Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I'm not in the military but what makes that hole bad? Water line? I think you guys have talked about how ships just don't need armor like in WW2 anymore but still blows me away how they crumple like a napkin when something happens. Like the Cole.. That was a big loving hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
had a friend ask what was gonna happen to these guys

same thing as the last ship but a few more people are gonna be in trouble

also every ship is gonna get a webcam or something else stupid in the bridge, I dunno, oh yah a lot of investigation to see if this is a fleet wide problem, blame game, then safety stand down for one day

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to send anything named McCain back to South East Asia?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

I'm not in the military but what makes that hole bad? Water line? I think you guys have talked about how ships just don't need armor like in WW2 anymore but still blows me away how they crumple like a napkin when something happens. Like the Cole.. That was a big loving hole.

being below the water line is bad, yah, you have to constantly pump water out if you can't plug the hole

you can only pump so much water and at a certain point, you begin to drift or sink

metal deformation is just how metal reacts under pressure and large ships have a large momentum

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
JSM was FDNF for years but I believe they're san diego based now. They were likely either coming or returning from the gulf. Little bit different than the fitz situation, but still bad.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Blind Rasputin posted:

They got nailed pretty good by a 30000 ton tanker, I don't think that any warship ever floated could just shrug that off.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Not to get all :tinfoil: but the BBC had a story about the Russians spoofing GPS in the Black Sea.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05cgy61

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yeah she's holed at and certainly below. That means a lot of water coming in. Hopefully that area can be sealed off with nothing critically important inside, otherwise she's drifting. Can anyone answer without getting into OPSEC territory whether warships have an emergency generator located above the waterline as commercial ships are required to have?

Third World Reggin posted:

had a friend ask what was gonna happen to these guys

same thing as the last ship but a few more people are gonna be in trouble

also every ship is gonna get a webcam or something else stupid in the bridge, I dunno, oh yah a lot of investigation to see if this is a fleet wide problem, blame game, then safety stand down for one day

Hard to say. Given the location of that hole it looks more like they were hit, but without having been there it's all just speculation.
It's a loving bad day for a lot of people regardless.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

it really depends if they determine that this is a fleet wide problem

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Two Finger posted:

Yeah she's holed at and certainly below. That means a lot of water coming in. Hopefully that area can be sealed off with nothing critically important inside, otherwise she's drifting. Can anyone answer without getting into OPSEC territory whether warships have an emergency generator located above the waterline as commercial ships are required to have?

No, they are not required to have a generator above the waterline. Warships will have 3 to 6+ generators depending on class, distributed throughout the ship to prevent loss of power if one section is hit.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

10 seamen missing

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Out of the 10 I wonder if any of them are stuck in a section they haven't been able to clear to yet or if they think all 10 are in the water.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Were they transiting into or out of Singapore?
As far as the 10 missing, it could be they were swept out of one of the berthings/engineering spaces, or that they went over a deck rail, lots of dudes topside during evolutions like this.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I believe they were headed into Singapore, though I'm not sure. According to tracking on the internet the tanker they hit was transiting from Taiwan to Singapore.

I'm not a DDG sailor, but talking to folks that are there are overflow berthings in that area. We may be looking at another FITZGERALD situation. :(

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Handsome Ralph posted:

Not to get all :tinfoil: but the BBC had a story about the Russians spoofing GPS in the Black Sea.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05cgy61

The industrial control systems (ICS) that control practically every part of commercial shipping vessels (especially navigation) are extremely vulnerable to hacking / spoofing / outright destruction. It's definitely not out of the realm of possibility.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

ManMythLegend posted:

I believe they were headed into Singapore, though I'm not sure. According to tracking on the internet the tanker they hit was transiting from Taiwan to Singapore.

I'm not a DDG sailor, but talking to folks that are there are overflow berthings in that area. We may be looking at another FITZGERALD situation. :(

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHuSgs2VYAArtZM.jpg:large This is a chart some Malaysian brass tweeted.

https://www.vesselfinder.com/ Looks like it was about here (23 45N 104 20E if the tracker doesn't auto zoom you where I was looking).

LordNad fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 21, 2017

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

re: dumb destroyers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shipwrecks_in_2017

didn't think our track record was that good

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

LordNad posted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHuSgs2VYAArtZM.jpg:large This is a chart some Singaporean brass tweeted.

https://www.vesselfinder.com/ Looks like it was about here (23 45N 104 20E if the tracker doesn't auto zoom you where I was looking).

Yeah, that's the approaches to the Singapore Strait. (Also that's the Malaysian CNO, not Singaporean.)

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah, that's the approaches to the Singapore Strait. (Also that's the Malaysian CNO, not Singaporean.)

