Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
JP: In a movie or television show, a scene can last severalminutes. Do any of the scenes in Squadron 42 or in Star Citizen last that long?
Dave H: There are longer scenes in S42, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

In the latest ATV, find the "UK Leads Meeting 08.14.17" at around the 4 minute mark.

They're still talking about organizing work between the offices in different time zones, right?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Guys. I think Star Citizen is never getting released.

And Derek will be telling you so for another fifteen years.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Lladre posted:

Guys. I think Star Citizen is never getting released.

And Derek will be telling you so for another fifteen years.

What will be released first, LoD or Star Citizen?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

quote:

'They can say their... their lines from any position, so, you know, whether they're wiping a counter or... or standing at the counter, just leaning on it, or leaning up against the wall, they can all say "Hello," "Good bye," whatever, but Eckhart's... you really want to feel that emotion that he's trying to convey, so... uh reusing the same tech has been... has been challenging in that sense'

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

JP: In a movie or television show, a scene can last severalminutes. Do any of the scenes in Squadron 42 or in Star Citizen last that long?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that Chris thinks this is a good thing… :cawg:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Tippis posted:

It took MS three years to take Chris' three years of work and turn it into a game.
So if Coutts wanted to turn SC into game, presumably it would be out by 2023?

It will be a DNF style release where it will take more time to unfuck what CR hosed than it would to start over completely. Studio closes early 2018, SC out Q1 of 2020.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Haha, holy poo poo! Yes, 3.0 will certainly shut up the naysayers and the FUD-spreaders. What an idiot

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

At least they only have to change one word in the company name... "Coutts Imperium Games" sounds OK...

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

First time I'm watching atv with sound and I'm loving dying.

'The Doors seem to be fleeing...'

http://i.imgur.com/WVH2DO4.mp4

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

My only concern (and it almost comes entirely down to semantics, at times) that there's a difference between CIG is mockable for doing this poorly and the thing is mockable because CIG is the one doing it, which it seems the thread dances back and forth on the line of.

This is a very good point, and it's something I try to be cognizant of when I level my criticisms at CIG. I've been guilty of stepping over the line before, and what makes it so difficult to even see the line is CIG abysmal success:failure ratio.

At times it really does seem that CIG is literally the antipattern for the game development industry. I'm sure they're doing some things right, but off the top of my head I can't think of anything. Consider even the simplest thing: the patcher. It opens a potentially infinite number of ports, floods the ARP table on the router/firewall, and downloads the entire "game" each time there's even the tiniest patch.

That isn't something you polish later on. This is entry-level, 101-level poo poo that should have been on lockdown the first time they released the "pre-alpha" :lol: to their backers. And that's the first thing a player sees. That's their first impression. Are they going to leverage that firewall-destroying networking logic to make the PTU have more than 12 people in an instance? Is "network 2.0" them hiring a guy who knows how to download a file without opening 2453 separate ports?

They had to patch the patcher and take out the music because the music crashed the patcher. That is the level of expertise we're up against.

So yeah, CIG is probably doing something right, somewhere. Like I guess you could say ARCCorp, when it loads, and before it crashes, and if you ignore the textures and entire objects popping in and out as you move, and before you clip through the world - before all those things, you can see the models and the structures, and what you see is more or less what they put in. For the most part. So that part was, in a sense, done right.

In addition to all that, sometimes your point of the thing is mockable because CIG is the one doing it is, as you state, not really fair. But I can think of several things that are mockable because CIG is doing them. A good example is when they built the space door. If Blizzard had done it for Starcraft, nobody would care, because it would be their money and Starcraft is a real game that exists. If Bioware had done it, nobody would care. But building a space door IS mockable because CIG is doing it, because CIG has not yet earned the money they spent on it, and they don't have a game yet to validate the need for a self-referential space door. So there's that.

But overall I do agree. But man, is that line ever thin.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 20, 2017

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

the graphics keep getting worse but the fps stays the same :confused:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Could people in this thread start clarifying if they are talking about Old 3.0 or New 3.0? It's very confusing and hard to keep track of the games progress

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

This is another of those things that isn't inherently wrong, as Final Fantasy XIV manages to be a pretty successful story-driven MMO with long cutscenes. To the point where there are actual 30 minute cutscenes that the game has to warn you about ahead of time. And people happily watch them.

The problem is that you have to earn the right to have a long cutscene by having a story and characters people care about, and right now the most iconic thing in Star Citizen is a non-functional noodle vending machine.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

Could people in this thread start clarifying if they are talking about Old 3.0 or New 3.0? It's very confusing and hard to keep track of the games progress

One doesn't exist and the other... er.... oh....

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

big nipples big life posted:

someone should cosplay as the drink dispenser and the rack of space vcrs in the space bus

Dibs on a nice refreshing glass of Hairy Roberts cosplay.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Xaerael posted:

In other news, Hellblade is being hailed as the most important game, not only of the year, but possibly of the last two decades because of it re-igniting the lost "middle market" of video games.

I thought Nier:Automata did that

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

AngusPodgorny posted:

This is another of those things that isn't inherently wrong, as Final Fantasy XIV manages to be a pretty successful story-driven MMO with long cutscenes. To the point where there are actual 30 minute cutscenes that the game has to warn you about ahead of time. And people happily watch them.

The problem is that you have to earn the right to have a long cutscene by having a story and characters people care about, and right now the most iconic thing in Star Citizen is a non-functional noodle vending machine.

The question is, though, how many scenes are in that cutscene? Even I-have-no-sense-of-pacing-Kojima breaks up his incessant blabbing into individual short(esque) scenes, and they're only barely sufferable in length even if you care about what's happening.

