Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

silence_kit posted:

I'm shocked that posters in this thread are against the death penalty given that many posters periodically fantasize in this thread about the execution of Republicans and violent secession of California from the Union whenever their favorite politicians are not in power in the Federal government.

So much for the tolerant left!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

silence_kit posted:

I'm shocked that posters in this thread are against the death penalty given that many posters periodically fantasize in this thread about the execution of Republicans and violent secession of California from the Union whenever their favorite politicians are not in power in the Federal government.

It's pretty sad that you can't distinguish between fiction and reality.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

silence_kit posted:

And they said IMAX went out of style.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

silence_kit posted:

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

silence_kit posted:

I don't think anyone has ever supported California seceding in this thread homie

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I don't think anyone has ever supported California seceding in this thread homie

that's what them california pinkos believe now, apparently

you heard it from that guy first

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Grand Prize Winner posted:

that's what them california pinkos believe now, apparently

you heard it from that guy first

The weird thing is it's usually not the pinkos. Of the prominent movements, one was transparently Putinist, another was transparently techbro*, and the last thought a third party could accomplish anything good ever in a first-past-the-post system.

*No, not the Six Californias jerk, the other one that wanted to remove the shackles from California's ability to compete.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

silence_kit posted:

Executing republicans is unnecessary at this point. We're now about executing obstructionist centrist dems.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Dead Reckoning posted:

The fact that we allow criminals to go free when evidence is improperly gathered is only because we have embraced an adversarial legal system as a check on government power, not because it is morally correct.
I am 100% ok with some crooked cops kicking in your door and "finding" reasons that you should be immediately punished on the spot, and based on their moods and whims.

silence_kit posted:

I'm shocked that posters in this thread are against the death penalty given that many posters periodically fantasize in this thread about the execution of Republicans
Criminals deserve trials, and that should not end in an irreversible judgement of death.

No one thinks that Republicans deserve trials. Lets stay serious.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Executing republicans is unnecessary at this point. We're now about executing obstructionist centrist dems.

THIS. poo poo. RIGHT. HERE. FAM.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

dont be mean to me posted:

The weird thing is it's usually not the pinkos. Of the prominent movements, one was transparently Putinist, another was transparently techbro*, and the last thought a third party could accomplish anything good ever in a first-past-the-post system.

*No, not the Six Californias jerk, the other one that wanted to remove the shackles from California's ability to compete.

Yeah, I'm actually fond of thinking of Calfornia as a distinct country/nation/community, but I still think "Calexit" is a retarded fantasy for political manchildren.

People who want California to "stand apart" would be better off trying to figure out what it means to be Californian, how we can represent communities besides LA and the Bay, why our state government is so inept and dysfunctional, and why our local politics are a tribalistic clusterfuck dominated by old nimbys, niche advocacy groups, and partisan hacks.

I love California and we're a big, rich state with massive potential, but anyone who has actually gotten involved with California politics can tell you just how horrifically unprepared we are to "go it alone." Even if secession were feasible (lol no), it would still be a vastly longer, harder, and more destructive road than just waiting for the reality show presidency to end.

Plus, um, most of us actually like being American.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

1 in 8 Americans is also a Californian. It's our country, and no one acting in our best interest would tell us to leave it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

so you're saying it's less leaving and more kicking the other states out? i mean, secession has been pretty thoroughly settled but iunno about expulsion.

e: being flippant, I do not support CA leaving the union

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

No one sane does. The United States provides a lifetime and counting of guarantees for international trade and diplomacy and just tons of our logistical needs (such as water and power). In turn, California provides tons of tax revenue and goods and services (even finished goods once again), and a political ratchet limiting how much damage garden-variety turds can do once in office - while dragging the other States kicking and screaming into the 20th century via its sheer size alone.

The problem is that this isn't a time for the sane. The concept of bipartisanship (indeed, of cooperation in general) was basically ruined for the foreseeable future before the current Spite House, which would want to see us destroyed out of sheer revenge for not falling into line last November and not being sibilant servants of New York or whatever - and if North Korea got to 'do' North Korea, his public vindication, the emergence of a new common enemy for the world that ISN'T America, and the worst elements of an already atavistic and misanthropic Republican Party getting to run roughshod over the Union until* it falls apart would be merely frosting.

