Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's just got 4 blue spheres and they're in the corners so I can't figure out how to get the rings

I still don't understand the 'intended way' for this. But I got it by grabbing one set of rings and a blue. Then I took the jumper, and in the middle of the space before the one directly ahead of it, I started to jump through the bounce spheres, and when it turned into a + shape of them, I turned right, I think? I had to pivot while standing on a bumper, is the thing. Then I went straight ahead until I reached the normal path again, jumped out into normal floor, and turned left onto the jumper sphere like normal. The rest of the stage was straight forward until I just hit the rest like normal.

tl;dr: Good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Hrist posted:

I still don't understand the 'intended way' for this. But I got it by grabbing one set of rings and a blue. Then I took the jumper, and in the middle of the space before the one directly ahead of it, I started to jump through the bounce spheres, and when it turned into a + shape of them, I turned right, I think? I had to pivot while standing on a bumper, is the thing. Then I went straight ahead until I reached the normal path again, jumped out into normal floor, and turned left onto the jumper sphere like normal. The rest of the stage was straight forward until I just hit the rest like normal.

tl;dr: Good luck.

I'm 99% sure the intended way was to get the first sphere and its rings while moving backwards. After getting the sphere you just press forward and you'll end up collecting the last set of rings before the final sphere.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
Finally got that Fourth Emerald! Three left....

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i'd be perfectly happy if they just made another sonic mania. make them forever

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

actually please give me chaotix mania

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

corn in the bible posted:

actually please give me chaotix mania

Vs the Hooligans. They already have sprites.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

What's the bug with the OOZ2 boss I see people keep mentioning?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Pro tip for emerald hunters: There is a ring in Studiopolis Act 1 that you can get to in less than 20 seconds. Just keep going forward, down the ramp, and then up the wall next to 2 spinning half circles of bumpers. Double back all the way over those (you'll need to bounce off the top one if you're solo Sonic) go down the ramp and there's your ring! I got it down to like 17 or 18 seconds after a bit.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

also if you're playing as knuckles there's a ring right at the start of mirage saloon

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Motto posted:

What's the bug with the OOZ2 boss I see people keep mentioning?

I think it might be instantly dying in you're standing on the platform the boss pulls down.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

I think it might be instantly dying in you're standing on the platform the boss pulls down.

It happened consistently enough that I assumed that was intentional, annoying as it was. If it's a bug then that boss will be way less annoying after fixing that.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

corn in the bible posted:

also if you're playing as knuckles there's a ring right at the start of mirage saloon

Knuckles has a ring right at the start of Green Hill; why complicate things?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So uh... apparently Knuckles can skip some dumb poo poo. It'll get patched out sometime I guess so if you're hung up on Hydrocity 2, as Knux there you go.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

That doesn't count, that thing can't possibly kill you dozens of times like Mecha Sonic can. :colbert:.

When I first saw the boss arena, with Metal Sonic taking the Chaotix pose and the tubes in the background, I was convinced Metal Sonic was going to operate the Chaotix character select machine and pull out all the old robot Sonics. Silver Sonic was a good pull, but man that woulda been tops.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Even faster Metallic Madness Act 2! 1'10"52

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R32D_DqC-Do

Without a different route or a ton of optimizing the first half I don't know if this is going to get much faster

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I never thought I'd say this after playing so much Sonic CD, but...

Tiny Sonic...is good

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Evil Eagle posted:

Tiny Sonic...is good

Looking forward to my Knuckles playthrough to see Tiny Knuckles

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Evil Eagle posted:

Tiny Sonic...is good

Is that what's going on in the video? I've never seen that before.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I found a bug

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Got 100% trophies, had to reset my entire ps4 to get the boat one to unlock.
Will say this trophy was rude as hell

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I find it cool Knuckles has some unique boss fights.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

elf help book posted:

Looking forward to my Knuckles playthrough to see Tiny Knuckles

He's perfect

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I think Mania 2 should be 3D. Some kind of 3D adventure, even.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
gently caress these emerald stages, this poo poo was never good in Sonic CD either. That said, excellent game, will play and beat several more times.

Also please bring back bonus stages that actually reward me with lives and poo poo, thanks.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Evil Eagle posted:

He's perfect

In every way?

Frankston posted:

I think Mania 2 should be 3D. Some kind of 3D adventure, even.

