Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

XyrlocShammypants posted:

We get it, Nintendo is the greatest company on earth and has no flaws, please understand

Splatoon 2s net code is better than 1 and could be easily improved further , but what you're trying to tell the rest of us isn't simply true for us so yes we think it's something on your end.

Happy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

Bill Barber posted:

Define play games "with"? Do you mean co-op multiplayer type stuff, or simply both of you sitting together and playing a video game? If it's the former I'd definitely get the Switch. It seems like developers are REALLY hammering the whole social/multiplayer aspect with the games they release for it. While they might not be triple-a games, a ton of the stuff in the eShop offers fun co-op and competitive local play.
Absolutely co-op or competitive multiplayer stuff - the only game she's played is Mario Kart years ago, so that's my starting point. I had no idea there even was an eShop - looks promising, thanks!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

LethalGeek posted:

Splatoon 2s net code is better than 1 and could be easily improved further , but what you're trying to tell the rest of us isn't simply true for us so yes we think it's something on your end.

Happy?

I'm telling you you're wrong, just like people who say Overcooked on Switch doesn't have problems are wrong, because they either don't notice these things or don't care. If you're B rank it doesn't matter if some kills are due to p2p issues or code, but if Nintendo wants this to be their marquee and only competitive multiplayer game for over a year then they have to do better. The thing is they won't and that's kind of sad

Also what does it being better than Splatoon 1 matter? Does that excuse the issues?

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Other people aren't having the issue you're having so we don't care.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
No it's because we willfully ignore them

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm telling you you're wrong, just like people who say Overcooked on Switch doesn't have problems are wrong, because they either don't notice these things or don't care. If you're B rank it doesn't matter if some kills are due to p2p issues or code, but if Nintendo wants this to be their marquee and only competitive multiplayer game for over a year then they have to do better. The thing is they won't and that's kind of sad

Also what does it being better than Splatoon 1 matter? Does that excuse the issues?

I I have been playing Splatoon one since the test fire. I seen all the things you're talking about and I don't see them anymore in the second version unless I'm playing with somebody in Japan or who simply doesn't have a good connection and the effects are describing only show up for them individually. I don't have problems shooting or being shot by the other people in the game.

You can convince yourself the rest of us are just putting blinders on or it's you. We all pretty much agree than Nintendo's net code totally needs work but it's not solely the source of your woes

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
The netcode issues do exist, but they happen rarely enough and randomly enough (you're equally as likely to be the guy who kills someone in 2 shots as you are the guy who gets killed in 2 shots) that it literally doesn't matter at all, especially when "advancing in rank". Sounds like you're just complaining cause you keep dying and you're trying to explain it away on lovely net code. You also claim that the weapon differences don't even matter which makes me question your understanding of the competitive game mechanics entirely.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Seriously though, I have a two-game rental plan from Gamefly and I currently have Splatoon 2 and Zelda out. I would need to return one of them by Tuesday or Wednesday in order to get Mario+Rabbids as soon as possible.

Should I try to beat Zelda by then (I have two beasts down, I think I could power through, right?) or should I return Splatoon 2? I beat the Splatoon campaign but I think I still enjoy playing it regularly and I kind of want to take part in the next Splatfest

Your first mistake was Gameflying BotW you monster.

Unless you aren't enjoying it, speeding through one of the best Zelda games, one of the best games in general imo, seems like a lame idea.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 20, 2017

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

S+ with 130+ hours into Splatoon 2 and I have literally once died to something that made me curse the netcode.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I've ran into netcode issues quite a few times, but it definitely wasn't as bad as that guy was saying.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Rather than rushing through Zelda I would just send it back with the intention of beating it later. It's OK to step away and play something more focused to stay fresh.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Yeah the saves are all stored on the console so if you get the game later you can pick up from where you left off

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

katkillad2 posted:

Your first mistake was Gameflying BotW you monster.

Unless you aren't enjoying it, speeding through one of the best Zelda games, one of the best games in general imo, seems like a lame idea.

