Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Taima posted:

What would happen if you got a replacement for a space black gen 0? I don't think they even made a gen 1 space black. I think they only returned on gen 2.

You are falling prey to apples incredibly dumb and confusing branding scheme.
There was the OG Gen1 Apple Watch released in May-ish 2015 that had the sport, watch (stainless and SBSS) and gold Edition releases. All the same guts inside, just a different case and screen. This is unofficially called a series 0.
Then there was the new 2nd generation of the Apple Watch, the series 1 and series 2.
Series 1 was only available in the sport models.
Series 2 was available in sport, Watch (again SS and SBSS), and Edition in white ceramic.
They both had a new upgraded more efficient and power processor and more ram(I think?), while the S2 added GPS, increased "swimproof" water resistance and a slightly larger battery.
So, a very long answer to a simple question. The SBSS only came in OG Gen1 s0 and 2nd gen s0. I predict it will be back in the next gen because it is the superior Apple Watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Taima posted:

What would happen if you got a replacement for a space black gen 0? I don't think they even made a gen 1 space black. I think they only returned on gen 2.

Yea, Series 1 is the poverty spec that only comes in aluminum. I'm allowed to say that because I own a Series 1.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Taima posted:

I asked a little while ago (when original sports ones were getting replaced with S1) and someone mentioned they're still doing original replacements for it.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Stainless steel models are still getting the same replacement. The only models that seem to be getting the bump at this time are the sport models.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

They ran the battery diagnostic on my watch which said the battery was fine :crossarms:

I took it off the charger today at 7 am and at 2:30 it was under 40%. No workouts very few notifications.

The guy just un paired it and re paired it and set it up as a new watch which I doubt will fix the issue. He said we could still send it off but it's not likely they would fix it seeing as how the diagnostic said the battery is good.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, when it comes to batteries, Apple relies heavily on the diagnostics, and won’t even let you pay for a new one in iOS devices unless they show up as failing or below a certain capacity threshold. I somewhat understand this for iPads and watches, since they end up giving you a whole unit replacement, but I don’t understand why they do it with phones since unless the battery is swollen, the actual battery gets replaced instead of the entire phone.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Possibly to avoid “I paid $79 for a new battery and it didn’t fix anything!” situations.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

They ran the battery diagnostic on my watch which said the battery was fine :crossarms:

I took it off the charger today at 7 am and at 2:30 it was under 40%. No workouts very few notifications.

The guy just un paired it and re paired it and set it up as a new watch which I doubt will fix the issue. He said we could still send it off but it's not likely they would fix it seeing as how the diagnostic said the battery is good.

Which means it’s an app causing it to do so. He’s right. If it passes battery there will be no repair done to it. Unpairing and re-pairing is a great first step. Second is to take away apps one by one to see what’s causing it.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
[quote="“WithoutTheFezOn”" post="“475306641”"]
Possibly to avoid “I paid $79 for a new battery and it didn’t fix anything!” situations.
[/quote]

This. Empty Baggie, I don’t know why you think throwing a battery at a situation is good when it could have nothing to do with the battery, and then the customer is out almost $100.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

This. Empty Baggie, I don’t know why you think throwing a battery at a situation is good when it could have nothing to do with the battery, and then the customer is out almost $100.

I wasn’t trying to imply that it is a good idea, but if a customer is told just that and is still insistent on replacing the battery, it doesn’t always make my job easier to tell them tough poo poo. Placebo effect, if anything.

E: and I guess what I left out of my previous comment was that I don’t understand why Apple is so strict with iOS batteries when they don’t seem to give a poo poo about diagnostic results on an out of warranty Mac battery (in warranty is an entirely different situation and they definitely care about diag results) and will let anyone purchase a new laptop battery or top case w/ battery out of warranty. Hell, there’s even a different part number with discounted rate for out of warranty top cases with built in batteries vs in warranty. It’s just a little inconsistent in my mind.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 13, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

empty baggie posted:

I wasn’t trying to imply that it is a good idea, but if a customer is told just that and is still insistent on replacing the battery, it doesn’t always make my job easier to tell them tough poo poo. Placebo effect, if anything.

E: and I guess what I left out of my previous comment was that I don’t understand why Apple is so strict with iOS batteries when they don’t seem to give a poo poo about diagnostic results on an out of warranty Mac battery (in warranty is an entirely different situation and they definitely care about diag results) and will let anyone purchase a new laptop battery or top case w/ battery out of warranty. Hell, there’s even a different part number with discounted rate for out of warranty top cases with built in batteries vs in warranty. It’s just a little inconsistent in my mind.

That’s not inconsistent. If you just need a battery, and they need to replace the top case, they’ll just charge what the battery costs. If someone comes in and says give me a new battery, and diags shows it passing, why would Apple position a battery replacement? It’s not going to fix the issue. Customer then gets pissed because they paid for a battery and issue persists. Sometimes the customer is not right, and they think it has to be the battery. Chrome is a great example of making people think their battery is the problem.

