Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I hope Cooper is given the choice to return to his old life or remain Dougie forever and chooses Dougie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I love the idea of the Roadhouse MC just introducing random songs with his volume sign and everyone going wild for ZZ Top.

Man, the Ed & Norma and Log Lady scenes were tearjerkers. You can tell how much Lynch cared about Coulson with her send off.

I can't recall at the moment but why did Mr. C want Duncan Todd dead? Was it because he failed to get rid of Dougie?

Was there some sort of CG fuckery going on with the woman who opened Phillip's door? There seemed something weird about her face but I can't quite make out if there was anything going on. And man, that scene at the very end of her just standing there was creepy as hell.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

el oso posted:

I can't recall at the moment but why did Mr. C want Duncan Todd dead? Was it because he failed to get rid of Dougie?

That's my assumption. He told Hutch and Chantal that he had a "double-header" for them in Las Vegas, after Todd told him about Ike's failure. Previously, he'd had the hip-hop-music-lady killed by Ike after her assassins failed. Seems like he doesn't care about the killers who fail, just their management.

(Edit: Oooh wait, by those standards, since he sent Hutch and Chantal after Dougie himself, if they fail he has to assassinate himself!)

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

The Audrey scenes are clearly not in the usual space we see events unfold but in some weird uncanny side-place. There's a reason they're secluded off from referencing pretty much anything else in the show beyond their own internal ruleset (e.g. characters we've never heard of). I was kind of creeped out by the way Charlie said "here at the threshold" instead of "here at the door" like a normal person as well. And whoever noted the Beckett style parallel pretty much has it right though it's less open about its nihilism. That said, we never see the progression that makes the scenes possible, instead we cut straight into a moment of stagnation and the failure to progress. It's frustrating on purpose.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

el oso posted:

Was there some sort of CG fuckery going on with the woman who opened Phillip's door? There seemed something weird about her face but I can't quite make out if there was anything going on. And man, that scene at the very end of her just standing there was creepy as hell.

i also thought there seemed to be something odd about her face and i was anticipating a spooky reveal. but i'm not sure that they actually did anything with her face and i think it was just the darkness playing tricks on me

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

el oso posted:

The dumbassassins are going around tying up all of Booper's loose ends as they become irrelevant. First the prison warden, now Duncan Todd, presumably next is Anthony Sinclair. He has all of the information Todd could have given him now, and so he's not necessary to whatever the gently caress Booper's plan is anymore.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Was the mysterious woman above the convenience store credited a name?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Berke Negri posted:

Was the mysterious woman above the convenience store credited a name?

Seeing her in the last shot during the credits scared me.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
Some more bits I noticed after a second watch through...

The whole appearance and demeanor of the weird lady at the motel makes me think there's some connection to Carl Rodd. It just feels a bit like some of his scenes in FWWM.

With all the stuff about Project Blue Book and aliens in relation to the lodge entities, is the convenience store analogous to a UFO/spaceship?

From their conversations and their actions I am beginning to think of Hutch and Chantal as human personifications of the banality of evil.

I also noticed that Trick (the guy at the Roadhouse who complained about almost being run over by a car, who is played by Scott Coffey who was the male rabbit in Rabbits) was sitting in the booth behind Ruby at the end.

I'm going to have to go back and do some checking, but dammit I swear that Janey-E has been wearing that same outfit through most of, if not all of, her scenes. Also, she seems to have unlimited chocolate cake (super powers given to her by The Fireman!?!)

JazzFlight posted:

It's really weird why they credited her as her Steven Universe character, lol.

That seems like a really weird reference for them to be making, but then we also apparently have One Punch Man so...

Wait...

STEVEN!?

Section 9 fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 21, 2017

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

J_RBG posted:

The Audrey scenes are clearly not in the usual space we see events unfold but in some weird uncanny side-place. There's a reason they're secluded off from referencing pretty much anything else in the show beyond their own internal ruleset (e.g. characters we've never heard of). I was kind of creeped out by the way Charlie said "here at the threshold" instead of "here at the door" like a normal person as well. And whoever noted the Beckett style parallel pretty much has it right though it's less open about its nihilism. That said, we never see the progression that makes the scenes possible, instead we cut straight into a moment of stagnation and the failure to progress. It's frustrating on purpose.

Yeah, it's going to be interesting seeing how exactly these scenes tie in to everything else. We've seen time loving up all throughout the show, but the Audrey and Charlie scenes are where it seems the most obvious to me. Days and nights are seen going by elsewhere, but the two of them have been there arguing about going to the Roadhouse and loving about with their coats this whole time like they're stuck inside a single moment.

On another note, holy hell were the Log Lady/Catherine Coulson scenes amazing. Such a sweet tribute and sendoff. Total gut punch.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

"Drunk Guy" who has just been sitting in a cell oozing and repeating things for 2 episodes might be one of my favorite bit parts so far. That makeup is so drat gross, too.

