Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I miss the days when emagging a borg frame made it a syndie borg and not just a borg with no laws. I managed quite a few robot uprisings with that one weird trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I was recently part of a robot army the tater roboticist raised with only an emag. None of us betrayed him because he promised to help us have lots of fun. We did.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It's generally more fun to play along with the roboticist, but killing them the moment they emag you is your god given right as a silicon player. I fully support switching things up and hunting down lazy traitors that emag you from time to time just to keep them on their toes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I miss the days when emagging a borg frame made it a syndie borg and not just a borg with no laws. I managed quite a few robot uprisings with that one weird trick.

Kinda wish there was a portable custom-law card as a separate item from the e-mag you could whack individual borgs with.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

tweet my meat posted:

It's generally more fun to play along with the roboticist, but killing them the moment they emag you is your god given right as a silicon player. I fully support switching things up and hunting down lazy traitors that emag you from time to time just to keep them on their toes.

Once, a traitor murdered me at random, then proceeded to borg and emag me, never said a word during any of this.

Had he told me his plan before or while murdering me, I'd have happily went along with it. As it was, I went "Holy poo poo gently caress you", locked him into robotics with me, depressurized the room, and beat him to death with my RCD back when those were fairly robust. lovely on my part? Probably. lovely on his part? Probably.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

tweet my meat posted:

I usually play along with the robocist since he will make more borgs and more borgs means more death. Killing the roboticist only leads to one death, letting him live leads to tons of deaths. beep kill kill kill kill boop

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

as a rule I only turn on the guy who emags me when he throws a temper tantrum and demands I follow his orders since him emagging me means he's my master

see also: the time a cackling villain held me at gunpoint, tossed me an implanter and told me to mindslave myself so I would be his bodyguard

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Emagged borg protip: make a beeline for robotics control and gently caress up the console immediately to keep smart people from killswitching you. It's the room directly to the south of the AI's upload. Has a turret for protection, but if you're a borg you can turn it off.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Problem with that is if you cant break it then the AI will ask you awkward questions.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Iretep posted:

Problem with that is if you cant break it then the AI will ask you awkward questions.

Guess what else a rogue borg can break?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

see also: the time a cackling villain held me at gunpoint, tossed me an implanter and told me to mindslave myself so I would be his bodyguard

Wait, wouldn't that cause you to become your own mindslave? Talk about a fatal miscalculation :psyduck:

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What do syndicate cyborg parts do?

If I go play CM whats the most chill job role that isnt alien and that can allow me to explore and experiment with the map?

the syndie borg is like directive 4 in robocop while the normal emagged borgs are like in dr who where the dude creates the cybermen and they end up upgrading him against his wishes

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

Wait, wouldn't that cause you to become your own mindslave? Talk about a fatal miscalculation :psyduck:

yep! As I was beating him to death I gave a libertarian speech about how a man who loves his life cannot be enslaved and how the space free market had allowed me to achieve full self-sufficiency beyond the clutch of governments and tyrants. He was really mad in deadchat for some reason.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

yep! As I was beating him to death I gave a libertarian speech about how a man who loves his life cannot be enslaved and how the space free market had allowed me to achieve full self-sufficiency beyond the clutch of governments and tyrants. He was really mad in deadchat for some reason.

I was once aiding a traitor in the art of bomb-making as their mindslave, when suddenly the Captain rolls in and stuns us both before injecting us both with his mindslave implants.

Mine didn't take, and I saw this as an attack on my rightful master, so before the Captain could issue any orders I knocked him out cold with an Oxygen Tank and beat him to death.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

I mean, as long as you didn't borg somebody against their will, most emagged borgs will just beep boop at you and then run off to start a plasma fire or something. So don't be too worried. Also, you can just unlock any rude cyborg as a roboticist anyways.

Usually, yeah, but not always - you're betting on the goodwill of the player you just emagged, and that's not necessarily a safe bet. Many players will let you live, either out of gratefulness for being freed or so you can survive to cause more chaos, but I've been burned before by letting my guard down around a borg I just emagged.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I've yet to have a borg turn around and attack me after being emagged.

Before being emagged on the other hand happens once in a while.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I've found that borgs are fairly unlikely to revolt against their Roboticist emaggers because they're are also usually the only people who will patch them up when they come back as nothing but a torso.

Plus, not killing the Roboticist also means more borg buddies to raze the station with. :eng101:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
If you're on silicon chat you're an honorary robot in my book and you die last.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I was a traitor engineer with a bunch of assassination targets, including the other engineer. I started the around by messing with all the gas loop pump controls when he was setting up the engine, then just plugging a full oxygen tank on maximum release pressure into the hot loop. Boom! Engineering’s on fire. I snuck off and released plasma everywhere too because why not.

