Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

There seems to be an enormous amount of overlap between people who like Doctor Who and people who like MST3K and I am glad of it.

They're quite similar shows

You should really just relax

god it almost feels weird to not over say that line now. loving love you season 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Watching "The Keys of Marinus" for the first time. It's kind of dull, but I love those silly Brains-With-Eyestalks dudes.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Watching "The Keys of Marinus" for the first time. It's kind of dull, but I love those silly Brains-With-Eyestalks dudes.

I had a lot of fun watching and recapping that one!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

The weird thing was how pointless a plot thread that was. It falls apart the moment you think about it. It's purely there to make the viewer go 'oh no the Doctor has gone bad' which they're not going to believe for a moment.

Yeah, it feels like it was created just for the preview and then dragged out for way too long.

Burkion posted:

They're quite similar shows

You should really just relax

god it almost feels weird to not over say that line now. loving love you season 11

I think some of it comes from a genuine enjoyment of old, cheesy stuff, combined with the good nature to laugh both at it and with it. Season 11 is incredible and the sing-along for the theme song they did at the live shows really got them audiences pumped. I hope the new cast gets to do this for awhile, they're really great. They'll never do anything Doctor Who related though, because one of Joel's major rules is that they have to have a really good print. I'm pretty sure it's a rule that any saved copies of Doctor Who have to have been under someone's sofa, in a spot they always forget to vacuum.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bicyclops posted:

There seems to be an enormous amount of overlap between people who like Doctor Who and people who like MST3K and I am glad of it.

I think it's because you can't really enjoy Who without acknowledging it's inherently silly. If you're a Who fan who demands it's serious and should be seen as such then you're Ian Levine.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I liked Lie of the Land more than I should have probably due to the fact I was in the middle of replaying Half-Life 2 when it aired and all the 'aliens invade and take over the planet, forcing the humans to live in fear' vibes were there, along with the usual grim and depressing atmosphere

Six months feels a little overkill though, but with the Monks' apparent power, it may not be an accurate number

Meh~

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
It's Sylvester McCoy's birthday today. Prepare your wallets for the inevitable Big Finish sale!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Can I just say again how weird it is for me to rate an episode by one of my least favorite Doctor Who writers (Pyramid, Peter Harness) so much higher than one by one of my favorites (Lie, Toby Whithouse)?

I think the problem is that Lie tries to fit way too much into one episode. Spending four episodes on the Monks would be completely ridiculous, but it really needed to be a two-parter so it wasn't just rushing from plot point to plot point without any of them getting a chance to hit with any weight.

And I actually do like Pyramid, but I wonder if the better way wouldn't have been to just jump straight from Extremis into Lie, set this "the Monks have conquered Earth and the Doctor appears to be collaborating with them" story up without any prelude and just make it a two-parter. Fill in the necessary bits in flashback, make the central mystery "okay just what the gently caress is going on."

The Monks' consent thing makes perfect sense if you think of them as the sort of vampires who have no power until you invite them inside, or the sort of con artists whose MO includes making their victims feel complicit in their crimes.

Also, I maintain that the internment/re-education camps were actually a ruse of the Doctor's to get people who saw through the Monks' delusion somewhere safe from the people who were still buying into the whole thing. Or at least that's what they should have been.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm about to finish my rewatch of New Who and I... I might go back and watch all of Classic Who again. The gremlin in my brain wants to go through the whole ride from start to finish. Watching Capaldi in season 10 has really made me miss both One and Four. The Robin Hood episode made me want to watch The Androids of Tara. I've been trying to take up knitting for some time now and watching a bunch of cardboard sits in dim lighting while I make tiny hats for niece is just my destiny. Maybe my wife will talk me out of it, but probably not. See you soon, Billy Hartnell.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I'm about to finish my rewatch of New Who and I... I might go back and watch all of Classic Who again. The gremlin in my brain wants to go through the whole ride from start to finish. Watching Capaldi in season 10 has really made me miss both One and Four. The Robin Hood episode made me want to watch The Androids of Tara. I've been trying to take up knitting for some time now and watching a bunch of cardboard sits in dim lighting while I make tiny hats for niece is just my destiny. Maybe my wife will talk me out of it, but probably not. See you soon, Billy Hartnell.

What I've been doing lately is grabbing an episode (or an audio) from each Doctor. For me, at least, with Classic Who it's better to mix it up a little, since one 'episode' is basically a full-length movie and the stories are predominantly standalone.

I'm thinking Master-themed, to the extent that that's possible. It's not for Nine, or Eleven except on a technicality, One's only possible because of The Five Doctors, and I'm going to resort to a novel for Two. Though I guess One could float on the same technicality that Eleven does (their brief appearances in The Doctor Falls and The End Of Time, respectively).

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

docbeard posted:

What I've been doing lately is grabbing an episode (or an audio) from each Doctor. For me, at least, with Classic Who it's better to mix it up a little, since one 'episode' is basically a full-length movie and the stories are predominantly standalone.

