Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Sing was a pretty charming little movie. Didn't quite have the draw of a Pixar or Disney movie, but it was better than I thought it'd be.

Their cover of Elton John's "I'm Still Standing" was really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but it's a bad comparison.

Every sci-fi series is compared to BSG '04, and every criminal enterprise series is compared to BB.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Rolo posted:

Sing was a pretty charming little movie. Didn't quite have the draw of a Pixar or Disney movie, but it was better than I thought it'd be.

Their cover of Elton John's "I'm Still Standing" was really good.

It was a lot more charming than I thought it would be.

I just watched all of Atypical. There were some really good performances but also some noticeably pretty shots and really good audio cues. It's just really good, imo, is what I'm saying.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm watching Atypical now, on the second episode. It's really good.

edit; got halfway through episode 5 and it's still really good. The main character reminds me of Justin Long.

wormil has a new favorite as of 05:44 on Aug 19, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

Every sci-fi series is compared to BSG '04, and every criminal enterprise series is compared to BB.

my first username on this comedy website was JustFrakkingDoIt (from BSG: Razor)

I never finished BSG though

never finished Lost

never finished Deadwood

never Finnish

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Hey I'm Finnish you rear end in a top hat.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Field Mousepad posted:

Hey I'm Finnish you rear end in a top hat.

You and Jerry Cotton have much to be proud about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWuyrlXI7nA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

syscall girl posted:

never finished Lost

never finished Deadwood

never Finnish

I have 15 episodes of BSG left and it's a slog. Ever since the reveal of the four Cylons, it's just so bad.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

I have 15 episodes of BSG left and it's a slog. Ever since the reveal of the four Cylons, it's just so bad.

Don't finish it

If you have gotten this far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMzJEJTaScI

stop

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

Wait til you find out who the fifth cylon is

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Groupon has a free 45-day trial of the Hulu Limited Commercials plan. If I have a smart Blu-Ray player with the Hulu Plus app, could I use that to play from this trial plan?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

syscall girl posted:

never finished Lost

never finished Deadwood

never Finnish

I can understand BSG but why not finish Lost? The finale was one of the best.

Speaking of Lost I've been rewatching it with my daughter who has never seen it and it is a lot better the 2nd time through. Lots of things I missed the first time around -- well not missed exactly but didn't know would be important later. The plot is still what it is but the show does so many other things well, like character building, that the weak plot isn't a serious detriment. I've discovered that I can shut away my knowledge of what happens (mostly) and comment as if I've never seen it which makes it more fun for her. She guessed the ending back in S2 (which in fairness they give so many clues it isn't a stretch) but the show throws out so many red herrings that she gave up on the idea.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Groupon has a free 45-day trial of the Hulu Limited Commercials plan. If I have a smart Blu-Ray player with the Hulu Plus app, could I use that to play from this trial plan?
If you're asking about the type of account, I think there was only an issue with needing a certain type of account to use hulu on non-PC devices back when it was possible to watch Hulu for free on PCs, before it became a fully subscription service. I think the bigger issue would be whether the version of the app on your blu-ray player is still supported, because they haven't used the "plus" branding for around a year.

If it's free why don't you just try it? With all these services, you never know how well it's actually going to work on your device without actually testing it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

Speaking of Lost I've been rewatching it with my daughter who has never seen it and it is a lot better the 2nd time through. Lots of things I missed the first time around -- well not missed exactly but didn't know would be important later. The plot is still what it is but the show does so many other things well, like character building, that the weak plot isn't a serious detriment. I've discovered that I can shut away my knowledge of what happens (mostly) and comment as if I've never seen it which makes it more fun for her. She guessed the ending back in S2 (which in fairness they give so many clues it isn't a stretch) but the show throws out so many red herrings that she gave up on the idea.

I caught the cracked.com write-up (or maybe it was the SA frontpage? Zack or Lowtax?) of the Lost finale and then didn't feel compelled to watch it I guess.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

wormil posted:

The ending wasn't they were dead the whole time though

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Len posted:

The ending wasn't they were dead the whole time though
That would have been an improvement.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

John Big Booty posted:

That would have been an improvement.

I can't argue that.

But I don't know how anyone could guess "lived the rest of their life some off the island some on the island until they died and went to a communal afterlife"

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Len posted:

But I don't know how anyone could guess ...

Interesting, I didn't realize the "it's real" thing had become official. (I found Cuse' interview) When the finale originally aired I interpreted it as they died and everything happened in something like purgatory through which they had to pass until their souls were cleansed and they could go on to the happy place. It was all real -- that's just stupid. Are we sure that wasn't just some cop out bullshit because they didn't want people attacking them because their religion was offended? Verhoeven did something like that with Starship Troopers when people kept saying it was promoting fascism and later said it was only to get people off his back. In any case, it was still a much better ending than BSG.

