Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Conskill posted:

Yeah, they significantly adjusted the AI to be more challenging.

Funny enough, while at the same time they introduced a bug that for a time gave NPC ships the possibility to roll with fantastical weaponry, like plasma accelerators with the firing rate of multicannons. For a few days FDev didn't believe it and were telling people to get gud in the face of instadeath hellcannons.

That was nothing to do with engineers/rolls, it was an issue with dangling pointers as explained here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...l=1#post4002121

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Finally got my rear end into the seat of a Python this evening. Got a ways to go fitting and engineering it, but it's the first ship since I started playing where I thought "that's it, THIS is my ship" and immediately jumped online to get all the bells and whistles I could find to spruce it up.

I've tried the T9, I've tried the Anaconda, I've tried the iCutter, but I keep on going back to my Lady Hel. I love my Python, she's just big enough to feel like a proper big ship while being at least something resembling maneuverable (with some upgrades). Tough enough to do combat when fit for it - plus a solid weapon loadout - big enough to haul a comfortable amount of cargo or passengers, enough internal bays to function as a solid miner or explorer or the like.. it's just a great all-rounder ship. Now if you only could fit a fighter bay in there..

Plus it's just sexy as gently caress:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mu77ley posted:

*sluuurrrrp sluuuurrrrp*

Mmm yes feed me your cummies daddy Braben

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Nice meltdown

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

There you go again, thinking about FDev's sexual organs. You really need to talk this through with your psychiatrist a bit more, it's becoming a bit of a sad obsession.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

maybe consider being less of a disgusting corporate shill?

thread: that engineering bug was bananas and they handled it poorly

you: it wasn’t a engineer bug- *fart noises with mouth*

just gently caress off

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

you gargle frontiers balls like they’re paying you t-

Ooooohhhh okay I get it now 😏

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

maybe consider being less of a disgusting corporate shill?

thread: that engineering bug was bananas and they handled it poorly

you: it wasn’t a engineer bug- *fart noises with mouth*

just gently caress off

You seem to have some serious issues with people providing factual information for some reason, on top of your unhealthy obsession with a development team's bodily emissions.

I'm sure if you don't actually understand the content of that post I linked a grown up could explain it for you...

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

you gargle frontiers balls like they’re paying you t-

Ooooohhhh okay I get it now 😏

Seek help

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

It’s cool your secret is safe with me buddy 😏

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

It’s cool your secret is safe with me buddy 😏

You really are a fuckwit, aren't you.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Mu77ley posted:

You really are a fuckwit, aren't you.

:discourse:

I get it. Not wanting to bite the hand that feeds you.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Conskill posted:

Funny enough, while at the same time they introduced a bug that for a time gave NPC ships the possibility to roll with fantastical weaponry, like plasma accelerators with the firing rate of multicannons. For a few days FDev didn't believe it and were telling people to get gud in the face of instadeath hellcannons.
Let's also not forget the incredibly passive-aggressive bit of fanfiction one of the devs wrote, completely missing the point of the (justified) complaints. :ughh:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
How's the handling on a Python? Is it too slow for frag cannons to be useful?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i got really stoned last night and shot a bunch of ships for pennies in the community goal system, sorry for turning the thread into a development fight

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Ak Gara posted:

It really screams for some engine mods, but it's sufficient if you're going after medium-and-larger ships.

Shadow_333
May 2, 2016

Ak Gara posted:

Get some drives modded, and load up with frags for some hilarious damage.
The fixed ones have ALOT more dps compared to the gimbal ones.
For PVE i would recomment getting some multicannons too, for swatting smaller stuff.

Note; if you have plans to do lots of bountyhunting or conflict zones, ammo is gonna be an issue after a few minutes..

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Has anyone got an example of a good free camera control key setup for sweet space pics (with flightstick/mouse/keyboard)? I'm struggling to get good screenshots due to the awkwardness of camera positioning.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Cowcaster posted:

thank you!! i will say flying it to where the community goal is going on made me remember how pitifully small the gas tank on the stupid thing is. how does transferring a ship to places scale, moneywise? it cost me about 200k and an hour of wait time to warp it a decent distance but i didn't think to measure how much

edit: based on what you said though, should i pack two size 3 multicannons instead of the pulses these days? or a pulse and a multicannon?

https://eddp.co/u/ii2As8Yk

https://eddp.co/u/pAdsARsc

If you have a multicannon vulture and a pulse vulture and they shoot at each other, the pulse vulture dies first. Also the multicannon vulture is more power efficient. It's just better.

edit: Once you get into engineering you can do some fun things:

https://eddp.co/u/jP2sXxg3

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 20, 2017

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Frontier's new game is Jurassic World Evolution, apparently.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-20-jurassic-world-evolution-theme-park-sim-announced-by-planet-coaster-dev-frontier

edit: official announcement made on Reddit. no need for spoilers anymore :)

Mike the TV fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 20, 2017

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Anyone play anything related to the thargoid beta yet? I am kind of leaving this off until that expansion comes out. Just wondering what it's going to be like?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Should be cool actually as Planet Coaster is a stellar game.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Speculations turn out to be true again. Shocking.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Tippis posted:

Speculations turn out to be true again. Shocking.

