Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Stringent posted:

Everything.

So wrong, Shibuya is great.

But with kids, ehh, everything is different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Phone posted:

Learning katakana is going to be more useful since you'll be able (to try) to figure out what foreign/loan word things are without much prior knowledge.

Also, I'm going to Tokyo for the first time next month. I grabbed a hotel next to the Tokyo Dome because it was convenient enough. Any recommendations specific to that area?

Toyko Dome City is the obvious first choice.

https://www.tokyo-dome.co.jp/e/

Tokyo Dome City Attractions is quite noticeable, but also consider checking out TenQ (https://www.tokyo-dome.co.jp/tenq/e/), the space museum, and
LaQua (http://www.laqua.jp/pages/en/), the hot spring.

Korakuen (http://teien.tokyo-park.or.jp/en/koishikawa/outline.html) is also nearby one and is one of Tokyo's most famous landscape gardens.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

P-Mack posted:

What's wrong with Shibuya?

Nothing really.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Too many slackjawed tourists acting like they've never seen a pedestrian crossing before.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Seconding sue I. Great zoo great museums and cheaper accommodations and close to narita. And tidiest homeless population in the world

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
If you wanna ge really really drunk and see one of the most crowded spots in the world the Shibuya is great

SquallStrife
Jan 20, 2009

"The Goon" by Metanaut.
My girlfriend and I will be visiting Kyoto for a short getaway next week.

Two things high on the list are buying kimonos and visiting onsen, and I have a couple of specific questions about each.

She's interested in getting a silk kimono with an obi, what kind of cash are we looking at here? Do they tailor-make them like suits? She's kinda short, around 5 feet.

As for onsen, we won't have time to travel too far out of town, what are our options? She has a biggish tattoo on her forearm, and one on top of her foot, can she get away with wearing skin-coloured band-aids/bandages to cover them? Also, are mixed-gender onsen a thing? It would be neat to experience it together if possible.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A new, tailored kimono is going to cost thousands of dollars. The only way you can find one in a remotely affordable way is to trawl second hand shops. Fortunately, it's Japan and a kimono for a five foot tall woman isn't particularly unusual. Only thing I can think of is if she's large chested it's unlikely you'd be able to track one down that fits without getting it tailor made.

E: To find second hand shops you might consider taking a short trip to Osaka, it's a much larger city and may have more opportunities to find one. It's right next to Kyoto and you can easily pop over for the afternoon to shop.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 18, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Getting a kimono and obi for a short girl isn't hard. Learning to tie it well is...
Yukata you can buy new for $100 or less but a silk kimono will probably be used. Hard Off (lol) is a national recycle chain but most of the kimono selection is dead grandma stuff.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

SquallStrife posted:

As for onsen, we won't have time to travel too far out of town, what are our options? She has a biggish tattoo on her forearm, and one on top of her foot, can she get away with wearing skin-coloured band-aids/bandages to cover them? Also, are mixed-gender onsen a thing? It would be neat to experience it together if possible.

Depends on how big the tattoos are, but yes you can sometimes get away with bandages covering them.

That said, if you want to do mixed-gender look into ryokan that have a private onsen to book or have rooms that have their own onsen. It's not cheap, usually like $200-$300 a person a night, but they will include a nice dinner and breakfast as well.

Example Onsen Ryokan: http://www.hanaikada.co.jp/english/facility.html

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Every city will have one public bath that ignores tattoos... if you know who to ask (I don't sorry (´;ω;`)

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

peanut posted:

Every city will have one public bath that ignores tattoos... if you know who to ask (I don't sorry (´;ω;`)

Looks like Kyoto's is Gokouyu
https://blog.gaijinpot.com/tattooed-foreign-and-in-a-bathhouse/
http://www.gokouyu.net/

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Caberham made Tokyo goons walk past 9,000 bars in search of one specific forgettable microbrew place.

It had nothing to do with Shibuya and everything to do with the absurdity of looking for a place to have a beer in Tokyo.

You can drink anything within five minutes in Tokyo; you insisted in making that an ordeal.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Lol if you just don't pop into a conbini for a beer

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

peanut posted:

If you're just looking for a sento, look up the places on Google Maps with a bunch of one star reviews. The Yakuza at the one I went to in Matsuyama were pretty chill, so don't worry about the pearl-clutching in the review comments. The one I used while I was in Kyoto also doesn't care and was close to the hostel.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

sale on Banksy art posted:

Caberham made Tokyo goons walk past 9,000 bars in search of one specific forgettable microbrew place.

