I'm glad we didn't have the two idiots from the comic who would have apparently had a tantrum about this and stormed off.

Maybe I'm lucky my school didn't do cliques, or being one of the nerdiest kids I'd have ended up like that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

if i just saw the gameplay of overwatch lady i would assume aimbot too her ability to track a target with the beam is insane (for anyone). but those guys were incredulous because it was a g-g-g-girl!!!

also shameful korea went from brood war to casual poo poo like league and overwatch.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

League isn't bad because it's casual it's bad because it's a horrible abusive monster that tries to devour all of your time and force you to manage your life around it. Overwatch it fine though.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Groovelord Neato posted:

if i just saw the gameplay of overwatch lady i would assume aimbot too her ability to track a target with the beam is insane (for anyone). but those guys were incredulous because it was a g-g-g-girl!!!

also shameful korea went from brood war to casual poo poo like league and overwatch.

hot take: brood war was casual, i was playing like, battle isle and koei strategy games then

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I enjoyed how that started off as a reasonable dating profile thing and then quickly segued into conspiracy nonsense.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Age 36, looking for 21-35

seeks a white woman who is 'reasonably intelligent', aka agrees with all his conspiracy theories

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Interesting that this Nazi loser watches the "Electric Jew"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lightning Lord posted:

Interesting that this Nazi loser watches the "Electric Jew"
He has to get his biased media that he can dismantle with his superior rational intellect from somewhere.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Was this one of the guys who got booted from OKCupid? If so LOL, because he's the now infamous Crazy Nazi YouTuber.

I'm honestly pretty happy watching so many businesses doing so much to tell the alt-right types to GTFO. That's the beginning of progress towards driving that poo poo back into the hills and maybe really destroying its ability to play a role in modern politics.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lightning Lord posted:

hot take: brood war was casual, i was playing like, battle isle and koei strategy games then

you got 400 apm brother?? i meant mechanically you silly goose.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

zxqv8 posted:

Reading this thread and other stuff about the terrible misogyny that permeates society has caused me to cringe nearly any time there's a youtube title or article that includes the word :females: to describe a woman doing a thing, because there's always the sense that it carries the "she's pretty good....for a girl" subtext.

And then it usually does.

The only time :females: is not used in a misogynistic way is when it's in a title like "Female crocodile protects babies - BBC's Planet Earth".

If it's about a person then there's a 100% chance it's garbage.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/899013255506649089

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Who What Now posted:

The only time :females: is not used in a misogynistic way is when it's in a title like "Female crocodile protects babies - BBC's Planet Earth".

If it's about a person then there's a 100% chance it's garbage.

Nah, that's dumb and reductive:

Who What Now posted:

Both, technically. There's been a few female models over the years, and you can always put SoB heads on IG bodies and do other conversions.

In the fluff Commissar Cain led a co-ed regiment with a female colonel.

Just because you described a fictional person as a "female colonel" doesn't make you garbage (nor would it if the person was real). Non-poo poo people can use the word female without it being misogynistic, there's no need to cede that word to shitheads.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

those are adjectives, using it as a noun does make you sound like a weirdo.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Groovelord Neato posted:

those are adjectives, using it as a noun does make you sound like a weirdo.

I agree, but that wasn't what the post I was responding to said.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

It's almost a recreation that preacher panel, but replace "where the gently caress is your chin" with "why do you have so many fuckin' chins"

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i hate when matt yglesias posts something good because then i have to have some enjoyment of matt yglesias and that kinda sucks

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

My co-workers use female as a noun but they're black and live in the city not neck beard rationals

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Reveilled posted:

Nah, that's dumb and reductive:

Just because you described a fictional person as a "female colonel" doesn't make you garbage (nor would it if the person was real). Non-poo poo people can use the word female without it being misogynistic, there's no need to cede that word to shitheads.

I am garbage, though.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Who What Now posted:

I am garbage, though.

Who could have known that you would have some self-loathing?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
For someone who claims so many heinous things are "just jokes" you sure do have trouble recognizing real ones.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does this belong here? An interview with the trash who organized the nazi rally in Boston yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCjI0ups8L0

The interviewer kind of seems like trash too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

My co-workers use female as a noun but they're black and live in the city not neck beard rationals

Neither of those things keep it from being weird sounding.

• Locked thread