And I definitely think the gunshot effect was intentional, Lynch has done several "realistic" gunshots in this very season alone, and I don't think it's a budget thing because there's no way that setup was the easiest way to film it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I love the scenes with the assassins. They feel very Tarantino-esque and not just because of the actors.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Great episode. I find the dark hobo squad and everything to do with the convenience store deeply unsettling. I let out a whimper when they showed up.

I also squealed with joy when Booper kicked the poo poo out of Richard.

I can't believe we've only got two more Sundays of this. I'm going to be so sad when this is over, but then I'll binge it all in one shot and break my brain.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Basticle posted:

fuckin lmao

its like they used a bad practical dummy (when watching it initially I thought it was like the opening of Dawn of the Dead) mixed with bad CGI blood and gore.

I guess Chantal's pulled some Wanted poo poo where she shot above his head then made the bullet loop back around and get him in the back of the head.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

SeANMcBAY posted:

I love the scenes with the assassins. They feel very Tarantino-esque and not just because of the actors.

I think there was an intentional nod to Pulp Fiction in their last exchange, just a name change away from "I love you pumpkin / I love you honey bunny"

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

The weird gunshot effects definitely isn't some budget limitation given everything else in the show, I think it's just Lynch being David Lynch and some weird thing he's obsessed with for whatever reason.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Anyone have ideas of who Judy could be? She’s someone (Evil) Coop already knows, so...

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think all of the "off" effects are intentional, and good. It's infinitely more memorable than doing it the "right" way, which we've all seen a zillion times, as demonstrated by this very discussion

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Anyone have ideas of who Judy could be? She’s someone (Evil) Coop already knows, so...

Diane? Maybe she's Judy Diane Evans. Judy-E and Janey-E?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the fact that the convenience store is corporeal and can change locations pretty much confirms the telephone pole is too imo

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
also what did richard see? evil coop materializes on the payphone and richard already has a gun pointed at him.

amazing episode.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Major (Judy) Garland Briggs

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Major (Judy) Garland Briggs
mods namechange plz tia

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
The log lady stuff makes me realize--any scene Albert has in the finale will be so sad, even if it isn't meant to be.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

holy gently caress

General Dog posted:

I guess Chantal's pulled some Wanted poo poo where she shot above his head then made the bullet loop back around and get him in the back of the head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wi-lW2poE4

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Maybe Judy is Sarah Palmer/her dark passenger?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rageaholic Monkey: Who's Judy? WHO is Judy?? WHO IS JUDY?

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I wonder if maybe the woman who opened the room so Booper could visit the Bowie Steampunk Teakettle is the frog-roach girl.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I love that the one time Booper doesn't get an answer to his cold-hearted questioning, he is so perturbed and stumped by the concept of not getting an answer that all he can do is repeat his question in an angrier voice.

edit: Like what if Ray had just been like "nah I'm not gonna tell you anything, you're gonna kill me anyway lol"?? Would he have just tortured Ray forever with real torture and/or darkness magic torture?? What if Ray had ungodly fortitude and nothing Booper did could get him to spill the beans? Would they arm wrestle for the info??

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I wonder if maybe the woman who opened the room so Booper could visit the Bowie Steampunk Teakettle is the frog-roach girl.

No that's Sarah.....maybe????

All of a sudden Sarah is a major player and seems to be popping up in the black lodge stuff. I just have no idea where its going.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I hope Cooper is given the choice to return to his old life or remain Dougie forever and chooses Dougie.

"Would you like to return to Agent Cooper or stay as Dougie forever?"

"Dougie forever."

drat right.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Big Ed :unsmith:

Log Lady.... :smith:

That scene of their reaction in the conference room to the news was just heartbreaking.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

sheriff business

nopants
May 29, 2004
I got home and started the episode half way through, but my drunk rear end dint know until I hit the credits. Cool beans.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

sheriff business

"Yeah that sucks about the Log Lady and all but does having evil parents make you biologically evil??"

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 21, 2017

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

CJacobs posted:

[BLOW LANDS THUNDEROUSLY]

Looking forward to more of this

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i wonder what other hijinks English has gotten into with his hulk hand since arriving in Twin Peaks, given Chad's reaction

i bet he can break out of that cell at will if something needs to be done to safeguard the eyeless lady

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
i figured judy was eyeless lady

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Why did James get arrested? There should have been about 80 witnesses that saw him not do anything except get the poo poo kicked out of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nopants
May 29, 2004

zeal posted:

i wonder what other hijinks English has gotten into with his hulk hand since arriving in Twin Peaks, given Chad's reaction

i bet he can break out of that cell at will if something needs to be done to safeguard the eyeless lady

He'll bust through the wall so he can defeat the hand's evil plot.