You have to have the hard conversations because the diags don’t lie. Inform and educate the customer that Snapchat actually used 44% of the battery and a new one won’t fix it. If they push and push and push, then sure, but put it in your notes that it’s what the customer wanted and it will not resolve the issue, and have them sign off on that note.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king

You have to have the hard conversations because the diags don’t lie.

They definitely do. When the sudden shutdown issue was happening on iPhones 6s it didn't show up on the battery diagnostics at all, for example. I was lucky to get an Apple store employee who replaced my phone anyway, even with clear diagnostics. Apple identified the issue later and offered replacements for all affected serial numbers.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

jawbroken posted:

They definitely do. When the sudden shutdown issue was happening on iPhones 6s it didn't show up on the battery diagnostics at all, for example. I was lucky to get an Apple store employee who replaced my phone anyway, even with clear diagnostics. Apple identified the issue later and offered replacements for all affected serial numbers.

You’re absolutely right for that issue for the 6s shutdown program. For the vast majority of the diagnostics though, they can be followed.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Welp, if you have Aetna-based health insurance, and can wait till next year:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/08/14/apple-aetna-major-hospital-chains-allegedly-teaming-up-for-customer-discounts-on-apple-watch

Would be great if my health insurance would save me money on a watch that will phone home my doctor after my glucose and blood pressure shoot into lunar orbit..

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

The vast majority of customers will see apples diagnostic results and will accept that there’s nothing physically wrong with the phone battery, and will follow our suggestions to improve their battery experience. But there are those extremely rare occasions where that isn’t enough for the customer and they want to purchase a new battery no matter what. And IMHO, that should be their right as owners of whatever device they’re claiming to have issues with, but these situations typically end in one of two ways. Either the customer calls Apple, bitches and moans for 20 minutes, and get an exception for a free phone replacement, even though they were perfectly willing to purchase the battery, or the customer leaves our store, goes to a mall kiosk or batteries plus or whatever other place that will do repairs with 3rd party parts, and almost always something goes wrong with the repair, so they’re back in our store wanting their phone fixed even though it now has a third party battery, and all we can do is send them on their way. Either scenario puts us in a bad spot no matter what the outcome, but I guess that’s just part of being attached to the Apple ecosphere without really being in it.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

That’s not inconsistent. If you just need a battery, and they need to replace the top case, they’ll just charge what the battery costs. If someone comes in and says give me a new battery, and diags shows it passing, why would Apple position a battery replacement? It’s not going to fix the issue. Customer then gets pissed because they paid for a battery and issue persists. Sometimes the customer is not right, and they think it has to be the battery. Chrome is a great example of making people think their battery is the problem.

You have to have the hard conversations because the diags don’t lie. Inform and educate the customer that Snapchat actually used 44% of the battery and a new one won’t fix it. If they push and push and push, then sure, but put it in your notes that it’s what the customer wanted and it will not resolve the issue, and have them sign off on that note.

You’re missing my point when it comes to laptop batteries. Whether diagnostics fail or not, a customer can have their battery or top case replaced out of warranty, no questions asked. What I was trying to convey is that I don’t know why they’re gonna be so strict on iOS batteries but not MacBook batteries. It doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things, but if a customer spends $700+ on a phone, understands that diagnostics show the battery as fine but the customer just wants to replace it for piece of mind if anything, why can’t that customer just pony up the cash and get their new battery? Sure, it probably won’t fix anything, but that customer owns that device, and Apple is tying their hands when all they want to do is replace something on a device they own (ignoring the full unit replacements in watches, iPads, and in some circumstances where the battery is swollen in a phone, which would allow them to get a battery replacement anyway). I understand why iOS devices are locked down as much as they are in terms of repairs, but my main question is that why aren’t they as strict with their laptop batteries?

I’m aware this is a dumb conversation, but I’m just pondering why there’s a difference beyond the obvious.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Pure guess:

iOS devices keep Apple in business, laptops are just gravy. If there is a potential user satisfaction rate risk, especially one that would be spewed all over the Internet, it would be significantly worse if it was about the iPhone than if it was about a MacBook.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, that’s probably the case. It’s just the tip of the iceberg as far as strange apple decisions when it comes to the way they handle certain repairs. Some make complete sense, like iOS repairs. Others are more confusing, but then again, things have changed a lot in the past 5 years when it comes to their internal policies.

E: anyway, sorry for the detail. Apple has been rather confusing lately when it comes to my stores experiences, in way more ways than just this discussion, but we still have PSP status, so I guess I shouldn’t question them too much.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 20, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

empty baggie posted:

Yeah, that’s probably the case. It’s just the tip of the iceberg as far as strange apple decisions when it comes to the way they handle certain repairs. Some make complete sense, like iOS repairs. Others are more confusing, but then again, things have changed a lot in the past 5 years when it comes to their internal policies.

E: anyway, sorry for the detail. Apple has been rather confusing lately when it comes to my stores experiences, in way more ways than just this discussion, but we still have PSP status, so I guess I shouldn’t question them too much.