It had nothing to do with Shibuya and everything to do with the absurdity of looking for a place to have a beer in Tokyo.

You can drink anything within five minutes in Tokyo; you insisted in making that an ordeal.

I wanna know which place it was so I can either agree with his choice or laugh at it

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hub Shibuya #3 they have Orion on tap!!

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

peanut posted:

Hub Shibuya #3 they have Orion on tap!!

At every hub they have DKs and that's all you need sooooo

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

LimburgLimbo posted:

At every hub they have DKs and that's all you need sooooo

Hub sells things other than Gin and Tonics?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
don't go looking for places just tell Ned or stringent "I wanna get drunk" and follow them wherever they take you

Guaranteed great time. Love em

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
admittedly it's an amazing time because of the people

in Japan

With good food

In an awesome city like Tokyo

I'm drunk right now

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It was good beer faucets. They have beer ice cream floats :ohdear:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

sale on Banksy art posted:

You can drink anything if you want lovely rear end beer yeah

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The Great Autismo! posted:

don't go looking for places just tell Ned or stringent "I wanna get drunk" and follow them wherever they take you

Guaranteed great time. Love em

Confirmed. Just buying a beer in a konbini and walking through Kabukicho while drinking it was hilarious with all the street touts it would attract and aggravate. Stringent turns it into a sport.

Man, I miss being able to drink in public.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

caberham posted:

It was good beer faucets. They have beer ice cream floats :ohdear:

That's a good choice but I'm disappointed you would have trouble finding it

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

The Great Autismo! posted:

I'm pretty worthless in Tokyo. I gave you an empty bar with 250 beers and a tranny who wants to show off her thong and then some drinks in the park.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hey Ned, I'm in Tokyo next month can you get me incredibly drunk!?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Phone posted:

Hey Ned, I'm in Tokyo next month can you get me incredibly drunk!?

Yes.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ned posted:

I'm pretty worthless in Tokyo. I gave you an empty bar with 250 beers and a tranny who wants to show off her thong and then some drinks in the park.

I know and I love you with all my heart for it

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Finally got through the thread, disappointed in the lack of derails and no conclusion to the footjob guy from the first few pages.

I'm winding up way early for a trip in 2018. Just booked July 25 to August 11. Nice that iah has direct flights to nrt. Nothing much is set in stone except for a Fuji climb somewhere in there (considering Subashiri trail, thoughts?) and trying to fit in some goofy animal stuff.

I'm going as a couple with me in my late 20s and her in her late 30s. Our biggest draws are going to be some awesome dining (a few Michelin star places I hope) and sightseeing. Probably going to stick to the traditional Tokyo and Kyoto trip for most of the way. I'm considering the shimanami kaido for some scenic touring. Probably just one or two temples because they'll get old fast, and I'll do the ryokan thing the day I come down off Fuji because I bet the onsen will be amazing. No Hiroshima if all that's there is the ww2 stuff because war history isn't my thing.

Excluding airfare, we're estimating a $6-8k budget for everything else including lodging and transport, how does that sound? I've never tried an airbnb but it's looking like an appealing option. I'm shying away from the 4*+ hotels since there's better uses of cash and I'm expecting to be out most of the day, but I'm worried about not having a concierge to snag reservations at some of the nicer places in Tokyo and Kyoto. I see a few services that are charging like $70+ just to make reservations for us.

I'm coming over on ANA in F, which I'm stoked about. I've never flown with them before and I hear their soft product is amazing. Looks like nrt isn't that bad to navigate but I'm definitely trying to figure out baggage transport. Looking at the takyubin thing since we'll probably have 3-4 checked bags between us plus two carry on bags and I don't want to deal with that poo poo. Worried about how airbnb is going to play with pickup and drop-off.

One thing on my food list is authentic sushi. I don't care too much for it (mix of texture and the strong fish flavor) but being in Texas I'm not expecting that I've had well prepared poo poo. I want to try something really well done and then decide if I hate it. My boss is telling me to try the conveyor sushi places but from what I've read I'm not sure if it'll be the experience I want. Likewise, I know going to a super high end place will be a waste because I won't know wtf I'm eating and how to appreciate it. Should I just look for a decently reviewed place on tableog that's under, what, 50k yen each?