I'm starting a gofundme to make sure you never post again

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/tyson_hesse/status/899418001371312128

https://twitter.com/tyson_hesse/status/899443970656174081

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Finally "got gud" over the weekend. Completed a few more blue spheres but still need to gold almost all of them. Got the 7 emeralds and the proper final boss as Sonic. Now im playing as Knuckles and its so relaxing to just soar around and explore. I'm at press garden and already have 6 emeralds.

I'm so bad at blue spheres that I reckon it's gonna be months before I finish them all. Awesome!

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

Tiny Sonic...is good

Metallic Madness was one of my least-favorite zones in the classic series but it's one of the best in Mania. They did some really good poo poo with it (and the music owns, which I think is literally the reason they went with it over Scrap Brain or Metropolis)

The difference in fun factor between CD's Tiny Sonic sections and Mania's are like night and day.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Here's what I'm thinking I'd like to see them change/add/shake up in a Sonic Mania sequel:

- A fourth playable character with their own movement options. We all know how to play Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles by now, and it'd give Whitehead and co. the experience they need to balance levels for more characters than the three we've gotten used to these past 20+ years. It doesn't have to be a NEW one, it can be someone like Metal or whatnot.
- New stage themes, or ones we've only seen in 3D titles, like urban cities and whatnot. Studiopolis is more a play on the classic pinball/carnival theme, with elements of a movie studio. I'm thinking something more like Speed Highway, Radical Highway, or City Escape.
- No old badniks at all. Each classic game introduced a whole new set of them, so we don't need to see Buzzbombers and Motobugs again.
- New movement or attack options for Knuckles and Tails. The Drop Dash is good for Sonic, but Tails and Knuckles need something new too. Maybe a downward attack for Knuckles that serves as a faster way of glide cancelling than simply stopping and falling. This could also open up new exploration options by giving him more ready access to underground secrets.
- New power ups. The elemental shields are fine, but we don't need them again. Yeah, their new environmental interactions are fun but this is the biggest area where I feel Mania gets too complacent.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
There's this small part of me that wants to see them full-on Lego-style parody the Adventure and later games. (Old school Lego, before they got voice acting). Like just try and tell the story of Sonic Adventure with Sonic Mania gameplay/stage design and level transition pantomime cutscenes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Evil Eagle posted:

Tiny Sonic...is good

Please do not post smallsonic

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Evil Eagle posted:

Tiny Sonic...is good

Small sonic was great in Sonic CD on the Sega CD system menu

Kind of wish I still had mine laying around now, :rip:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Mighty and Ray would be the logical choice for additional characters- though the chaotix would also work.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is a really cool video that explains the sampling and michael Jackson involvement pretty well

https://youtu.be/_Uko0fCp86c

This is loving hilarious to me because I remember this dude posting on Sonic-Cult back in 2003. When that username popped up, Jesus Christ. Can't think of WiteoutKing without "Blah blah blah, bitch moan whine." How wonderful.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think the biggest flaw of this game is the wonky jump physics in the special stage and the fact that it won't let you brake or drift.

Of course maybe it's just me being bad at the special stage.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
wait people are actually advocating for more "Sonic friends" in a future game

did none of you experience the last like, 20 years of games

e: Agree that Tails needs a faster way to drop from flight though

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Every single game prior to Sonic Adventure introduced a new character playable or otherwise.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

TheChirurgeon posted:

did none of you experience the last like, 20 years of games

e: Agree that Tails needs a faster way to drop from flight though

Sonic's friends weren't the problem. Both Sonic 2, and S&K introduced new playable characters.

Now at a certain point there gets to be feature bloat because you can only design sane maps with so many movement styles in mind, but "more characters" wasn't really the problems, plenty of good series have large casts.

Also I'd advocate Amy. IDK what her Sonic Advance iteration was like, but I'd say give her a very high, fast jump that preserves a lot of forward momentum, but no ball form. You have to manually hit a hammer button to bounce off an enemy. Kind of like needing to use instant shield every time. Spin dash could be kept or replaced with a leap forward. I also like the idea of rounding out the cast with Classic Amy like the Mega Drive comics did, she fit pretty well.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 21, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

TheChirurgeon posted:

I know. The thread is getting bad again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I wish the mean bean machine unlock was just all of regular mean bean machine

It's just not hard enough to be fun