But then there's Chris, who's not an accomplished writer; a less-than-accomplished film-maker; and who's probably suffering from the notion that having longer scenes than what you see in regular visual narratives is somehow an accomplishment rather than a failure.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

Good question. Many people blame Chris Roberts for Star Citizen's failure because he's a terrible project manager, has a nonexistent vision, doesn't know anything about game development, and a host of other character and intellectual flaws that are almost custom-suited to cause him to fail at game development.

I disagree.

Chris Roberts can be blamed for Star Citizen's failure for one reason above all others: he came into this thinking, as you referenced, that he didn't need to crawl before he could walk. He viewed himself as a master game developer who could jump headfirst into a project of infinite size and a complete lack of planning, and create The Matrix.

He left the industry over a decade ago and refused to learn a single lesson since that departure. So add to the timeline an estimate for how long it would take an autistic thumb to re-learn 15 years worth of lessons. Then double that, because whatever he rediscovers (or, as CIG puts it, "invents") will be the worst possible implementation and will need to be "refactored".

Might as well add to the timeline the amount of time it takes to use every word in the software development lexicon incorrectly.

And yet he gets so many people and companies to back him when they should know better.

He's a master at obfuscation.

He's managed to disguise a complete inability to do even basic game development behind a wall of media and expectations and promises. It's really amazing because he's literally given nobody the chance to say "uhhh.. are you ever going to actually play your game again, Mr. Roberts?"

The only question I have is how much longer this fake progress can be tolerated and continue. He's already given a sob story video for his lack of progress last year, and even the basic stuff from that year still isn't ok the game today.

Since they made no progress since last year maybe they can just recycle the pity party video too and slap a new date on it by crossing the date out and overwriting it with 2018 or something. Answer The Call-like. :)

But like many backers, I'm totally confident that CIG will do everything they promise, including coding up revolutionary AI the likes of which the world has never see before. Just as soon as they figure out that whole door thing. But come on guys, it's only been 5 years. Door technology in video games is breaking new ground I think.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Tippis posted:

But that's just it: have they ever managed to do anything even remotely correct?
It's hard to prove impartiality by giving credit if there is nothing to give credit to.

Does running a confidence scam count?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

The Titanic posted:

But like many backers, I'm totally confident that CIG will do everything they promise, including coding up revolutionary AI the likes of which the world has never see before. Just as soon as they figure out that whole door thing. But come on guys, it's only been 5 years. Door technology in video games is breaking new ground I think.

Well, it's true that SC has both doors and that somehow the ground is broken far more often than you'd expect, so you're probably right about that.

Thoatse posted:

Does running a confidence scam count?

I'm fairly confident that they've screwed that up too. The only question is how. :D

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Scruffpuff posted:

In addition to all that, sometimes your point of the thing is mockable because CIG is the one doing it is, as you state, not really fair. But I can think of several things that are mockable because CIG is doing them. A good example is when they built the space door. If Blizzard had done it for Starcraft, nobody would care, because it would be their money and Starcraft is a real game that exists. If Bioware had done it, nobody would care. But building a space door IS mockable because CIG is doing it, because CIG has not yet earned the money they spent on it, and they don't have a game yet to validate the need for a self-referential space door. So there's that.
Like the biggest problem isn't even that door exists, but that they felt the need to lie about it. "No, it's totally a cheap garage door!" when a little bit of detective work shows that to be untrue. Bioware wouldn't need to lie about, and they wouldn't lie about it, period.

Do other game companies do scummy things? Sure. But I'm taken aback by the breadth of their mendacity combined with their utter incompetence. That's genuinely something unique in the industry, and the line between "Mocking what CIG does because it's CIG" and "CIG's stuff is all terrible" borders on being a syllogism.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Tippis posted:

Well, it's true that SC has both doors and that somehow the ground is broken far more often than you'd expect, so you're probably right about that.

I'm fairly confident that they've screwed that up too. The only question is how. :D

We might find out the answer in 6 days

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Just in case you want to cast your vote before gamescom!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807588

Only registered members can see post attachments!

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Variable 5 posted:

What will be released first, LoD or Star Citizen?

Lod.

As much fun as it is to poke Mr. Smart... i love the aesthetics of LoD. Its such a nice change from the drab greys of every other sci fi game.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Goons :smug:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6uwtji/make_star_citizen_great_again/

his nibs fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 20, 2017

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Raskolnikov posted:

MVP for sure, they'll tick off those checkboxes over some MuiyThai's and grapple right the gently caress off leaving everyone that thought they would get some form of closure with one of the largest cases of collective blueballs, believers and naysayers alike, as Derek Smart's echo fades into the background of obscurity... two weeks!

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I wish I was 7. I'd buy some apple stock in 1998, the same year Freelancer Freespace was amazing and killed all space sims.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Ohtsam posted:

I thought Nier:Automata did that

Probably would have, if it had any of the defining features of being a middle market game? Nier was $60 and published by Squenix, which makes it about as middle market as FF13.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

Is Star Citizen kosher?

I don't think so, everything about it's development has been ham-handed.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Viscous Soda posted:

:ughh: ....also, :five:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Viscous Soda posted:

Close thread, we can't beat this.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

My funniest video game memory is when my controller turned itself off because off inactivity during a metal gear cut scene.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Raskolnikov posted:

I'm keeping this fidelitous PNG around for a reason…

Viscous Soda posted:

Close thread. We're done here.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Raskolnikov posted:

Voted "Slow and agonizing", MVP is the next most likely and the one I'm rooting for honestly. I really want to see what what the result of Crobberts unchecked ambition is, both for schadenfreude from the Citizens and my own morbid curiosity.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP4vbktd-PM

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

I am not a smart or well informed person. What's the DS curated site?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 20, 2017