Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Wertjoe posted:

To add to the MNK discussion, I recently got the ilvl 330 chest (creation tomes thingy) from the 310 and it doesn't have any crit chance. Which is a bummer because I really like hitting my final chakra often and it seems counter productive to put that into the game then make the gear lean a different direction. It feels a little bit like a downgrade to me? I'm bad at the game though.

its 20 ilevels worth of strength, so yes its better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Is the new DPS meta to just run in and start smacking stuff before the tank has a chance to grab the pull and position everything and then run around in circles like an idiot, making it harder for the tank to pick the mobs back up? I'm asking because I'm leveling a DPS class right now, and the single-target only dragoon in the Cloud glamour, I assume, knows the latest tricks.

e: I want to add another complaint because holy poo poo have I not been able to get done what I want to get done in this game today. I want to be in the Frontlines you guys post where you actually win. I could PvP for 1000 years and still have a 0% 1st place percentage. Garbage. I'm never going to get that loving horse. For my own sanity I have to give up on trying to obtain certain things because I'll hate myself before I get them.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 20, 2017

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Die Sexmonster! posted:

No one's commented on this, but it's honestly no big deal. Typically, healers of any class know their role is to push buttons so people don't die. You will see a cross-section of players: on one side, people who DPS like it's going out of style and still keep everyone up, on the other, people who loving scramble to keep HP bars topped off. Every healer falls within this spectrum!

It's fleetingly rare in Duty Finder, but on occasion you can find a co-healer who you work in tandem with flawlessly. It's a difficult feeling to describe, but getting to pair with someone who enables your ability to DPS definitely rocks.

Thanks, I did trial DR w/a healer buddy and it went OK. I admit the giant maps and endless AoE is stressful at times. I'll never do Savage/ex-primal raiding so it's very calming in an odd way too.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

nuru posted:

:confused: Scholars in savage regularly debate how few healing GCDs they managed to get away with.

Yes, this is the point of the quote. The game in PUG 8 mans was to see which healer caved and healed somebody first, double scholar parties would more often than not have both SCH dragging out that first actual heal not from a fairy for extreme durations.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Emalde posted:

Yes, this is the point of the quote. The game in PUG 8 mans was to see which healer caved and healed somebody first, double scholar parties would more often than not have both SCH dragging out that first actual heal not from a fairy for extreme durations.

OP implied it died in HW. My point is it's alive and well in Stormblood too.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
if you cast Protect you're the one healing from then on. sorry but that's the rule

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

nuru posted:

OP implied it died in HW. My point is it's alive and well in Stormblood too.

Savage doesn't count, everybody already knows specifically when and where heals are required :v:

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Countblanc posted:

if you cast Protect you're the one healing from then on. sorry but that's the rule

Good rule imo

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Leofish posted:

Is the new DPS meta to just run in and start smacking stuff before the tank has a chance to grab the pull and position everything and then run around in circles like an idiot, making it harder for the tank to pick the mobs back up? I'm asking because I'm leveling a DPS class right now, and the single-target only dragoon in the Cloud glamour, I assume, knows the latest tricks.

e: I want to add another complaint because holy poo poo have I not been able to get done what I want to get done in this game today. I want to be in the Frontlines you guys post where you actually win. I could PvP for 1000 years and still have a 0% 1st place percentage. Garbage. I'm never going to get that loving horse. For my own sanity I have to give up on trying to obtain certain things because I'll hate myself before I get them.

You can help (but not carry entirely) your team by talking about what you're gonna do and then brute forcing your way. When ice pops, don't bother with the ice. Kill the people who are attacking the ice. Explain "Dead guys can't hit ice" or something else quick in that long rear end period before the gates go down. You'll get some knobs who mock you (Happened to me in the Shatter type where like every small ice lights at the very beginning) but some will at least be willing to give it a go. That's all you really need, especially if one is a healer. You just need a murder pack.

