Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
You guys talking about the game published by Green Ronin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Epi Lepi posted:

You guys talking about the game published by Green Ronin?

Probably!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

What if I told you Haveli isn't even the best Indian restaurant in town? :aaaaa: The real ethnic places exist in the west suburbs. There is a restaurant that is so Indian people throw shitt paper in a wastebin, not flush it. I kid you not.

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 20, 2017

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

djfooboo posted:

What if I told you Haveli isn't even the best Indian restaurant in town? :aaaaa: The real ethnic places exist in the west suburbs. There is a restaurant that is so Indian people throw shitt paper in a wastebin, not flush it. I kid you not.

Really sellin it right there

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

djfooboo posted:

I think I'll skip that particular authentic experience.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Avenging Dentist posted:

This is my fourth year, but I totally agree. My first year was pretty stressful and confusing because I had no idea what to expect. Nowadays, I feel like I have a decent system down for managing the complexity. The only real problem I had is that I only had time to get my costume ready OR my minis, and I chose the costume (I was a Monarch henchman for part of Saturday). Next year, I'm going to try to procrastinate less and get my minis done, or at least done enough for transport.

One thing I find really helpful is putting all my events into my Google calendar so I can see at a glance what's coming up. It's also a good visual aid to help you figure out if you overcommitted.

I have the unofficial GenCon app which has a button to put things into your calendar. I only had a few events but it really helped.

djfooboo posted:

I went to India Palace, some shithole fifteen minutes from downtown. I ordered goat something and had to pick bones out of my mouth every other bite. Did not feel well in the morning.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Thanks for the Haveli recommendation, goons, my wife and I stopped by for dinner last night and had a really good time/meal.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

djfooboo posted:

But enough about the food, how's the atmosphere?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Dhaba Indy is legit excellent and does not have a poo poo can afaik. It's also like a 30 minute drive from downtown so, uhh, that kind of has zero relevance on 95% of you :shrug:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Pro-tip, the Westin is a 5 minute walk from the vendor hall and the skywalk leads straight to the cleanest bathrooms in downtown Indy. Lobby has Wifi and the Starbucks downstairs is a lot less crazy than the JW if you need some coffee.

Since a lot of people are staying in town today, we're setting up games all afternoon in the groupme.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
It's Sunday, time is running out. I encourage everyone at GenCon to check out Eclipse Phase if you haven't already.

I believe Post-Human are doing 2nd Edition demos too (booth 457). Talking to them about their game is literally the main reason I come back here every year.

That and my press badge which sometimes nets me free stuff and gets me conversations with designers I might not otherwise get.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The Eclipse Phase people are like my 'i have arrived' moment usually. Looking at that booth of cyberpunk hypergoth technopunks wedged between the Disney codenames booth and the euro board games is a pleasure

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The Eclipse Phase people are like my 'i have arrived' moment usually. Looking at that booth of cyberpunk hypergoth technopunks wedged between the Disney codenames booth and the euro board games is a pleasure

THERE'S A CODENAMES DISNEY??!?!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Junkie Disease posted:

THERE'S A CODENAMES DISNEY??!?!

And Marvel! I'm on the road or I'd put up a picture, it's Codenames Pictures or whatever with comic art or film screenshots basically

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

And Marvel! I'm on the road or I'd put up a picture, it's Codenames Pictures or whatever with comic art or film screenshots basically

AhhhhhhhHHH!!!!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Goon game of New Angeles crashing and burning super hard because of ransom demands by Fellis in round three despite there being no federalist (allegedly).

"gently caress you pay me"
"no gently caress you, burn this city to the ground"
"ok."
10 threat track progress

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

When I get home tonight I'll put together a collection of pictures from the Gen Con 50 retrospective. It was awesome!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Bottom Liner posted:

Goon game of New Angeles crashing and burning super hard because of ransom demands by Fellis in round three despite there being no federalist (allegedly).

"gently caress you pay me"
"no gently caress you, burn this city to the ground"
"ok."
10 threat track progress

:sherman:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I definitely spent less time in the Exhibition Hall this year than any other, and not at all on purpose. Despite it being the biggest ever. drat, man. So many dollars ended up in the wrong place - - still in my possession.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Great GenCon, everyone. I can't wait to do it again.