Yeah, I am mostly not enjoying it. I realized that keeping BotW in my Switch was actively keeping me from playing anything because I didn't want to play it and I didn't want to take the effort to switch games.

Anyway I think I am going to resolve my dilemma by purchasing Splatoon 2

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Hmmm, there seems to be too much opinion here in this rumor piece and not enough actual substance.

But I can't wait for other places and people to start talking about it as if it were fact.

Especially considering a bunch of stuff is contradicted by other stuff that's happened in the past year.

Also the fact that the last year and a half or so has been the year where Nintendo-related rumors have been either exceedingly wrong or exceedingly right, no middle ground unless it's a part of the rumor made up by the person reporting on it themselves.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Anyway I think I am going to resolve my dilemma by purchasing Splatoon 2

:great:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

We get it, Nintendo is the greatest company on earth and has no flaws, please understand

No, it's just that, compared to the last two Call of Duty games (which use 10 tic servers even when they're not P2P), this is actually quite reasonable.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I don't know what this tic poo poo is but Splatoon 1 and 2 both feel much better connection-wise to me than Call of Duty or Gears of War. There's lag sometimes but it's easy to anticipate and deal with unlike those games imo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Hmmm, there seems to be too much opinion here in this rumor piece and not enough actual substance.

But I can't wait for other places and people to start talking about it as if it were fact.

Especially considering a bunch of stuff is contradicted by other stuff that's happened in the past year.

Also the fact that the last year and a half or so has been the year where Nintendo-related rumors have been either exceedingly wrong or exceedingly right, no middle ground unless it's a part of the rumor made up by the person reporting on it themselves.

Everyone things the magypsies are such huge problems but I really don't see it. They are no more weird or unlocalizable than Tingle.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

hosed up story, friends. A co-worker got her daughter a Switch for her birthday and we were all having a post work BBQ. She had yet to buy any games so I offered her to try out the good games I have bought for my Switch to see if her daughter liked any.

Her little brother was also there so they're playing ARMS and Mario Kart and Sonic Mania and being all cool with the single joycons so I don't think anything of it.

It's time to leave so I go grab my switch and it's only the little bro playing. He was playing Zelda. A NEW GAME of Zelda. :stonk:

Thankfully I caught it in time for me to load my previous save but seriously who the gently caress just goes and start a new game on someone else's console? loving rude.

I remember in grade school I went over to this kids house, and he had a snes and had sim city. He let me play it, and I decided to save my game, well there was only 2 save slots, and I had saved my game over his sisters save which she spent who knows how many hours on. She was in the next room and found out what happened, and her anger over losing her save overrided the fact that she had never met or seen me before, and she started calling me a fool and an idiot, while I tried hard not to laugh.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Both would be a shame if true but Megamix would be a good game to go out on for Rhythm Heaven and Mother 3 already has the best possible fan translation. I do think that eventually they'll just pay the people that made that and release it officially.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

I remember in grade school I went over to this kids house, and he had a snes and had sim city. He let me play it, and I decided to save my game, well there was only 2 save slots, and I had saved my game over his sisters save which she spent who knows how many hours on. She was in the next room and found out what happened, and her anger over losing her save overrided the fact that she had never met or seen me before, and she started calling me a fool and an idiot, while I tried hard not to laugh.

She was right though? :confused:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don't know what this tic poo poo is but Splatoon 1 and 2 both feel much better connection-wise to me than Call of Duty or Gears of War. There's lag sometimes but it's easy to anticipate and deal with unlike those games imo.

A tic is just how many times per second a server updates a player's location. Games with low tic rates often translate into you getting hit by somebody when you round a corner or conversely a hit not registering because a player is moving too fast or irregularly, depending on the net code.