Bad DPS are bad. You can't help that. I just don't sweat it. If they die, they die.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Not in Europe, Amazon in US

Sorry yeah this is what I meant, in the UK rather than America. Welp. Wonder if we'll ever get it :smith:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Sorry yeah this is what I meant, in the UK rather than America. Welp. Wonder if we'll ever get it :smith:

Could be worse, as a Canadian the key works for us but we can't actually get them ourselves from the US Amazon without a bit of trickery and they don't offer it on the Canadian Amazon.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Obligatum VII posted:

I recently got a 13k Stone 4 crit in O3S. It was beautiful. I think a teared up a little. I stacked crit instead of spell speed figuring I'd try to get the most out of the assize cooldown reduction on cure 2 crits, although spell speed probably would have been a better bet ultimately since I am beginning to realize how few cure casts I actually end up using.

Yeah, still my main beef with lillies. I Cured more in the 61-69 dungeons than I do in EXDR!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

It'll either be an O2 promo or Mog shop item at some point

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Leofish posted:

If you're not in flames, turn off freelancer and your win rate will skyrocket. At least, when playing at EST times. I suspect GC competency shifts around based on the times you play, but definitely during EST times, flames are utter trash.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Countblanc posted:

Look, I just want to avoid that awkward several minutes where everyone stands around expecting protect, ok?!

It's not even that most of them care, they just don't want to run out of range and force the healer to re-cast it.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Countblanc posted:

I'm so used to casting Protect b/c everyone keeps running away from me in LLDR :smith:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Countblanc posted:

What does it mean when you start casting Protect and the other healer slams the Swiftcast + Protect buttons to get theirs in before yours

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It'll either be an O2 promo or Mog shop item at some point

Or maybe we could buy three issues of a literal physical gaming magazine, in the 2010s

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Mango Polo posted:

What does it mean when you start casting Protect and the other healer slams the Swiftcast + Protect buttons to get theirs in before yours

probably that they aren't paying attention to what the other healer is casting because why would you in 90% of the content

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mango Polo posted:

it means you won

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I find healers that want to sit back and do nothing but dps are usually terrible at both, so my ideal runs as a healer involve both solo healing everything and doing more dps than the other healer, because it just isn't really fun any other way imo

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I find healer DPSing incredibly boring because the rotations aren't anywhere near as complicated as actual DPS rotations so I vastly prefer content where I actually have to heal.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

vOv posted:

I find healer DPSing incredibly boring because the rotations aren't anywhere near as complicated as actual DPS rotations so I vastly prefer content where I actually have to heal.

I really miss Bio 1 and Aero because it made me a bit more involved, what with watching the timers and all.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Velthice posted:

probably that they aren't paying attention to what the other healer is casting because why would you in 90% of the content

I don't even watch enemy castbars, why would i look at a teammate's

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Leofish posted:

I've been playing tank for daily roulettes lately and outside of exdr people start wailing on trash the second I pull it usually, even if I mention big pulls at the start

I could swear that wasn't a thing pre stormblood most of the time, I genrally played dps and remember waiting for the pull to finish

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

I've been playing tank for daily roulettes lately and outside of exdr people start wailing on trash the second I pull it usually, even if I mention big pulls at the start

I could swear that wasn't a thing pre stormblood most of the time, I genrally played dps and remember waiting for the pull to finish

Level skips and new expansion hype have brought a load of new players and returning players that might as well be new. The same thing happened on HW release too--I should know, I was one of them then.

On one hand this means more money going to better/more content, but it also means in the here and now, you'll find a lot of people in 5060 and ex that haven't encountered much of the "dungeon meta," such as it is, or fully grasped a lot of mechanical nuances.

You see this especially in the Bardam's Mettle through Castrum Abania stretch if you level your tanks via dungeon spam; a surprising amount of people have no loving clue what the pillars and stack markers mean because the only times they show up in MSQ mandatory content before then is stuff that is 8 man (thus having generally enough people to do it for them) and/or skipped with the HW jump. Really highlights the need for a more explicit and comprehensive "hall of the intermediate" that goes over some common mechanics indicators and play concepts like big pulls, the idea of a rotation, cooldown use etc.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 21, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Mister Olympus posted:

Really highlights the need for a more explicit and comprehensive "hall of the intermediate" that goes over some common mechanics indicators and play concepts like big pulls, the idea of a rotation, cooldown use etc.