VVVVVVVVVVVV edit; Patriot is fantastic VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

wormil has a new favorite as of 03:05 on Aug 21, 2017

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
Patriot on Prime was an amazing surprise. Glad I gave it a shot after trying to watch the way too heavy handed Last Tycoon.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I had completely ignored Norsemen until someone mentioned it's a comedy. It's basically the Office but with Vikings. It is brutal, almost cartoonish level of violence and dry, deadpan humor. I really recommend trying it out.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Norsemen is great, comedy with set pieces that exceeds Vikings, and I couldn't help but think of Micheal Scott watching the chieftains brother

jeremiah johnson
Nov 3, 2007

a sexual elk posted:

Norsemen is great, comedy with set pieces that exceeds Vikings, and I couldn't help but think of Micheal Scott watching the chieftains brother

I would describe it as, Dry, almost Monty pythonish.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The Good Place is on Netflix and is like Lost but better and funny.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

jeremiah johnson posted:

I would describe it as, Dry, almost Monty pythonish.

Wide net haha

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I shotgunned Amazon's The Tick today.

I really really enjoyed it and laughed outloud pretty often. I'm trying to be objective and say it's really good on it's own merits but I'm also heavily nostalgic for the tick so somebody else should back me up on this.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Did you like the pilot episode? I love the tick and really want to love this show but for me the pilot was pretty meh. I'm hoping the humor ramped up.

Unrelated but I started watching Norsemen from thread's recommendation and love it! The description doesn't give comedy vibe at all so I would have never watched it otherwise. Thanks!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I did enjoy it, but the best parts of the pilot episode were the bits with the tick in it, and he was only present maybe 20% of the time in the pilot. In the rest of the season it's more like 75-80% as the show gets into the swing of it.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Cool, ill give it a chance. Thanks for the detailed reply.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

The Tick on Amazon was pretty good, but kinda ended too soon. It captured the feel of the original better than the tv show that was out a decade or so ago.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

theflyingexecutive posted:

The Good Place is on Netflix and is like Lost but better and funny.

Seconded. This show is extremely well done.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I love The Good Place but didn't really care for the S1 ending and twist. And after watching the S2 preview it's going to be S1 all over again.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Stan Against Evil is on Hulu and is very funny.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

wormil posted:

I love The Good Place but didn't really care for the S1 ending and twist. And after watching the S2 preview it's going to be S1 all over again.

Isn't that the point?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Turned On on Netflix is pretty great - it's a series of documentaries focused on the subject of relationships/sex vs current technology. But the 5th episode is something else - an Australian guy falls in love with a camgirl from the US that he has had an online 'relationship' with for 4 years. He pays for her ticket so that she can meet him in Australia and it goes as well as you would expect. drat, that was hard to watch.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Jummy posted:

Isn't that the point?

Maybe at the end of S2 she will wake up and it will all have been a dream.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

wormil posted:

Maybe at the end of S2 she will wake up and it will all have been a dream.

or an Ebeneezer Scrooge thing.

The Tick was pretty good but I guess they didn't release all the episodes, so that's a littlw annoying. The tone and the characters of each one (cartoon, 2001 live action, current) has been so different that if you liked one of them, it's not guaranteed you will like any of the others.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I thought The Tick could have used a little more Tick and a little less Arthur, especially early on, but it made me laugh a lot and few shows do.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
[quote="“jodai”" post="“475838116”"]
or an Ebeneezer Scrooge thing.

The Tick was pretty good but I guess they didn’t release all the episodes, so that’s a littlw annoying. The tone and the characters of each one (cartoon, 2001 live action, current) has been so different that if you liked one of them, it’s not guaranteed you will like any of the others.
[/quote]

You’re ignoring the fact that there are also like 5 comic versions of The Tick. Consistency between iterations is antithetical to the series (singular and plural). I like to think that it’s a meta-commentary on the comics industry as a whole, but that’s just my read on it. The Edlund comics are great, at least.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If you have Hulu:
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is available.
It's... nothing like the book at all but the cast is very charming and have a good mix of comedy and horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Grassy Knowles posted:

You’re ignoring the fact that there are also like 5 comic versions of The Tick. Consistency between iterations is antithetical to the series (singular and plural). I like to think that it’s a meta-commentary on the comics industry as a whole, but that’s just my read on it. The Edlund comics are great, at least.

I forgot to mention I've never read a Tick comic. I bet they're very good, I've just never got around to it. I like that theory, though.