I'm thinking Master-themed, to the extent that that's possible. It's not for Nine, or Eleven except on a technicality, One's only possible because of The Five Doctors, and I'm going to resort to a novel for Two. Though I guess One could float on the same technicality that Eleven does (their brief appearances in The Doctor Falls and The End Of Time, respectively).

Maybe do the Monk and War Chief as proto- Master figures?

Or the Toymaker and the Master (Land of Fiction) for that matter.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

After The War posted:

Maybe do the Monk and War Chief as proto- Master figures?

Or the Toymaker and the Master (Land of Fiction) for that matter.

I've been meaning to read The Dark Path for a while anyway, but the Monk or the Toymaker is a good idea. Though the Master is my favorite part of The Five Doctors so I'll probably watch that too anyway.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

docbeard posted:

I can't watch things this way, for whatever reason. It feels like when someone is listening to the radio in the car and keeps switching channels, never stopping long enough for a song to end.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

After "Twin Peaks" tonight, I'm gonna check out "The Sensorites" for the first time. I've heard they're an inspiration for the Ood, so I'm intrigued.

By the way, BritBox owns, even though it doesn't have most of the Dalek serials.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

jivjov posted:

It's Sylvester McCoy's birthday today. Prepare your wallets for the inevitable Big Finish sale!

And Sophie Aldred's! And Anthony Ainley's!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

After "Twin Peaks" tonight, I'm gonna check out "The Sensorites" for the first time. I've heard they're an inspiration for the Ood, so I'm intrigued.

By the way, BritBox owns, even though it doesn't have most of the Dalek serials.

Rumor has it that BritBox is going to do recreations of the missing episodes.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Rumor has it that BritBox is going to do recreations of the missing episodes.

Oh man, that rules. Can't wait for "The Highlanders."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Oh man, that rules. Can't wait for "The Highlanders."

Though the rumor is it's just going to be photo reconstructions with the soundtracks, and not animation.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Though the rumor is it's just going to be photo reconstructions with the soundtracks, and not animation.

Better than nothing.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Better than nothing.

Well, I mean, we kind of already HAVE that.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Well, I mean, we kind of already HAVE that.

Having them all in one easily-accessible spot would be nice. I'd actually watch them then.

egon_beeblebrox fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 21, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Having them all in one easily-accessible spot would be nice. I'd actually watch the m then.

Yeah, if nothing else, something with the best sound quality they can provide over the stills would be nice.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Apparently they were going to show a reconstructed episode at SDCC, did that not happen?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I think I love "Planet of Giants." I wish more cliffhangers had the Doctor menaced by a literal house cat.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Bradley Walsh revealed as Doctor Who companion

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I am honestly more surprised by this than I was by Jodie Whittaker.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Man, they really are flipping the dynamic. I'm interested

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

...huh, ok. Well, I'm genuinely intrigued.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Genuinely forgot that Bradley Walsh is an actor, I'm so used to him presenting The Chase. :D

Seriously, I feel sort of like they've just announced Michael Portillo and his ridiculous trousers as the new companion. :v:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 21, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Genuinely forgot that Bradley Walsh is an actor, I'm so used to him presenting The Chase. :D

Seriously, I feel sort of like they've just announced Michael Portillo and his ridiculous trousers as the new companion. :v:

His railway programme has revealed that Portillo has a wardrobe to rival CBakes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Having checked Wikipedia, Walsh was on Law & Order UK for a while, so he's someone else Chibnall's collaborated with before.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

If that's accurate and not just another piece of Great British Journalism from the press corps that leaves no room for fake news outlets in Britain, it's arguably the most left-field casting since Billie Piper. Who turned out all right.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, none of those are necessarily reliable sources, so I guess we'll see. No idea who he is, but his theater experience seems to include a whole lot of Mr. Smee in Peter Pan. I'd be on board. I liked the dynamic between Ten and Wilf, and I could see this going a similar way.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

No idea who he is, but his theater experience seems to include a whole lot of Mr. Smee in Peter Pan.

The legend at work.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I watch a fair bit of The Chase and like him well enough on there but yeah, this isn't something I'd have guessed at all. Will wait for confirmation beyond the Mirror before feeling too strongly either way.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

DS Brooks?!

:swoon:

One of the highlights of L&O:UK and a truly great actor! Here's hoping it's true!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Astroman posted:

DS Brooks?!

:swoon:

One of the highlights of L&O:UK and a truly great actor! Here's hoping it's true!

Was he the stand in for Lenny or Ed Green?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Was he the stand in for Lenny or Ed Green?

Lenny

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, he was L&O:UK's Briscoe, and was actually the best part of the show, which even included Peter Davison and Freema Agyeman as the prosecutors for a bit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Holy poo poo, if you'd given me an empty list and told me to put 10000 people on it who I'd expect to be new companions, I'd never have guessed him. But I really liked him on The Chase and .... coronation street :sweatdrop: so this is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, he was L&O:UK's Briscoe, and was actually the best part of the show, which even included Peter Davison and Freema Agyeman as the prosecutors for a bit.

The peak of the show was him and Jamie Bamber, they had the best chemistry. But he was good no matter who he was partnered up with.

• Locked thread