No other requests for the thread, but thanks for the cool read and ideas - I'll ask for some itinerary insight as I get poo poo together. Japan goons seem cool af so it would be nice to chill with someone.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You have an absurd amount of money to spend so most of what I know isn't applicable. 50K yen per person is stupendously expensive sushi, though. There is no reason you should be going anywhere over 10k or so if you aren't a giant sushi fan. In your shoes I would actually go to a good quality conveyor place first and see how you feel about it. Good conveyor belt sushi is a thing in Japan and I've been to places that are every bit as good as a highish end sushi place in the US. If you enjoy that you can go somewhere fancier. The famous Michelin star places you have to book six months in advance I wouldn't bother with, that's for people who are really into sushi. If you aren't, you won't appreciate the difference.

You won't have to budget at all with that kind of cash to throw around. There are services in Japan to same day mail luggage from one hotel to another but I only travel with a carry on so I haven't used them.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Richard M Nixon posted:

I'm going as a couple with me in my late 20s and her in her late 30s. Our biggest draws are going to be some awesome dining (a few Michelin star places I hope) and sightseeing. Probably going to stick to the traditional Tokyo and Kyoto trip for most of the way. I'm considering the shimanami kaido for some scenic touring. Probably just one or two temples because they'll get old fast, and I'll do the ryokan thing the day I come down off Fuji because I bet the onsen will be amazing. No Hiroshima if all that's there is the ww2 stuff because war history isn't my thing.

peanut and some other people have other recs for Shimanami given that they live near there, but I'd say skip it for the summer and go to Aomori or Hokkaido instead.

quote:

Excluding airfare, we're estimating a $6-8k budget for everything else including lodging and transport, how does that sound? I've never tried an airbnb but it's looking like an appealing option. I'm shying away from the 4*+ hotels since there's better uses of cash and I'm expecting to be out most of the day, but I'm worried about not having a concierge to snag reservations at some of the nicer places in Tokyo and Kyoto. I see a few services that are charging like $70+ just to make reservations for us.

$6-8k is pretty doable with a couple of splurge lodging or food here or there. I warn you a bit about michelin stars because that's what everybody in the US/Europe with disposable income is obsessed about these days, and the rating system is pretty bad at judging Japan in general (because it turns out that the Japanese know way better about Japanese food!). Ask Stringent or some other foodie who lives in Tokyo about food recs.

Expensive hotels in Tokyo aren't worth it.

Also go to Den's.

quote:

I'm coming over on ANA in F, which I'm stoked about. I've never flown with them before and I hear their soft product is amazing. Looks like nrt isn't that bad to navigate but I'm definitely trying to figure out baggage transport. Looking at the takyubin thing since we'll probably have 3-4 checked bags between us plus two carry on bags and I don't want to deal with that poo poo. Worried about how airbnb is going to play with pickup and drop-off.

Travel lightly when going to Japan. In fact, travel lightly always. 3-4 checked bags is probably way too much. Do one carry-on sized bag + a backpack. Do your laundry while you're in the country, even if it's by hand. Been there, done that (including carrying like 4 luggage through Shinjuku kill me).

quote:

One thing on my food list is authentic sushi. I don't care too much for it (mix of texture and the strong fish flavor) but being in Texas I'm not expecting that I've had well prepared poo poo. I want to try something really well done and then decide if I hate it. My boss is telling me to try the conveyor sushi places but from what I've read I'm not sure if it'll be the experience I want. Likewise, I know going to a super high end place will be a waste because I won't know wtf I'm eating and how to appreciate it. Should I just look for a decently reviewed place on tableog that's under, what, 50k yen each?

Go to Sushi Zanmai. You'll know right away.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Conbini sushi will knock the pants off of any Buy One Get One sit down places you find in America.

You seem to be pretty set on just shoveling money into the fire, like.. you can do a bunch of high end shopping if you want to spend money that bad. If you don't do any fine dining stateside, you shouldn't feel compelled to do it overseas.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Thanks Fromage and ntan, that's the kind of into I was hoping for. I'm trying to take the western rating scales lightly (tripadvisor and Michelin guide) and I'll combine it with tableog. For the few rare places, any ideas on grabbing reservations if I'm not at the Ritz or comparable? Gurunavi seems decent but I'm loathe to use the paid services unless I have to.

I haven't thought about doing laundry over the trip but I definitely don't want to gently caress with trains and anything bigger than my carryon. I imagine laundry services are plentiful if I'm not planning on doing it myself?

I'll read up on the suggested sushi place and think about trying the conveyor place, which I know will be fun just for the novelty alone. Guessing tableog will help here.

