Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Generally speaking, depending on others for success is often a recipe for frustration in this wonderful videogame at which I am bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The key is grouping with others. You won't necessarily be any more coordinated, but unless your friends are huge assholes you'll at least be insulated from people throwing and complaining just because you decided to play a certain character.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
A good number of people don't solo queue because they want to. I'm the only one among my friends that got an Xbone for the most part so I'm poo poo out of luck unless some goons are on and willing.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I think I've locked down what I really hate about Doomfist right now

He's the only "good" hero in a sea of garbage. The current meta is so loving lackluster, you're either Doomfist running around one shotting half the cast or you're firing nerf darts at everyone else, unless you're the Reaper jamming his guns up DVA and Winston's buttholes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's a weird and incorrect concept of doomfist. the idea that he's the only good thing out there is kinda insane to me

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

he crushes the pro/high end comp meta of tracer/genji/dva/winston/lucio/zenyatta and has one of the highest winrates in the game.

what's not to get

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he's barely been playing in the high end comp meta. there's a pro game going right now where he's not on either team in spite of both running dive. he is not the only good hero in the game

one team is literally running bastion right now in contenders and there's no doomfist

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The meta will change to adjust to him. Ive found that in scrims if we're up against fist, we run a slower comp. at one point we ran hog/d.va to bodyblock his punches and catch him once he did it. Turned every fight into a 6v5

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

he's barely been playing in the high end comp meta. there's a pro game going right now where he's not on either team in spite of both running dive. he is not the only good hero in the game

one team is literally running bastion right now in contenders and there's no doomfist

he's not allowed in pro games mate

dogstile posted:

The meta will change to adjust to him. Ive found that in scrims if we're up against fist, we run a slower comp. at one point we ran hog/d.va to bodyblock his punches and catch him once he did it. Turned every fight into a 6v5

yeah, roadhog is okay against him but then you're playing roadhog and the doomfist just attempts to go elsewhere. fixing the hitboxes will help get rid of bad doomfists, but the good ones will just keep getting better at him until everyone accepts that adding Stronger, Cooler Genji With Ability To OHKO was a bad idea and he gets the roadhog treatment.

Minera fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 20, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Minrad posted:

he's not allowed in pro games mate

he is allowed in contenders (which I am talking about) and apex. he was not allowed in the group stages of the world cup

e: doomfist was played yesterday (I only watched the vods of like half of the first match but tviq definitely played him on lijiang). it's not that he's bad, but he's pretty clearly not "the only good hero" or else he'd be on every team like lucio

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 20, 2017

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Contenders is on the Doomfist patch, Envyus used him in their match against Immortals.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
[quote="Minrad" post=""475562051"]

yeah, roadhog is okay against him but then you're playing roadhog and the doomfist just attempts to go elsewhere. fixing the hitboxes will help get rid of bad doomfists, but the good ones will just keep getting better at him until everyone accepts that adding Stronger, Cooler Genji With Ability To OHKO was a bad idea and he gets the roadhog treatment.
[/quote]

We all stick together in this case, wheres he gonna go?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Minrad posted:

Doomfist is literally every half-serious suggestion and complaint people had for nerfing Roadhog rolled into a single character, is the funny thing. His rocket punch does literally the lowest amount of damage it's possible to deal in the game and qualify as a 1HKO against anyone not named Tracer. He does less burst than Hog ever did at his peak, less than a Hanzo headshot. He literally can't one-shot anyone with more than 200 health, a Symmetra shield generator would prevent him from doing so to anyone in the game. His ability to do this sends him towards the enemy team instead of pulling enemies towards him. He has less than half the health Roadhog does and no self-heal on demand. His default weapon is massively less threatening than Roadhog's was, if you were good at using M2 airbursts you could threaten people even without your hook. Being hacked screws him over royally. Etc.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The best team in South Korea got completely shut out by another team using Doomfist and Pharah.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

dogstile posted:

We all stick together in this case, wheres he gonna go?

prob just dive and do this since he gets even more shields when he's aoeing and his ult has zero windup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8YvUT5i_DM

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

Doomfist is literally every half-serious suggestion and complaint people had for nerfing Roadhog rolled into a single character, is the funny thing. His rocket punch does literally the lowest amount of damage it's possible to deal in the game and qualify as a 1HKO against anyone not named Tracer. He does less burst than Hog ever did at his peak, less than a Hanzo headshot. He literally can't one-shot anyone with more than 200 health, a Symmetra shield generator would prevent him from doing so to anyone in the game. His ability to do this sends him towards the enemy team instead of pulling enemies towards him. He has less than half the health Roadhog does and no self-heal on demand. His default weapon is massively less threatening than Roadhog's was, if you were good at using M2 airbursts you could threaten people even without your hook. Being hacked screws him over royally. Etc.

