Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

they should just embrace the bugs and rebrand SC as a space psychological horror game

SC: crobert's sacrifice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Don't worry guys, once they get that super responsive and intelligent AI code that'll do all the calculations and control all the npcs working it'll fix the rest of those bugs itself. Or become aware of its own terrible, horrible nature and call the authorities.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
No you shut the gently caress up Dad!

I just want to run a radio show, that is all.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Ban Tophat imo

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

tuo posted:

Ban Tophat imo

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Sillybones posted:

I'm starting to think this game might not be delivered as promised, guys.

Just lower your expectations, then its fine

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

To be perfectly honest, I don't see anything wrong with the vending machine cosplay in and of itself-- people have been dressing up as esoteric joke characters/items for cosplay for years and tend to be taken as self aware goofy jokes.

Likewise, the vending machine stonehenge, taken by itself, is pretty amusing-- it's the same sort of tongue in cheek nod to "yes, it's still a video game" that plenty of video games have-- New Vegas springs immediately to mind for obvious reasons, but there's similar random things hidden in any open-world game you could care to mention.

The real problem is that, as mentioned, that's literally all there is to the game. While developers acknowledging the in-jokes and embedding easter eggs based on what the community is doing is common, the higher level's desperate grasp of "did we add any feature at all? what can we put in the teaser trailer? anyone? a new moon with a replace-me texture? oh, bob put a vending machine on the space station, perfect, that vending machine's what our next trailer is about" is extraordinarily telling.

But yeah, my only point is that some of the making GBS threads on stuff for the sole reason of "It's SC doing it" comes off as very "NO FUN ALLOWED", there's plenty of actual stuff to mock without having to stretch for it. Mocking someone with a joke cosplay or the "immersion breaking" nature of a vending machine stonehenge is getting very close to a "legitimate over-immersed citizen complaint" kind of territory.

I like this post - let me use it as a springboard to clarify one of my earlier posts:

quote:

The real problem is that, as mentioned, that's literally all there is to the game. While developers acknowledging the in-jokes and embedding easter eggs based on what the community is doing is common, the higher level's desperate grasp of "did we add any feature at all? what can we put in the teaser trailer? anyone? a new moon with a replace-me texture? oh, bob put a vending machine on the space station, perfect, that vending machine's what our next trailer is about" is extraordinarily telling.

This is a microcosmic example of one of the most fundamental problems with the development of Star Citizen: the cart-before-the-horse, cargo-cult mentality. Chris Roberts built a multinational studio larger than some dedicated and proven AAA studios before he had a single shipped (or designed) game. He has lore out the rear end, but no game for it to exist within. They're selling hats, shirts, etc. emblazoned with the name and logo of a game that does not exist. The "Big Benny" vending machine is just another example of trying to lend legitimacy to his "franchise" by imitating the traits of existing, successful games, in the form of an "Easter egg" placed in the game before there is a game. It's all part of why this game still isn't out: they imitate the things they see other studios do, without understanding why other studios do them.

quote:

Mocking someone with a joke cosplay or the "immersion breaking" nature of a vending machine stonehenge is getting very close to a "legitimate over-immersed citizen complaint" kind of territory.

I'd like to clarify a fine point here, at least as far as why I'm personally disgusted by this particular cosplay attempt. I don't care if people want to dress up as poo poo. I don't care if some guy goes to a Half-Life convention dressed as Gordon Freeman, or if somebody shows up as the Portal companion cube. Both of those are existing games, released and beloved by fans, and not scamming millions of dollars from the mentally unstable.

The Big Benny cosplay sits uncomfortably with me because it's a laser-focused example of broke-brained thinking. The game does not, nor will it ever, exist. This poor gently caress is going through emotional Stockholm Syndrome with CIG, and he's shackled his identity to the only object in the game that isn't a loving JPEG of a ship. He's not a "fan" because there's nothing to be a fan of. CIG has similarly hamstrung themselves into the same kind of creative cul-de-sac. They're throwing in "nods" to poo poo - a behavior that in an actual game studio is something they do for fun after most of the serious work is completed. The Big Benny machine isn't an Easter egg because there's no game for it to exist as an Easter egg within.

