Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Eela6 posted:

If I want to dip my toes in the idol thing in preparation for the season of idols where should I start?

The only thing I've seen remotely along those lines is Symphogear.

Lots of people will say Idolmaster or Love Live, but I'll be one of probably a few to recommend Locodol. It's about a pair of Z-list local idols (hence "Locodols") doing cheesy promo stuff for their town. It's less about the music - which I can usually take or leave in an Idol show - and more about slice of life antics and gags centered around the odd quirks of being a minor local celebrity. The two female leads have a very warm and cute dynamic, too. Nice little show, needs more love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.
Cool, I wasn't expecting a third season of Shokugeki no Soma. Second season was kind of meh, but I'm still into it.

A couple others look kind of interesting too, more than I was interested in this season. Maybe I'll finally get around to watching March Comes In Like A Lion.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Wake-up Girls isn't actually too bad, just its gross factor hits its peak in episode 2 before immediately dropping from that point forward, with all parties responsible getting their rear end kicked. Also the movie is episode 0, and the first episode immediately follows from it and assumes you watched it. WuG is basically an underdog story of a small town agency going up against an even more ridiculous version of AKB48. Both seasons of Love Live, and the first movie and show of WuG are on CR, so that's pretty convenient if you already have an subscription. WuG's sequel movies are less good and probably skippable.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 20, 2017

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The Colonel posted:

idolm@ster: cinderella girls, locodol or love live: sunshine

og love live is ok but it's full of pretty limp drama and i don't think it really goes for anything to make it as especially fun or interesting

This list is disturbingly lacking in Puchim@s.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Watch Idolm@ster: Cinderella Girls for the animation because HOLY HELL, whoever many dudes and ladies animated the dance routines and the character animation, they knocked it out of the park.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
watch it because it's a really well-directed and well-written show, also

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, that too. But seriously, even for things like a simple Victory pose, they went the whole 9 yards:

Dangit. :3:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Fangz posted:

perfect blue

the last, the only

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Calling it now, drunk wife show is AotY

I just read all the manga on batoto before checking this thread, and yeah i could see that.
It's super cute and i like making mixed drinks, so hey!

Also looking forward to Black Clover (if they do it right, yeah) and Shoujo Apocalypse Adventure. I really like that manga.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
so apparently this happened a couple weeks ago but i just learned, studio bones confirmed at a screening a new mob psycho 100 anime is going forward

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Homura and Sickle posted:

so apparently this happened a couple weeks ago but i just learned, studio bones confirmed at a screening a new mob psycho 100 anime is going forward

gently caress YES! :peanut:

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I'm looking forward to Japanese Steven Universe: the Anime.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
yay for Hoozuki S2!!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I am now seven episodes into Centaur's Worries and I still have no idea how I feel about it. The tone of that show is beyond bizarre.

Wark Say posted:

Watch Idolm@ster: Cinderella Girls for the animation because HOLY HELL, whoever many dudes and ladies animated the dance routines and the character animation, they knocked it out of the park.

Alright I'm going with this one!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think Centaur's Worries is supposed to have a consistent theme. It's an examination of the lives of the characters, with enough world-building to help you understand them and the world they live in. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's serious.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't think Centaur's Worries is supposed to have a consistent theme. It's an examination of the lives of the characters, with enough world-building to help you understand them and the world they live in. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's serious.

The truest form of SoL

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Strange Quark posted:

Love Live, in that it's secretly a sports anime about idols instead of an idol anime.

The Colonel posted:

idolm@ster: cinderella girls, locodol or love live: sunshine

og love live is ok but it's full of pretty limp drama and i don't think it really goes for anything to make it as especially fun or interesting

That first post is pretty compelling, and the second one raises a couple confirmation questions.

Cinderella Girls and Sunshine over the originals is a troubling recommendation to accept for someone who insists on watching/playing series' from the beginning, but I am not immovable. Are the sequels/spinoff (I don't know a thing about idolmasters) completely disconnected from the original shows?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Idols are bad

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Futaba Anzu posted:

Idols are bad
:stare:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Hes right

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Idolatry is a sin, after all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

That first post is pretty compelling, and the second one raises a couple confirmation questions.