On getting home I got probably the best news I've had in a long time, an offer for a second interview. Everyone wish me luck-if it works, I'll be the one buying shots next year.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I blew pretty much my entire wad in the first 15 minutes in the exhibit hall. Between the WarStore and Corvus Belli, it was like there was a vacuum-cleaner hooked directly into my pocket. But I got everything on my list (and a few extras!) and had a rad-as-gently caress time doing it. And I got Haveli Friday evening (mmmm, chicken patia, soooo gooood!), so I consider this year's GenCon experience a success! My only regret is that I ended up being pretty much wall-to-wall busy with running games, playing games, and catching up with old friends that I didn't make any new GoonFriends. :smith:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i pretty much did nothing but board game w/ goony folks. Got to bust out deception a few times, argent a couple of times, and did a bunch of other games other dudes brought. I actually bought 0 things in the exhibit hall, mostly from FFG having a long rear end line all the time and lines being the spawn of satan, and i am also that dude that says to himself,'i can get it cheaper online'. I did add a variety of games to my 'possibly buy' list, but at this point i don't know how often i will buy, i already have too many games i don't get to the table enough.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 21, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Just got back from my first Gen Con and I'm feeling distinctly underwhelmed. I had a hard time finding enough activities to stay busy. It felt like the whole place closed down much earlier than other cons and opened back up later in the morning. We were planning on staying the night this Sunday too, but when it came to it, neither of us could think of a reason to so we headed out when things started closing down at 4.

If I ever go back, I definitely won't be doing anyone's quests. Spent a lot of time helping my wife collect ribbons for Mayfair's 10-ribbons-to-get-a-discount thing. It felt a lot more like an attempt to keep people away from the rest of the con than to encourage me to try their games by the time we got the last ones.

The best part of the con for me was visiting the smaller game makers and smaller booths and getting to try out games that I otherwise would never have seen a review for or known to go looking for. We even learned that my wife likes head-to-head games by stumbling into the Hero Realms part of the vendor hall.

We did stop by the auction room for a little under an hour. Didn't see anything we wanted, but the auctioneers were pretty entertaining.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

LLSix posted:

Just got back from my first Gen Con and I'm feeling distinctly underwhelmed. I had a hard time finding enough activities to stay busy. It felt like the whole place closed down much earlier than other cons and opened back up later in the morning. We were planning on staying the night this Sunday too, but when it came to it, neither of us could think of a reason to so we headed out when things started closing down at 4.

If I ever go back, I definitely won't be doing anyone's quests. Spent a lot of time helping my wife collect ribbons for Mayfair's 10-ribbons-to-get-a-discount thing. It felt a lot more like an attempt to keep people away from the rest of the con than to encourage me to try their games by the time we got the last ones.

The best part of the con for me was visiting the smaller game makers and smaller booths and getting to try out games that I otherwise would never have seen a review for or known to go looking for. We even learned that my wife likes head-to-head games by stumbling into the Hero Realms part of the vendor hall.

We did stop by the auction room for a little under an hour. Didn't see anything we wanted, but the auctioneers were pretty entertaining.

Did you follow the GroupMe? We pretty much had tables in one of the ballrooms every night playing games, drinking, and chatting.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Gotta check out of the motel by 11am tomorrow, flight doesn't leave until 7pm. Anyone know a decent place to kill a few hours in Indy? Preferably where you can take a roller suitcase for a few hours without getting too many weird stares.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
If you ever have the opportunity to demo at Gencon, especially for ffg, I'd highly recommend it. $10 an hour for 23-26ish hours of work. Reimbursed for gas and parking . Free hotel (sort of, I'll get to that). And a bunch of promos handed out before anyone else gets them. On top of that the days you open you have an Exhibitor badge and can get in at 9,set your poo poo up, and wander a relatively empty hall. Most of the other exhibitors are willing to sell you poo poo early, because they are looking to do the same thing. A lot of them will even do quick demos with you. Overall I probably had less free time to do poo poo and I missed out on any daytime events, but having the entire trip funded and pretty much spending none of my own money on games was great.

If I do it again I'll probably pay for my own room. Having two share a small two bed room with 3 random dudes kind of sucked.

Unfortunately I don't know how you get this gig aside from knowing someone or someone that knows someone.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

LLSix posted:

Gen Con is much more a "go with a group if you want to have fun" con than most are. A lot of what people do isn't on the official schedule but more stuff like "I got this new game from the hall, who wants to figure it out with me" and "Hey, we have alcohol and a flat surface, what games do we want to play?" It is much more dealer-hall-focused than other cons; once it closes you're mostly on your own with occasional official events planned.

In other words: "Get in the goon GroupMe."

Gutter Owl posted:

Gotta check out of the motel by 11am tomorrow, flight doesn't leave until 7pm. Anyone know a decent place to kill a few hours in Indy? Preferably where you can take a roller suitcase for a few hours without getting too many weird stares.

Go to the airport early and play more games?

quote:

Extend your Gaming Experience at IND Airport

The Indianapolis Airport (IND) loves Gen Con so much that they're creating dedicated gaming spaces following Gen Con on August 20 and 21. If you're flying out of Indy post-show, these will be great locations to play games while you wait for your flights! In three dedicated gaming areas, they will provide tables and chairs with nearby signage indicating the specific gaming areas.

The three locations will be at:
Civic Plaza (in the pre-security check area, just past the ticketing hall near the restaurants)
Concourse A near 96th Steakburgers
Concourse B near Shapiro’s Deli
Play spaces in the concourses will be smaller in area as compared to Civic Plaza, based on space allocation and airport operations. Help us extend thanks to IND Airport via Twitter using the hashtag #loveindy. Tweet your gaming experience at IND airport with #gencon50, and remember to leave plenty of time to make it to your gate!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

LLSix posted:

What was your expectation going into it?

