Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The mid-late 90s were insanely good for independent music because people had not yet begun to just pirate everything

Like just buy everything Kranky released between '93 and '01, it's all good, from Frankie Sparo to GY!BE and Labradford

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

He was, actually, and used comic books to spread his message. This comic was also the inspiration behind John Lewis doing March.

Seeing MLK as a guest on The Tonight Show blew my mind in a way that probably speaks more to how much I fell into the mainstream historical amnesia over the civil rights movement than anything else, the idea that someone I learned about in history class was also part of pop culture felt quite uncanny

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's my own fault for growing up in Seattle, but I still have a really hard time thinking of Foo Fighters as a real band, because to me Dave Grohl will always be "the drummer from Nirvana," and having a drummer become lead singer and guitar of a different band just seems weird, same reason I don't take Ringo Starr's band seriously. It's kinda like if Buzz Aldrin went on to be an architect, it'd be hard to judge his buildings on their own merits.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skwirl posted:

It's my own fault for growing up in Seattle, but I still have a really hard time thinking of Foo Fighters as a real band

They're not one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

They're not one.

It's also probably telling that my favorite song of theirs is a Prince cover.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Skwirl posted:

It's my own fault for growing up in Seattle, but I still have a really hard time thinking of Foo Fighters as a real band, because to me Dave Grohl will always be "the drummer from Nirvana," and having a drummer become lead singer and guitar of a different band just seems weird, same reason I don't take Ringo Starr's band seriously. It's kinda like if Buzz Aldrin went on to be an architect, it'd be hard to judge his buildings on their own merits.

I'm gonna put this in spoiler bars because it might trigger someone from seattle but

i like dave grohl more than kurt cobain, and everlong is better than anything nirvana did

but also grunge music does literally nothing for me

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

METZ is dope.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm gonna put this in spoiler bars because it might trigger someone from seattle but

i like dave grohl more than kurt cobain, and everlong is better than anything nirvana did

but also grunge music does literally nothing for me

I'm gonna frame your spoiler text as the dumbest thing I've ever read on this forum, and if we ever meet in person I'm going to punch you in the teeth. Everlong is a loving hilarious counter example to use because it just sounds like "what if Nirvana sucked."

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Well here is something depressing: How Trump Ruined My Relationship With My White Mother

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

my dude if they released this as a single i'd buy it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APmoU74ZsG4

come for the cover, stay when you hear rick astley say "motherfuckers"

This reminds me of The Brady Bunch movie when Davey Jones' singing is backed up by a grunge band.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the first Foo Fighters album was great. "alone + easy target" is a vicious condemnation of Courtney Love

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Skwirl posted:

I'm gonna frame your spoiler text as the dumbest thing I've ever read on this forum, and if we ever meet in person I'm going to punch you in the teeth. Everlong is a loving hilarious counter example to use because it just sounds like "what if Nirvana sucked."

i'm gonna wear this like a badge of honor

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

precision posted:

the first Foo Fighters album was great. "alone + easy target" is a vicious condemnation of Courtney Love

I don't understand why Courtney Love needs or deserves vicious condemnation.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

its okay to not take ringo starr seriously, ringo is not a person

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

I don't understand why Courtney Love needs or deserves vicious condemnation.

because she's kind of a lovely rear end in a top hat who accused a bunch of other people of doing what she herself was doing

also she killed kurt

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

its okay to not take ringo starr seriously, ringo is not a person

You understand I said Dave Grohl is basically Ringo Starr, right?

Also would have thought you'd at least respect Ringo as a train conductor.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Foo Fighters are really bland aside from a few songs and while Nirvana are good, they are not nearly as good as their legacy claims

That's my hot take

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

You understand I said Dave Grohl is basically Ringo Starr, right?