Fixed thank you

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
https://mobile.twitter.com/RealAlex...6547%23lastpost

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Bannon looks accurate and has the Thor's Hammer tattoo on his shoulder to symbolize his white supremacist beliefs.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Do these gently caress ups have to do with op tempo or some kind of systemic training or cultural issue? I have a limited amount of in insight into the navy but, I was Army back in 05 so I saw mistakes happening due to year on year off deployment cycles with jrtc thrown in.

Also I just got home from my honeymoon.
I'm not sure if it's my membership to Iraq Veterans Against the War back before they got weird, or posting in this sub-forum, but I haven't been able to take a trip without being "randomly selected" for additional screening atleast once. For reference I am a white guy.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Bored As gently caress posted:

The industrial control systems (ICS) that control practically every part of commercial shipping vessels (especially navigation) are extremely vulnerable to hacking / spoofing / outright destruction. It's definitely not out of the realm of possibility.

Wouldn't that be an act of war or something?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

https://twitter.com/TODAYshow/status/899590013616181248

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.e2d6bf99ea7f

Washington post article from yesterday profiling six alt right members. Tldr: their lives sucked and the alt right gave them a sense of belonging and a way to blame others for their problems. I'll highlight one who has aspergers and two who have been to jail. Another one complains that his local Walmart was all black workers and whites people can't get jobs.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Bored As gently caress posted:

Those systems are far from integrated, and there are still humans in the loop. Even if everything on the bridge hosed up, people are yet to figure out a way to hack windows, and the guy on watch should have seen the destroyer and turned.

The Speed 2: Cruise Control scenario is still science fiction, and that movie had plot holes big enough to sail a ship through. The vast, vast majority of the fluff in articles about GPS or AIS spoofing bing used to hijack cargo ship is sensationalist bullshit.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

FastestGunAlive posted:

Washington post article from yesterday profiling six alt right members. Tldr: their lives sucked and the alt right gave them a sense of belonging and a way to blame others for their problems. I'll highlight one who has aspergers and two who have been to jail. Another one complains that his local Walmart was all black workers and whites people can't get jobs.

Hmmm, how odd that it seems to mimic the way ISIS recruited young men. :thunk:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

ManMythLegend posted:

Well you see it is actually the liberals who are Isis because tearing down traitor statues erected years after a war by groups attempting to push a false narrative is the same as destroying ancient history. Stop trying to rewrite history to reflect what actually happened, snowflakes!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

FastestGunAlive posted:

What I'm taking away from this is we basically had our next crop of McVeighs all in one place last weekend.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
What's shocking is how easily the GOP get's a pass for basically both stirring up these assholes for 8 years and then acting shocked that they are as racist and bigoted as they encouraged them to be all during Obama's administration.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 21, 2017

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Sergg posted:

Bannon looks accurate and has the Thor's Hammer tattoo on his shoulder to symbolize his white supremacist beliefs.

Wait, what? I got a mjolnir, but it was because my undergrad was in viking history and a bunch of us were dicking around Denmark. Is it a white power thing?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Most Norse symbols have been co-opted by the neo-nazi movement, yeah.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

white supremacists ruin everything

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

psydude posted:

What I'm taking away from this is we basically had our next crop of McVeighs all in one place last weekend.

If you want a real mindfuck watch the 'Oklahoma City' documentary on Netflix. It goes through Ruby Ridge and Waco and the related protests before, during and after. It's uh... discouraging to watch and feel like the exact same things are happening right now with a lot of the same people (or their direct descendants) involved.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Slightly off topic: Remember the guy who sunk his home-made submarine with that female reporter?

He's up and admitted he buried her at sea. Then 'accidentally' sunk the submarine. Yeah, he's toast.

http://www.mynewsdesk.com/dk/koebenhavns-politi/pressreleases/ulykke-ombord-paa-ubaaden-2114877

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Smiling Jack posted:

white supremacists ruin everything

Norway has this camp for adults where you learn about the Vikings and do non-violent viking stuff like build longboats, craft things, etc.

They apparently have to go out of their way to make sure white supremacists don't show up to ruin it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FrozenVent posted:

Most Norse symbols have been co-opted by the neo-nazi movement, yeah.

They even co-oped the Vineland flag from Type O Negative. The ADL page even mentions you should be careful as they may just be Type O fans.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

ManMythLegend posted:

...but you see Charlottesville wasn't terrorism because reasons. It is only terrorism when someone who fails the paper bag test gets in a vehicle and drives through a crowd of people. That's obviously an ISIS plot to overthrow the world install sharia and if any of them drat mooslims tell you different it's taco-ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

CommieGIR posted:

What's shocking is how easily the GOP get's a pass for basically both stirring up these assholes for 8 years and then acting shocked that they are as racist and bigoted as they encouraged them to be all during Obama's administration.

I agree with you but I feel like the shock is half hearted. We saw a lot of strong condemnation from republicans after Charlottesville but in my opinion it was just lip service.

• Locked thread