I fuckin loved it and i almost exclusively lived in jw ballroom 5 after friday. Play games, see someone playing something interesting? Watch a bit, see if you can join. People are very open to just playing poo poo, even with 'strangers'

Also groupme. I played a ton of poo poo with goons

Sloober fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 21, 2017

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Gutter Owl posted:

Myself and a few others will be at the airport around 1pm and don't fly out till 4:30pm. We'll probably be at the gaming area in concourse B. Hit me, deviant, or goldmansack up on groupme.

We'll also be grabbing lunch in the morning before we go probably

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

On the flip side, I had 14 hours worth of events on Saturday, so I'm not quite sure how you couldn't find enough stuff to fill your interest if official convention events is what you were looking for.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Klungar posted:

On the flip side, I had 14 hours worth of events on Saturday, so I'm not quite sure how you couldn't find enough stuff to fill your interest if official convention events is what you were looking for.

:stare:

Tournaments or RPG?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

fordan posted:

:stare:

Tournaments or RPG?

9 different events, nothing longer than two hours. All new board games/RPGs I'd never played before!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Sorry your first gencon was bad LLsix, but it is really strange to be bored at gencon. Are you talking about the just the dealer area closing early and opening late? It's only 10am-6pm yeah, but dealers/volunteers have lives also (or more likely other promotional events to run).

Did you check out the exhibit areas? Most people run comprehensive demos there and are more than happy to get you in a game!

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
If you didn't play Super Robo Rally, I can understand why you'd be underwhelmed. Super Robo Rally is consistently the highlight of my Gen Cons. I played it three times this year, and the 2 hour long session was probably the best game of Robo Rally I've had in my life.

I'm sure there are other great events but I haven't encountered any that hold a candle to Super Robo Rally.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

How easy is it to find and play a monster wargame at GenCon? Is it still a thing that happens or is it all about the normie games now? Assuming I have my GenCon history right, it was originally about wargames. I think that's what I'd like to do at GenCon as it'd be an awesome, rare treat. You can find info on new games easily and you'd be able to buy them cheaply a month or two afterwards anyway, so those don't really interest me.

I keep seeing these pics by people on the BGG facebook and it's just a bunch of commercially available (or soon to be) games at full price. :psyduck: I assume people stand in lines for hours for that crap.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
No Chill La Chill, I don't think you'll find a Campaign for North Africa event at Gen Con. However, you can play the National Security Decision Making game; Fight in the Skies, the only game to be at every single Gen Con; and "mega games" with like 30+ players. And motherfucking Super Robo Rally, which is just Robo Rally except you control Lego Mindstorms robots with cell phones.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 21, 2017

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Fellis posted:

Sorry your first gencon was bad LLsix, but it is really strange to be bored at gencon. Are you talking about the just the dealer area closing early and opening late? It's only 10am-6pm yeah, but dealers/volunteers have lives also (or more likely other promotional events to run).

To expound on this, my first event started at 8 AM and my last one ended at 11 PM. People were already playing games by the time I arrived and were still going strong as I left. Now, I only went one day, instead of all four, so I could go balls to the wall without having to worry about my long term stamina, but I had tertiary and quaternary options at least for each time slot that I had to skip because I just didn't have enough time to cram everything in. I just can't fathom not finding enough to do at GenCon.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I want a football stadium filled with Campaign for North Africa, using giant chits and even bigger notepads.

Also, LL6 sounds like they'd prefer a convention like MAGfest more. That's more of a 24-hour nonstop event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

My first Gencon I tried to plan meticulously and quickly learned by halfway through the first day that it was stressful so I ditched the schedule and just wandered around seeing and doing cool poo poo. If there was ever a lull I'd hit up groupme and play games with goons. Now that's the majority of my time and it makes for a great weekend. I definitely spent more time in the JW than the ICC total this year and it was great.

Things to do when the dealer hall closes or you're bored:

Do the arcade room. It's $6 to get in with generics but the machines are set to free play. Quality varies from year to year but you can always waste at least an hour here.

Watch the auction, especially T.O.V.A and charity portions.

Browse consignment shop for cool and rare garbage.

Eat some good food downtown. Haveli's, Shapiros, the Pittsburg sandwich shop, St. Elmo's, Harry & Izzy's, etc.

Game library to play new things or games you've always wanted to try. It has everything.

Go to the Rio Grande room upstairs from the vendor hall entrance. It's like their own free game library with free refreshments. Hidden gem if you're thirsty and just want to chill.

Browse the event catalog and find open weird things. They have everything from sushi classes to crazy panels on any topic you can imagine.

Read the rule books from your new games while waiting for one of the above.

GroupMe for goon activities.

Do all of the above with beer in a thermos. I had a few each day in the vendor hall. Made the masses much easier to tolerate.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 21, 2017

• Locked thread