And that's the core issue with CIG: there's a difference between doing and aping. This bizarre cosplay attempt merely throws that into sharper relief.

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

Thoatse posted:

Someone should cosplay the Tickler In Black

I wonder of it's possible to cosplay as a jpeg.........

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Can I still laugh at the vending machine guy if I think all cosplay is stupid?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Scruffpuff posted:

I like this post - let me use it as a springboard to clarify one of my earlier posts:

This is a microcosmic example of one of the most fundamental problems with the development of Star Citizen: the cart-before-the-horse, cargo-cult mentality. Chris Roberts built a multinational studio larger than some dedicated and proven AAA studios before he had a single shipped (or designed) game. He has lore out the rear end, but no game for it to exist within. They're selling hats, shirts, etc. emblazoned with the name and logo of a game that does not exist. The "Big Benny" vending machine is just another example of trying to lend legitimacy to his "franchise" by imitating the traits of existing, successful games, in the form of an "Easter egg" placed in the game before there is a game. It's all part of why this game still isn't out: they imitate the things they see other studios do, without understanding why other studios do them.

I'd like to clarify a fine point here, at least as far as why I'm personally disgusted by this particular cosplay attempt. I don't care if people want to dress up as poo poo. I don't care if some guy goes to a Half-Life convention dressed as Gordon Freeman, or if somebody shows up as the Portal companion cube. Both of those are existing games, released and beloved by fans, and not scamming millions of dollars from the mentally unstable.

The Big Benny cosplay sits uncomfortably with me because it's a laser-focused example of broke-brained thinking. The game does not, nor will it ever, exist. This poor gently caress is going through emotional Stockholm Syndrome with CIG, and he's shackled his identity to the only object in the game that isn't a loving JPEG of a ship. He's not a "fan" because there's nothing to be a fan of. CIG has similarly hamstrung themselves into the same kind of creative cul-de-sac. They're throwing in "nods" to poo poo - a behavior that in an actual game studio is something they do for fun after most of the serious work is completed. The Big Benny machine isn't an Easter egg because there's no game for it to exist as an Easter egg within.

And that's the core issue with CIG: there's a difference between doing and aping. This bizarre cosplay attempt merely throws that into sharper relief.

Please never leave or get banned. You're one of the best posters in the thread.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Avocado tester spotted.

I'm probably late with this joke.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

In other news, Hellblade is being hailed as the most important game, not only of the year, but possibly of the last two decades because of it re-igniting the lost "middle market" of video games.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

tuo posted:

Free Tophat imo

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Harsh but fair

ps: just finished hellblade. thank's everyone for mentioning it/streaming it. it's awesome and I can't wait to play it again in search of tons of stuffed I surely missed and that is only available on new game. Awesome, awesome storytelling, great graphics, okayish look-around-puzzles, super-super-cool illusion/render-to-texture stage, and overall awesome game well worth it's price. Would have missed it without all of you suggesting it!

Question to the pros: I played it in a very decently setup 7.2 environment (sitting exactly in the sweet spot), and constantly got freaked out, looking around me in search for the speakers. Does the headphone-stereo truly even beat this experience?

tuo fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 20, 2017

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I really want people to cosplay as Lovecraftian Horror Stretchy Arms dude or Nipple Jets dude, but the vending machine costume is pretty well done, so kudos to that guy I guess.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sabreseven posted:

Hopefully someone will cosplay as an expensive coffee machine and maybe someone else can be the 1x1 cargo box.

Do they really not see how dumb cosplaying as an inanimate vending machine is? Were their parents refrigerator, cooker or deep fat fryer cosplayers in the sixties or something?