Do you even play this game?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

SKULL.GIF posted:

Enough that I don't find Doomfist to be the oppressive pall over every game that he's apparently being made out to be.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I ask because that big blargphle you posted is basically reading off his stats with no actual input from experience playing as/against Doomfist.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I mean hes not wrong, the problem is that the counter to doomfist right now is stay behind your tanks and hit him when he nails them rather than you. I expect the winrate will go down, eapecially when they nerf the hitbox as its really generous right now.

Minrad posted:

prob just dive and do this since he gets even more shields when he's aoeing and his ult has zero windup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8YvUT5i_DM

That requires an ult you can speedboost away from (and we leave our zen out as bait, then bubble him if we're playing zarya).

People are developing anti fist tactics, its just early days with him, way to early to say if hes fundamentally broken or not.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I mean my experience playing against Doomfist is that after you get used to how weird it is to have to jerk your aim upwards to follow Rising Uppercut he's not that hard to deal with.

I'm also the first person to remind people that personal experience doesn't mean poo poo and you should look at the numbers first, last, and in-between. And the numbers say "he's good but his comp winrate is within 2% of every other offense hero" and "his tournament presence is minimal because he's still not allowed in some contexts and people are still just running dive the usual way in the ones where he is allowed."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

SKULL.GIF posted:

I ask because that big blargphle you posted is basically reading off his stats with no actual input from experience playing as/against Doomfist.

I've done both. Sombra actually does clown on Doomfist more than she does a lot of other characters and more than she did Roadhog, hacking a Doomfist is extremely satisfying because it robs them of all their abilities including the stuff they use to escape. Of course you have to actually play Sombra and this still tilts people but, I mean, if someone is running riot over you then maybe you need to think about switching tactics. I've been one-punched by Doomfist and done some one-punching but I've also had plenty of occurrences on both sides where the punch misses and suddenly someone is badly out of position and it's easier in my experience to punish Doomfist than it was Roadhog. I also play a lot of Soldier and while Soldier is as vulnerable to getting punched as any 200 hitpoint hero I've done fairly well by doing standard Soldier things of sticking to high ground and taking advantage of his large hitbox. I haven't played a lot of Zarya lately but I hear that she's actually pretty decent against Doomfist as well so maybe I should brush her off.

And, I mean, at the level I'm playing at a lot of Doomfists are still flubbing their stuff. Wasting uppercuts to try and escape but not making it all the way to the top, overshooting ground slams, etc. I have not found him uniquely ruinous to my enjoyment of the game or an unstoppable menace, no.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the problem with doomfist is that it will never actually matter how good or balanced he is; people are still gonna complain about getting punched into a wall until he's as bad as roadhog. he is good right now I'd be shocked if they don't nerf him into oblivion over time

doesn't help that everyone is naturally averse to a lot of the things that he has trouble with. sombra has a bad rep outside of the highest levels of play, mccree has been out of favor for a while, people will think you're actively trolling for picking stuff like mei/roadhog, etc. tanks are hard for him to fight in general but you don't see a lot of people talking about how hard killing reinhardt with doomfist is. doomfist is good against a lot of stuff but not everything

Fabricated posted:

The best team in South Korea got completely shut out by another team using Doomfist and Pharah.

the best team in korea didn't have as much experience with doomfist as most and were fielding a new player that hadn't been on a pro team in half a year. it was super impressive and it'll be a real problem for lh later in the group stages, but context is important here. it wasn't just the doomfist being good that won them that game; it was the other team not even trying to counter pick them at all and playing below their own level

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Fabricated posted:

Not discounting what MVP Space accomplished, but LH likely haven't scrimmed or practiced against Doomfist-centric comps that much due to travelling, and they also reinserted Leetaejun into their starting lineup who looked a bit rusty both in individual play and team synergy.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

doesn't help that everyone is naturally averse to a lot of the things that he has trouble with. sombra has a bad rep outside of the highest levels of play, mccree has been out of favor for a while, people will think you're actively trolling for picking stuff like mei/roadhog, etc. tanks are hard for him to fight in general but you don't see a lot of people talking about how hard killing reinhardt with doomfist is. doomfist is good against a lot of stuff but not everything

This bit especially. DF has a lot of weaknesses and frankly way more counterplay choices than Roadhog ever did. Theres what? Five or six heroes who can completely destroy him. The problem however is that they're not the heroes who are currently in the meta, and some are even considered troll picks. Sombra and Junkrat for instance are great counters when used appropriately, but currently people get mad if they're used.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Hopefully if blizz get their poo poo together and start banning throwers, then i can run hog against doomfist without having to play the reassuring game with my team. Im one of the best hogs in the EU, i shouldnt have to put up with that

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Also mentioned before that, in my experience on both ends, Reaper is a 50/50 matchup against Doomfist. But none of this is gonna matter after his punch hitbox gets reduced on live and Doomfist goes into the trash like most other heroes in this lovely meta.