So what you're saying is we need more Bardam's Mettle second bosses where you literally cannot do anything except the mechanics.

Sounds great in my book.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I hope there's a Bardam (Hard) that doesn't have a single actual fight in it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Bardarm hard will have Sadu, Magnai, and Cirina as the three bosses

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

cheetah7071 posted:

Bardarm hard will have Sadu, Magnai, and Cirina as the three bosses

This would rule. Cirina's gotta be the final boss.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I played up to lvl 29 a long time ago and I'm now looking to get back into it but feeling a little overwhelmed. Is there anyone who wouldn't mind answering a bunch of questions via in-game PM while I figure this all out again? Thanks. I don't even know if friends lists are gated by realm?

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

I played up to lvl 29 a long time ago and I'm now looking to get back into it but feeling a little overwhelmed. Is there anyone who wouldn't mind answering a bunch of questions via in-game PM while I figure this all out again? Thanks. I don't even know if friends lists are gated by realm?

They are. If you are on Excal, and are online right now, feel free to /tell Your Buddy.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mister Olympus posted:

Level skips and new expansion hype have brought a load of new players and returning players that might as well be new. The same thing happened on HW release too--I should know, I was one of them then.

On one hand this means more money going to better/more content, but it also means in the here and now, you'll find a lot of people in 5060 and ex that haven't encountered much of the "dungeon meta," such as it is, or fully grasped a lot of mechanical nuances.

You see this especially in the Bardam's Mettle through Castrum Abania stretch if you level your tanks via dungeon spam; a surprising amount of people have no loving clue what the pillars and stack markers mean because the only times they show up in MSQ mandatory content before then is stuff that is 8 man (thus having generally enough people to do it for them) and/or skipped with the HW jump. Really highlights the need for a more explicit and comprehensive "hall of the intermediate" that goes over some common mechanics indicators and play concepts like big pulls, the idea of a rotation, cooldown use etc.

Sounds like an average Friday on Excalibur. People still tank the Dragon in the bone zone in CT and it's been 3 years?

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Now I never have to worry about this again.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

EponymousMrYar posted:

So what you're saying is we need more Bardam's Mettle second bosses where you literally cannot do anything except the mechanics.

Sounds great in my book.

Something more than that--if one person fails everything in BM but the other three only fail one mechanic, everyone still passes. Pillars can always be healed through. There is never anything that explicitly spells out to anyone "When a gray pillar with a striped orange circle is present, one person must stand in it."

Alder posted:

Sounds like an average Friday on Excalibur. People still tank the Dragon in the bone zone in CT and it's been 3 years?

Some things though (like this and whoever upthread was talking about getting hate from randos who didn't want them to LB mid-dungeon) I just have to chalk up to weird differences in data center culture

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 21, 2017

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Let me use ranged LB in the 2/3rd of the dungeon. It's not like it's gone forever :confused:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm not in Excal sadly. I'm figuring it out with a buddy though. I'm a 29 guardian so I guess I should be happy a few roulettes and I can pally up.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

My static finally cleared O3S tonight. Our first pull was a 0.5% enrage and that really demoralized everyone, we took another 12 attempts to finally clear it (hitting enrage only once over that time period).

Excited to be repeatedly turned into a bloody smear by Exdeath until 4.1 comes out!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Reached lvl 30 but my lvl 30 action is greyed out still. Do I have to go train this somewhere or do I get it from the lvl 30 class quest? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Reached lvl 30 but my lvl 30 action is greyed out still. Do I have to go train this somewhere or do I get it from the lvl 30 class quest? Thanks.

You usually get an action from finishing the class quest, yes.