It's a pretty obvious path from FDev's Planet Coaster and Zoo Tycoon.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

DatonKallandor posted:

The AI flies around in super modded out ships and is generally better. If you played before your combat rank probably means you are fighting enemies way out of your league because your combat ship sucks.

No mods for NPC's they just use FA-off, pip management and had their aggression turned up.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Do turreted MCs work well for Pythons? I'm thinking of going two large gimballed beams for shields and switching to 3 turreted "target only" MCs to chew up armor. Is this a viable strat?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Is it too late for:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Morningwoodpecker posted:

No mods for NPC's they just use FA-off, pip management and had their aggression turned up.

i've definitely run into ships packing railguns, space shotguns, and plasma cannons in my recent plays which i don't remember them ever doing back when i was playing before but i don't know if that's different or i just wasn't paying attention

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Is it too late for:

It's never too late. Nor too early. It's always appropriate.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Wow. Did you see how the building just spawned there? It should take months of real time to be constructed and staffed. Catering to casuals is killing this game.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

actually something that always puzzled me i figured i should ask about, since the only two powerplant states are "deployed/undeployed", what's the point of having more than two power priority groups? is it the theoretical situation where your powerplant gets hit and loses some of its juice?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cowcaster posted:

actually something that always puzzled me i figured i should ask about, since the only two powerplant states are "deployed/undeployed", what's the point of having more than two power priority groups? is it the theoretical situation where your powerplant gets hit and loses some of its juice?

When you deploy hard points and cross your maximum power threshold, other modules deactivate in order to save power, in order of module priority.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

chaosapiant posted:

When you deploy hard points and cross your maximum power threshold, other modules deactivate in order to save power, in order of module priority.

Well, yeah, but why does the game have more settings than "keep this on when deploying" (priority 1) and "disable this when deploying" (priority 2). Those are the only 2 levels of consumption you can ever be at, right?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

chaosapiant posted:

but there's only two states, right? priority 2 is all the stuff that should shut off when you're deployed, priority 1 is all the stuff that needs to stay on. or is there some benefit to deactivating modules in a certain order?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

haveblue posted:

Well, yeah, but why does the game have more settings than "keep this on when deployed" (priority 1) and "disable this when deployed" (priority 2). Those are the only 2 levels of consumption you can ever be at, right?

You can have multiple fire groups. You could have one that's just a massive alpha strike, then a second group with a power sustainable hardpoint deployment, or another that just shoots chaff or counter measures/mines or reverse turrets while trying to escape. Different situations call for different profiles of what can/can't be shut down.

Thinking about it: some of those things don't require hard points to be deployed.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

haveblue posted:

Well, yeah, but why does the game have more settings than "keep this on when deploying" (priority 1) and "disable this when deploying" (priority 2). Those are the only 2 levels of consumption you can ever be at, right?

well i'm at least glad i'm making sense

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

chaosapiant posted:

You can have multiple fire groups. You could have one that's just a massive alpha strike, then a second group with a power sustainable hardpoint deployment, or another that just shoots chaff or counter measures/mines or reverse turrets while trying to escape. Different situations call for different profiles of what can/can't be shut down.

wait what aren't fire groups completely independent of power priority? or am i just learning now switching fire groups changes power consumption?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cowcaster posted:

wait what aren't fire groups completely independent of power priority? or am i just learning now switching fire groups changes power consumption?

If you don't have a weapon "chosen" in a fire group, it doesn't drain power when HPs are deployed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Cowcaster posted:

but there's only two states, right? priority 2 is all the stuff that should shut off when you're deployed, priority 1 is all the stuff that needs to stay on. or is there some benefit to deactivating modules in a certain order?

If your PP gets damaged there's a chance it could drop you to 50% power. Having your essentials (thrusters, FSD, etc) operating under that 50% threshold through module priority is key to getting out of a sticky situation alive without the whole "spinning hopelessly in space" problem.

chaosapiant posted:

If you don't have a weapon "chosen" in a fire group, it doesn't drain power when HPs are deployed.

Yes it does. You're confusing capacitor draw with power draw.

• Locked thread