Cinderella Girls and Sunshine over the originals is a troubling recommendation to accept for someone who insists on watching/playing series' from the beginning, but I am not immovable. Are the sequels/spinoff (I don't know a thing about idolmasters) completely disconnected from the original shows?
cinderella girls is completely disconnected from the original idolmaster, there is literally no connection beyond the title. sunshine makes references to the original show but only in a 'these were popular idols a few years ago' way, though theme-wise i think it does kind of benefit from having watched the original since it's a meta-thing about sequels.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you can only watch idolm@ster after you watch xenoglossia, or the experience is forever ruined

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I liked OG im@s better than CG.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
So, I started watching Knight's & Magic[sic], and I've got to ask, is there something wrong with the main character?
He has literally no personality outside of loving mechs and being loving awesome at magicprogramming. He has no connection to anyone else and it doesn't seem like he responds to other characters. What makes it all the more strange is that the supporting cast seems to have some sort of personality and have meaningful conversations with one another while he just works out some other genius plan after another.
I'm only on episode 3, but I'm getting the feeling that this is probably going to continue for the entire series.

Also, LOL at a 12 year-old not only fighting toe-to-toe with a supposed country destroying monster, but beat it easily while all the adults got their asses summarily handed to them. Were this later in the series, I might accept it, but it was only episode 2!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

That was basically my impression of the manga, but the anime's tonal shifts do feel weird sometimes. One of the ANN reviewers suggested that part of the tonal weirdness is due to putting two standalone chapters in a single episode, but the anime's music, pacing, etc. don't always help either. There's a couple times when Sassasul comes across as menacing where the manga makes her seem more cute, for example.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Postal Parcel posted:

So, I started watching Knight's & Magic[sic], and I've got to ask, is there something wrong with the main character?
He has literally no personality outside of loving mechs and being loving awesome at magicprogramming. He has no connection to anyone else and it doesn't seem like he responds to other characters. What makes it all the more strange is that the supporting cast seems to have some sort of personality and have meaningful conversations with one another while he just works out some other genius plan after another.
I'm only on episode 3, but I'm getting the feeling that this is probably going to continue for the entire series.

Also, LOL at a 12 year-old not only fighting toe-to-toe with a supposed country destroying monster, but beat it easily while all the adults got their asses summarily handed to them. Were this later in the series, I might accept it, but it was only episode 2!

They really, really, really rushed the story along because of stuff later they apparently really wanna do. So there's actually some good characterization bits where he's training people, rescuing people from bullying, etc.

But hey, it's an anime, so MECHS!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Also yes the MC is the stock-standard OP isekai MC.
You get what you pay for :shrug:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Araki posted:

CG suffers from having an idol pool of several dozen and spreading all sorts of character quirks, personality traits, and hobbies between all of them as opposed to the OGs limiting themselves to 12-13 idols. Million Live might be interesting if/when it's animated since it's all of the OGs and then an entirely new cast.

Silver2195 posted:

That was basically my impression of the manga, but the anime's tonal shifts do feel weird sometimes. One of the ANN reviewers suggested that part of the tonal weirdness is due to putting two standalone chapters in a single episode, but the anime's music, pacing, etc. don't always help either. There's a couple times when Sassasul comes across as menacing where the manga makes her seem more cute, for example.

Su-chan is always cute in the series :colbert:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

the million lives are even more thin spread than cg

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Postal Parcel posted:

He has literally no personality outside of loving mechs and being loving awesome at magicprogramming.

It's writing 101 to make your protagonist someone that your intended audience can relate to.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Endorph posted:

cinderella girls is completely disconnected from the original idolmaster, there is literally no connection beyond the title. sunshine makes references to the original show but only in a 'these were popular idols a few years ago' way, though theme-wise i think it does kind of benefit from having watched the original since it's a meta-thing about sequels.

Polsy has screenshots to show that there are definitely connections between OGm@s and CGm@s, even if they're just "look! these scenes happen in the same location!" and "ooh, it's the Ogm@ses in a poster in the background!"

Futaba Anzu posted:

the million lives are even more thin spread than cg

ML adds 37 (well, 39 now) new idols, CG has like 200.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Nipponophile posted:

It's writing 101 to make your protagonist someone that your intended audience can relate to.

Yes, I'm Kazuma.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Speaking of idol shows, Princess Principal.

Araki posted:

:yeah:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
CG's Producer is what puts it over OGm@s, for me. He's adorable and awkward instead of just a harem protagonist.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

at this point the only reason I watch Centaur's Worries is for the continuing adventures of snake girl. everything else is kind of dull.

also, I'll back Cinderella Girls as the premier idol show - in that it's basically the only one I've seen and liked.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

rincewind101 posted:

at this point the only reason I watch Centaur's Worries is for the continuing adventures of snake girl. everything else is kind of dull.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
On a side note, they did hint that there will be a Producer in SideM, but they're still keeping the details under wraps it seems.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Allarion posted:

On a side note, they did hint that there will be a Producer in SideM, but they're still keeping the details under wraps it seems.

Here's hoping for letter P.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't want Nobunaga no Shinobi to end :(

• Locked thread