Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

You can buy them if you're in the Disney Movie Club. My mom has them.

I've seen both of them on YouTube as well. They were some of my favorite movies as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$6.49 - Chinatown https://www.amazon.com/Chinatown-Bl...b36f6cbdb0e2feb

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Is this the good version of Predator? I found it for $6 at a used store today.

Thanks
VVVVVVV

Boinks fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 11, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think so as it's 2007 and the wax version came out after. That one is just super grainy, and generally preferred.

e: Yup 2010s 'Ultimate Hunter Edition' is the bad one.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 11, 2017

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

There really is no good Predator blu-ray. You got the '08 edition which is an old and pixelated transfer with a bad codec and tiny disc. The Ultimate Hunter Edition from '10 on the other hand has too much grain removal and has a Vaseline gloss over it. I went with the newer one for more features.

2008 transfer

2010 transfer

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is there any hope for 50's schlock like It Conquered The World or Invasion of the Saucermen to ever get blu releases? The last time I saw It Conquered... was 20 years ago on VHS and apparently it never even got a DVD release.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is there any hope for 50's schlock like It Conquered The World or Invasion of the Saucermen to ever get blu releases? The last time I saw It Conquered... was 20 years ago on VHS and apparently it never even got a DVD release.

A lot of AIP stuff is owned by Susan Hart, widow of James Nicholson, and she has been asking wayyyyy too much. It's the reason the MST3K episodes featuring It Conquered the World, Amazing Colossal Man, and War of the Colossal Beast are never going to get an official release (as well as Attack of the the Eye Creatures which is a remake of Saucermen).

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
The new Arrow edition of Ronin is not a huge improvement over the MGM but it's there and I clearly need to buy it because what else am I gonna do with my money?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Ended up ordering Portrait of Jason from the Milestone sale. I caught it on TCM a while ago and thought it was incredible.

Also, I watched a few minutes of the remastered My Fair Lady. Absolutely stunning in terms of color and detail. Though, the last copy I had was the Warner 2-disc DVD, the sound is a huge improvement. I recall the dialogue often sounding a bit tinny, but it's like a brand new film.

Steen71 posted:

The new Arrow edition of Ronin is not a huge improvement over the MGM but it's there and I clearly need to buy it because what else am I gonna do with my money?

The original doesn't look awful, but Arrow's looks way sharper and more film-like. I bet it looks even better in motion. Though, I don't think the quality difference would be as apparent on smaller screens.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
I'm guessing that the old one was a (pretty decent) 2K scan and the new one is 4K. Or it could just be because the old one was MPEG2.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Digital code for Alien Covenant. They say you're supposed to go through https://foxredeem.com/: 47KQMAHP57FGRM39. Please post if you take it so others don't bother.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

Digital code for Alien Covenant. They say you're supposed to go through https://foxredeem.com/: 47KQMAHP57FGRM39. Please post if you take it so others don't bother.

Woohoo, I actually got this! Thanks!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, Milestone Films will donate $1 of every item sold during their sale this week to the SPLC. Good time to get the Shirley Clarke films.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Who has the best version of the new Alien movie? Any exclusive steel book or anything?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Boinks posted:

Who has the best version of the new Alien movie? Any exclusive steel book or anything?

I picked up the steelbook at best buy and it's pretty nice.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alien-covenant-steelbook-includes-digital-copy-blu-ray-dvd-only--best-buy-2017/5892801.p?skuId=5892801

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Boinks posted:

Best Buy has a steelbook, Target has a digibook that has concept sketches and stuff, Walmart has a not-terrible-looking T-shirt.

I actually bought both the Best Buy and Target versions today because I'm Xenomrph and of course I loving did. I'm hoping the Target version has interesting original content and isn't just a condensed/abridged version of the movie's Making Of/Concept Art book (which I have). If it is, I'll likely resell it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That tshirt is garbage. There was so many better ones. I don't get it.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Best Buy has a steelbook, Target has a digibook that has concept sketches and stuff, Walmart has a not-terrible-looking T-shirt.

I actually bought both the Best Buy and Target versions today because I'm Xenomrph and of course I loving did. I'm hoping the Target version has interesting original content and isn't just a condensed/abridged version of the movie's Making Of/Concept Art book (which I have). If it is, I'll likely resell it.

Thanks! Is the media book the same height as the original blu ray quadrilogy case?

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

E; Wrong thread.

RedSpider fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 16, 2017

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Boinks posted:

Thanks! Is the media book the same height as the original blu ray quadrilogy case?