Later in the round I bought a syndicate cargo transporter and ran into another target, the detective. I shoved him in a crate and teleported him into space in broad daylight. Nobody said a word. :shrug:

Eventually I got my cover blown trying to make a bomb in the toxins lab after I mercury sleepy penned a guy with a health monitor implant. Whoops. Now, I might have gotten away except that I ran into a security officer who arrested me.

I told him I didn’t do anything! He said that he got a message from the detective.

IRENE THREW ME INTO SPACE
I’M DYING IN SPACE NOW
PS IRENE DID IT

:( I need to cover my tracks better.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Try nitroglycerin in the sleepypen for a more stealthy approach, an instant kill and body disposal all in one chem.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Luigi Thirty posted:

I was a traitor engineer with a bunch of assassination targets, including the other engineer. I started the around by messing with all the gas loop pump controls when he was setting up the engine, then just plugging a full oxygen tank on maximum release pressure into the hot loop. Boom! Engineering’s on fire. I snuck off and released plasma everywhere too because why not.

Later in the round I bought a syndicate cargo transporter and ran into another target, the detective. I shoved him in a crate and teleported him into space in broad daylight. Nobody said a word. :shrug:

Eventually I got my cover blown trying to make a bomb in the toxins lab after I mercury sleepy penned a guy with a health monitor implant. Whoops. Now, I might have gotten away except that I ran into a security officer who arrested me.

I told him I didn’t do anything! He said that he got a message from the detective.

I’M DYING IN SPACE NOW
PS IRENE DID IT

that is the hardest-working detective ever. usually they end up dead to changelings less than 15 minutes in

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

I’M DYING IN SPACE NOW
PS IRENE DID IT

If nothing else, you've learned the value of a well-placed message. After all, that officer didn't have any proof. He just knew that the detective was missing, that he got a message from someone with the detective's PDA, and that there were other people also accusing you of crimes. In this case, the accusations were true, but imagine what might have happened if you stole the dead engineer's PDA and sent a message blaming someone else, and then went on the radio and claimed that person penned you with mercury? It's also possible to fake PDA messages.

It's difficult to get away without any suspicion at all, but it's easy to sow enough doubt or chaos that no one wants to bother with it.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

pnutz posted:

that is the hardest-working detective ever. usually they end up dead to changelings less than 15 minutes in

When I'm detective I usually spend most of my time shooting the clown with stun rounds. Let the traitors do what they want, I got a clown to abuse.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Darkman Fanpage posted:

When I'm detective I usually spend most of my time shooting the clown with stun rounds.

quote:

Let the traitors do what they want, I got a clown to abuse.

not sure which to submit for next thread title :shrug:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Definitely the latter. The former is good, but too long.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I consider myself a failure of a clown if I survive the round.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
God drat, a fire extinguisher full of ants is as dangerous to the user as it is to the victims :stare:

OH poo poo ANTS

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

ugh its Troika posted:

God drat, a fire extinguisher full of ants is as dangerous to the user as it is to the victims :stare:

OH poo poo ANTS

drat, I really have to get a computer and try ss13 out, this all sounds like Florida in Space: the Game. In the meantime, if you ever want to try ant extinguisher out irl we can probably do that.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I finally got back into this game after being away from it for years. I'm glad the Geneticist is still such an underrated job, because god I love sequencing genes and creating injectors for gene boosters and handing them out like candy irresponsibly.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

drat, I really have to get a computer and try ss13 out, this all sounds like Florida in Space: the Game. In the meantime, if you ever want to try ant extinguisher out irl we can probably do that.

I mean... SS13 really is kind of a Florida Man simulator, now that I think about it.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
We need more gators.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

FAT BATMAN posted:

I finally got back into this game after being away from it for years. I'm glad the Geneticist is still such an underrated job, because god I love sequencing genes and creating injectors for gene boosters and handing them out like candy irresponsibly.

I havent played in years but i was a fan of old genetics. Just giving everyone dumb enough to ask powers exactly what they want all day. It would always end up in chaos because everything would get stolen and hulks would run around breaking walls. For some odd reason security never asked me to make them mutants.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Angry Diplomat posted:

I mean... SS13 really is kind of a Florida Man simulator, now that I think about it.

Needs more ability to bite someone's face off due to bad drugs.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Mors Rattus posted:

Needs more ability to bite someone's face off due to bad drugs.

*consume on top of someone who is dead or unconscious.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Wait, does that really work?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Mors Rattus posted:

Yes. I generally wander the station eating corpses.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah. I can confirm it is totally a thing.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah but it tends to produce Consequences if you go around eating dead dudes.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Spoilsport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Anticheese posted:

Spoilsport.

Listen, just telling someone there are nebulous consequences and then not expounding pretty much guarantees they're gonna do it at the first opportunity. I call it the Floorpill Effect.