Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

Rich people travel by plane; poor people travel by train.

I got some new information yesterday, so I'll have to look at this in a new light. The figure of 3,500 is actually a number of passengers to some of our islands that by law require such a connection to the mainland.

Apparently a recent analysis says that a functioning modern airport (equipped with ILS) (especially if there is no fast connection between Riga and Tallinn, which is at least 10 years away) would bring in more money by bringing Finnish, Swedish and other foreign tourists to the town, as it briefly did in 2013 until it got closed. The state said back then that EU does not permit state aid to airports no matter how small, but that was changed this year. Airports with less than 3,000,000 passengers per year now qualify for financial aid by the state.

So there is a choice between investing 20 million that will eventually repay itself and also creates jobs vs 17 million to fix up a railroad to take the people to their villages of mostly <500 people, with the cost of one journey 49€, but the tickets now cost 10€ and these passengers are nowhere near as profitable as tourists.

The poor people can take the bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

Rich people travel by plane; poor people travel by train.

Uh maybe in the 60's, airflights are cheaper than trains in many cases now. The economics of anything but low distance high use commuter lines is incredibly lovely, which is why trains consistently require subsidies while airlines are generally profitable around the world even as the price of a ticket has plummeted in the last couple decades.

tsa fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 20, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

So uh is Belarus about to be invaded?

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/898937571375558656

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Could this bi-annual exercise that NATO are fully aware of be a start of an open military invasion? We just don't know, I guess.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Could this bi-annual exercise that NATO are fully aware of be a start of an open military invasion? We just don't know, I guess.

Anyone in Belarus' government accused of being a Nazi?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Paladinus posted:

I don't know dude. It makes perfect sense that Russia would destabilize its only steadfast European ally for no reason.

American media is absolutely batshit about Russia it his hysterical. When I was in Petersburg there were the den' russii protests and CNN was portraying them like massive riots on the streets of Petrograd. In reality most people there were just watching the loving parade and couldn't give 2 shits about politics.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

tsa posted:

Uh maybe in the 60's, airflights are cheaper than trains in many cases now. The economics of anything but low distance high use commuter lines is incredibly lovely, which is why trains consistently require subsidies while airlines are generally profitable around the world even as the price of a ticket has plummeted in the last couple decades.

lol if you think airlines don't get subsidies

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Belarus is a close Russian ally.

In the past they use the military exercises with Belarus as an excuse to move troops and invade someone.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

rear end struggle posted:

American media is absolutely batshit about Russia it his hysterical.
The only thing more exaggerated than the American media's portrayal of events in Russia is some observers' portrayal of the American media's portrayal of events in Russia.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just because we're paranoid, doesn't mean Russia isn't about to invade!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I don't know dude. It makes perfect sense that Russia would destabilize its only steadfast European ally for no reason.

American media is absolutely batshit about Russia it his hysterical. When I was in Petersburg there were the den' russii protests and CNN was portraying them like massive riots on the streets of Petrograd. In reality most people there were just watching the loving parade and couldn't give 2 shits about politics.

Rip slavatuvs, got his spirit broken in the gulag.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

It's West-2017, joint military exercises for Belarus and Russia. Happens fairly regularly. Polish and Baltic press usually publish fun stories about how the Russians and Belarusians are practicing invading or launching nuclear war. Mostly dick-waving at NATO, and then NATO will wave their dicks back.

https://www.obozrevatel.com/abroad/ucheniya-kremlya-v-belarusi-v-seti-ukazali-na-trevozhnyij-moment.htm

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 21, 2017

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

It's West-2017, joint military exercises for Belarus and Russia. Happens fairly regularly. Polish and Baltic press usually publish fun stories about how the Russians and Belarusians are practicing invading or launching nuclear war. Mostly dick-waving at NATO, and then NATO will wave their dicks back.

https://www.obozrevatel.com/abroad/ucheniya-kremlya-v-belarusi-v-seti-ukazali-na-trevozhnyij-moment.htm

And of course you'll find similar stories about dastardly NATO in Russian press any time there is an exercise east of Berlin

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Volkerball posted:

Rip slavatuvs, got his spirit broken in the gulag.

Just the opposite, VB. The spirit of the average Russian is so broken they make 1919 Berlin look like a jubilee. They aren't a threat to your neo-con world order.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Just the opposite, VB. The spirit of the average Russian is so broken they make 1919 Berlin look like a jubilee. They aren't a threat to your neo-con world order.

Except for loving with (or trying very hard to gently caress with) our elections, you mean.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Except for loving with (or trying very hard to gently caress with) our elections, you mean.

I have some bad news for you.

Hillary lost because she was a bad candidate that libs convinced themselves was good.

not because of the scary slav

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 21, 2017

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

I have some bad news for you.

Hillary lost because she was a bad candidate that libs convinced themselves was good.

not because of the scary slav

Did you know multiple things can happen at once?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

khwarezm posted:

Did you know multiple things can happen at once?

Don't blame Russia for your decision to elect demented fat hitler.

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 21, 2017

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Don't blame Russia for your decision to elected demented fat hitler.

I didn't elect anybody, I don't even think that Russian interference greatly affected the outcome of the election, but it still bloody happened and such a precedent is real bad.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I'm sure this will come as a great relief to the Ukrainian and Syrian people.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The actual elections the Russians influence are pretty much every election in Europe.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Russians may invade you or fund far right extremists or meddle in your elections, but they'll be like really sad and cynical while they do it.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad rear end struggle has found his way here after making GBS threads up the Middle East thread.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dodoman posted:

I'm glad rear end struggle has found his way here after making GBS threads up the Middle East thread.

He just returned from Russia where he used a parachute account to post on SA to avoid KGB or something.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

He just returned from Russia where he used a parachute account to post on SA to avoid KGB or something.