It's a digibook, so it's the same size as a basic bluray case.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
What's the best version of The Rock? Is there anything on the Criterion I can't get anywhere else?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well goddamn. My Target has no trace of Covenant. Not even a price sticker. So odd.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

October Warner Archive:

Innocent Blood (international cut)
The Hidden
The Law and Jake Wade
Brigadoon
The Illustrated Man
Waiting for Guffman
Porky Pig 101 (DVD-only, all the 1935-1943 Porky Pig cartoons)

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Egbert Souse posted:

October Warner Archive:

Innocent Blood (international cut)
The Hidden
The Law and Jake Wade
Brigadoon
The Illustrated Man
Waiting for Guffman
Porky Pig 101 (DVD-only, all the 1935-1943 Porky Pig cartoons)

Ooh, The Hidden. Haven't seen that in a long time, don't think the wife has ever seen it. Does anyone know if it's a quality transfer and such?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

November Criterion titles:

Le Samouraï
Jabberwockey
Desert Hearts
The Philadelphia Story
and lastly a collection of 100 films on the Olympics

Jabberwockey is the only one that interests me this month. Maybe Le Samouraï.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Ooh, The Hidden. Haven't seen that in a long time, don't think the wife has ever seen it. Does anyone know if it's a quality transfer and such?

Almost everything from Warner Archive is from a fresh 2K scan of the interpositive/fine-grain positive or 4K scan of the camera negative. They also max out the bitrate and include original mixes whenever possible.

More details on the Porky Pig set: It's not on Blu-ray because it wasn't in the budget and it sounds like it took a huge amount of convincing to get WB to even do a DVD set. All the new-to-disc cartoons (about 60 of them) are from new transfers from 35mm prints. Pre-order copies will be actual DVDs instead of DVD-Rs. Dated Sept. 19 on the Warner Archive site.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
WAITING FOR GUFFMAN YES YES YES YES YES

I will now spend the next seven weeks with "This Bulging River" stuck in my head

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Aw snap Le Samourai

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Egbert Souse posted:

Almost everything from Warner Archive is from a fresh 2K scan of the interpositive/fine-grain positive or 4K scan of the camera negative. They also max out the bitrate and include original mixes whenever possible.

Excellent, thanks!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$28.49 - Buster Keaton: The Shorts Collection 1917-1923 https://www.amazon.com/Buster-Keato...9b130300fe58776
$89.99 - Grimm: The Complete Series (Season 1-6) https://www.amazon.com/Grimm-The-Co...308f79bc2bc1e84

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
They keep pushing back the release for the Red Dwarf Series 1-5 Blu-rays and it's driving me crazy. It was supposed to come out this month, then they got pushed back to October, now it's February 2018.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hadn't heard of those... gotta be one of the lowest quality sources for a BR release as it's all analog video, so intrigued what the selling point is. Time to google!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

EL BROMANCE posted:

I hadn't heard of those... gotta be one of the lowest quality sources for a BR release as it's all analog video, so intrigued what the selling point is. Time to google!

I did the same...and is there any truth to this?

quote:

As memory serves, the BDA specifically disallows the release of purely SD content – it has to be upscaled or otherwise “enhanced” for high-def viewing. When my dad worked for Disney they ran into issues with this as they’d wanted to put out a Bluray set of one of their old Saturday morning offerings – one disc containing the entire show – but they were shot down, and releasing a multi-disc set wasn’t considered worth the money it’d spend to produce at the time (2009, I believe).
I can’t tell you which show it was, mind, but it was a pretty hectic time over at Disney. Life was like a hurricane.

I also found this.

https://twitter.com/DougRDNaylor/status/743725785752576000

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha yeah, I found the same discussion thread. That rule sucks, and answers my multi year query as to why we never saw SD box sets turned into single disc BD releases.

I'm gonna go with my gut feeling that this Red Dwarf release will be mostly a waste of time. Except the possibility that there'll be a dubbed Japanese audio track that might entertain for a few minutes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Huh, that sounds like a dumb standard IMHO. Does that mean though that given the option, I should reach for the DVD version of anything that had to be upscaled for Blu?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If it's one versus the other, then the codec efficiency for blu-ray is going to be better than the old MPEG2 one used for DVD and the audio options will be better too. If you already have the DVD version, then buying the BD just might not be a worthwhile upgrade, especially at full price.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Wait, I thought Animeigo was doing SD releases on Blu-ray?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I wonder if them only doing seasons 1-5 is because after that the show gets progressively shittier and shittier.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Cemetry Gator posted:

only the shot-on-video bits of Otaku no Video are SD (understandably)--all the actual animation is true HD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cemetry Gator posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if being a tiny company that barely anyone pays attention to gets them some leeway on this stuff compared to Literally Disney.

• Locked thread