Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I'm
Glad
Mass
Effect
Is
Dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sky Shadowing posted:

Of course they're not done with the games.

They have no further plans but at some point in the future someone will say "hey you know what was a really good and popular franchise? Mass Effect! Let's make another one!" Because the Free Market Dictates Things That Were Popular must be driven into the ground at least 5 times before they die for good.

Yeah, I think this right.

Mass Effect was too big and successful to kill after one flop. It's being shelved indefinitely, but 5 years from now I wouldn't be surprised if they announced a thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

fruit on the bottom posted:

Mass Effect was too big and successful to kill after one flop. It's being shelved indefinitely, but 5 years from now I wouldn't be surprised if they announced a thing.

I'd say more like 10-15 years down the line, but I also wouldn't be surprised if the entire franchise just disappeared into the ether like Wing Commander and SimCity and other greats EA swallowed.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Two flops.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

I'd say more like 10-15 years down the line, but I also wouldn't be surprised if the entire franchise just disappeared into the ether like Wing Commander and SimCity and other greats EA swallowed.

Ultima. Never forget Ultima. Not the lovely griefing simulator MMO, the game series they drained talent from to make the lovely griefing simulator MMO.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

It seems like Anthem is going to be BIoware's new Sci-Fi franchise. Unless that flops too, but they are more likely to just kill the Bioware name than try to revive Mass Effect.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

ME3 was a commercial and critical success even with the uproar over the endings.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

ME3 was a commercial and critical success even with the uproar over the endings.

Commercial, yeah I guess. And only because it was a "critical" success due to game press being absolute garbage. The ending uproar killed it and the entire series lmao. You can't call it a critical success at all, unless pure going by preview scores or some poo poo.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I'm
Glad
Mass
Effect
Is
Dead

i wanted to gently caress more aliens

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Kurtofan posted:

i wanted to gently caress more aliens

I'm glad you can't because thats hosed up imho

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
In a perfect world, EA will bring Mass Effect back as a lovely MMO. This time it will surely work.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Yes but can we gently caress cats in the MMO

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Admiral Ray posted:

In a perfect world, EA will bring Mass Effect back as a lovely MMO. This time it will surely work.

Can I be a Krogan all the time?

An ME3 Krogan preferably?

Because I'm fine with that

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Burkion posted:

Can I be a Krogan all the time?

An ME3 Krogan preferably?

Because I'm fine with that
Actually it would be pretty boss if they finally let us be non-humans.

widespread posted:

Yes but can we gently caress cats in the MMO

Yes but only as part of the end game content at level 69.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Game really really bad. Franchise ending level bad.

Mac Walters' mission is complete. He Kai Leng-ed it. Great job, Mac! I admire your artistic integrity.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

ashpanash posted:

Game really really bad. Franchise ending level bad.

Mac Walters' mission is complete. He Kai Leng-ed it. Great job, Mac! I admire your artistic integrity.

Mac Walters smiled as he installed ME:A on his unsuspecting victim's console, then erased it. The victim would never know the game had been there at all, but Mac Walters knew. The console was now, and always would be in a way, his.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why did they not go to one of the milky way's satellite galaxies?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I suppose because once they got there they wouldn't have ME relays to run around with, so they went to Andromeda because their telescopes told them a single cluster was unusually rich with life-sustaining planets.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

I'm never entirely certain how much influence to ascribe to these folks because while there's not that many of them they're so active that they tend to drive a higher percentage of the discourse than you'd think given their numbers

so if you're some normie wondering "hey is X a good game" and X is a game the crazies have decided they don't like (whether correctly or incorrectly) you're gonna see the tanking metacritic fan rating and maybe have some second thoughts

It was the sheer volume of that brand of crazies and the flip-side of them that were extremely mad about poo poo like DAI ambassador lady being having "white features" or Cullen not being gay or whatever, that helped bury BW. BSN closing should've been the canary in the coal mine.

lovely fans, lovely game, lovely writers all conspired to kill Mass Effect and probably BioWare sooner rather than later.

im cute fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 20, 2017

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Bioware just needs to burn it to the ground and do something new again. ME was a brand new attempt at a big budget sci-fi RPG, something in insanely short supply back in 2006. DA:O was a labor of love to make the classic WRPG PC games into a modern big budget game. They both succeeded tremendously well, both trilogies are great examples for some of the best of the genre despite all the problems. Some cyberpunk or modern day weirdo magic like Shadowrun where they are creating the IP from the ground up would probably spark a lot of creative fires and generate some good work rather then creepy staff writers coming in and writing the characters like their personal fanfics.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

MmE: Mass May Effect

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

pentyne posted:

Bioware just needs to burn it to the ground and do something new again. ME was a brand new attempt at a big budget sci-fi RPG, something in insanely short supply back in 2006. DA:O was a labor of love to make the classic WRPG PC games into a modern big budget game. They both succeeded tremendously well, both trilogies are great examples for some of the best of the genre despite all the problems. Some cyberpunk or modern day weirdo magic like Shadowrun where they are creating the IP from the ground up would probably spark a lot of creative fires and generate some good work rather then creepy staff writers coming in and writing the characters like their personal fanfics.

"Bioware" as such is no longer a thing. EA is in control.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I still remember playing Lair of the Shadow Broker in ME2 and thinking "holy crap the rest of the Mass Effect games are gonna be amazzzinggg"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I just want a Jade Empire 2, dammit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just want a KOTOR 3 that wasn't written by retards like The Old Republic.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I liked ME3 a lot, especially with the SP DLC. That actually gave me hope for MEA since that had some of the coolest combat areas in the game.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cythereal posted:

"Bioware" as such is no longer a thing. EA is in control.