It doesn't quite matter as much for Splatoon since the movement speed is on the slow side and the game doesn't focus too heavily on combat as other shooters anyways.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Seems like a fair story already, and something that seems pretty plausible. The team that worked on Rhythm Heaven got consolidated as did most Nintendo teams, so they could be busy on something else. And NoA getting cold feet about Mother 3 makes more sense than thinking NoJ had anything to do with it imo.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

quote:

Depicting Trans characters in a way that would likely insult both the political Left and the Right in the U.S., is the last kind of attention that Nintendo wants for themselves in 2017. They want nothing to do with those kinds of headlines and potential protests."

idgi

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Acknowledging trans people in any way may scare off bigots

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Magypsies aren't trans people.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I'm cis, but magypsies seem like a relatively benign portrayal of genderfluid people (as opposed to trans people).

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Cefte posted:

I'm looking to get a console purely to play games with my partner for an hour or two a week. Does the Switch offer anything beyond a minor graphics upgrade that she won't even notice, or is the game selection limited enough that there's little differential between it and a second-hand Wii U?

I haven't owned a console since an N64 (and do all my single-player gaming on PC). Halp!

A bit late to the party, but the second hand Wii U is much better than the Switch in your case, both financially and game selection wise. Also, there's absolutely no guarantee most of the Wii U games you'd want will ever get a Switch port, in spite of the thread hoping really hard. Honestly, thread is being dumb and offering terrible advice.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 20, 2017

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Kawabata posted:

A bit late to the party, but the second hand Wii U is much better than the Switch in your case, both financially and game selection wise. Also, there's absolutely no guarantee most of the Wii U games you'd want will ever get a Switch port, in spite of the thread hoping really hard. Honestly, thread is being dumb and offering terrible advice.
He didn't say anything about wanting any specific games.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Wii U is a bad purchase. they're not supported anywhere and any future Nintendo titles will not be on it. It's a dead console and has been for a year. it's fine to pick up if there's stuff you must have on there, but that doesn't seem the case.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

well why not posted:

Wii U is a bad purchase. they're not supported anywhere and any future Nintendo titles will not be on it. It's a dead console and has been for a year. it's fine to pick up if there's stuff you must have on there, but that doesn't seem the case.

please explain how someone that wants to play 1 hour a day with his partner and hasn't owned a console since N64 is better served by a 300$+ one with a tiny game selection vs a 100$ one that still is the best local multiplayer machine in the market

switch is cool and good but thread stop being dumb please

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Mario 3d World, Yoshi, and Captain Toad are great couch games with your SO, especially if they're not really gamers. Nintendo Land is surprisingly fun as well.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kawabata posted:

please explain how someone that wants to play 1 hour a day with his partner and hasn't owned a console since N64 is better served by a 300$+ one with a tiny game selection vs a 100$ one that still is the best local multiplayer machine in the market

Probably because the Switch is being actively supported and will continue to be support for the next 5 - 7 years

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Kawabata posted:

WiiU doesn't have Snipperclips.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Bill Barber posted:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah I have friends with that exact use case and a few months ago they picked up a used Wii U for $80. They use it to play Mario Kart and 3D World every so often and they seem happy with their decision

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Bill Barber posted:

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

How do I play Sonic games. Do I just keep going fast. If I pass something do I go slow and go back to get it. What if I see a platform above me but I didn't jump in time to get to it do I go back

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

Probably because the Switch is being actively supported and will continue to be support for the next 5 - 7 years

it seems you all missed the part where he wants this console to play 1 hour a day with his partner

1 hour a day with that backlog will last him until the switch is less expensive than a second hand wii u, why would he care about this weird 300$+ active support thing

in his case even a wii would be a much better purchase than a switch, that's how terrible your suggestions are

(but I feel the need to specify that the switch is cool and good regardless)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

LODGE NORTH posted:

How do I play Sonic games. Do I just keep going fast. If I pass something do I go slow and go back to get it. What if I see a platform above me but I didn't jump in time to get to it do I go back

think of sonic levels as high speed puzzles that you can clear however you like the first time. then you can find extra fun going back and replaying levels to figure out more efficient and or cool ways to clear them faster

• Locked thread