I'm not a big cycling fan so the kaido course made the just just because it is apparently the one that Conde Nast loves to cover. I'll admit I've seen the cycling on the beach anime scenes that I want to recreate, but I know they beaches aren't really what I'm imagining in Japan. Sounds like Kyoto will have some cool chances to bike around too?

Anyone tried adventure world? It looks like it might be a zoo that doesn't make the gf break down in tears and I see there's a chance to feed a panda which I know she'll gush for. Guess ~800k jpy is a bit overzealous without housing taking up too much cash so I'll treat that as a stretch goal over the next year. I expect to slum it with a few cheap noodle bowls and I know I'm trying the conbini and pizza hut because the internet loves that poo poo. I'm a bit worried about breakfast if I'm not at a hotel since I'm not really seeing going out to eat as a thing people do? Reddit tells me that it'll be 7/11 for me unless I'm cooking for myself or going to Dennys.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Phone posted:

Conbini sushi will knock the pants off of any Buy One Get One sit down places you find in America.

You seem to be pretty set on just shoveling money into the fire, like.. you can do a bunch of high end shopping if you want to spend money that bad. If you don't do any fine dining stateside, you shouldn't feel compelled to do it overseas.

I keep reading how stupid expensive Tokyo is and two weeks internationally for under $10k sounds cheap to me but I've never done Asia so I may be over planning. I'm not anticipating any shopping splurges just for the gently caress of it, but I know the gf will probably be grabbing clothing from time to time. She'll also want some kind of cool scrapbooking stuff and I found some store in Tokyo that lets you make your own ink so I know that's a win. My souvenirs will probably be kit kats, gross flavors of potato chips, etc.

If not #1, culture through food is at least a #2 priority and we're both big into high end dining in our daily lives, so that's where some of my planning is going. I'm not talking caviar lunches daily (though with sushi I guess it's true) but I do want to get a bad rear end kaseki, waygu, maybe the molecular gastronomy place at the mandarin, and one or two other best in class places.

We're not prissy socialites or anything (gently caress, we're from Texas), we just really like quality dining and it's the way we like to take in culture because we'll talk about a good meal more than we'll talk about seeing the eiffel tower or the coliseum.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There's plenty of breakfast options, Japan is just one of those countries that doesn't really have a distinct concept of breakfast foods. There's some stuff like tamago kake gohan but usually you just get noodles or something.

Everywhere I've ever stayed in Japan had washing machines. I try to bring my carry-on at least 1/3 empty so I usually have four days of clothing with me and wash regularly. It's no issue at all. There are plenty of 24 hour laundromats if you end up somewhere weird that doesn't have one.

Traveling with just a carry on is great and I highly, highly recommend it. One suitcase per person at the most.

As for reservations, check with the hotel. I am poor and only stay in hostels and even at a $20 a night dorm place they were able to make reservations for me. I don't see why you'd need a service. Certainly before paying for one see if a goon can call and pretend, plenty of Japan goons are fluent and there's no harm in trying.

I second Sushi Zanmai as a sweet spot on price/quality.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Richard M Nixon posted:

I keep reading how stupid expensive Tokyo is and two weeks internationally for under $10k sounds cheap to me but I've never done Asia so I may be over planning.

You're over planning and being deceived by the internet. $100 per person a day is plenty for Tokyo and you're budgeting way more than that. When I'm there I spend like $60 a day and all I do is walk around eating constantly.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, you're going super overboard. You can stay in a completely serviceable business hotel with breakfast for like $100/night per person that has washing machines on site. I've been in a room at the Ritz, and while it had an absolutely stunning view and the amenities were ridiculously nice, I couldn't tell someone that it was a Must Have Experience.

If you're super into food and do high end dining all of the time at home, sure go nuts; however, I would find it hard to believe that having train station yakisoba wouldn't be just as memorable.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

ntan1 posted:

Also go to Den's.

Seconding this.

http://www.jimbochoden.com/en/reserve/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

This is what the local feedback is for and I appreciate it. Definitely not going overboard on any hotels because I'm not planning on being there except when I'm asleep. I ran into at least two restaurants when exploring dining that said reservations could only be made through a concierge but for all I know they're overhyped tourist places. I'll definitely be posting my dining ideas to hear what you guys think. No way I'm shunning the street food either - I'm so excited to try the ekiben while on the shinkansen. Also, pizza hut.

When I know where I'll be going in Tokyo I'll check on what neighborhoods are good for airbnb if that proves a more economical approach. The only splurge hotel is going to be a ryokan after Fuji but only because apparently they're all stupid expensive if you want an in room onsen.

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 24, 2017