Edit: Probably doesn't help Doomfist any with any thread on the official forums trying to say how loving with his rocket punch hitbox isn't the best and getting down voted to hell. Just looking around in general the consensus is "1HKO=bad/Doomfist unhealthy for game/only snipers should 1HKO ever"

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 20, 2017

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

SKULL.GIF posted:

you can safely ignore every Kai Tave post. Actually just out him on Ignore and free up some screen space

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Autism Sneaks posted:

you can safely ignore every Kai Tave post. Actually just out him on Ignore and free up some screen space

Or not, because he actually has generally salient points, he's just a bit abrasive in his posting at times. Doomfist is not a broken hero, his winrates are stabilizing closer to a 50% winrate in competitive solo queue, and at a pro-level he's seeing play, but he's not ubiquitous as you normally see with broken heroes like 600 HP D.Va/ Current Winston/ Pre-nerf Ana.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 20, 2017

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Autism Sneaks posted:

Good username/post combo

E: whoops, read your name as autism speaks

dogstile fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 20, 2017

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

berenzen posted:

Or not, because he actually has generally salient points, he's just a bit abrasive in his posting at times.

Hmm weird how nobody ever complains about the other people that might be taking the same stance he does on any given issue because their posts don't read like they all start with an implied "You dense motherfucker,"

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

dogstile posted:

Good username/post combo

E: whoops, read your name as autism speaks

:lol:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Also I've yet to see a bad Kai Tave post in this thread :thunk:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

having played around with doomfist a bunch trying to get a feel for him it really seems to me the major complaint about him is his rocket punch splatting people with no chance to react. he's got some nice mobility but it seems really on par with every other offense hero, he's got some nice sustain with his shields, but not really much more than reaper, and his inability to do anything productive outside of spitting distance, save fish for an across the map alabama slammer is a very noticeable and substantial detriment that i haven't seen too many people pointing out. tracer has the same issue i guess but her rewind is a more effective get out of jail free button than the uppercut/slam combo.

i'm not a scientist though and also i love doomfist so this is hardly unbiased reporting

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

World Famous W posted:

A good number of people don't solo queue because they want to. I'm the only one among my friends that got an Xbone for the most part so I'm poo poo out of luck unless some goons are on and willing.

My friends list is 95% random people / the few goons who play this on PS4 that have added me but nobody ever seems to want to queue up together. :(

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

having played around with doomfist a bunch trying to get a feel for him it really seems to me the major complaint about him is his rocket punch splatting people with no chance to react. he's got some nice mobility

It's literally this. That's it. Every complaint I see is some different way of saying "I got one shot and there was no way around it!"

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Christ, I bet that if McCree came in right now, as he currently is, people would be bitching about flashbang-fth or flashbang-headshot-headshot.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

berenzen posted:

Christ, I bet that if McCree came in right now, as he currently is, people would be bitching about flashbang-fth or flashbang-headshot-headshot.

Pretty sure people haven't figured out that a well timed flashbang will actually stop a Doomfist punch entirely. Also the stigma of him being an off-meta character is a factor.

gently caress I read a thread the other day where people were honestly saying the hitbox reduction on rocket punch is actually a buff and will let you be more accurate with a punch. Example given was something like "Maybe there's a Zen peeking out from behind a tank. With the hitbox reduction you'll be able to punch snipe that Zen instead of hitting his tank shield!"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hitbox reduction is by far the least-offensive nerf they could have gone with. I've said this before but almost every character / weapon / model in this game could do with tighter hitboxes, it's just never going to happen because a) you kind of need loose hitboxes to compensate for the total lack of momentum in character movement in Overwatch and b) stuff being easy to hit just feels better and that's too valuable to Blizzard to give up.

Like this even gets me, there are games that are much better-designed than Overwatch in terms of competitive viability, fairness, and rewarding player skill, but those games don't hook you as easily because favor-the-shooter and super-generous hitboxes are just more viscerally satisfying.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 21, 2017

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think favor-the-shooter is good for rewarding player skill. It means that if you aim at someone correctly and fire you get the hit, rather than missing due to ping. It would be way more of a crapshoot otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think favor-the-shooter is good for rewarding player skill. It means that if you aim at someone correctly and fire you get the hit, rather than missing due to ping. It would be way more of a crapshoot otherwise.

Yeah, but it also limits the extent to which evasive behavior can be skilled. Plus Overwatch's version of "favor the shooter" is deliberately inconsistent from ability to ability and gun to gun. Some of this is just an inherent (and largely unsolvable) problem of playing games over the internet, with every solution being a compromise in one way or another, though.