I posted on SA from Russia and never got KGBed so

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
I don't know. I assumed the FSB has at least the capability of the American Secret Service when it comes to reading online forums. I doubt they'd actually care about a foreign national saying "death to the troops" but who knows.

And on to the main point. Russia invading ANYONE is a complete hype game, if it was anywhere, it would be an expansion in Ukraine. Until Putin dies in 15-20 years and there is a civil war between oligarchs that is.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

I don't know. I assumed the FSB has at least the capability of the American Secret Service when it comes to reading online forums. I doubt they'd actually care about a foreign national saying "death to the troops" but who knows.

And on to the main point. Russia invading ANYONE is a complete hype game, if it was anywhere, it would be an expansion in Ukraine. Until Putin dies in 15-20 years and there is a civil war between oligarchs that is.

They already invaded Ukraine and already annexed territory from it. This was after they invaded Georgia and annexed territory by proxy a few times. Are you saying they can't do the same thing to anyone else?

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 21, 2017

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Warbadger posted:

They already invaded Ukraine and already annexed territory from it. This was after they actually invaded Georgia and annexed territory from it by proxy a few times. Are you saying they can't do the same thing to anyone else?

why would they?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

why would they?

Because they want the things and places their neighbors have and it plays well to the ethno-nationalists who the current Russian government is pandering to?

Why do you suppose they invaded Georgia, Moldova, and Ukraine?

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 21, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Plus there's the home propaganda angle - as long as you're in (oh-so-righteous) war, people are less likely to complain about the lovely situation in the country. Need to keep the supply of public enemies fresh.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I was under the impression that the Belarusians were worried that Russia was going to decide they'd be more valuable inside Russia than as an ally, so if that's not correct please ignore me.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

If they were gearing up for more serious military action against the west they would probably take Belarus if only not to have to deal with Batka in a war situation, but they're obviously not at this point and Putin is currently under no threat domestically so there's zero reasons to annex Belarus right now.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Back when I played chess in high school everybody called pawns "little dicks" (pinďour)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Back when I played chess in high school everybody called pawns "little dicks" (pinďour)
We used Russian peška in the club because gently caress me if I'm pronouncing bandinieks.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

:tbear: Russia awfulness digest :tbear:

- https://meduza.io/en/feature/2017/08/20/russian-national-tv-ignored-a-domestic-attack-on-pedestrians-this-saturday-claimed-by-isis

quote:

Terrorist violence in Catalonia dominated news headlines around the world this weekend, but another attack on Saturday, August 19, occurred in the Russian city of Surgut, where a man non-fatally stabbed seven pedestrians before being shot and killed by police. The “Islamic State” later claimed responsibility for the incident, though Russian law enforcement are not investigating the stabbings as an act of terrorism. Surprisingly, Russian national news networks nearly ignored the attack in Surgut.

Russian media loooves to gloat about every terrorist (alleged or real) attack in Europe and alarm viewers about Islamic/refugee "menace", but carefully ignores a situation where they can sweep a lone wolf attack under the rug and avoid tensions inside Russia.
Confusion resulted in Emmanuel Macron offering condolences through twitter while Putin was telling kids in Crimea about the dangers of prostitutes and Franz Schubert's death from syphilis.

- https://twitter.com/mashant/status/899633445684510721

Interesting investigation from Fontanka newspaper that connects Wagner PMC operating in Syria with Evgeniy Prigozhin, "Putin's Chef" who has numerous Defense Ministry contracts and is generally agreed to be the man behind Russian "troll factories". Maybe Brown Moses has some details on that in English.
Curiously, Fontanka is not really a liberal or opposition newspaper, so that infodump may point to someone in Kremlin being unhappy with Prigozhin's business and his merceneraries' perfomance in Syria.

- http://tass.com/society/961328

quote:

MOSCOW, August 22. /TASS/. Investigators have detained stage director Kirill Serebrennikov on the suspicion of masterminding 68-million-ruble ($1 million) fraud, Investigative Committee spokeswoman Svetlana Petrenko said." The IC special investigations department has detained the artistic director of the Moscow theater Gogol-Center Kirill Serebrennikov. He is suspected of masterminding the embezzlement of no less than 68 million rubles disbursed for the project Platform," she said.
Serebrennikov faces charges under part 4 of article 159 of Russia’s Criminal Code (Gross Fraud).
"The investigators are going to charge Serebrennikov with committing the aforesaid crime and also to select a restrictive measure," Petrenko said.

Being an artist in Russia remains a dangerous occupation!
Serebrinnikov is easily the most famous modern Russian theater director and one of the Russian movie directors recognized abroad (at least in festival and arthouse circles), so it is a big deal.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 22, 2017

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Giving minimum media attention to terrorist attacks is a good and effective way of combatting it. Wish the Western media followed suit instead of plastering the faces of "martyrs" all over the news.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

pigdog posted:

Giving minimum media attention to terrorist attacks is a good and effective way of combatting it. Wish the Western media followed suit instead of plastering the faces of "martyrs" all over the news.

Yes! But I would like Russia to follow that approach in all coverage, not just when they can afford it.
St. Petersburg attack earlier this year almost resulted in a witch hunt for a bearded dude in muslim clothing who was unrelated to the bombing - yet media happily distributed his photo for the whole day.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There's a difference between using lack of media coverage to combat terrorism and using it to pretend it's something that only happens to the morally corrupt and decadent enemy.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
LifeNews is apparently dead: https://meduza.io/en/news/2017/08/18/pro-kremlin-tabloid-tv-network-is-reportedly-shutting-down-and-laying-off-all-staff

It will be sorely missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rest in piss, LifeNews.