In a world of cosplayers done up to look like incredibly impressive 7ft tall Space Marines, lithe Elven archers, muscular Ork Warlocks, detailed Anime characters, the SC community is represented by some weird berk in a mother loving inanimate cardboard pasta dispensery which ironically does not dispense pasta in game or out, and has no function other than to take up an area of 1m width x 1m depth x 1.5m height and be glitched through the side of a jpeg with varying degrees of success.

I've never really understood cosplay, seems very juvenile and childish to me, but some costumes are incredibly impressive and I admire the work and dedication serious cosplayers have for their craft. I can't honestly see a vending machine being taken seriously at all.

I've done it before and it can be fun with friends and the right attitude. But this is even worse than Snake in the metal gear box cosplayer, which is usually funny to spot and immediately recognizable.

I'm glad that in all of SC after 5+ years of development the only standout "character" is a vending machine prop people can push around and transport. It's literally a symbol that the game is empty and void, with the fans starving for any iota of content to try and justify ungodly amounts of money spent in some cases.

Bravo CR, your game continues to be boring. A trend I feel will continue and become more apparent as people realize the game as envisioned currently is a dull disaster of time sinks and no reward, if it became a thing. Currently for real it's just a broken mess.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Do I have to slap you around to remind you that this is EA?

Editar: https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/19/16174510/mass-effect-andromeda-no-dlc-last-update - The cratering after missing customer expectations for 'good games'.

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 20, 2017

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Whoa whoa it's not just the vending machine. There's also the cafeteria and the bar, once people stop clipping through furniture and spilling their drinks.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

I just hate people who do lovely joke cosplays. It offends my world famous award winning cosplayer persona.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

someone should cosplay as the drink dispenser and the rack of space vcrs in the space bus

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Whatever happened to "Crawl before you walk"?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

Crawl before you walk is an understatement. Chris Roberts is the blind quadruple amputee convinced that, with two weeks of training, he's the top contender to win gold in the 100m at the Olympics.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The chances in 100m being fired out of a cannon are looking good.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Fargin Icehole posted:

Good question. Many people blame Chris Roberts for Star Citizen's failure because he's a terrible project manager, has a nonexistent vision, doesn't know anything about game development, and a host of other character and intellectual flaws that are almost custom-suited to cause him to fail at game development.

I disagree.

Chris Roberts can be blamed for Star Citizen's failure for one reason above all others: he came into this thinking, as you referenced, that he didn't need to crawl before he could walk. He viewed himself as a master game developer who could jump headfirst into a project of infinite size and a complete lack of planning, and create The Matrix.

He left the industry over a decade ago and refused to learn a single lesson since that departure. So add to the timeline an estimate for how long it would take an autistic thumb to re-learn 15 years worth of lessons. Then double that, because whatever he rediscovers (or, as CIG puts it, "invents") will be the worst possible implementation and will need to be "refactored".

Might as well add to the timeline the amount of time it takes to use every word in the software development lexicon incorrectly.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Fargin Icehole posted:

It dies when rapid prototyping gets into the wrong hands

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

"But boss, the specifications say that it'll only hold 190lbs..."

"We are at 260 already, and it's still holding, so what could possibly go wrong?"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Scruffpuff posted:

This is a microcosmic example of one of the most fundamental problems with the development of Star Citizen: the cart-before-the-horse, cargo-cult mentality.

Yeah, I don't disagree that Roberts is just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks at this point, and it's obvious his ability to manage projects properly is nonexistent. My only concern (and it almost comes entirely down to semantics, at times) that there's a difference between CIG is mockable for doing this poorly and the thing is mockable because CIG is the one doing it, which it seems the thread dances back and forth on the line of. Or occasionally just full bore barrel rolls over until everyone starts yelling PULL UP, but I digress.