No glands, replaced by EA. No digestive system, replaced by EA. No soul. Replaced by EA. Whatever they were, gone forever.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

pentyne posted:

They were doing some kind of urban horror game at some point but it was canned.

ME's gone. I don't think DA has that much more staying power. Anthem looks like derivative garbage.

im cute posted:

It was the sheer volume of that brand of crazies and the flip-side of them that were extremely mad about poo poo like DAI ambassador lady being having "white features" or Cullen not being gay or whatever, that helped bury BW. BSN closing should've been the canary in the coal mine.

lovely fans, lovely game, lovely writers all conspired to kill Mass Effect and probably BioWare sooner rather than later.

Yeah. By the end of it, Bioware was catching flak from both sides of the stupid online 'culture war' because they tried to place themselves as a Very Progressive company. Maybe it'll be a lesson to not court either side of that stupid thing in the future but who knows.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Milky Moor posted:

Maybe it'll be a lesson to not court either side of that stupid thing in the future but who knows.

The problem is, trying to avoid the culture war just courts another side. There are people who will scream bloody murder if there are gay people in a game, and other people will scream just as loud if there aren't gay people in a game. There is no winning option with fans.

As it stands, Bioware is one of the very, very few big names in gaming who routinely do let protagonists be women and be queer. I'd hate for Bioware to back off on that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Bioware could get away with seeming progressive earlier in the decade when the bar was letting your dude gently caress other dudes but it never really moved beyond cheap thrills, meanwhile many games that actually addressed social issues in a genuine way revealed just how shallow their understanding of them was. Krem was a good character at least.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

exquisite tea posted:

Bioware could get away with seeming progressive earlier in the decade when the bar was letting your dude gently caress other dudes but it never really moved beyond cheap thrills, meanwhile many games that actually addressed social issues in a genuine way revealed just how shallow their understanding of them was. Krem was a good character at least.

And yet most companies still don't clear that bar. Or let you play as a woman.

For all their faults, Bioware is still one of the exceedingly few non-indie outfits that gives you those options.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cythereal posted:

The problem is, trying to avoid the culture war just courts another side. There are people who will scream bloody murder if there are gay people in a game, and other people will scream just as loud if there aren't gay people in a game. There is no winning option with fans.

As it stands, Bioware is one of the very, very few big names in gaming who routinely do let protagonists be women and be queer. I'd hate for Bioware to back off on that.

You get flack no matter what, but in my experience you tend to get more if you brag about your affiliation. If you just have something, (let's say you have, I dunno, one of your squadmates casually mention her wife is going to kill her if she's late, or your commanding officer has a Rosary) then people on the side that likes it, assuming you don't blatantly gently caress things up, tend to go "hey, neat, the dev gives a poo poo about people like me/ things I care about", and the people who don't like it mostly roll their eyes and move on. You still get assholes who get loud and angry about it, but you're also likely (again, assuming you don't gently caress it up) to get people making pleasantly surprised noises about how you handled things, or that it's nice to see people trying.

Once you make a point of Being On A Side, people ON that side hold you to a standard, and often (since this is the internet) an absurd one, where the slightest deviation from the approved forms means you're a heretic, while the people opposed to that side will treat you as an enemy from the jump. And when you make something bad enough to be a free target anyway... well. That's blood in the water.

It's like anything else. People judge you by the standards you set as well as the standards they hold. And the greater the heights you claim to aspire to, the easier it is to tear you down.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'm probably too moderate to be relevant on ~minority ethics in videogames~ but I think just doing homework on your "subject" would prevent hilarious backfires like with Andromedas transgender character. I can't help but feel most videogames devs are in 99% middle-upper class suburbia.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

For every character at the level of Arcade Gannon, we have a dozen instances of Muscle March.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

People say this, but Krem was less a character than a PSA

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

People say this, but Krem was less a character than a PSA

This is always funny when it comes up because Bull only reprimands you if you continue to insist Krem's a girl.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

exquisite tea posted:

This is always funny when it comes up because Bull only reprimands you if you continue to insist Krem's a girl.

Also, Krem is on screen for about ten seconds.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Not if you don't kill the Chargers, which you would be a monster for doing.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Also, Krem is on screen for about ten seconds.

Exactly. That dialogue is the only substantial interaction with Krem in the game

Edit: though I did kill the Chargers, not sorry about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

i don't know if i like the narrative that bioware was only pretend-progressive earlier in their company history because all they had to do was be mildly inclusive to stay ahead of the curve - they courted controversy and boycott with what little they did do ~10 years ago and they did find it to an extent; the company as a whole did bear some risk for attaching otherwise sound games that would've safely sold well regardless to the sort of content that potentially stirs up the WASP nests when they could've safely avoided that all together

apparently choosing to remain similarly progressive in 2017, like still ahead of the curve in an era when it's now pretty safe to just stick to their tried-and-true bread-and-butter ss romances and non-hetero characters, is a thing they continue to bear risks for both when they succeed along their minimal terms (krem) since it still stirs up people who complain about sjws & tumblr or whatever, and when they fail along their terms (hainly) since that seems to offend both the tumblr crowd, for the gall of having a bad depiction, and the anti-tumblr crowd, for 'selling out' by having any depiction at all

i'm sure bioware's understanding of the issues could stand improvement so they can succeed instead of fail at these things but i also wouldn't say that their progressiveness is an illusion or some kind of marketing trick