*This not being 'unless' is certain, but cold comfort indeed, given that their party seems hellbent on choking out and drowning the world in a vain and futile bid to make God save them out of pity (read: literally trying to rules-lawyer God).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 21, 2017

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

What are the odds of shitheads like Duncan Hunter Jr., Issa, or Rohrbacher getting voted off Congress island this go round? Do the Dems have reasonable candidates?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Zwabu posted:

What are the odds of shitheads like Duncan Hunter Jr., Issa, or Rohrbacher getting voted off Congress island this go round? Do the Dems have reasonable candidates?

For Issa and Rohrbacher's districts, they definitely do. I know that in CA-48, one of them, Harley Rouda, has been buying near-constant Facebook ads. (I'm in a nearby district but I still see his ads). The guy who ran against Issa last year and came within a hairsbreadth of beating him is running again along with some other challengers.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Instant Sunrise posted:

For Issa and Rohrbacher's districts, they definitely do. I know that in CA-48, one of them, Harley Rouda, has been buying near-constant Facebook ads. (I'm in a nearby district but I still see his ads). The guy who ran against Issa last year and came within a hairsbreadth of beating him is running again along with some other challengers.

San Diego Dems have a proud tradition of ignoring East County, but given the depths of Hunter's idiocy, they might get off their asses just this once.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Duckbag posted:

Dude, no. The evidence was excluded because it was inadmissable. The cops/DA aren't getting "punished." They just hosed up a case because they were bad at their jobs.
This is actually what the posters I was responding to were arguing though.

There is no other way to parse this sentence than as a statement that the purpose/benefit of the exclusionary rule is to deter misbehavior by police and prosecutors:

Trabisnikof posted:

If deterrence works then failing on such a high profile case will be a better deterrent to future bad action by police and prosecutors rather than letting them abuse the law and still get their way.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Just because people are saying the prosecutors deserved it doesn't mean it was actually a punishment, you incredible buffoon.
Actually, this is what people were arguing. See above. If something has deterrent value, it is almost by definition a harm or penalty.

I also think it would be interesting to discuss the reasons for having the exclusionary rule in the first place, rather than simply stating it exists because of the bill of rights.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Aug 21, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Another big thing for 2018 is that the governor race here might be Dem vs Dem. That will probably depress Republican turnout further. 2018 is looking like a big opportunity here.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

So this is where we end up when too many cop tv shows are burned into the American psyche.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

silence_kit posted:

fukken ZING

he got us you guys

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Skyscraper posted:

fukken ZING

he got us you guys

To be fair, "say things I actually believe in such a way that I can fall back on 'it's just a joke you humorless idiot you're to stupid to get it' if called out or challenged" is a really annoying problem in D&D.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

FRINGE posted:

Criminals deserve trials, and that should not end in an irreversible judgement of death.

No one thinks that Republicans deserve trials. Lets stay serious.

Lol

Dead Reckoning posted:

To be fair, "say things I actually believe in such a way that I can fall back on 'it's just a joke you humorless idiot you're to stupid to get it' if called out or challenged" is a really annoying problem in D&D.

I don't think that it is an annoying problem, but it is amusing to me that many of these same posters probably whine about FYAD irony when it is applied to their sacred cows. Sometimes they even use irony when whining about it, further undermining their supposed principled stance against the societal dangers of ironic humor.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 21, 2017

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dead Reckoning posted:

Actually, this is what people were arguing. See above. If something has deterrent value, it is almost by definition a harm or penalty.

Just because people are arguing that, doesn't make it actually the case, you inimitable moron.

silence_kit posted:

I don't think that it is an annoying problem, but it is amusing to me that many of these same posters probably whine about FYAD irony when it is applied to their sacred cows. Sometimes they even use irony when whining about it, further undermining their supposed principled stance against the societal dangers of ironic humor.

It's cool how you only respond to people who aren't seriously engaging you. Makes you seem real worth debating.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

silence_kit posted:

oh no please don't slaughter my sacred cows silence_kit

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

silence_kit posted:

Lol

How dare I crack jokes about our most beloved and vulnerable class of people, the state legislature!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Just because people are arguing that, doesn't make it actually the case, you inimitable moron.
If you think the people I'm disagreeing with are wrong, I don't understand why you're yelling at me.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

How dare I crack jokes about our most beloved and vulnerable class of people, the state legislature!