It was a civil discussion and came to a conclusion so I think it went well!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Is there a Now Playing complication that I’m missing (or possibly in the next OS version)? I see the Music one.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Edit: Nevermind, misunderstood the question.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Is there a Now Playing complication that I’m missing (or possibly in the next OS version)? I see the Music one.

Not in OS3 anyway.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

OS4 has it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Cool. That extra button press was wearing me out.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The auto-display of Now Playing on the watch when there's media content playing or active on your phone is a GAME. CHANGER.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
My watch is no longer unlocking with my phone and seems to randomly lock throughout the day. I've restored it twice. The first time was from a backup and the second time I set it up as a new watch. I cleaned the sensor on the back really well because I thought that might be part of it. Any ideas? It's an S0 so it's a little over 2 years old.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rubiks Pubes posted:

My watch is no longer unlocking with my phone and seems to randomly lock throughout the day. I've restored it twice. The first time was from a backup and the second time I set it up as a new watch. I cleaned the sensor on the back really well because I thought that might be part of it. Any ideas? It's an S0 so it's a little over 2 years old.

Hang tight a couple weeks and see how it behaves with iOS 11 and the new WatchOS.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Would now be a foolish time to buy an apple watch series 2? Does the price go down when the new ones come out?

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

rdb posted:

Would now be a foolish time to buy an apple watch series 2? Does the price go down when the new ones come out?

Usually does for the old model, yeah.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

rdb posted:

Well do you need a series 2? It has specific features that are not applicable to everyone.

Personally if I had to buy a new watch right this second I would buy a space black DLC coating Series 0. For most people, there is no great reason to get the newer models, and the DLC coating is EXTREMELY good.

As in, wear the watch for years and it's still in 100% mint quality good.

That being said, by all accounts the new watch should have LTE data, so if that's something that appeals to you, you may want to wait.

Overall the Apple Watch is in a weird place. Watch OS3 made the old models extremely good, and as someone who has a series 0 on Watch OS4, I can tell you that S0 continues to be very good with this new version.

Don't just buy the newest model, do the research on what you want.

Again, I personally submit that for most people the best bang for your buck is S0 space black, but YMMV depending on why exactly you need the watch.

I suspect that another good buy may be the S2 ceramic version, once things have settled down with the new model.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I just wanted one with the sapphire screen. Mostly for maps and messages etc while riding my motorcycle. I always wear full gear so I was thinking the sapphire/stainless would scratch less on jacket snaps or if it caught road debris/dust etc.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
In my opinion, the gold goes best with different band colours.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

rdb posted:

I just wanted one with the sapphire screen. Mostly for maps and messages etc while riding my motorcycle. I always wear full gear so I was thinking the sapphire/stainless would scratch less on jacket snaps or if it caught road debris/dust etc.

Yeah. I would totally get a S0 stainless or space black. No need for the newer models.

Bear in mind that the stainless tends to develop a "patina" of micro-scratches which some people like and some people don't. If you want to keep your watch spotless, the only actual option is the Space Black diamond-like coating. Unless of course you spring for the ceramic S2 watch.

In my opinion, the gold goes best with different band colours.

The gold watch is Sports model only, he specified sapphire screen.

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 26, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Taima posted:

Yeah. I would totally get a S0 stainless or space black. No need for the newer models.

Bear in mind that the stainless tends to develop a "patina" of micro-scratches which some people like and some people don't. If you want to keep your watch spotless, the only actual option is the Space Black diamond-like coating. Unless of course you spring for the ceramic S2 watch.

The gold watch is Sports model only, he specified sapphire screen.

I wound up with a space black stainless S2 42mm. I was planning on new anyways, and the coating is what sold me.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Not really sure why cellular capability is a big selling point, but maybe I'm spoiled by living in a city where there's always some sort of wifi available. The few times I haven't had my phone with me, the watch did a perfectly cromulent job of echoing my phone notifications remotely.

(then again I'm a heathen monster perfectly happy with his Series 1)

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Lum_ posted:

Not really sure why cellular capability is a big selling point, but maybe I'm spoiled by living in a city where there's always some sort of wifi available. The few times I haven't had my phone with me, the watch did a perfectly cromulent job of echoing my phone notifications remotely.

Yeah, cellular without the ability to make calls. I don't get it either. Apparently you can stream music, but I don't know too many people who want to listen to music on their watch. Or send/receive texts, which I suppose is slightly useful. It would be nice if they made screen repairs cheaper, so I could fix mine for less than $250. But I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

Or send/receive texts, which I suppose is slightly useful.

Pretty sure you can do that on wifi.

Edit: this link says just iMessage but pretty sure it works with all messages in practice

https://watchaware.com/post/12468/apple-watch-can-send-and-receive-messages-without-iphone

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think they mean without the phone being connected.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I make calls on my watch all the time. Being able to completely leave my phone at home for a day at the water park, or a long run while still staying connected sounds awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
The battery in my launch day Series 0 started the budge, and the screen popped off, while I was talking to someone.

Called Apple, got a free replacement, and they just shipped a Series 1, so that's cool.

• Locked thread