The only reason it comes to my mind at all is attempting to maintain at least some level of impartiality; allowing the things they're doing in any way correctly means the criticisms are more difficult to discard out of hand, whereas mocking even the concept of the thing means every other valid criticism is treated like it's on the same low level of "they're just attacking it because it's personal, ignore what they're saying". It's obvious from them pulling G0RF's infographics into the Reddit with no input from us that it's at least possible for some of them to read the evidence as laid out. But, that's just my take and I know that it's shovelling poo poo against the tide in a thread that gets like 5000 posts a week, so.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

tuo posted:

"But boss, the specifications say that it'll only hold 190lbs..."

"We are at 260 already, and it's still holding, so what could possibly go wrong?"

Not weight related, but all I can think of now is comparing Olisar's rings to Galloping Gertie.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The problem is crisp crobblers should never have been in a management role to begin with

If he had just been a consultant, I bet there would have been a game to play by now

Hey guys make me a successor to wing commander and make it an open world sim , I'll check in every 6 months from my villa in Monaco to offer some advice on direction

you hired all these supposed experts in their field and you just micro manage the living poo poo out of them. I'm surprised more haven't walked out, no one likes to be micro managed let alone by the likes of a washed up wanna be movie director

Please Chris for the love of god go away for a long time (And never come back)

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Yeah, I don't disagree that Roberts is just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks at this point, and it's obvious his ability to manage projects properly is nonexistent. My only concern (and it almost comes entirely down to semantics, at times) that there's a difference between CIG is mockable for doing this poorly and the thing is mockable because CIG is the one doing it, which it seems the thread dances back and forth on the line of. Or occasionally just full bore barrel rolls over until everyone starts yelling PULL UP, but I digress.

The only reason it comes to my mind at all is attempting to maintain at least some level of impartiality; allowing the things they're doing in any way correctly means the criticisms are more difficult to discard out of hand, whereas mocking even the concept of the thing means every other valid criticism is treated like it's on the same low level of "they're just attacking it because it's personal, ignore what they're saying". It's obvious from them pulling G0RF's infographics into the Reddit with no input from us that it's at least possible for some of them to read the evidence as laid out. But, that's just my take and I know that it's shovelling poo poo against the tide in a thread that gets like 5000 posts a week, so.

You've just put an infinite more thought into the criticism of Chris then Chris has ever put into his whole life.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The only reason it comes to my mind at all is attempting to maintain at least some level of impartiality; allowing the things they're doing in any way correctly means the criticisms are more difficult to discard out of hand, whereas mocking even the concept of the thing means every other valid criticism is treated like it's on the same low level of "they're just attacking it because it's personal, ignore what they're saying".

But that's just it: have they ever managed to do anything even remotely correct?
It's hard to prove impartiality by giving credit if there is nothing to give credit to.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Crazypoops posted:

You've just put an infinite more thought into the criticism of Chris then Chris has ever put into his whole life.

I put more thought into the timing and logistics of my morning coffee shits than Chris has put into his game thus far, so that's not really saying much

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sappo569 posted:

The problem is crisp crobblers should never have been in a management role to begin with

If he had just been a consultant, I bet there would have been a game to play by now

Hey guys make me a successor to wing commander and make it an open world sim , I'll check in every 6 months from my villa in Monaco to offer some advice on direction

you hired all these supposed experts in their field and you just micro manage the living poo poo out of them. I'm surprised more haven't walked out, no one likes to be micro managed let alone by the likes of a washed up wanna be movie director

Please Chris for the love of god go away for a long time (And never come back)

Drag Crobberts out behind the shed and do him like they did Ol' Freelancer imo

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Beet Wagon posted:

It took MS three years to take Chris' three years of work and turn it into a game.
So if Coutts wanted to turn SC into game, presumably it would be out by 2023?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Fair but harsh

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It would be great if star citizen shat its pants at the same time as the eclipse

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is Star Citizen kosher?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

Is Star Citizen kosher?

Nah. The wrong type of locusts are involved, so it's pretty much disqualified on that point alone.