I honestly thought your post was funny, hence the Lol

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!
Some truth bombs being dropped ITT

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

will anyone escape unscathed

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dead Reckoning posted:

If you think the people I'm disagreeing with are wrong, I don't understand why you're yelling at me.

You are making assertions about the actual reasoning behind the downgrade to life imprisonment that are not true. It doesn't matter what people are telling you. What you are saying is wrong.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You are making assertions about the actual reasoning behind the downgrade to life imprisonment that are not true. It doesn't matter what people are telling you. What you are saying is wrong.
The things I'm saying when I'm quoting other posters?
I'm telling them that their reasoning is bad so again, IDK why you're getting mad at me.

Follow up: If the purpose of the exclusionary isn't to punish/deter police misconduct like Trabisnikof said, what do you think its purpose is?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm telling them that their reasoning is bad so again, IDK why you're getting mad at me.

Follow up: If the purpose of the exclusionary isn't to punish/deter police misconduct like Trabisnikof said, what do you think its purpose is?

I actually didn't say that was the purpose, only that within a pro-deterrent framework it would make sense to not allow unethical behavior to have no negative consequences. Hence my prefacing my statement with "if deterrance...."

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dead Reckoning posted:

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Actually my fetish is for not imprisoning or executing innocent people, or violating criminal rights

Figures you'd be the one arguing "we should just let the cops do whatever they want as long as bad people die"

If the evidence is obtained improperly, it is invalid evidence. If the sentence is based on invalid evidence, it is thrown out. These are core concepts fundamental to the idea of due process. It's not a punishment, idiot. It's following the Constitution and rule of law.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

I actually didn't say that was the purpose, only that within a pro-deterrent framework it would make sense to not allow unethical behavior to have no negative consequences. Hence my prefacing my statement with "if deterrance...."
Even if you're backpedaling to "well I was just saying that, if you believe in deterrence (which I don't)..." it still doesn't make sense as a deterrence measure. If it turns out that a firefighter was drunk on duty when he responded to a call, should we go back and burn down the building so that he thinks twice before doing it again? Why is it preferable to professionally sanctioning the responsible police/DAs?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

If the evidence is obtained improperly, it is invalid evidence. If the sentence is based on invalid evidence, it is thrown out. These are core concepts fundamental to the idea of due process. It's not a punishment, idiot. It's following the Constitution and rule of law.
They aren't fundamental to the idea of due process, only to the process we have chosen to adopt. I understand the exclusionary rule has a constitutional basis, that isn't what I'm asking.

Evidence being improperly collected does not render it invalid. If a criminal does not dispute the truthfulness of the evidence of his guilt, but merely asserts that it was improperly obtained, why does allowing him to go free for lack of evidence better serve the interests of justice than admitting the evidence and professionally sanctioning the responsible law enforcement officer? Do you think the Supreme Court erred in deciding Utah v. Strieff and similar cases?

Not all countries have an exclusionary rule. Do you think that its absence means that their citizens are not afforded due process and justice?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Okay smart guy, if punishment isn't the fundamental cause of any and all events in the justice system, how come it's the only one I care about? And no using any of your fancy city-boy psychology either!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dead Reckoning posted:

allowing him to go free for lack of evidence

I can't believe how incredibly dishonest you're still being. There's no point having this argument with you when you just lie about all the facts. He's getting life in prison. Compared to that, putting him in a grave is letting him walk.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I can't believe how incredibly dishonest you're still being. There's no point having this argument with you when you just lie about all the facts. He's getting life in prison. Compared to that, putting him in a grave is letting him walk.

I was speaking in the abstract, the principle behind the thing, the why, not about any particular case. Can you answer the question now? How does suppressing true evidence serve the interests of justice?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Come on guys let's not make this bigger than it is. All Dead Reckoning is saying is what if the Bill of Rights... is wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

Even if you're backpedaling to "well I was just saying that, if you believe in deterrence (which I don't)..." it still doesn't make sense as a deterrence measure. If it turns out that a firefighter was drunk on duty when he responded to a call, should we go back and burn down the building so that he thinks twice before doing it again? Why is it preferable to professionally sanctioning the responsible police/DAs?

Perhaps in a perfect world where cops were unbiased in their illegal searches and were actually punished for anything, ever, short of murdering someone on camerAHAHAHA