Also would have thought you'd at least respect Ringo as a train conductor.

george carlin was better

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I will say I find it hard to hate on the Foo Fighters too much because Dave Grohl does seem like one of the coolest motherfuckers on Earth, even if he writes extremely middle of the road stadium rock

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

Dave Grohl does seem like one of the coolest motherfuckers on Earth

:stare:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

because she's kind of a lovely rear end in a top hat who accused a bunch of other people of doing what she herself was doing

also she killed kurt

She was a strung out heroin addict hanging out with a bunch of strung out heroin addicts. If we're being literal, Kurt Cobain killed Kurt Cobain, if you want to get a bit more metaphorical I'd put the blame on either MTV or Universal Music.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I will say I find it hard to hate on the Foo Fighters too much because Dave Grohl does seem like one of the coolest motherfuckers on Earth, even if he writes extremely middle of the road stadium rock

He strikes me as a dude who got lucky twice and knows it and he's taking full advantage of his success to do all kinds of poo poo

And that poo poo is all pretty cool

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

She was a strung out heroin addict hanging out with a bunch of strung out heroin addicts. If we're being literal, Kurt Cobain killed Kurt Cobain, if you want to get a bit more metaphorical I'd put the blame on either MTV or Universal Music.

I was being literal

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Foo Fighters are really bland aside from a few songs and while Nirvana are good, they are not nearly as good as their legacy claims

That's my hot take

Nirvana might not be the greatest Rock and Roll band, they were the last band you could call a great Rock and Roll band.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

"I've got a fuckload of money and I think it'd be cool to do an hbo series about famous studios so I'm gonna do that" is kinda cool

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

That's my hot take

Nirvana was a gateway band. So many people I know got into Sonic Youth and other, better stuff by starting with Nirvana. I think that's pretty cool. I'm not gonna ever listen to Bleach over Key Lime Pie or, hell, even That Total Age or Belief (both albums that are especially relevant to America today, and the fact that both were recorded by Germans in the 80s should say something pretty bad about America).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I don't even know if Dave Grohl is one of the coolest people in the Foo Fighters

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

precision posted:

Nirvana was a gateway band. So many people I know got into Sonic Youth and other, better stuff by starting with Nirvana. I think that's pretty cool. I'm not gonna ever listen to Bleach over Key Lime Pie or, hell, even That Total Age or Belief (both albums that are especially relevant to America today, and the fact that both were recorded by Germans in the 80s should say something pretty bad about America).

Sonic Youth is cool

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

He does whatever he wants, shows up for small projects and small bands all the time and always just seems to be having a good time and is never up to any scummy bullshit. I mean he's a dude that's stopped shows when he's seen people be lovely in the pit and has broken his leg midshow and finished it while the doctor worked on him on stage. He just seems like a cool, nice dude.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I don't even know if Dave Grohl is one of the coolest people in the Foo Fighters

I like Mr Foo Fighter the best out of Foo and the Fighters

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Dickeye is right, Ringo Starr isn't a person.

He's a god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUyHf6N6uEo

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Hey all, I'm looking to run a projector outdoors in a location where there won't be a power outlet available. I don't know how many watt/hours my unit (Epson 740HD) consumes, but I'd like to run it for about four hours off of a portable battery pack. Does anyone have experience with that kinda thing and can recommend me one?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

He does whatever he wants, shows up for small projects and small bands all the time and always just seems to be having a good time and is never up to any scummy bullshit. I mean he's a dude that's stopped shows when he's seen people be lovely in the pit and has broken his leg midshow and finished it while the doctor worked on him on stage. He just seems like a cool, nice dude.

You gotta set your standards higher for coolest people on earth

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I really like Ringo in A Hard Day's Night.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LesterGroans posted:

I really like Ringo in A Hard Day's Night.

Frank Miller presents A Hard Days Knight Returns

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Frank Miller presents Citizen City

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
who is the Hollywood equivalent of Dave Grohl? Adam Sandler?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

precision posted:

who is the Hollywood equivalent of Dave Grohl? Adam Sandler?

Seth Rogen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Skwirl posted:

Nirvana might not be the greatest Rock and Roll band, they were the last band you could call a great Rock and Roll band.

I don't know what that means. I don't know if what you're saying means anything

• Locked thread